New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I also wanted to add that I think the point of the circus scene is not that everyone is disgusted by MITD, but that he provokes a range of reactions, including disgust/nausea in some people.
    Much like canned processed meat.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Indeed. I was shocked to within an inch of my life once when somebody asked me at the store i work at if we had any more Spam in the back, because they genuinely liked it and wanted to stock up.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Well, touché.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Indeed. I was shocked to within an inch of my life once when somebody asked me at the store i work at if we had any more Spam in the back, because they genuinely liked it and wanted to stock up.
    My wife is half Korean, my dad was born in 1931. Both love(d) spam, in no small part because it was incredibly prevalent when they were growing up.

It was not terribly prevalent for me, but it's not bad. It's not great, but not bad. Better than most balognas, for example.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    My wife is half Korean, my dad was born in 1931. Both love(d) spam, in no small part because it was incredibly prevalent when they were growing up.

It was not terribly prevalent for me, but it's not bad. It's not great, but not bad. Better than most balognas, for example.
    I won't touch Balogna, Spam is fine. I don't normally buy or eat it, but you can make quite edible food with it if you happen to have some, and it stays good pretty much indefinitely, so it's a fine thing to have some of if you want to stockpile.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's baffling to me that there are several of you out there - people who are otherwise intelligent and respectable! - who evidently prefer spam to bologna. I've loved bologna ever since I was a small child. Spam, on the other hand, is basically the dictionary definition of mediocrity.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

7. - Top - End - #1027

I am of the opinion that neither are good and I’ll have other, better meat please.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    It's baffling to me that there are several of you out there - people who are otherwise intelligent and respectable! - who evidently prefer spam to bologna. I've loved bologna ever since I was a small child. Spam, on the other hand, is basically the dictionary definition of mediocrity.
    It's true; spam is mediocre where bologna is disgusting. I've never liked bologna, even as a small child. Spam is good baked or (as a supporting component) fried, and the flavored varieties are much better than the standard; whereas bologna...is best left for people who actually like it, such as my mother.

Looking at the ingredient list on Oscar Meyer's bologna (the brand we always had), I would guess it's the use of corn syrup as a binder that gives it such a repulsive flavor and texture; as I like the listed seasoning ingredients in it.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, are we talking something like real mortadella, or just Oscar Mayer in the plastic package?

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Well, are we talking something like real mortadella, or just Oscar Mayer in the plastic package?
    I couldn’t tell you, to be honest. All the bologna I’ve ever eaten has been from my parents’ fridge; I’ve never bought bologna for myself as a grown adult. (I’m told it’s unhealthy, and while I’m pretty bad at getting rid of poor eating habits, I’m reasonably good at avoiding picking up new ones.)
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

As one of those who is not among the "otherwise intelligent and respectable" crowd of spam-likers, it's almost as if having a wife and dad who both grew up with it out of necessity and know how to use it effectively can make you rethink your opinion on spam.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Barbarian in the Playground

Bologna is an Italian pasta recipe afaik. What's wrong with that?

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    You're thinking bolognese sauce. I believe they are talking about bologna sausage.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-03-20 at 09:26 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

How good a bologna is depends on the source. Fresh from a deli and locally sourced is your best bet. Getting a package from a wall and you might as well chug a bottle of preservatives.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    You're thinking bolognese sauce. I believe they are talking about bologna sausage.

GW
    I made the same mistake, yesterday but the thought of someone disliking bolognese sauce like that was so odd I went and checked before I posted.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Lightbulb Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

About the reveal of the Great Beast In Darkness (who I think is the Snarl's offspring):

The whole point why he is being keep in darkness is because he is the "Xykon's secret weapon" and there will be a proper introduction:

"You foolish mortals can never defeat the might of Xykon, not when I have the power of THIS on my side!"

…but he is not on Xykon's side anymore (1037 - Beast Practices) and while I am not that into speculation, looks like a natural conclusion to that storyline.

"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."
    "Yeah, a lot of that early stuff doesn't hold up"
    "Yeah, Yeah. You're a very clever boy."
    "…My reasons are my own."

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Newb here, please reply gently - I'd like to hang out.

Has some form of Faerie Dragon been discussed in regards to the MitD?
    Fey Dragons, by some D&D definitions, have physical & magical damage absorption & redirection.
    MitD doesn't have to be ultra-strong if it can absorb & redirect magic/damage (Belknar's dagger attacks into a localized earthquake; Miko's attacks into flinging her and her horse through a wall and miles away; Xykon's Meteor Swarm into a Word of Recall for V & O'chul (yeah, that's a bit of a stretch, but ... maybe? MitD HAD just witnessed Redcloak use a Word of Recall, and there was V's dispelled Teleport hanging...Had V previously cast some sort of Sanctuary spell near Durkon?))
    Faerie Dragons are not usually considered true dragons, so V's dragon-kill may not affect Faerie Dragons.
    I've read that Rich likes to oversize Faeries anyway.
    Faerie Dragons don't commonly speak, although many know how to.
    A shimmering Faerie Dragon would be hard to see and possibly cause confusion/vertigo.
    Oh, and a Fey creature is a natural fit for a Deux Ex Machina.
    Is there a Planar-aware Fey Dragon?

Anyway, some things
    - Rev.Slade

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rev_Slade View Post
    Faerie Dragon
    Anyone has a link to the statblock of this? The SRD doesn't seem to list it, and the only reference I can find - in the pfsrd, which I don't much trust - is both too weak (STR 9), too small (tiny), too late (references a 2011 book) and lacks any of those absortion powers Rev_Slade mentions, so I have no way of learning how they would work.

Faerie Dragons are not usually considered true dragons, so V's dragon-kill may not affect Faerie Dragons.
    It wasn't a "dragon kill" spell, it was familicide - it targeted only creatures related to the black dragon.

Thanks,

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'll try to re-find the page regarding damage absorption/redirection. I had already closed it.
    EDIT: I can't post links yet) https[colon]//wow.fandom.com/wiki/Faerie_dragon

"Familicide", yes, thank you. I didn't look it up specifically and my memory failed the exact recall.
    - Rev.Slade
    Last edited by Rev_Slade; 2021-03-23 at 01:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

One point I was trying to make was that the MitD's abilities seem to happen only right after major unresolved physical/magical actions nearby or against it.

Even if not a Faerie Dragon specifically, being able to absorb/redirect physical/magical energies would mean that MitD doesn't have to be naturally physically nor magically strong.

- Rev.Slade

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

https://wow.fandom.com/wiki/Faerie_dragon
    That seems to be a wiki from world of warcraft, not D&D3.5. I'm afraid I am unaware of any such reflection powers in 3.5.

GW

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

The 3.5 stats for the faerie dragon are in the Draconomicon, and they're not at all suitable for being MitD.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

That seems to be a wiki from world of warcraft, not D&D3.5. I'm afraid I am unaware of any such reflection powers in 3.5.

GW
    Well, thank you for entertaining my thought. I don't know what all references are allowed for OOTS story rules.
    - Rev.Slade

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

Well, thank you for entertaining my thought. I don't know what all references are allowed for OOTS story rules.
    - Rev.Slade
    We know from comic #1 that the ruleset they operate under is 3.5. We know from the pit of monsters plot that creatures from previous D&D editions (specifically, 2nd ed) are still around, if their statblocks haven't been updated. We also know, from what Rich has said, that no further rules updates will be applied (i.e. they didn't update to 4th ed when it came out - other than a joke in one of the side books where they meet their alternate versions from the 4th ed edition), and I believe he also affirmatively denied that they'd update to current (5th) ed.

We further know that some non-D&D mechanics can exists - see usage of pokeballs whenever paladins summon their animals - but it is generally accepted that if something has a statblock in D&D3.5, then that's the statblock in-comic. And especially for MitD, it seems unlikely in the extreme that Rich would have a non-d&d version of a d&d creature.

