New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    My own personal take (for the tower scene as well) would be MitD has some sort of repulsive quality whenever it tries to touch something. This would make tapping lightly and holding something difficult, but pushing things or hitting horses through walls effortless.
    (As for how he holds anything, like the stew bucket, I'd further suggest it was an activated ability and he only does it when he's concentrating too hard on a task.)
    Whether this has some merit as an idea, I'm not sure (my pet theory for a while was MitD was an awakened black hole, but that'd be hard to qualify).
    Any ideas of monsters with that trait?
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    My own interpretation is that it is a reflection of the "men of steel world of cardboard" trope: when MitD pushes something, it gets pushed. When MitD pulls on something, it is likely to fray, bend, snap, break or the like.

But I do enjoy a suggestion that has a good explanation - like poor grasping appendages - that make pushing easy but pulling hard.

GW
    Or a monster that has to constantly use one action to do something, like maintain a face, and thus finds doing two other things at the same time practically impossible.

EDIT: More to the point, really, is that to pull things one must have a prehensile limb, which is not required for pushing. Perhaps, say, it is difficult for MITD to manifest a limb AND concentrate on pulling AND whatever else he might be concentrating on. (After all, you don't have to hold something to push it, his expressed complaint about the difficulty of pulling-- "Pulling has all those tricky parts where you hold something AND move it. At the same time!")
    Last edited by Ruck; 2020-09-23 at 06:38 PM.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the info, folks. I suppose asking for a "consensus" was pretty daft of me, but I got a good range of information which satisfied my curiosity, I appreciate it.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lemarc View Post
    Thanks for the info, folks. I suppose asking for a "consensus" was pretty daft of me, but I got a good range of information which satisfied my curiosity, I appreciate it.
    No need to put yourself down. It wasn't daft - there do exist several characteristics for which there does exist broad consensus. You couldn't have known in advance if this particular one was one of them or not.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #785

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Any ideas of monsters with that trait?
    Defenestrating Sphere?

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ettin in the Playground

Living Spell DefSphere's my new working theory!
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*

7. - Top - End - #787
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Defenestrating Sphere?
    Note to self, new magic item: Ring of Refenestration - Gives the wearer the returning property when the wearer is suddenly ejected from a building.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Note to self, new magic item: Ring of Refenestration - Gives the wearer the returning property when the wearer is suddenly ejected from a building.
    From a window. It's not defenestration if it isn't from a window. Get hurled out the door or through a wall and you're SOL.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #789

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    From a window. It's not defenestration if it isn't from a window. Get hurled out the door or through a wall and you're SOL.
    Note to self, use less poetic license.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I mean, you could just avoid being thrown through walls.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #791

ElfWarriorGuy

Miko!

Ah, too late.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

12. - Top - End - #792

Don't tell me how to live my life.

13. - Top - End - #793

Lizardfolk

Don't tell me how to live my life.
    Herman Munster?
    Wait, that reference is too old...
    Kool-Aid Guy?

Is there a point between Defenestration and Refenestration where one is in a state of Fenestre, where you *are* the window?

I kinda want to stat up a Windowscourge Slaad with a permanent Defenestrating Aura, but I'm also aware I should get some sleep.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2020-09-23 at 10:10 PM.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Barbarian in the Playground

In the final book I would like to see a comprehensive list of all the clues and a discussion of them.
    Did we miss any? Was our interpretations wrong? Would be very interested in finding out.

15. - Top - End - #795

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    In the final book I would like to see a comprehensive list of all the clues and a discussion of them.
    Did we miss any? Was our interpretations wrong? Would be very interested in finding out.
    I doubt he'd go "comprehensive" in a printed book as that could be a lot of pages for the minority that cares about that level of detail. But I would be surprised if he didn't address what he considered the main clues to some degree in a section after the reveal. He can be comprehensive after publication* here, on Patreon, in a post-wrap up AMA interview, or any number of ways. Or he may just assume he'll get much negative pushback on little details and just leave it at a less-than-comprehensive list and let us argue until the sun goes dark.

* Heck, he might not even wait for the book since unless it is literally the last page once it happens online there could be daily threads about how his choice doesn't make sense because of someone's interpretation of a strip/comment/calendar page/whatever and he'll need to make a list just to preemptively be able to have one thread for the discussion.

16. - Top - End - #796

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    I rather think there will be a lot of, "How could we have been so stupid as to not realise?" after the reveal.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    I rather think there will be a lot of, "How could we have been so stupid as to not realise?" after the reveal.
    I'm like 80% certain that this thread's biggest mistakes will all be in the vein of cleverly outsmarting ourselves. Assumptions are a dangerous thing to leave unquestioned after all.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

Defenestrating Sphere?
    Defenestrating sphere doesn't require a window...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spell Compendium, Defenestrating Sphere
    Creatures that fall prone must then succeed on a second Fortitude save or be swept up by the sphere and driven 1d8×10 feet into the air, dropping 1d6 squares from their original position in a random direction and taking falling damage as normal. If a window is within range, the subject is automatically thrown in that direction.
    ...so you could ask to borrow its license for a while.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #799
    Titan in the Playground

I'm like 80% certain that this thread's biggest mistakes will all be in the vein of cleverly outsmarting ourselves. Assumptions are a dangerous thing to leave unquestioned after all.
    There is a large distance between "that which Rich can get away with changing for the purposes of the story" and "that which this thread can assume Rich has changed for the purposes of the story". I therefore suspect our biggest issues will turn out to be the places were Rich took liberties with RAW and we did not. Not that there is anything we can do about it, given we cannot possibly outguess Rich.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-09-24 at 06:10 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

20. - Top - End - #800

There is a large distance between "that which Rich can get away with changing for the purposes of the story" and "that which this thread can assume Rich has changed for the purposes of the story". I therefore suspect our biggest issues will turn out to be the places were Rich took liberties with RAW and we did not. Not that there is anything we can do about it, given we cannot possibly outguess Rich.

