New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by AlhazTheRed View Post
    Anyone else feel like the Beholder appearance in the new comic might make WotC copyrighted creatures more likely than maybe we've previously credited thanks to the Illithid (TM) Incident?
    It's not a Beholder, it's an Eye Tyrant!

More seriously, it might make it more likely, if there's a WotC copyrighted character that fits well enough but was discounted for copyright, but I can't think of any.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2021-06-30 at 12:11 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AlhazTheRed View Post
    Anyone else feel like the Beholder appearance in the new comic might make WotC copyrighted creatures more likely than maybe we've previously credited thanks to the Illithid (TM) Incident?
    For what its worth (ie practically nothing), I've never considered copyright to be relevant to what the MitD might be and have on several occasions considered lobbying for this project thread to drop it, but ultimately disregarded that idea every time. Suffice it to say that the very fact that we saw a mind flayer and a beholder in the comic in the first few dozen strips should largely dispel the notion that such creatures cannot be in the comic. But I am a definite minority in that belief.

And I'm not just saying that because of how well Wile E. Coyote fits.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    It's not a Beholder, it's an Eye Tyrant!

More seriously, it might make it more likely, if there's a WotC copyrighted character that fits well enough but was discounted for copyright, but I can't think of any.
    White Slaad are WOTC, and are not in the Hypertext SRD due to copyright. However they've never been "discounted because of copyright".

The idea in this case would be that MitD's father was a black slaad, which is Huge to the white slaad's Large.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, standard disclaimer that i am not a mod, but from my understanding the rule in this thread about copyrights and trademarks and what not is not intended to say that it cant be them, simply to acknowledge that it is an obstacle that may or may not have a solution that we cant speculate without violating the forum rules.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #1145

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So, standard disclaimer that i am not a mod, but from my understanding the rule in this thread about copyrights and trademarks and what not is not intended to say that it cant be them, simply to acknowledge that it is an obstacle that may or may not have a solution that we cant speculate without violating the forum rules.
    For what it worth (ie a lot, to me), I definitely enjoy erring on the side of caution so the mods don't even have to spend any time thinking about stuff like that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-30 at 07:26 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Right. I like Peelee guys. He seems pretty swell. Dont make him think unhappy thoughts.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #1147

Right. I like Peelee guys. He seems pretty swell.
    Right back at ya!

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, this. Many have Opinions on the subject, because Internet. Such Opinions have been aired in this forum, and often have been red-texted. It's a can of worms I'm going to keep as closed as I can as a curator by means of section 3c. The bottom line is: we don't know where the line is. Speculating about where the line is is against the rules. Such creatures may or may not be available to be used by Rich, and only Rich and his lawyer know, and neither have chosen to inform this thread about their understanding of the issue.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

I was re-reading SoD today and saw something interesting: "sometimes it's hard being looked at by so many people." To me, this implies that it is something that changes form (maybe abilities, maybe not) based on who observes it. This also explains the mixed reactions from the crowd: curiosity, mild discomfort, vomiting, fear... I don't have any specific monsters but just wanted to point this out.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Bugbear in the Playground

Being uncomfortable with lots of people looking at you is something that happens to people in the real world, and I'm sure almost none of them are shapeshifters.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by yeetusmcgeetus View Post
    I was re-reading SoD today and saw something interesting: "sometimes it's hard being looked at by so many people." To me, this implies that it is something that changes form (maybe abilities, maybe not) based on who observes it. This also explains the mixed reactions from the crowd: curiosity, mild discomfort, vomiting, fear... I don't have any specific monsters but just wanted to point this out.
    Joooooooin uuuuussssss....

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I know that the Hagunemnon/Protean is the most popular choice though I’m wondering if there would be any variations or tricks to it.

Like Proteans are psionic creatures so they don’t need to have a phrenic counterpart for example or would a Phrenic Protean be one with both sets of psychic abilities, like a stronger form?

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I'm getting the impression that there is no D&D beast that is seen as different things by different people at the same time, let alone one that is strong enough to be MitD and has teleportation powers. If there is, then it is the MitD no doubt.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #1154

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Being uncomfortable with lots of people looking at you is something that happens to people in the real world, and I'm sure almost none of them are shapeshifters.
    Yeah, but the way he phrased it made it seem like physical exertion.

