New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    By all means, given that I just copy-pasted it from the wikipedia page on truisms.

GW
    For one so normally detail-oriented I'm a little surprised. Relatively speaking the sun only appears to rise. Though "The viewing arc we define as "sky" continues to rotate on a daily basis repeatedly revealing and obscuring the sun" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

2. - Top - End - #962

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Additional information: In 1223 we learn that the trap in the tomb is divination + conjuration magic.

We also know that the MITD did not detect the trap , or the MITD wouldn't have bothered painting the doors.

So either the MITD didn't detect the magical emanations of the trap, or the MITD did but didn't know what they meant.

If option #2, I don't think we have new information, but if option #1, does this give us any insight into the list of possible suspects which the MITD would be ?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    This tells us that he doesn't have levels in rogue and isn't a monster with the rogue's trap finding ability.

Or it could just be that his search skill isn't good enough.
    Last edited by JennTora; 2021-01-27 at 03:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
    For one so normally detail-oriented I'm a little surprised. Relatively speaking the sun only appears to rise. Though "The viewing arc we define as "sky" continues to rotate on a daily basis repeatedly revealing and obscuring the sun" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
    That's only a question of point of view.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

As per special relativity, there is no privileged frame of reference, and in a frame of reference tied to the Earth's rotation, the sun does rise on a semi-regular basis.

(link)

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-01-27 at 03:08 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #965
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

For one so normally detail-oriented I'm a little surprised. Relatively speaking the sun only appears to rise.
    Oh, sure, if you're on a planet. All of which take up approximately 0% of the space in the universe.

And even then, you have to not be tidally locked, so it's not even all planets.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-01-27 at 03:11 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh, sure, if you're on a planet. All of which take up approximately 0% of the space in the universe.
    "The universe was divided into two parts, separated by a five centimetre shell of monomolecular steel. On the inner side was the interior of the luxury yacht One Jump Ahead, superbly outfitted for one passenger [...]
    On the other side was the rest of the universe, composed almost entirely of nothing with a trace of hydrogen."

Terry Pratchett, The Dark Side of the Sun
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-01-27 at 03:25 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #967
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

"The universe was divided into two parts, separated by a five centimetre shell of monomolecular steel. On the inner side was the interior of the luxury yacht One Jump Ahead, superbly outfitted for one passenger [...]
    On the other side was the rest of the universe, composed almost entirely of nothing with a trace of hydrogen."

Terry Pratchett, The Dark Side of the Sun
    Oh, that reminds me, and I suppose its no more off-topic than anything else, has anyone seen The Watch? I have mixed feelings and I'm curious what others thought.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Oh, that reminds me, and I suppose its no more off-topic than anything else, has anyone seen The Watch? I have mixed feelings and I'm curious what others thought.
    No, I didn't even bother to give it a try. I already considered the attempt to be a moonshot at best - it's just not an easy plot or cast of characters to sell to the general public who aren't Discworld enthusiasts - and when Rhianna decried it, I wrote it off.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-01-27 at 04:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    This might be of interest.

Edit:
    No, I didn't even bother to give it a try. I already considered the attempt to be a moonshot at best - it's just not an easy plot of cast of characters to sell to the general public who aren't Discworld enthusiasts - and when Rhianna decried it, I wrote it off.

GW
    You know, it just dawned on me that I have spent most of today alone with the friend who intoduced me to Discworld way back when and thz subject never even came up.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-01-27 at 04:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #970

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    This might be of interest.

Edit:

You know, it just dawned on me that I have spent most of today alone with the friend who intoduced me to Discworld way back when and thz subject never even came up.
    Oh, thank you. I seldom venture to that part of the forums. Their take is a little more negative than mine, but I hadn't read all the books and perhaps had fewer hopes to dash.

No, I didn't even bother to give it a try. I already considered the attempt to be a moonshot at best - it's just not an easy plot or cast of characters to sell to the general public who aren't Discworld enthusiasts - and when Rhianna decried it, I wrote it off.

GW
    You have chosen... wisely.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-01-27 at 05:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

I know the theory that others of MiTD's kind will show up in Serini's dungeon is an old one. But something about the latest strip makes it feel more likely to me. Roy says that the trick portal is meant to keep something in, and that's a setup for a dramatic reveal if I've ever heard one. Would make sense for the reveal to do double duty, and it would be interesting if O'Chul was captured to be fed to a creature of MiTD's type, only for their friendship to save him.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #972

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Additional information: In 1223 we learn that the trap in the tomb is divination + conjuration magic.

We don't know if the trap is present behind other doors.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    We don't know if the trap is present behind other doors.
    We know it is present behind at least another door. Given that they opened two doors at random and both had traps, the parsimonious assumption is that it is behind every door, unless shown otherwise. There might be one or two exceptions, special doors without traps, but I find it unlikely given the evidence so far.

Grey Wolf

14. - Top - End - #974

PaladinGuy

We know it is present behind at least another door. Given that they opened two doors at random and both had traps, the parsimonious assumption is that it is behind every door, unless shown otherwise. There might be one or two exceptions, special doors without traps, but I find it unlikely given the evidence so far.
    True, but we don't know. We also don't know if they're all the same trap.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, another bit of info that someone perhaps has pointed out. But perhaps not.

At one point, Belkar was tracking MITD. He was confused about the tracks. Granted, he sucks at tracking but he knew that what he was looking at were "weird". He was good enough to know it wasn't Roy, but had no idea what made them. So...he leaves tracks in 474.

Fast forward years into the future, and in 1039 he does not appear to leave any tracks in the snow - at least, no WEIRD tracks in the snow.

