Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233
Results 961 to 984 of 984
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BardGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    By all means, given that I just copy-pasted it from the wikipedia page on truisms.

    GW
    For one so normally detail-oriented I'm a little surprised. Relatively speaking the sun only appears to rise. Though "The viewing arc we define as "sky" continues to rotate on a daily basis repeatedly revealing and obscuring the sun" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

  2. - Top - End - #962
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2012

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Additional information: In 1223 we learn that the trap in the tomb is divination + conjuration magic.

    We also know that the MITD did not detect the trap , or the MITD wouldn't have bothered painting the doors.

    So either the MITD didn't detect the magical emanations of the trap, or the MITD did but didn't know what they meant.

    If option #2, I don't think we have new information, but if option #1, does this give us any insight into the list of possible suspects which the MITD would be ?

    Respectfully,

    Brian P.
    This tells us that he doesn't have levels in rogue and isn't a monster with the rogue's trap finding ability.

    Or it could just be that his search skill isn't good enough.
    Last edited by Corwin Icewolf; 2021-01-27 at 03:07 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    For one so normally detail-oriented I'm a little surprised. Relatively speaking the sun only appears to rise. Though "The viewing arc we define as "sky" continues to rotate on a daily basis repeatedly revealing and obscuring the sun" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
    That's only a question of point of view.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    For one so normally detail-oriented I'm a little surprised. Relatively speaking the sun only appears to rise. Though "The viewing arc we define as "sky" continues to rotate on a daily basis repeatedly revealing and obscuring the sun" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
    As per special relativity, there is no privileged frame of reference, and in a frame of reference tied to the Earth's rotation, the sun does rise on a semi-regular basis.


    (link)

    GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-01-27 at 03:08 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  5. - Top - End - #965
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    For one so normally detail-oriented I'm a little surprised. Relatively speaking the sun only appears to rise.
    Oh, sure, if you're on a planet. All of which take up approximately 0% of the space in the universe.

    And even then, you have to not be tidally locked, so it's not even all planets.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-27 at 03:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    We're from Europe, not a mirror dimension.

  6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, sure, if you're on a planet. All of which take up approximately 0% of the space in the universe.
    "The universe was divided into two parts, separated by a five centimetre shell of monomolecular steel. On the inner side was the interior of the luxury yacht One Jump Ahead, superbly outfitted for one passenger [...]
    On the other side was the rest of the universe, composed almost entirely of nothing with a trace of hydrogen."

    Terry Pratchett, The Dark Side of the Sun
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-01-27 at 03:25 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  7. - Top - End - #967
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crusher's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The sticks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    "The universe was divided into two parts, separated by a five centimetre shell of monomolecular steel. On the inner side was the interior of the luxury yacht One Jump Ahead, superbly outfitted for one passenger [...]
    On the other side was the rest of the universe, composed almost entirely of nothing with a trace of hydrogen."

    Terry Pratchett, The Dark Side of the Sun
    Oh, that reminds me, and I suppose its no more off-topic than anything else, has anyone seen The Watch? I have mixed feelings and I'm curious what others thought.
    "Its a setting less visitor-friendly than the Red Wedding." - 111balz

  8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Oh, that reminds me, and I suppose its no more off-topic than anything else, has anyone seen The Watch? I have mixed feelings and I'm curious what others thought.
    No, I didn't even bother to give it a try. I already considered the attempt to be a moonshot at best - it's just not an easy plot or cast of characters to sell to the general public who aren't Discworld enthusiasts - and when Rhianna decried it, I wrote it off.

    GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-01-27 at 04:22 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Oh, that reminds me, and I suppose its no more off-topic than anything else, has anyone seen The Watch? I have mixed feelings and I'm curious what others thought.
    This might be of interest.

    Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, I didn't even bother to give it a try. I already considered the attempt to be a moonshot at best - it's just not an easy plot of cast of characters to sell to the general public who aren't Discworld enthusiasts - and when Rhianna decried it, I wrote it off.

    GW
    You know, it just dawned on me that I have spent most of today alone with the friend who intoduced me to Discworld way back when and thz subject never even came up.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-01-27 at 04:22 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #970
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crusher's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The sticks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    This might be of interest.

    Edit:

    You know, it just dawned on me that I have spent most of today alone with the friend who intoduced me to Discworld way back when and thz subject never even came up.
    Oh, thank you. I seldom venture to that part of the forums. Their take is a little more negative than mine, but I hadn't read all the books and perhaps had fewer hopes to dash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, I didn't even bother to give it a try. I already considered the attempt to be a moonshot at best - it's just not an easy plot or cast of characters to sell to the general public who aren't Discworld enthusiasts - and when Rhianna decried it, I wrote it off.

    GW
    You have chosen... wisely.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-01-27 at 05:18 PM.
    "Its a setting less visitor-friendly than the Red Wedding." - 111balz

  11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ThePhantasm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Gotham City

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    I know the theory that others of MiTD's kind will show up in Serini's dungeon is an old one. But something about the latest strip makes it feel more likely to me. Roy says that the trick portal is meant to keep something in, and that's a setup for a dramatic reveal if I've ever heard one. Would make sense for the reveal to do double duty, and it would be interesting if O'Chul was captured to be fed to a creature of MiTD's type, only for their friendship to save him.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

    The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

  12. - Top - End - #972
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Additional information: In 1223 we learn that the trap in the tomb is divination + conjuration magic.

    We don't know if the trap is present behind other doors.

  13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    We don't know if the trap is present behind other doors.
    We know it is present behind at least another door. Given that they opened two doors at random and both had traps, the parsimonious assumption is that it is behind every door, unless shown otherwise. There might be one or two exceptions, special doors without traps, but I find it unlikely given the evidence so far.

    Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  14. - Top - End - #974
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    We know it is present behind at least another door. Given that they opened two doors at random and both had traps, the parsimonious assumption is that it is behind every door, unless shown otherwise. There might be one or two exceptions, special doors without traps, but I find it unlikely given the evidence so far.
    True, but we don't know. We also don't know if they're all the same trap.

  15. - Top - End - #975
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2020

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    So, another bit of info that someone perhaps has pointed out. But perhaps not.

    At one point, Belkar was tracking MITD. He was confused about the tracks. Granted, he sucks at tracking but he knew that what he was looking at were "weird". He was good enough to know it wasn't Roy, but had no idea what made them. So...he leaves tracks in 474.

    Fast forward years into the future, and in 1039 he does not appear to leave any tracks in the snow - at least, no WEIRD tracks in the snow.

    That would suggest to me that either he is flying/levitating or is using the psionic disciple of Body Equilibrium. It basically makes it so that you don't break the surface of things that can't normally bear your weight - they suggest water, but also things like lava. Snow would probably also qualify. Anyway, I am sure someone mentioned it before but in case not I thought I would bring it up.

  16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Grey_Wolf_c's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomToon View Post
    Anyway, I am sure someone mentioned it before but in case not I thought I would bring it up.
    See Section 2c: Tracks

    GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

  17. - Top - End - #977
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2020

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    See Section 2c: Tracks

    GW
    D'oh!

    I spent so much time looking at pics and stat entries, I forgot to go back to the basics and read the original threads. Lol. My bad.

  18. - Top - End - #978
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Have we discussed the possibility of the umbrella being necessary before?

    Imagine if the Monster were a Prismasaurus, for instance. Being in darkness would stop the Monster emanating Prismatic rays. Okay, that's an extreme example. But then there was the circus scene where there were extreme reactions to seeing the Monster.

    We know that the Monster Hunters, Xykon, Redcloak and Oona all know what the Monster is, but they are all high level, whereas the people in the circus are most likely very low level. Likewise - importantly - so are the bulk of the goblins in Gobbotopia. And Redcloak couldn't have the Monster adversely affecting them, could he? So what if the Monster had an aura that people of high level were likely to resist? Or to which to become resilient?

  19. - Top - End - #979
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2020

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Have we discussed the possibility of the umbrella being necessary before?

    Imagine if the Monster were a Prismasaurus, for instance. Being in darkness would stop the Monster emanating Prismatic rays. Okay, that's an extreme example. But then there was the circus scene where there were extreme reactions to seeing the Monster.

    We know that the Monster Hunters, Xykon, Redcloak and Oona all know what the Monster is, but they are all high level, whereas the people in the circus are most likely very low level. Likewise - importantly - so are the bulk of the goblins in Gobbotopia. And Redcloak couldn't have the Monster adversely affecting them, could he? So what if the Monster had an aura that people of high level were likely to resist? Or to which to become resilient?
    Clearly I am not the expert here as evidenced by recent posts, but MitD got the umbrella in #147
    If it were stopping something, it would have to make sense for the earlier issues where he did not have it.
    That said, there used to be a lot of effects (particularly in 1st ed.) that would only affect people below a certain level. For example, dragons had a fear/paralyze aura that only affected creatures of 1HD or less, and as they aged it got more powerful but was never able to affect anyone with more than 6HD.
    But, it is almost certainly not a normal dragon since pretty much everyone will know what they look like.

  20. - Top - End - #980
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomToon View Post
    Clearly I am not the expert here as evidenced by recent posts, but MitD got the umbrella in #147
    Yes, but previously he was in the darkness of the dungeon.

  21. - Top - End - #981
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2020

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Yes, but previously he was in the darkness of the dungeon.
    I can certainly see that argument. I guess we will find out one day!

  22. - Top - End - #982
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by RandomToon View Post
    I can certainly see that argument. I guess we will find out one day!
    Okay, if we assume that the umbrella is actually necessary, does that help us pin down the Monster? It would clearly negate the Prismasaurus' light-based defences, for instance. (Note that while a Phrenic Prismasaurus would be a good fit, the Monster cannot actually be a Prismasaurus because they are immune to mind-affecting attacks.) Contrariwise it would not negate the Uvuudaum's confusion aura, since that does not depend upon sight.

  23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Ruck's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    This is one of those things where my perspective is basically-- if you find a species for which the umbrella would be necessary, and it generally fits the other requirements for MITD, then yes, that would be a point in its favor. I don't know that that applies to any of the FBS monsters, or that there's some FBS monster we haven't discovered where the umbrella is a point in its favor, though. Until then, I'm content to assume what we saw is what we get-- namely, Xykon keeping the MITD in the dark because he doesn't want to reveal him until the crucial moment (and, of course, from the Doylist perspective, that's the exact reason Rich keeps him in the dark, too).

  24. - Top - End - #984
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Crusher's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The sticks
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    This is one of those things where my perspective is basically-- if you find a species for which the umbrella would be necessary, and it generally fits the other requirements for MITD, then yes, that would be a point in its favor. I don't know that that applies to any of the FBS monsters, or that there's some FBS monster we haven't discovered where the umbrella is a point in its favor, though. Until then, I'm content to assume what we saw is what we get-- namely, Xykon keeping the MITD in the dark because he doesn't want to reveal him until the crucial moment (and, of course, from the Doylist perspective, that's the exact reason Rich keeps him in the dark, too).
    IIRC, Hunting Horrors get a penalty or take damage or something when stuck in sunlight. I don't think any of the others have a particular light-sensitivity.
    "Its a setting less visitor-friendly than the Red Wedding." - 111balz

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •