You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1401
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    But that when it's revealed it will be so obvious in hindsight we'll wonder how the hell we never saw it beforhand.
    That is what I am expecting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    As far as I am concerned, that pretty much eliminates all the famous monsters, whatever "famous" means.
    If it were a case of looking at it square on, it almost would, but I believe it's going to be a very strange look at something otherwise familiar.

I don't like the obscure monsters because if it were one of them, that seems to make it that only members of an elite can discern it, and only an elite few will understand what has happened at the reveal. Whereas I think when we see the MitD, we will all know what it is.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That is what I am expecting to happen.

If it were a case of looking at it square on, it almost would, but I believe it's going to be a very strange look at something otherwise familiar.

I don't like the obscure monsters because if it were one of them, that seems to make it that only members of an elite can discern it, and only an elite few will understand what has happened at the reveal. Whereas I think when we see the MitD, we will all know what it is.
    IIRC, The Giant has estimated that the majority of his readers have never played D&D before, so even if it was a "famous" monster, if the reveal was dependent on recognizing the monster itself, then it would still be an elite few to understand what has happened at the reveal.

Conversely, if the reveal is not dependent on recognizing the monster but instead on who the monster is as a character and why he chooses to do what he does, then there are suddenly no issues.

And all of this is ignoring that a "famous" monster doesn't make much sense given the circus scene, where his entire act is to just stand there, which somehow overwhelms virtually all viewers in various ways.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the important part of the reveal will be not what MitD is but what MitD does, namely side with the Order against Xykon.
    I'm making a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    IIRC, The Giant has estimated that the majority of his readers have never played D&D before, so even if it was a "famous" monster, if the reveal was dependent on recognizing the monster itself, then it would still be an elite few to understand what has happened at the reveal.
    "Famous" not necessarily meaning "D&D famous", it's been said that most monsters have D&D stats now, even if they didn't start in D&D. Mind you, if the D&D stats for a monster that originated outside D&D didn't really match up with the usual description, I wouldn't have a problem with those stats being abandoned.

Conversely, if the reveal is not dependent on recognizing the monster but instead on who the monster is as a character and why he chooses to do what he does, then there are suddenly no issues.
    I do like the idea that it might be Belkar adjacent, Bloodfeast perhaps, but I agree that the character is important as well as the species.

And all of this is ignoring that a "famous" monster doesn't make much sense given the circus scene, where his entire act is to just stand there, which somehow overwhelms virtually all viewers in various ways.
    Famous in the real world, not in "Stick World", there have to be lots of monster types that haven't yet appeared in the comic.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-12-05 at 08:55 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

5. - Top - End - #1325

Famous in the real world, not in "Stick World", there have to be lots of monster types that haven't yet appeared in the comic.
    I don't think that works like you think it works.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Titan in the Playground

"Famous" not necessarily meaning "D&D famous"
    You are literally the latest reason why I need to say "famous" rather than famous. You claimed too obscure two monsters from the most famous piece of fantasy written in the last 3000 years, while listing as famous a creature from a not particularly well known nonsense poem barely 200 years old. That you consider them such is proof that this whole business of if it'll be "famous" or "obscure" is irrelevant because what is "too obscure for halfeye" is "world-famous" for someone else.

In any case, we are at page 45, and here I was thinking this might be the last of these things I had to do. I'm opening the floor to thread names & votes. As per usual, we'll use approval voting - just say which ones you like, and they'll each get a vote each. You can suggest as many as you want, and they will automatically get a vote from you. If you want to change your vote, specify that you want to take votes away from a suggestion, because otherwise, I assume you just vote for the ones you mention. Highest voted one wins. I get half a vote, in case of a draw.

I'd usually list previous un-elected suggestions, in case anyone wants to re-submit them, but a recent spat of necromancy has locked the old threads, and copy-pasting tables without editing the post is a pain, so you'll have to content yourselves with a link.

