New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Sermil and the Banter of Randomness: Random Banter #228

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Look, somebody brings up Little Shop of horrors, I'm going to start quoting my favorite song in the movieplay.
    I don't remember the movie having much singing. Did have a psionic plant and a gullible burglar though.

Subsequent to the events you have just witneeeeeessssed, similar events in cities across Amerrrrrica....
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I don't remember the movie having much singing. Did have a psionic plant and a gullible burglar though.

Subsequent to the events you have just witneeeeeessssed, similar events in cities across Amerrrrrica....
    The one with Rick Moranis has quite a bit of singing, particularly the song I was quoting "Feed Me"

Though, I would not be surprised if there was some version with no singing I am unaware of. Apoarently, no singing is the only form of movie "Heathers" comes in.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Colossus in the Playground

The Little Shop of Horrors was originally a black and white B movie from 1960. It had no singing until ti was adapted to the Stage.

Huh. I wonder if Little shop getting a stage musical adaption caused the same feelings back then as my finding out about the Beetlejuice Musical. "I don't know why this exists or who thought this was a good idea but I need it."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Titan in the Playground

The one with Rick Moranis has quite a bit of singing, particularly the song I was quoting "Feed Me"

Though, I would not be surprised if there was some version with no singing I am unaware of. Apoarently, no singing is the only form of movie "Heathers" comes in.
    I mean, there's the musicless film and the stag musical (events which bore a striking resemblance, to the ones you have seen began occurring...), and now you're teliing me that there's a second film!? [color=white]Albeit a film I already knew about and have seen, significantly worse than the stage musical though.[/color[

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I mean, there's the musicless film and the stag musical (events which bore a striking resemblance, to the ones you have seen began occurring...), and now you're teliing me that there's a second film!?
    You might want to fix the the typo. "Stag musical" says something entirely different from "Stage musical".

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, man. I work out like crazy this week. Time for taking a break.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    You know how Little Shop of Horrors was a movie, then a Stage musical, then got adapted back into a movie?

Is it bad that I want that to happen with the Beetlejuice Musical?
    I think that would depend largely on whether the Beetlejuice musical is based more on the original movie or the animated series.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #1209

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I think that would depend largely on whether the Beetlejuice musical is based more on the original movie or the animated series.
    Basic plot of the movie, but with details changed: The Maitlends were married for years couple who were nervous and making excuses to put off having kids and died in a freak accident, Betelgeuse is changed from an old ghost trying to be free of some curse to a demon who wants to be human(though he's still referred to as being "dead" and by the distinction isn't really elaborated on,) Delia is changed from Lydia's stepmother to a live-in new-age life coach that's nominally supposed to be helping Lydia get over her depression over her mother's death several months ago but who is secretly sleeping with her dad, Otho doesn't show up until the dinner party, the fact that Lydia's mother is dead actually plays a major role. Lydia is legitimately depressed and potentially suicidal instead of just being anti-social and maybe having a mistaken idea of what being a ghost is like, and so on

Some of the ghost "rules" are different(notably, once you go into the NEtherworld, living or dead, you aren't allowed to leave, so most of those sequences are replaced or altered) and Betelgeuse's rules are changed from "say my name three times" to "a living person has to say my name three times in a row."

There is a sequence of him and Lydia hanging out and screening around with people in the middle of the play, but that's about it and it gets back on the track of the movie plot when it becomes clear that this scheme isn't gonna work out.

Spoiler
    Show
    And Juno, the woman with the slashed throat who was the Maitland's caseworker? Here, she's a demon, Betelgeuse's mother, and comes to earth to get Lydia for breaking the rules about leaving the Netherworld.

She, not BJ, who gets eaten by a Sandworm.