Grey Wolf

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Faerie Dragon
    Anyone has a link to the statblock of this? The SRD doesn't seem to list it, and the only reference I can find - in the pfsrd, which I don't much trust - is both too weak (STR 9), too small (tiny), too late (references a 2011 book) and lacks any of those absortion powers Rev_Slade mentions, so I have no way of learning how they would work.
    As InvisibleBison mentions, the version in "main 3.5"'s Draconomicon doesn't have much to offer; it feels like "add elf qualities onto a dragon" was the design goal, if sharing the oddly specific immunity to sleep and paralysis is any indication. None of the spell-like abilities account for anything MitD (unless you contort charm monster towards explaining some of the reactions at the circus, though the image in WotC's gallery doesn't seem outlandish enough for the rest); and while being able to advance from Small all the way up to Huge is kind of neat, it's not really a feature.

Meanwhile, the version in the Blizzard-licensed Alliance Player's Guide is largely a direct port of their abilities in Warcraft III; and neither "immune to magic" nor "damages nearby spellcasters when they cast spells" nor "phases out of physical space briefly after taking damage" seems to fit what we're going for here.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I hear you. Each of you.

Not a faerie dragon. ok.

I still think that there is a connection between the occurrences of nearby/personal physical/spell damage and MitD's ability use, and the LACK of that ability use (even/especially when it tries to use a known ability) when there is no precursory physical/spell damage having occurred.

The one time I can find an exception to this is when the MitD "STOP"s Haley and Belknar. Maybe there are other occurrences where the MitD performs some outstanding physical/magical feat without a prefixed event, but I don't know if it. Enlighten me if you can.
    - Rev.Slade

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ettin in the Playground

I hear you. Each of you.

Not a faerie dragon. ok.

I still think that there is a connection between the occurrences of nearby/personal physical/spell damage and MitD's ability use, and the LACK of that ability use (even/especially when it tries to use a known ability) when there is no precursory physical/spell damage having occurred.

The one time I can find an exception to this is when the MitD "STOP"s Haley and Belknar. Maybe there are other occurrences where the MitD performs some outstanding physical/magical feat without a prefixed event, but I don't know if it. Enlighten me if you can.
    - Rev.Slade
    I'm not sure if I can answer your specific line of inquiry there, but since you're new, you may have missed my case for my guess which is near the top of the thread. That's about all I can provide in terms of possible enlightenment. Sorry it's not more helpful to your specific question.

28. - Top - End - #1048

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    (who I think is the Snarl's offspring)
    Noted.

Its been a while so its probably worth reminding folks (and telling new folks) that I'm keeping a running list of everyone's predictions for what species MitD turns out to be belong to. Anyone is welcome to make a formal guess at any time, or change their guess. Just post it here or message me.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-03-24 at 11:11 AM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I hear you. Each of you.

Not a faerie dragon. ok.

- Rev.Slade
    That it isn't a 3.x or even D&D monster is not unprecedented so that does not automatically rule the faerie dragon out. There is a list in the suggestions of one of the mobs using CoC versions (Hunting Horror) and others that are not even in D&D (the Wumpus, the Loch Nes Monster, although they are not really serious suggestions).

My own suggestion is the Grue from Wishbringer, which is not a D&D mob. And I have a suggestion of Mediator, which does TECHNICALLY explain all feats (although does not make sense from a narrative sense, unless it was trying to save Nirvana by coming to the Prime Material and doing stuff, plus the personality is all wrong).

In regards to the reaction in the circus...pretty much everyone had a negative reaction except for the "evil" presences. The goblins are as a race evil and seemed unaffected, and the kids were even excited by it. This is one of the reasons people though a negative CHA could be applicable since they act as positives for evil characters. I have scoured a ton of source books for creatures negative CHA and did not find any that fit the bill.

The personality leads me to think Gully Dwarf, but it explains exactly zero of the feats. Maybe Half Gully Dwarf, Half Recursive Green Dragon?

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RandomToon View Post
    In regards to the reaction in the circus...pretty much everyone had a negative reaction except for the "evil" presences. The goblins are as a race evil and seemed unaffected, and the kids were even excited by it.
    There is no reason to believe that RE's oldest child is evil, and Rich has outright stated RE was TN, and that small children aren't evil unless shown to be explicitly evil. A far more parsimonious explanation is that the goblin family has been to the act often enough to not be surprised/affected by MitD's appearance anymore. And of course, both the wizard and the woman that think MitD is beautiful also can't be said to have negative reactions at all, and both are human.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-03-24 at 08:40 PM.