Proposal Votes
    MitD XVI: Murder on the Splatbook Express 1
    MitD XVI: Soup Or Slaad 6
    MitD XVI: Now With 50% More Half-Dragon 2
    MITD Sweet XVI and Never Been Guessed 13
    MitD 16: Our Adoorable Friend 1
    MitD 16: Soup or Slaad? 2
    MitD 16: Thar's No Shadows 1
    MitD 16 threads, what do you guess? 2
    MITD XVI Ides of Darkness 1
    MITD XVI Uvuudaum or non-Uvuudaum 1
    MitD XVI: Going on Seventeen 9
    MITD XVI: Sunny Dispositions 9
    MitD XVI: I am Sixteen going on Protean 1
    MITD XVI: Only The Shadow Knows 1
    MitD XVI: Going on Protean 1
    MitD: Last Appearance during thread 13, Currently on thread 16, who needs relevance? 1
    MitD XVI: Monster? What Monster? 2
    MITD XVII: What He Does in the Shadows -1

NOTE: I reserve the right to veto suggestions under the "when in doubt, don't" policy of avoiding giving the mods work.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2022-01-07 at 09:18 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #1327

Ultimately, the only one who can decide what's "famous" in this context is Rich himself, and I'll bet he could name countless "famous" things that most of us have never heard of.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

You are literally the latest reason why I need to say "famous" rather than famous. You claimed too obscure two monsters from the most famous piece of fantasy written in the last 3000 years, while listing as famous a creature from a not particularly well known nonsense poem barely 200 years old. That you consider them such is proof that this whole business of if it'll be "famous" or "obscure" is irrelevant because what is "too obscure for halfeye" is "world-famous" for someone else.

In any case, we are at page 45, and here I was thinking this might be the last of these things I had to do. I'm opening the floor to thread names & votes. As per usual, we'll use approval voting - just say which ones you like, and they'll each get a vote each. You can suggest as many as you want, and they will automatically get a vote from you. If you want to change your vote, specify that you want to take votes away from a suggestion, because otherwise, I assume you just vote for the ones you mention. Highest voted one wins. I get half a vote, in case of a draw.

I'd usually list previous un-elected suggestions, in case anyone wants to re-submit them, but a recent spat of necromancy has locked the old threads, and copy-pasting tables without editing the post is a pain, so you'll have to content yourselves with a link.

GW
    From the archives, I would like to bring up MitD XVI: Murder on the Splatbook Express , MitD XVI: Soup Or Slaad and MitD XVI: Now With 50% More Half-Dragon.
    There's some other gems, but I don't want to have a list of 10 names, ha.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't like the obscure monsters because if it were one of them, that seems to make it that only members of an elite can discern it, and only an elite few will understand what has happened at the reveal.
    D&D geeks count as an elite now? Great!

Grey_Wolf says he wants to paste the list of old suggestions, so here it is. To be clear, this does not mean that I'm voting on all these.

OK, let's do this. As before, we'll use approval voting: you can vote for as many titles as you want. Don't PM, just post. If you want to change your vote, specify that you want to take votes away from a suggestion, because otherwise, I assume you just vote for the ones you mention. Highest voted one wins. I get half a vote, in case of a draw.

Proposal Votes
    MitD XV: Murder on the Splatbook Express 3
    MitD XV: Soup or Slaad? 8
    MitD XV: The Beauty in Guessing the Beast 6
    MitD XV: Pay No Attention to the Monster Behind the Shadow 2
    MitD XV: Fellowship of the Thing 3
    MitD XV: The Other Dark One 13
    MitD XV: the Uvuudaum or the non-Uvuudaum 1
    MitD XV: Thar’s No Shadows! 3
    MitD 15: Thar's no shadows! 1
    MitD XV: Ha-Nagaing By a Thread 1
    MitD XV: Balloons fall, everyone lives 5
    XV MitD in the dead man's Shadow 1
    MitD XV: The Ides of Darkness 10
    MitD XV: Size Matters! 7
    MitD XV: Darth Paul Did Not Name This Thread 11
    MitD XV: Dis'spelling' the Darkness 1
    MitD XV: Naganna Talk Aboot It 1
    MitD XV: Our Adoorable Friend 2
    MitD XV: Another A'Paul'ing Title 1
    MitD XV: Naled It 1
    MitD XV: Wiley: aPeelin to the Masses 1
    MitD XV: Et tu, Belkar? 1
    MitD 15 Shades of obscuring Darkness 1
    MitD 50 Shades of Duckies 3
    MitD 15: no more size rules spam 1
    MitD XV: The Other Dim One 1
    MitD XVI: "But it is a violation of all that is pure and beautiful!" -1

NOTE: I reserve the right to veto suggestions under the "when in doubt, don't" policy of avoiding giving the mods work.

