New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Policy on requesting a name in use by an inactive user?

I know about the name change thread but it doesn't have any information on this topic specifically. This one seems to vary widely from place to place.

The name I want is in use but the user is inactive. Last activity listed on the profile is 2016-05-24 07:19 PM and the last post I could find was 5/4/16. Would this name available to request for a name change?
    A man who dies fighting with his principles intact dies in glory. To expect enemies to follow the same code of honor defiles that honor, reducing it to a set of arbitrary rules.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Policy on requesting a name in use by an inactive user?

That seems like something which could cause severe administration issues down the line, for any forum. What if they try to log back in? Because I'm pretty sure giving you the name would require shutting down their account, or at least changing the account name.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Policy on requesting a name in use by an inactive user?

Sheriff: Unfortunately, no. This has come up before and the broadly applicable policy is that once a name is taken, it's taken. People can come back from long times away but also just, the name is taken.

Might there be some extremely fringe case where a name was taken by a zero-post or one-post spam bot or something and we could reassign it? Maybe. But it hasn't happened yet, and it would be exceedingly rare.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex