New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Or slaad, or...most epic monsters really.

And in general, as I've said on this specific subject before, I think "let's assume that particular clue is not a clue" is a bad approach. The creature tosses off "your stupid half a ritual" like he knew it at a glance. Could Rich handwave "actually Xykon casually mentioned, in front of the creature in the darkness, a vital piece of information he did not give to the person whom he wanted to figure out the ritual for him," if his plan has actually been that the creature in the darkness is something with no skills relevant there? Sure--he could. But even setting aside how logical or not this particular "that's a red herring" interpretation would be, I actually doubt Rich has been deliberately throwing "red herrings" at all; I don't think he would find any particular enjoyment in being able to go, "Aha! You foolishly trusted what my comic appeared to be telling you and didn't know this thing you had no way of knowing and so you failed to guess what the creature is!"
    I find this argument somewhat compelling. Let's look at my recorded guesses from Crusher's list:

Wile E. Coyote would know about the ritual at a glance due to the whole supergenius thing.

I'm not sure how the Carbosilicate Amorph would know, but Schlock at least is a lot smarter than he looks and is stunningly good at overhearing things he's not supposed to (his entire body senses vibrations, so he basically hears anything and everything from within an absurd distance). But while other amorphs are different from Schlock personality wise, I don't think any of them would try to pretend to have figured something out when they'd just overheard it. This is a definite strike against Amorph.

Redcloak's Niece would know about it due to the fact that she's every character, and some character's know.

Crusher, due to his silly rules, left off my other two guesses of Snoralax and Protean, so who knows about them.

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
    I find this argument somewhat compelling. Let's look at my recorded guesses from Crusher's list:

Wile E. Coyote would know about the ritual at a glance due to the whole supergenius thing.

I'm not sure how the Carbosilicate Amorph would know, but Schlock at least is a lot smarter than he looks and is stunningly good at overhearing things he's not supposed to (his entire body senses vibrations, so he basically hears anything and everything from within an absurd distance). But while other amorphs are different from Schlock personality wise, I don't think any of them would try to pretend to have figured something out when they'd just overheard it. This is a definite strike against Amorph.

Redcloak's Niece would know about it due to the fact that she's every character, and some character's know.

Crusher, due to his silly rules, left off my other two guesses of Snoralax and Protean, so who knows about them.
    You're not saying I implemented that rule specifically to thwart you, right? Because that would be silly.

(laughs nervously)

Why would I pay attention to any one person's predictions? There are dozens of them. Surely I can't track all those details!

(starts sweating)

I would never... (checks watch) Oh, I have to go be at a thing. It's... over there, so I have to go. Now.

(whispers to self "They're onto me. DAMMIT! I was so careful!")
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-05-25 at 01:14 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, the Protean has detect thoughts at will and +55 to listen; it's possible he picked it up from Xykon or Redcloak's thoughts or from overhearing some conversation long ago. A Protean's psionics also operate as a 20th level caster, plus INT 20 and WIS 23-- no idea how those might affect what it would know about magic rituals and the like.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

It will never cease to please me that Wile E. Coyote continues to fit clues so well.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It will never cease to please me that Wile E. Coyote continues to fit clues so well.
    Wile E. is fully grown. The MITD is clearly Calamity Coyote, his young protégé.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Calamity doesn't have yellow eyes, though.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Calamity doesn't have yellow eyes, though.
    He works on rule of funny. His eyes can glow if it's part of the act.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #1118

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That is covered in the initial Wile E Coyote proposal.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Post Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Are there any monsters that existed in 2nd edition, and never was revived in 3.5? I found a website with 2nd ed creatures, and there are some candidates that I considered, but none can actually do advanced magic and have ultra-strength at the same time. And those who could fit aren't ugly. Was any such creature proposed before me?

Actually there is something.
    There is something called "Monster of legend". From description, it's not someone specific, but something like a template. It can "update" any base creature to "legendary" status. From given examples, the result creature can be completely invulnarable to slashing and piercing damage (Nemean lion).

From same page - legendary sphinx gaze can turn person fascinated.

Can MitD be legendary version of someone. Maybe the base creature is ugly and gluttonous, maybe can cast some minor spells, and the legendary "upgrade" grants him strength and tough skin?

Or the other way around.

Again me can consider creatures from both 2 and 3.5 editions.

It could fit "fine line" - base creature is not Rich's creation, and the legendary is.

I don't know who we can look on, but I'd ignore strength and armor, and go for gluttony, ability to cause earthquake and teleport others. Just a gut feeling.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-06-05 at 04:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1120
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    Are there any monsters that existed in 2nd edition, and never was revived in 3.5?
    Yes, many.

There is something called "Monster of legend". From description, it's not someone specific, but something like a template.
    See section 2d

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #1121

BardGuy

Okay, I'll try to check specific pre 3.5 monsters. Will write if have a better idea.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Does the monster demonstrate having a Will Save? Comic 74 shows that outdated monsters in the comic do not.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wrn View Post
    Does the monster demonstrate having a Will Save? Comic 74 shows that outdated monsters in the comic do not.
    Nothing specifically shows that, but there's no reason to believe MitD is or isn't a 2nd edition creature.
    That said, none seem to have come up as a FBS candidate, and it does bring the question of how MitD wasn't drawn into the pit of outdated creatures. I guess Xykon could have slapped him out of it.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I guess Xykon could have slapped him out of it.
    No, that would contradict SoD. The issue of how a theoretical 2nd Ed MitD left/avoided the pit is indeed one of the major issues for any such suggestion.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-06-05 at 07:55 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, that would contradict SoD. The issue of how a theoretical 2nd Ed MitD left/avoided the pit is indeed one of the major issues for any such suggestion.

GW
    Is the pit described in more detail in SoD? What properties does it have?

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

16. - Top - End - #1126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Is the pit described in more detail in SoD? What properties does it have?
    SoD shows that MitD was living in the jungle, not in the pit, when he was captured at the start of his story. He doesn't meet Xykon for the first time until much later.

The pit is just a pit. the reason the 2nd ed creatures are there is due to Dorukan's amulet, as described in the online comic.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2021-06-05 at 07:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess then the question is whether the amulet has infinite range, or if it just affected the area they were in...
    But given the lack of 2e monsters, I'd have to guess it did quite well.

-Squire Doodad

18. - Top - End - #1128

BardGuy

How can "Suggestion" spell or ability be twisted with the "rule of funny"?

Sources say that:

1) It must not bring to self damage
    2) Must be reasonable
    3) Target must understand it

What it doesn't directly say is that target mist be physically able to do it!

What if MitD used a "Suggestion" and it caused V to cast Teleport (or whatever) himself (or herself)? Yes, it sounds crazy. It's logical to assume that target must have the ability to do requied action, and that spellcasting requires at the very least to say the spell name.

But this is a comic, and rule of funny is often used. Also, there are feats allowing to cast silently.

Also, when V used suggestion to order dragon to vomit - I don't know about dragons, but humans can't vomit at will. They need either to have some sickness, or use specific drugs, or somehow else to cause vomit. And V's spell caused dragon to do it right away.

So maybe the spell can cause the target to act even if some conditions aren't met?

If we can assume this is possible, we can extend the list of creatures able to use Teleport/Wish/Miracle with those who can use Suggestion, and there are much more of those.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ogre in the Playground

Sources say that:

2) Must be reasonable

What if MitD used a "Suggestion" and it caused V to cast Teleport (or whatever) himself (or herself)? Yes, it sounds crazy. It's logical to assume that target must have the ability to do requied action, and that spellcasting requires at the very least to say the spell name.

But this is a comic, and rule of funny is often used. Also, there are feats allowing to cast silently.

Also, when V used suggestion to order dragon to vomit - I don't know about dragons, but humans can't vomit at will. They need either to have some sickness, or use specific drugs, or somehow else to cause vomit. And V's spell caused dragon to do it right away.

So maybe the spell can cause the target to act even if some conditions aren't met?

If we can assume this is possible, we can extend the list of creatures able to use Teleport/Wish/Miracle with those who can use Suggestion, and there are much more of those.
    Humans can cause themselves to vomit by sticking a finger into their mouth, basically.

Also, that argument doesn't really sync up with the rest of the aftermath of the scene, plus it didn't seem like a Rule of Funny moment. Very serious all the way through. Not to mention circumstance 2 is arguably violated by it; it's not reasonable to assume someone will do something they are bound by the laws of magic to be incapable of.
    If there was precedent for it, I could see that, but it seems a bit iffy as is.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-06-07 at 03:45 PM.

-Squire Doodad

20. - Top - End - #1130

Sources say that:

2) Must be reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee's Ye Olde SRDe
    Suggestion

You influence the actions of the target creature by suggesting a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two).
    V cannot cast Teleport; thus, that is not an action they can take, regardless of how much influence is on them. Much like one cannot use Suggestion to influence the commoner next door to cast Wish for you.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-07 at 03:46 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Apologies in advance for what may be an often-asked dumb-ass question, but has the Giant hinted how long it's going to be before the MitD's species is revealed? I seem to recall that we're on the last major planned storyline but that of course could take years to run its course.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    Apologies in advance for what may be an often-asked dumb-ass question, but has the Giant hinted how long it's going to be before the MitD's species is revealed? I seem to recall that we're on the last major planned storyline but that of course could take years to run its course.
    Before the end of the series
    Otherwise, * shrug *

-Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #1133

BardGuy

How do we know, did anyone ever try to used suggestion on commoner for such result?

Maybe just suggesting "Escape" was enough to well, escape, without any spellcasting involved.

That's why I said about rule of funny. There are many illogical things in OotS.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-06-07 at 04:03 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ogre in the Playground

How do we know, did anyone ever try to used suggestion on commoner for such result?

Maybe just suggesting "Escape" was enough to well, escape, without any spellcasting involved.

That's why I said about rule of funny. There are many illogical things in OotS.
    This is a serious in-depth analysis with the only Rule of Funny being working off of things that have actually happened. Whether or not that's enough justification insofar as Rich is concerned, it isn't automatically applicable here.

-Squire Doodad

25. - Top - End - #1135

BardGuy

I am writing this, because there are many monsters that can use Suggestion and meet other conditions.

Thought about the possibility of Escape Scene using Suggestion and wanted to share it.

We don't have any new information anyway, so why not to discuss something.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Colossus in the Playground

I think it's real unlikely that Rich is going to suddenly pull "in my comic, Suggestion is effectively Wish, because I say so" at this late date.

(I am eternally mystified that some people seem have gotten through six books of OotS and still be expecting a shaggy dog story.)

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
    "The reveal is a crucial part of the story and it will happen when it's time for it to happen."

28. - Top - End - #1138
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

It would be a cool twist, but I believe the "must be reasonable" exclude actions like that.
    Last edited by Precure; 2021-06-08 at 03:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Anyone else feel like the Beholder appearance in the new comic might make WotC copyrighted creatures more likely than maybe we've previously credited thanks to the Illithid (TM) Incident?
    Last edited by AlhazTheRed; 2021-06-29 at 11:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlhazTheRed View Post
    Anyone else feel like the Beholder appearance in the new comic might make WotC copyrighted creatures more likely than maybe we've previously credited thanks to the Illithid (TM) Incident?
    I personally do not think Sunny is going to be meant to foreshadow MitD being a copyrighted creature, but it does lighten that burden slightly.
    That said, iirc the only one that would become a FBS this way would be Snorlax (and the Amorph, but that's already handwaved in because Rich is good friends with Howard Tayler). Most of the rest have some sort of other issue mechanically speaking.

-Squire Doodad