New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Let's Happy Dream! - Amechra plays END ROLL [COMPLETE]

Hey folks, long time no see! I, um, lost my account password for a bit, and was too lazy to fix that until earlier today. Oops?

While I was gone, I got back into the whole "uploading videos on the regular" thing. I posted quick peeks at a turn-based vertical shooter and a weird Groundhog's Day visual novel. However, I also started on my white whale, a little game named END ROLL.

END ROLL is a surprisingly in-depth indie horror JRPG about a boy named Russell, who is part of a weird, definitely-qualifies-as-cruel-and-unusual-punishment rehabilitation program for his (unspecified) crimes. All he has to do is take a daily dose of the Happy Dream drug, and have pleasant dreams, filled with friendly, familiar faces. It gets worse from there - much worse.

Anyway, here's the first video in the playlist. I currently have the first five videos uploaded and live (this is way longer than the other games I've played), and I'd really appreciate some feedback either here or on Youtube - I'm still new to this whole thing, and this is my biggest project yet.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2020-10-19 at 09:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Happy Dream! - Amechra plays END ROLL

For anyone who's interested, there's a choice coming up. I've set up a poll to get some audience opinions.

More information is here. (0:35)
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

It's a day late, but here's the continuing saga of Russell, the great guy who has never done anything wrong: Part 6.

Today, we visit the gloomy town of Darcover, where it's always night and the big tourist hotspot is the graveyard. How... fun. In any case, we meet up with Dogma and enter our next dungeon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Hello there everyone. I got you a birthday present: Part 8 - No More Birthdays (33:28)

We went back into the Sad Birthday for the last time. I hope everyone had fun at the party.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2020-07-27 at 05:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I thought I was going to make a short episode, but... Part 9 - Wise and Priestly Duties (44:27)

Today we got the last Guilt event that you have to get on Day 4 (after some running around like a chicken with its head cut off), and then we used two Compasses and visited their respective areas. The next video will be back to plot, I promise.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I am bad at short episodes lately, huh. Part 10: Some Quaint Mountain Dragons (47:27)

In this video, we find out exactly what the deal is with Kantera, and Gardenia starts her journey to ultimate power.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

And we're finishing out Day 4 with Part 11: Ice to Meet You (46:29)

Look, penguins are involved. I had to use the pun.

And, because we're finishing out the day, how about some movies? Special 2: Movies with a Doctor (9:50)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

We're starting off Day 5 with a mega episode. Part 12 - More Like Eleven (53:04)

Basically, there are two "secret" characters that you can pick up starting on Day 5. And, since they probably have movie scenes, I had to grab them before I started the main plot. And that, my friends, involved beating up a lot of bosses. Oh, and there's some drama involved concerning a few of the Dreamsend characters. It's... eventful, is what I'm saying.

---

Alright, here's a question: what are people's favorite characters so far? This may, in fact, be related to something that will be happening on Day 6.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

An hour late but still on the date!

OK, so, I have a horrible confession to make: I have a terribly short attention span. Which is why we start the plot today and then immediately bum around in Seaside. Sorry. Part 13: Fun in the Sun (43:34)

One thing that's happened over the course of the last few videos is that they've been gradually getting longer. The next couple of videos will be 50+ minutes long. If that's a problem for people, I can start actually setting a timer instead of just picking arbitrary starting and stopping times.

And the "favorite character" question is still open, if anyone is interested in giving their opinion (this thread has almost 17k views - at least one of you has to have one, right? )

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, now we're actually going to continue with The Plot. And I don't feel good about it, honestly. Mireille's story is a definite step-up when it comes to nastiness - let's leave it at that for right now.

Part 14: The Nurse Will See You Now (54:09)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

So, this video was going to be over an hour long, and that was just too long. So I cut it in half, and slipped the "normal" ending in at the end.

But hey. We get to finally finish up that aquarium area, and we learn something... interesting... about Russell, in... Part 15 - Under The Sea (37:37)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, we have two shorter videos today, closing out Day 5.

Part 16: Such a Pity (28:37) {CW: Dead animals. Yes, I feel like I need to add another CW here.}
    Special #3: Movies and Introspection (17:55)

For anyone who has been skipping over the videos where I cover movies, I suggest watching this one. Or, at least, the first 10 minutes of it. Something... unexpected... came up, and I probably won't be covering it again.

---

OK, so, at the start of Day 6 there's a choice. You have to pick either Yumi or one of the playable characters (other than Walter or Raymond) as your "buddy" for some plot stuff coming up - the game doesn't actually let you do anything until you make this choice. The biggest hitch here is that the person you pick changes the ending.

Now, I don't know if I'll have the time or energy to run through the final two days seven times - grad school is making demands on my time. Now, my preference would be to pick Yumi, since this might be the only way we can recruit her. However, if anyone wants to see the ending for a different character, just tell me.

I'll probably put up a more formal poll video later tonight, if I have the time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Due to time constraints on my end, I decided to just go ahead with Day 6. Not that there's much to do - we actually finish up the last non-Guilt Event side quest in this video right here:

Part 17: Finishing Up The Sidequests (28:17)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Unfortunately, I have some bad news for anyone paying attention to this thread. Due to family circumstances and school, I'm going on hiatus (1:24). There will be an END ROLL video going live tonight, but after that, I'm going to be quiet for a bit.

Be seeing you.

And here's that video: Part 18 - Enjoying the Festival (35:07)
    Last edited by Amechra; 2020-08-31 at 05:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

I have positive news! My life has recently restabilized to the point where I'm confidant that I'll be able to upload things going forward. As a result, I'm starting to upload stuff again, using the END ROLL videos I've already recorded as a buffer.

So, without further ado... Part 19: Scraps of Guilt (23:05), where we've finally gotten the last Guilt Event. We are maximally guilty, which is important for what comes next.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

And this is it - the final "main" video in the series: Part 20 - From Cradle to Grave (27:14). It's a grim one, but it never really could've been any different.

That being said, we aren't done with END ROLL just yet. There will be a few more videos going up next week, covering some stuff that I missed and some postgame content.

This has been my longest LP by a long shot, and I greatly appreciate everyone who has followed along for the 12 hours, 45 minutes, and 53 seconds that this journey has taken so far.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Two videos today: Part 21: Some Time Off (18:12) and Let's Chat About END ROLL (34:55)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, I'm a little late with posting about this, but here we are - the end of END ROLL.

First off, we have the secret bonus dungeon that was added in the last big post 1.0 version, The Book Graveyard (44:31). And then we spend some quality time hanging out with our friends in Zeroes and Ones (1:02:31).

And with those two videos, I'm done. This is probably the longest anything I've ever worked on, and I feel like I've learned a lot doing it. I hope everyone who actually took a look at the videos enjoyed their time with the game as much as I did.

That's game.