That would suggest to me that either he is flying/levitating or is using the psionic disciple of Body Equilibrium. It basically makes it so that you don't break the surface of things that can't normally bear your weight - they suggest water, but also things like lava. Snow would probably also qualify. Anyway, I am sure someone mentioned it before but in case not I thought I would bring it up.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomToon View Post
    Anyway, I am sure someone mentioned it before but in case not I thought I would bring it up.
    See Section 2c: Tracks

GW

17. - Top - End - #977
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

See Section 2c: Tracks

GW
    D'oh!

I spent so much time looking at pics and stat entries, I forgot to go back to the basics and read the original threads. Lol. My bad.

18. - Top - End - #978

PaladinGuy

Have we discussed the possibility of the umbrella being necessary before?

Imagine if the Monster were a Prismasaurus, for instance. Being in darkness would stop the Monster emanating Prismatic rays. Okay, that's an extreme example. But then there was the circus scene where there were extreme reactions to seeing the Monster.

We know that the Monster Hunters, Xykon, Redcloak and Oona all know what the Monster is, but they are all high level, whereas the people in the circus are most likely very low level. Likewise - importantly - so are the bulk of the goblins in Gobbotopia. And Redcloak couldn't have the Monster adversely affecting them, could he? So what if the Monster had an aura that people of high level were likely to resist? Or to which to become resilient?

19. - Top - End - #979
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Have we discussed the possibility of the umbrella being necessary before?

Imagine if the Monster were a Prismasaurus, for instance. Being in darkness would stop the Monster emanating Prismatic rays. Okay, that's an extreme example. But then there was the circus scene where there were extreme reactions to seeing the Monster.

We know that the Monster Hunters, Xykon, Redcloak and Oona all know what the Monster is, but they are all high level, whereas the people in the circus are most likely very low level. Likewise - importantly - so are the bulk of the goblins in Gobbotopia. And Redcloak couldn't have the Monster adversely affecting them, could he? So what if the Monster had an aura that people of high level were likely to resist? Or to which to become resilient?
    Clearly I am not the expert here as evidenced by recent posts, but MitD got the umbrella in #147
    If it were stopping something, it would have to make sense for the earlier issues where he did not have it.
    That said, there used to be a lot of effects (particularly in 1st ed.) that would only affect people below a certain level. For example, dragons had a fear/paralyze aura that only affected creatures of 1HD or less, and as they aged it got more powerful but was never able to affect anyone with more than 6HD.
    But, it is almost certainly not a normal dragon since pretty much everyone will know what they look like.

20. - Top - End - #980

PaladinGuy

Clearly I am not the expert here as evidenced by recent posts, but MitD got the umbrella in #147
    Yes, but previously he was in the darkness of the dungeon.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes, but previously he was in the darkness of the dungeon.
    I can certainly see that argument. I guess we will find out one day!

22. - Top - End - #982

PaladinGuy

I can certainly see that argument. I guess we will find out one day!
    Okay, if we assume that the umbrella is actually necessary, does that help us pin down the Monster? It would clearly negate the Prismasaurus' light-based defences, for instance. (Note that while a Phrenic Prismasaurus would be a good fit, the Monster cannot actually be a Prismasaurus because they are immune to mind-affecting attacks.) Contrariwise it would not negate the Uvuudaum's confusion aura, since that does not depend upon sight.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

This is one of those things where my perspective is basically-- if you find a species for which the umbrella would be necessary, and it generally fits the other requirements for MITD, then yes, that would be a point in its favor. I don't know that that applies to any of the FBS monsters, or that there's some FBS monster we haven't discovered where the umbrella is a point in its favor, though. Until then, I'm content to assume what we saw is what we get-- namely, Xykon keeping the MITD in the dark because he doesn't want to reveal him until the crucial moment (and, of course, from the Doylist perspective, that's the exact reason Rich keeps him in the dark, too).

24. - Top - End - #984

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    This is one of those things where my perspective is basically-- if you find a species for which the umbrella would be necessary, and it generally fits the other requirements for MITD, then yes, that would be a point in its favor. I don't know that that applies to any of the FBS monsters, or that there's some FBS monster we haven't discovered where the umbrella is a point in its favor, though. Until then, I'm content to assume what we saw is what we get-- namely, Xykon keeping the MITD in the dark because he doesn't want to reveal him until the crucial moment (and, of course, from the Doylist perspective, that's the exact reason Rich keeps him in the dark, too).
    IIRC, Hunting Horrors get a penalty or take damage or something when stuck in sunlight. I don't think any of the others have a particular light-sensitivity.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lightbulb Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Well, for me there is a huge chance that the Monster In The Darkness is the Snarl's offspring. Some years ago I would say he's the Tarrasque, but since he teleported O-Chul away I changed my mind.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 2021-02-26 at 05:25 PM.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Well, for me there is a huge chance that the Monster In The Darkness is the Snarl's offspring. Some years ago I would say he's the Tarrasque, but since he teleported O-Chul away I changed my mind.
    Given how the author said its not something he made up, I'll take that bet.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Given how the author said its not something he made up, I'll take that bet.
    Obviously, MitD is the son of the Snarl and Tarrasque, being only half something The Giant made up explains the "fine line" comment. Yes, this is the best guess. Please, don't kill me, Grey Wolf, I am too right to die.
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes, this is the best guess.
    Not your best guess, I note, but objectively the best guess.
    You're lucky I just ate.
    GW

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

Not your best guess, I note, but objectively the best guess.
    Only the bestest. That's a relief.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #990
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I think the monster in the dark is us, the readers of the comic.