15. - Top - End - #1155

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I'm getting the impression that there is no D&D beast that is seen as different things by different people at the same time, let alone one that is strong enough to be MitD and has teleportation powers. If there is, then it is the MitD no doubt.
    Does it have to be from D&D? Didn't one of the top contenders used to be Snorlax?

16. - Top - End - #1156

BardGuy

Lightbulb Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

OK I just realized something. In #543, MITD is surprised when wanting O'Chul to escape isn't enough to make it happen. As stated in the first post, this could point towards him being able to use Wish. However, Wish has verbal components. From my standpoint, "hoping really hard" and thus causing something to happen seems more like that one psionic power that's basically Wish (Reality something or other). This also explains O'Chul's escape (the ability can't need words other than "Escape" to activate, but psionic powers don't need verbal components). In addition, look how he holds items like the umbrella or bucket of paint. Hands would be wrapped around the handle, right? But no, they just float in the darkness, indicating telekinesis.
    Last edited by yeetusmcgeetus; 2021-09-23 at 04:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Does it have to be from D&D? Didn't one of the top contenders used to be Snorlax?
    Okay, name a being that is seen differently by different people at the same time. I think there was one in the original Trek, but that is the only one I'm remembering.

As an aside, you can probably edit your posts, so you don't need to make two in a row.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-09-23 at 07:29 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

What if he's Pun Pun, the optimized Kobold?

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    What if he's Pun Pun, the optimized Kobold?
    See section 3b.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #1160

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Joooooooin uuuuussssss....
    You have no idea how effective that is, in combination with the eyes on your avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Okay, name a being that is seen differently by different people at the same time. I think there was one in the original Trek, but that is the only one I'm remembering.

As an aside, you can probably edit your posts, so you don't need to make two in a row.
    There’s also the Red Dwarf gelf or whatever which can appear as a physically attractive member of your species (including android) even to the extent of appearing as Male for the Cat (because he just loves himself) simultaneously. They can turn it off though to appear as a Cyclopean gribbly thing.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

OK I just realized something. In #543, MITD is surprised when wanting O'Chul to escape isn't enough to make it happen. As stated in the first post, this could point towards him being able to use Wish. However, Wish has verbal components. From my standpoint, "hoping really hard" and thus causing something to happen seems more like that one psionic power that's basically Wish (Reality something or other). This also explains O'Chul's escape (the ability can't need words other than "Escape" to activate, but psionic powers don't need verbal components). In addition, look how he holds items like the umbrella or bucket of paint. Hands would be wrapped around the handle, right? But no, they just float in the darkness, indicating telekinesis.
    Note that holding the umbrella is specifically an art choice so as to not rule out certain monsters or to implicitly require a given set of proportions. It can be telekinesis, but it can also have hands that are obscured by the darkness.
    Kind of like how the Protean assumes he is taking an action to maintain the eyes/will have eyes as a constant in order to be consistent and not a dead giveaway.

Also, I believe Reality Revision is the Pisonic Wish equivalent, yeah.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-09-25 at 06:34 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

23. - Top - End - #1163

ElfWarriorGuy

Oh, it definitely doesnÂ’t have to be D&D. ItÂ’s just that the sheer number of things D&D has statted over the decades is HUGE, especially when it comes to the kind of things thatÂ’d make good adversaries for D&D characters. So itÂ’s hard to find stuff thatÂ’s be a good candidate and hasnÂ’t been statted.

If someone found something in GulliverÂ’s Travels or something that was hugely strong, really weird looking, not a ton bigger than humans, and had any explanation for the escape, weÂ’d seriously consider it even if it lacked stats. The Hunting Horror is a Call of Cthulhu monster, btw.

Edit - Also, regarding the “hoping really hard causing a Wish”, it’s entirely possible that one time decades ago when by himself, MitD said “I Wish I had a sandwich” AND IT WORKED. So now, at night when he’s hungry (and alone) he wishes for sandwiches and once/year or every six months or whatever it happens. He doesn’t know why or how it works, and even if someone saw it happen they’d probably assume he was playing a trick or even forgot he had a sandwich in the first place.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2021-09-26 at 08:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1164

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    Also, regarding the “hoping really hard causing a Wish”, it’s entirely possible that one time decades ago when by himself, MitD said “I Wish I had a sandwich” AND IT WORKED. So now, at night when he’s hungry (and alone) he wishes for sandwiches and once/year or every six months or whatever it happens. He doesn’t know why or how it works, and even if someone saw it happen they’d probably assume he was playing a trick or even forgot he had a sandwich in the first place.
    I'm sorry, that's too farfetched for me to get on board with. I just can't imagine that happening.

It would be stew.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Spamalot in the Playground

That thing with the peanut butter that got him banned from Tsukiko's room could have involved a sandwich
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #1166

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    There’s also the Red Dwarf gelf or whatever which can appear as a physically attractive member of your species (including android) even to the extent of appearing as Male for the Cat (because he just loves himself) simultaneously. They can turn it off though to appear as a Cyclopean gribbly thing.
    If we're just listing things from other series that have the property of being seen by different people as different things when they all see them at the same time, there's also the Vorlons from Babylon 5.

I don't think iterating through species from licensed TV space properties is going to get us any place useful, though.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Colossus in the Playground

Even D&D has one of those - the Dream Larva:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/mons...htm#dreamLarva

Worst Nightmare (Su)
    Each time a living creature first views a specific dream larva from a distance of 30 feet or less (or from a scrying effect), the subject sees the image of the most fearsome creature imaginable. This is not an illusion or phantasm; the dream larva truly becomes, for just that instant, the subject’s worst nightmare. Even if simultaneously viewed by dozens of different creatures, the dream larva appears differently to each one of them.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

I have been away for a while, biding MitDs return to the forefront of the strip. I have however come up with a candidate for the monster that I believe we have not yet discussed. Perhaps this is for a good reason but please bear with me.

What if Rich has already told us on page 84 in The Start of Darkness, when the ringmaster announces the monster: "Prepare to feast your eyes on 'IT'!" Is MitD a Glamour/Deadlight? (Stephen Kings 'IT').

If so:
    1. The circus: Although a shapeshifter the closest thing to a natural form - at least on our earth - is a large f...ing spider eventhough some see a splendid light. It ('IT') would certainly explain the various reactions in the circus.
    2. The tower: He would be nigh on impervious to any attack and immensely strong - easily able to tear a human limb from limb or punch people through walls.
    3. The escape: He is able to teleport himself and others as well as mimicing any other spell-like ability as he is close to (if not outright) omnipotent - even if he does not himself know it.

Additionally:

• You would not expect to find him in the jungle, as it is native only to an unknown void and on earth primarily resides underground in sewers.
    • Not even your run-o-the-mill wizard is likely to know what MitD really is.
    • If you found him as a child in the jungle, you would most likely see a "giant" spider and would not expect it to speak.
    • As he ages he would be expected to grow from a baby giant spider to a f...ing huge giant spider.
    • He would be expected to eat people - preferable children - and not to prefer stew, steak or tacos.
    • He would be insatiably hungry.
    • Xykon would expect him to be able to devour people.
    • Redcloak - the nerd that he is - might actually know - or think he knows - what the creature really is. After all he reads a lot...
    • A spiders legs would be more suited for punching/kicking than for pulling ropes (Assuming he stuck to his "native" form).
    • 'IT' is ancient but our Glamour/Deadlight might be smaller, and be slowly growing into his omnipotence. Thus he might not yet fully realise what he can really do/know his own strength and powers.

I must admit, that I am no authority on Stephen Kings 'IT' or the lore behind the Glamours/Deadlights (though I had the sense to google 'IT' before I wrote this post - thank the gods for online fan-culture).

PS. I realize there might be a 4a problem with this Lovecraftianesque eldritch horror/pop culture icon.
    Last edited by Lord Bingo; 2021-10-13 at 05:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1169

Ooh, I like it. I don't think they'd gov to be it but I like that it's a pretty good fit

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Orc in the Playground

It's a Protean.