GW
    I think Rich will take care to show us every non-standard element. For example he has shown us he is using The Will and the Way. That would not have been reasonable for us to assume since it's not 3.5.
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

21. - Top - End - #801
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I think Rich will take care to show us every non-standard element. For example he has shown us he is using The Will and the Way. That would not have been reasonable for us to assume since it's not 3.5.
    Could you elaborate on this? What specifically references that book?

22. - Top - End - #802

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    Could you elaborate on this? What specifically references that book?
    Laurin was using some nonstandard powers, the one that immediately comes to mind is the wormhole. There was forum discussion around it at the time though it has been some years.

Another interesting thing about Will and the Way is that there's a power in there that would explain the tower scene pretty well. I've mentioned it before in this thread but I think people just don't like the idea of MiTD having class levels. Agree to disagree...
    "For you see, I theorize that the halfling does not possess a true sentient brain, like you or I, but rather a simple lump of nerve tissue that serves as a primitive "proto-brain" that can only process two emotional reactions to people: Hate or Lust."

23. - Top - End - #803

will and the way? Flexible use of psionics?

24. - Top - End - #804

AssassinGuy

"When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of You and Umption." - Samuel L. Jackson, The Long Kiss Goodnight

(Said quote possibly being the only memorable thing about that entire film...)
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2020-10-07 at 06:13 AM.
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

25. - Top - End - #805

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-07 at 10:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #806
    Dwarf in the Playground

Laurin was using some nonstandard powers, the one that immediately comes to mind is the wormhole. There was forum discussion around it at the time though it has been some years.

Another interesting thing about Will and the Way is that there's a power in there that would explain the tower scene pretty well. I've mentioned it before in this thread but I think people just don't like the idea of MiTD having class levels. Agree to disagree...
    I recall reading Rich said he just plain ol' made up the Laurin's powers because there was probably some ability or other like that. I wouldn't say Laurin's powers are not strong evidence of use of a particular book. It could mean he has read it though if that's what Rich was expecting from psionics.

Also, could you repeat the power here? I haven't seen any spell or ability besides wish and friends that can do such things, and having something that is not a 9th-level power or spell could help make finding creatures easier.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Eh, it's more of a shape-changing peg that can fit in just about anything, though there are arguments unique to itself as Ruck's essay demonstrates Actually, that's false. Its shapechanging abilities are not the bread and butter of the protean, and the main application of them is the escape scene. My bad. See arguments below by people who actually thought out their statements.
    Last edited by catagent101; 2020-10-08 at 12:12 AM.
    mew

27. - Top - End - #807
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by catagent101 View Post
    Eh, it's more of a shape-changing peg that can fit in just about anything, though there are arguments unique to itself as Ruck's essay demonstrates.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-07 at 10:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by catagent101 View Post
    Eh, it's more of a shape-changing peg that can fit in just about anything, though there are arguments unique to itself as Ruck's essay demonstrates.
    I keep hearing this argument, and it keeps not being true. The protean uses its alter shape ability to explain exactly one thing, the Escape. Otherwise? It is the right size, it is by far the strongest monster - no "well, 30 is ok, I guess, bit on the low side" like for most other suggestions - it is a solid 50 strength on a Large creature, so even if it is a young version, it's still bloody strong. Few other creatures can say that. And yes, the boiling of flesh explains the Circus, but that's not because it is a shape-changer that fits anything - indeed, true shapechangers cannot use that argument.

The protean is many things, but it has never been "a shape-changing peg that can fit in just about anything".

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-10-07 at 10:25 PM.

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I keep hearing this argument, and it keeps not being true. The protean uses its alter shape ability to explain exactly one thing, the Escape. Otherwise? It is the right size, it is by far the strongest monster - no "well, 30 is ok, I guess, bit on the low side" like for most other suggestions - it is a solid 50 strength on a Large creature, so even if it is a young version, it's still effing strong. Few other creatures can say that. And yes, the boiling of flesh explains the Circus, but that's not because it is a shape-changer that fits anything - indeed, true shapechangers cannot use that argument.

The protean is many things, but it has never been "a shape-changing peg that can fit in just about anything".

Grey Wolf
    Sure it has been. We dont have a huge number of scenes that specifically require it, but should any future FBS scenes come up, the protean fits them almost by default. Its almost as bad as the potted plant with an arbitrary number of templates in terms of its sheer ability to just do whatever we need it to in whatever way we want it to. The only thing it has going over the plant is that its powers are technically part of the base creature.

30. - Top - End - #810
    Titan in the Playground

Sure it has been. We dont have a huge number of scenes that specifically require it, but should any future FBS scenes come up, the protean fits them almost by default. Its almost as bad as the potted plant with an arbitrary number of templates in terms of its sheer ability to just do whatever we need it to in whatever way we want it to. The only thing it has going over the plant is that its powers are technically part of the base creature.
    So your argument is that you can't think of a clue it doesn't fit? That's trivial to disprove: it can't pass for a dragon, because it cannot breath fire.

The idea it can "do anything" is based on misreading the alter shape power.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-10-07 at 09:35 PM.