New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    As far as I recall, the bit about split infinitives was from when grammar prescriptivists were trying to make "proper" English as much like Latin as possible, and Latin didn't allow it?
    A grammar prescriptivist (Henry Alford, the Dean of Canterbury, in his 1864 book The Queen's English). And Latin only "doesn't allow it" because latin infinitives are a single word (i.e. not "to play" but "ludere"), so you can't possibly put an adverb between the two words, because it has just one. The whole argument is, kindly speaking, nonsense, honestly. Heck, English allows you to split any word with infixes ("it's a-bloody-mazing"), so even if it did have single-word infinitives, you'd probably still be able to split them.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-08-18 at 11:55 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    A grammar prescriptivist (Henry Alford, the Dean of Canterbury, in his 1864 book The Queen's English). And Latin only "doesn't allow it" because latin infinitives are a single word (i.e. not "to play" but "ludo"), so you can't possibly put an adverb between the two words, because it has just one. The whole argument is, kindly speaking, nonsense, honestly. Heck, English allows you to split any word with infixes ("it's a-bloody-mazing"), so even if it did have single-word infinitives, you'd probably still be able to split them.

Grey Wolf
    I think youre straining the use of "allows" there. People do it, but theyre just wrong and dont care, usually because theyre cursing or otherwise trying to emphasize some unusual state.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I think youre straining the use of "allows" there. People do it, but theyre just wrong and dont care, usually because theyre cursing or otherwise trying to emphasize some unusual state.
    No, that's Alford-like thinking. The English language allows for it to be done. It works. Compare it to changing the order of adjectives ("a red big balloon"), which sounds wrong and grates, and leaves you wondering what you mean by "big balloon". Or, for those very same infixes, if you try to place it within a syllable - that definitely English does not allow - or even a more subtle one, English does not allow infixes between any two syllables, only some. So a-bloody-mazing is allowed, amaz-bloody-ing is not.

And to be clear: when I say "allows" I do not mean some Alford guy in an ivory tower somewhere. I mean the actual language, as it exists today. Some things work, some do not, and what does and does not work does change over time. Today, split infinitives work. So do infixes. Neither is "wrong". Such assertion is just contrary to reality.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-08-18 at 11:22 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

And Latin only "doesn't allow it" because latin infinitives are a single word (i.e. not "to play" but "ludo")
    The infinitive of ludo is ludere.

The rest of your post is very right.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

And to be clear: when I say "allows" I do not mean some Alford guy in an ivory tower somewhere. I mean the actual language, as it exists today. Some things work, some do not, and what does and does not work does change over time. Today, split infinitives work. So do infixes. Neither is "wrong".
    And, much as it grates, referring to tmesis as "infixes" is not wrong either :P

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The infinitive of ludo is ludere.
    Thank you, as always, for correcting my poor attempts at Latin. I swear I did try to google that before I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    And, much as it grates, referring to tmesis as "infixes" is not wrong either :P
    I thought infixes where a subset of tmesis? Also, how on earth is that word pronounced? How do you even have "tm" as an opening sound?

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-08-18 at 12:00 PM.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Thank you, as always, for correcting my poor attempts at Latin. I swear I did try to google that before I posted.

GW
    -o suffixes mean "I [verb]". - ere suffixes mean "to [verb]".

I think. It's been almost two decades since my last Latin class.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

You’re welcome.

The weird thing is that people always refer to Latin verbs by using the present indicative first person form rather than by using the infinitive as is done for literally every other language I have a passing knowledge of.
    I’m guessing this is because the Romans themselves did so and this is yet another example of people sticking to tradition past the point of usefulness.
    Forum Wisdom

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post

It's been even longer for me, it was a single year, and I was already learning three other languages at the time (heck, my French teacher was my Latin teacher... some thing never change, really). The stress of it all meant I suffered a mild breakdown and gave up on learning further languages for a while. French was, in fact, a side casualty of it.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-08-18 at 12:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Make that « -re » first conjugation Vern go « -are », second «-ere », third « -ere », third mixt* « -ere » and fourth « -ire ».

*a real thing.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A grammar prescriptivist (Henry Alford, the Dean of Canterbury, in his 1864 book The Queen's English). And Latin only "doesn't allow it" because latin infinitives are a single word (i.e. not "to play" but "ludere"), so you can't possibly put an adverb between the two words, because it has just one. The whole argument is, kindly speaking, nonsense, honestly. Heck, English allows you to split any word with infixes ("it's a-bloody-mazing"), so even if it did have single-word infinitives, you'd probably still be able to split them.

Grey Wolf
    Using Latin to give rules for word order is really weird anyway. Most Latin sentences you can mix the words up in any order you like, without changing the meaning; it was traditional to put the verb last, but even that was far from universal.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateWench

Durring my continued reread as I got to strip 833 I had an interesting idea. What if the Monster is a Phane?