The play simultaneously tones down and lampshades Betelgeuse's status as a perverted old man. He perves on Barbara just the same, but it's explicitly and repeatedly emphasized that the marriage plot at the end is meant as a "sham green card marriage" and he intents to run off as soon as the ceremony is over and he's human. On the other hand... I'll just link the song.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Titan in the Playground

Basic plot of the movie, but with details changed: The Maitlends were married for years couple who were nervous and making excuses to put off having kids and died in a freak accident, Betelgeuse is changed from an old ghost trying to be free of some curse to a demon who wants to be human(though he's still referred to as being "dead" and by the distinction isn't really elaborated on,) Delia is changed from Lydia's stepmother to a live-in new-age life coach that's nominally supposed to be helping Lydia get over her depression over her mother's death several months ago but who is secretly sleeping with her dad, Otho doesn't show up until the dinner party, the fact that Lydia's mother is dead actually plays a major role. Lydia is legitimately depressed and potentially suicidal instead of just being anti-social and maybe having a mistaken idea of what being a ghost is like, and so on
    Sounds even less like the animated series than the movie was. Sigh, such a lost opportunity....Admittedly the series' divergence from the movie was drastic enough that I wouldn't really realize they were supposed to be connected for years (though being eight and unmoved by the TV ads for movie are probably factors there), and I can totally understand that there are probably more people who've seen the movie than know there was a series; but dang it, a series with a deep basis in wordplay seem like it'd translate well to a musical.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #1211

Lizardfolk

Salutations. I have returned.
    Currently in the middle of an online dnd quest which is turning out pretty cool!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

12. - Top - End - #1212

What the hell does "choppy" mean?

It just popped into my head, but back in third or fourth grade writing you'd get points taken off for "choppy sentences" but they never told us what that meant and I remember it seeming really inconsistent at the time.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It just popped into my head, but back in third or fourth-grade writing you'd get points taken off for "choppy sentences" but they never told us what that meant and I remember it seeming really inconsistent at the time.
    Definition of choppy: (of a sea or river) having many small waves.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

It just popped into my head, but back in third or fourth grade writing you'd get points taken off for "choppy sentences" but they never told us what that meant and I remember it seeming really inconsistent at the time.
    In theory, sentences that are too short and repeat the same words often.

Today, pizza for lunch. Thinking pepperoni, sausage and ham.

Saturday, I'll be trying out a new Java Monster flavor (well, new to me) Swiss Chocolate.

Also Saturday, D&D, whoooo.

15. - Top - End - #1215

Basically what Muse below says, and like almost every rule you learn in school, it's actually bull**** and the reality is you can make anything look good if you write it well enough. Your memory of it being an inconsistent rule is 100% correct, because it is.

In theory, sentences that are too short and repeat the same words often.

Today, pizza for lunch. Thinking pepperoni, sausage and ham.

Saturday, I'll be trying out a new Java Monster flavor (well, new to me) Swiss Chocolate.

Also Saturday, D&D, whoooo.
    As seen here! These are good sentences. You don't want a whole book like this obviously, but there are times where this sort of sentencing works and this is a great example as to when you would want it.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, stream-of-consciousness writing on a message board, and writing for schooleork aren't exactly equivalent.

17. - Top - End - #1217

...So if you ever hear breaking news about a supervillain arising in the Midwest, it's probably me, and you can probably blame something to do with the school system for pushing me over the edge enough to crack out that crate of experimental military-grade mutagens, alien hormones, and genetic samples of various experimental animal hybrids that I found buried in my back yard when I was five.

(Joking, obviously... Unless I'm not)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Basically what Muse below says, and like almost every rule you learn in school, it's actually bull**** and the reality is you can make anything look good if you write it well enough.
    Language is like music, you can break the rules and do it well but you have to learn the rules first. Choppy sentences can absolutely work well, but dollars to doughnuts a ten-year-old won't be doing it well.

Prescriptivist teaching is good in grade school. It should be slowly shifted towards descriptivist teaching throughout high school, and by college, you should be able to write well. Should, of course, being the operative word there.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Language is like music, you can break the rules and do it well but you have to learn the rules first. Choppy sentences can absolutely work well, but dollars to doughnuts a ten-year-old won't be doing it well.

