New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Jim Butcher's Peace Talks: Dresden Files Book 16 [Contains Spoilers]

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe 1304 was the century the outsiders decided to take a break, because they knew this starborn nonsense was coming again and they just didnt want to put up with it for a while.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Jim Butcher's Peace Talks: Dresden Files Book 16 [Contains Spoilers]

Sad that we're a hundred years off for Jeanne d'Arc on that one.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Dude, time passes differently in the Nevernever. It's trivial for us to come up with an explanation. Clearly, someone anticipated that the Outsiders would be causing trouble in about a century, and arranged for a Starborn to be displaced in time to fight them.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Two weeks to the next book! I can hardly wait.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So i was re-reading through Peace Talks in anticipation of the next one in a couple of weeks, and something caught my eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    When Mab was mortal, she evidently had some connection to Merlin (as in the original Merlin) and he rejected her in some way. Could Mab have been Morgana La Fey as a mortal? IIRC, it was Morgana's athame that was given to Lea which infected her, and a personal artifact like that would have special significance to its former wielder, such that it could be used against them. We also know the title La Fey and its variants are given out to mortal wizards who have a lot of known association with the actual faeries, like Dresden's mother did. Perhaps she came into the mantle of the winter queen in a way similar to Molly?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So i was re-reading through Peace Talks in anticipation of the next one in a couple of weeks, and something caught my eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    When Mab was mortal, she evidently had some connection to Merlin (as in the original Merlin) and he rejected her in some way. Could Mab have been Morgana La Fey as a mortal? IIRC, it was Morgana's athame that was given to Lea which infected her, and a personal artifact like that would have special significance to its former wielder, such that it could be used against them. We also know the title La Fey and its variants are given out to mortal wizards who have a lot of known association with the actual faeries, like Dresden's mother did. Perhaps she came into the mantle of the winter queen in a way similar to Molly?
    Possible, but we don't have enough information to really delve into the issue.

Incidentally, I have a theory on the Dresden Files timeline. As we all know, until Peace Talks, the books were coming out about a year apart, and the events in them were for the most part also about a year apart. But even though Peace Talks came out 5 years after Skin Game, the events of Skin Game are referenced as having happened the previous year. But we know that Peace Talks doesn't take place in 2016 (the year after Skin Game came out) because there is a mention of the 2019 fire at Norte-Dame de Paris. So Peace Talks has to take place in either 2019 or 2020; that means that Skin Game has to take place in either 2018 or 2019. So my theory is that Storm Front doesn't take place in the year it was written (2000) but rather in either 2004 or 2005, and the time of each of the other books moves up as well. Thoughts?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

I would be all for it, since that would make Dresdens most likely Birth year either that of my best Pal, or my own. ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

8. - Top - End - #128

RedWizardGuy

Something I noticed my second time through was:

Spoiler
    Show
    The grumpy old man across the street from the Carpenters glared at Harry while wearing a red baseball cap.
    And the Redcap is part of Molly's entourage now...so that's likely him, assigned to watch the family. Betcha he'll do some rules lawyering for stuff with Maggie.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

I just finished reading it. Cannot wait for the next one.

Do we have to spoiler-tag everything? It makes this thread damnably difficult to navigate, and frankly, if you're not caught up, there's no reason you should be reading a [Contains Spoilers] thread in the first place.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Normally I'd agree, but given that it's only half a story, I think it's reasonable to keep spoiling things until a bit after Battle Grounds comes out.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Y'know, I actually got the impression that Mab was maybe Nimue, not Morgana, although I'd have to re-read the book to check why I thought that. Something about betraying Merlin, maybe..?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Y'know, I actually got the impression that Mab was maybe Nimue, not Morgana, although I'd have to re-read the book to check why I thought that. Something about betraying Merlin, maybe..?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Morgana has the explicit connection to the faeries, and Nimue is kind of dubiously mortal to begin with, much more so than Morgana. I suspect we'll find out in a few days here.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the book referred to Merlin like Mab was his apprentice; thus, Nimue rather than Morgan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    That was my impression as well, but it's not a certainty.

15. - Top - End - #135

Found Peace Talks to be aggressively mediocre. The overall plot was focusing on what I cared about the least in the entire book.

Then the action wasn't as punchy as it usually is the dialog wasn't good (apparently Dresden cares more about pancakes than anybody has ever cared about anything in the history of the world.) And the plot was clearly just a dress rehearsal for Battleground. And I still have to pay full price for both books.