At first I thought it would be fitting Rich to reveal that the Monster was the darkness the whole time, but reading the Forgotten Realms wiki the description does seem to fit. "Chaotic and destructive, phanes were nonetheless non-evil in nature. Occasionally, phanes formed pacts with powerful mortals who shared their goals. Like most immortals, phanes were most commonly found on the Astral Plane, but they tended to wander the planes as they wished, hunting for prey in the spaces between moments."

Granted this isn't a perfect fit, but I think it's pretty clear the MITD isn't a typical member of it's species

13. - Top - End - #523

Quote Originally Posted by Nail View Post
    Durring my continued reread as I got to strip 833 I had an interesting idea. What if the Monster is a Phane?

At first I thought it would be fitting Rich to reveal that the Monster was the darkness the whole time, but reading the Forgotten Realms wiki the description does seem to fit. "Chaotic and destructive, phanes were nonetheless non-evil in nature. Occasionally, phanes formed pacts with powerful mortals who shared their goals. Like most immortals, phanes were most commonly found on the Astral Plane, but they tended to wander the planes as they wished, hunting for prey in the spaces between moments."

Granted this isn't a perfect fit, but I think it's pretty clear the MITD isn't a typical member of it's species
    The phane doesn't have a strength score, I can't see anything that fits the Escape and I don't think it fits the circus scene (also in 3.5 phanes are Always Chaotic Evil which isn't really a knock but means your description isn't completely accurate).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

It's insubstantial - it literally has no strength score at all. The closest thing it has to a physical attack to use in the hitting lightly game is "Chronal Blast", some kind of temporal flux ranged attack, but that does not sound like it can propel people through walls.

Does have teleport without error for the escape, but the circus is a problem. You'd have to posit that looking into the void of its body causes... what, horrendous vertigo? Too much of a stretch, I feel. Also, a 30-foot radius of null time field permanently around him would have been shown in the comic by now.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-08-18 at 03:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

It's been even longer for me, it was a single year, and I was already learning three other languages at the time (heck, my French teacher was my Latin teacher... some thing never change, really). The stress of it all meant I suffered a mild breakdown and gave up on learning further languages for a while. French was, in fact, a side casualty of it.

Grey Wolf
    Oh man, but it's not nearly as insane as Latin! We only have three verb groups (the sane ones, the slightly weird ones and the oh-god-why-is-everything-on-fire ones), no cases and pronouns with rule so intricate no-one understands them anymore!
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Oh man, but it's not nearly as insane as Latin! We only have three verb groups (the sane ones, the slightly weird ones and the oh-god-why-is-everything-on-fire ones), no cases and pronouns with rule so intricate no-one understands them anymore!
    Which is why Latin caused it and French was a side casualty, and not the other way around. It wasn't even the verbs - I was also learning Spanish at a time, and your verbs are pretty equivalent to theirs. What I couldn't handle was the vowels, and the perfection when pronouncing them that was required. Spanish's vowels are easy, and heaven knows English doesn't care how you pronounce their vowels. No matter how you do do it, there's an accent somewhere that does it the same. But French? Oh, no you better get those e, é and č right, if you know what's good for you! The DELF 2 oral exam was torturous.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-08-18 at 03:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527

Grey Wolf
    Wait, I'm confused. Are you telling me that French isn't just Latin with a bunch of silent vowels and consonants thrown in with wild abandon?

Also if you no longer hear from me after this day, I name Fyraltari as my murderer.

I really wanted this one to be a better fit since I loved it as soon as I clicked on that link.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-18 at 04:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, I'm confused. Are you telling me that French isn't just Latin with a bunch of silent vowels and consonants thrown in with wild abandon?

Also if you no longer here from me after this day, I name Fyraltari as my murderer.
    Spoiler: Huh huh
    Show

The joke is that this inscription (roughly "Omar has kill me") (well technically this picture is from a movie) was the primary evidence in a murder case despite the (basic) grammar mistake which many point to to say that it wasn't actually written by the victim.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #529
    Barbarian in the Playground

But it can't be wrong in Swedish "too" if it's not wrong in English.
    It is a violation of all that is pure and beautiful!

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I believe you meant:

"But it is a violation of all that is pure and beautiful!"

GW

21. - Top - End - #531

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I would never say that about the Swedish!

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

I would never say that about the Swedish!
    I have concluded that the Swedish are incapable of doing lasting wrong. The main evidence on behalf of the Swedish are their fish, as well as their candy.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #533

Alright, I have two theories as to the MitD's identity. Both are somewhat off the rails, in that they do not cleave to a statted 3.5e monster (then again, unless I am mistaken, The Giant never said MitD has a published stat block). I place my quatloos on my first idea here:

MitD is either young Jormungandr, or a direct young offspring of Jormungandr.