(Here you can find a list of all previously suggested names, but I'm resetting the list because it was a bit too unwieldy. Feel free to look through it if you want, but I won't carry it over - I'll start a new one going forward)

Also, Darth Paul, if you could go ahead and let me know the winner, that'd be a nice time saver all around.

Grey Wolf
    Update: Grey_Wolf_c: for thread title, I vote on MitD 16: Our Adoorable Friend, MitD 16: Soup or Slaad?, MitD 16: Thar's No Shadows, the last one because of #229 10th panel.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2021-12-06 at 02:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Troll in the Playground

MITD Sweet XVI and Never Been Guessed

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground

Griffon

What I am saying is obscure about Scylla and Charybdis is their shapes, I know what a sphinx looks like, I know what the Minotaur looks like, a Jabberwocky not so much though there is the Tenniel cartoon, maybe mentioning that was a mistake on my part, but it seems to be pretty famous here.

Obviously what is famous is somewhat subjective until someone does a huge survey, maybe they already have and I don't know about it.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

Obviously what is famous is somewhat subjective until someone does a huge survey, maybe they already have and I don't know about it.
    We had a small survey on this thread. Let me find the link for you.

Update: starts at this posts, Grey_Wolf asks everyone which of the creatures they'd heard of from before OotS, several posters answer.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2021-12-06 at 05:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I always prefer a title refering to a specific number, so this gets my vote as well.

14. - Top - End - #1334

Meh. I wish we'd picked Ides of Darkness last time so we could go with The Other Dark One this time. Oh well.

I vote for:

MitD XVI: Now With 50% More Half-Dragon

and

MitD XV: Soup or Slaad?
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-12-06 at 10:20 AM.
    "Its a setting less visitor-friendly than the Red Wedding." - 111balz

15. - Top - End - #1335

How could I not vote for my favorite standby? MitD XVI: Soup Or Slaad

Also, full credit to Ruck, that was clever. Also voting for that one:

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I also like this one:

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My vote is for Sweet XVI as well for thread title.

Are there any new considerations to vote on?

I still have:
    The Grue from Wishbringer
    and
    Mediator (under non-serious suggestions but technically CAN fit with Wish spam).

I expect no votes for these though :D

18. - Top - End - #1338

I’d like to throw my vote towards Sweet XVI
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm also for Sweet XVI
    she/her
    Meow Meow Meow. Meow? Meow Meow? Meow Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow. Meow Meow Meow Meow. Sorry, just thinking aloud

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Halfling in the Playground

I'd like to propose another 16-based reference

MitD 16 threads, what do you guess?
    Last edited by Savil; 2021-12-07 at 03:09 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

MitD XVI: Soup Or Slaad

As seems to be the consensus, these are clearly the two best options. I'll be happy with either of them.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

22. - Top - End - #1342

PaladinGuy

My preferred titles for the next thread are

and

MITD XVI Ides of Darkness

and

MITD XVI Uvuudaum or non-Uvuudaum

(note removal of the 'the's from last time to make it fit better with Mitford's original).

23. - Top - End - #1343

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    MITD XVI Ides of Darkness
    It doesn't work as well being after the fifteenth.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1344

PaladinGuy

It doesn't work as well being after the fifteenth.
    It's riffing off World of Warcraft as well as Julius Caesar.

BTW I was reading up on Dave Trampier and noted that Rich Burlew said that he was inspired by Wormy. Has anyone gone through the Wormy strips to see if anything might fit the Monster?
    Last edited by Quartz; 2021-12-07 at 04:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Savil View Post
    I'd like to propose another 16-based reference

MitD 16 threads, what do you guess?
    Heh, I do enjoy this. Wish I had a good joke for the follow-up line.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Dwarf in the Playground

♫16 threads, what do you guess
    another Hagunemnon and a Dweller Deeper in Depth♫
    Last edited by Wintermoot; 2021-12-07 at 06:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1347

Which is why I said it didn't work as well instead of that it didn't work at all.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Colossus in the Playground

"Thread Is Sixteen Going On Seventeen" as a Sound of Music reference?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

You mean, Warcraft II and the Roman calendar.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Thread Is Sixteen Going On Seventeen" as a Sound of Music reference?
    You are sixteen, going on fits-big-scenes...