Prescriptivist teaching is good in grade school. It should be slowly shifted towards descriptivist teaching throughout high school, and by college, you should be able to write well. Should, of course, being the operative word there.
    This very much. I had a professor chew out my grad school class about the proper relationship between parenthesis, quotation marks and footnotes once. "It's right and proper to break the rules deliberately. It's obvious when you do it accidentally."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Salutations. I have returned.
    Currently in the middle of an online dnd quest which is turning out pretty cool!
    While I'm here, writing and buying new games, while unable to have the regular free time to have a weekly game. So completely jealous

On sentence fragments. They can be a good device. But use with caution. Makes things hard to read. Particularly if overused. Like hydraulics in Scrapheap.

Show

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    We'd need a Les Misérables book based on the movie of the musical based on the book to get a better framework to answer your question.
    Note to self: Decide wether to brutally murder Cazero.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

My father (who I live with) is planning to go to an indoor restaurant tomorrow with my brother (who lives at the only other place I could go) and I live in America.

I'm scared.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

23. - Top - End - #1223

Lizardfolk

While I'm here, writing and buying new games, while unable to have the regular free time to have a weekly game. So completely jealous

On sentence fragments. They can be a good device. But use with caution. Makes things hard to read. Particularly if overused. Like hydraulics in Scrapheap.
    Yeah I just finished the term for school, which is.. feeling stressful as it means exams are.. too close for my liking.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Titan in the Playground

Remind them to have their masks up while not actually taking-a-bite? Don't need a mask down to chew or chat.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ogre in the Playground

I exist again! That is to say, I have internet again. Also, since RJ and I were the only ones around to set it up, our network has a Dragon Quest name. This makes me happier than it probably should.

I got a COVID test yesterday. I was thinking that the swab would be more like a Q-tip. It was not. It was a little like a oral hygiene implement that I got jammed up my nose.

I'm hoping that I can get back to making book posts again, because doing a read-along was a lot of fun.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I exist again! That is to say, I have internet again. Also, since RJ and I were the only ones around to set it up, our network has a Dragon Quest name. This makes me happier than it probably should.

I got a COVID test yesterday. I was thinking that the swab would be more like a Q-tip. It was not. It was a little like a oral hygiene implement that I got jammed up my nose.

I'm hoping that I can get back to making book posts again, because doing a read-along was a lot of fun.
    My wifi network has been named The HoloNet for as long as I can remember.

Welcome back! I hated the COVID test. They swab your brain. Though mine s basically a super long Q-tip.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-09-26 at 12:27 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #1227

The older I get, the more I sympathize with Dr. Horrible.

Like, the thing with how he approaches getting with the girl he likes... Hasn't aged well, but in general hus verses in My Eyes strike more and more of a cord with me every time I come back to them.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The older I get, the more I sympathize with Dr. Horrible.

Like, the thing with how he approaches getting with the girl he likes... Hasn't aged well, but in general hus verses in My Eyes strike more and more of a cord with me every time I come back to them.
    To be fair to the to the writers, his approach to Penny was supposed to be terrible.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Titan in the Playground

I've been looking into getting physical copies of the Doctor Who RPG books, and some things are just annoying me.

Like the fact that the book on Time Lords is out of print.

Like, I get that the new series is doing everything it can to make the Doctor the specialest person ever, including killing the Time Lords off forever twice*, but not only are the Time Lords still a big part of the expanded universe, surely classic series fans are also picking up the RPG. I don't care about the new characters as much as I want to run a Celestial Intervention Agency game, so where's my hardback Time Lords book?

But then again I suppose that Day of the Doctor confirmed that the BBC doesn't really care about the classic series. But really, how hard would it be for Cubicle 7 to release an updated Time Traveller's Companion (or heck, a book on Gallifrey and it's history, I'm sure they can find a way to use EU stuff in one of those). It's not that I don't have it in pdf, it's that having a physical book is so much nicer for an in-person game.

* And other things I'd really not like to argue about again.

Show

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I really don't understand why some people comment on these nasty insults and name-calling. Like if you really don't like my video then don't watch it then. I don't go to their channel and say nasty things on your video and I bet that none of these morons don't have any videos at all. I'm just so sick and tired of these trolls attacking me on my videos.