Young MitD's self image is of being terrain size (as per Redcloak's "big thick line up the middle" question about MitD's tactical map of the landscape between Azure City and the Hobgoblins' mountain redoubt in comic 415a), whereas fully-grown Jormungandr is large enough to circle the planet.

Jormungandr's literal translation is "huge monster," and when young was extremely hungry and grew rapidly (more on rapidly towards the end); if the shoe fits.

Loki's other two children (with Angrbotha as mother), Hel and Fenrir have both appeared directly and indirectly in the comic already, so Jomungandr would fit reasonably well in the OotS mythos.

Jormungandr across editions of D&D is so large than its movement causes waves and storms, which is in line with a smaller creature that can cause local seismic activity by stomping its foot.

Jormungandr of myth is often represented as a lindworm, which could explain both weird footprints, and (given than lindworms are sometimes represented as able to fly) lack of footprints.

In a Dragon #356 article, Jormungandr grew rapidly after Odin cast him into the sea. I predict that MitD will enter the ocean of the planet within the rift, grow to planet encircling size, and take up a position akin to that of the Midgard Serpent of myth for that world by the end of the OotS.

My second idea, which is not that serious (certainly not serious enough for quatloos!), is that the MitD is a thesaurus... not a therblewurkasaurus, mind you, but a terrible meta-lexical creature (as featured in most fearsomly in Harvard Lampoon's Bored of the Rings).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-19 at 09:30 AM.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lexible View Post
    Alright, I have two theories as to the MitD's identity. Both are somewhat off the rails, in that they do not cleave to a statted 3.5e monster (then again, unless I am mistaken, The Giant never said MitD has a published stat block). I place my quatloos on my first idea here:

MitD is either young Jormungandr, or a direct young offspring of Jormungandr.

Young MitD's self image is of being terrain size (as per Redcloak's "big thick line up the middle" question about MitD's tactical map of the landscape between Azure City and the Hobgoblins' mountain redoubt in comic 415a), whereas fully-grown Jormungandr is large enough to circle the planet.

Jormungandr's literal translation is "huge monster," and when young was extremely hungry and grew rapidly (more on rapidly towards the end); if the shoe fits.
    Someone fact-check me here, but wouldn't Jormungandr and his children get divine ranks? (And therefore be immune to mind control)

Does he have any means of performing teleportation?

Notably, I will accept Jormungandr being able to circumvent the size restraints on the grounds that it is known to have been born small and grew by orders of magnitude as it reached adulthood.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-08-19 at 09:30 AM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #535

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Someone fact-check me here, but wouldn't Jormungandr and his children get divine ranks? (And therefore be immune to mind control)

Does he have any means of performing teleportation?

Notably, I will accept Jormungandr being able to circumvent the size restraints on the grounds that it is known to have been born small and grew by orders of magnitude as it reached adulthood.
    It is not clear that divine rank 0 would gain immunity to mind effects.

As to ESCAPE! (or being a quick study at Go, etc.), I am sure Rich could write in whatever abilities he wanted: I am not making this prediction from a rules standpoint, and Rich does not write exclusively from a rules standpoint.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As to ESCAPE! (or being a quick study at Go, etc.), I am sure Rich could write in whatever abilities he wanted: I am not making this prediction from a rules standpoint, and Rich does not write exclusively from a rules standpoint.
    While this is true, I think it far more likely that Rich picked a monster and then wrote the scenes around that instead of writing the scenes and then hunting for a monster that fit all of them, especially given our own difficulties in finding anything that perfectly matches the scenes thus far.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, yes it is.

GW

28. - Top - End - #538

I thought infixes were a subset of tmesis? Also, how on earth is that word pronounced? How do you even have "tm" as an opening sound?
    Infixes are a subset of affixes (parts like "-ed" that are not complete words in themselves). They are fairly rare across languages, and English doesn't have them.

"Tm" is perfectly possible to pronounce, and was pronounced just like it looks in Ancient Greek. As for its pronunciation in English, it's too rare to have a standard one. Either drop the t (which matches our treatment of other Greek consonant clusters -- gnome, psychic, etc) or insert a schwa.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    Infixes are a subset of affixes (parts like "-ed" that are not complete words in themselves). They are fairly rare across languages, and English doesn't have them.
    Yes, English abso-bloody-lutely does have infixes, for one particular category thereof.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #540

I believe you meant:

"But it is a violation of all that is pure and beautiful!"

GW
    Ouch!
    It gives me the idea for MitD XVI: "But it is a violation of all that is pure and beautiful!"