New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XV: The Other Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    -If MITD sacrifices himself, "He's dead, he's dead, he's dead and out of this world."
    If mitd dies and we're still trying to guess what they are, I will be very upset.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Barbarian in the Playground

Google definition is fun in the comic context: a person's inherent qualities of mind and character.
    "your sunny disposition has a way of rubbing off on those around you"

3. - Top - End - #1383

My vote MitD XVI: Sunny Dispositions

4. - Top - End - #1384

BardGuy

When you start a new thread, if you agree, please add what I suggested some time ago - MitD can have more then four legs - it can be six or eight. I said that his form can be insectoid, crab-like or spider-like. It fits the overall shape, moving eyes without turning whole body, and also in this case he can use same limbs for walking and holding things.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2021-12-26 at 11:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think I'll cast a vote for MitD XVI: Soup or Slaad and MitD XVI: Going on Protean.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    When you start a new thread, if you agree, please add what I suggested some time ago - MitD can have more then four legs - it can be six or eight. I said that his form can be insectoid, crab-like or spider-like. It fits the overall shape, moving eyes without turning whole body, and also in this case he can use same limbs for walking and holding things.
    I think the issue is that no one is saying he can’t be any of those things. There are a few things we’re pretty confident MitD has or does (he has eyes and teeth, he eats and sleeps, etc). and a few things we’re confident he does not have or do (he doesn’t immediately damage or incapacitate people who look at him, he doesn’t take damage from being in sunlight, the Giant says he’s not a creature the Giant himself made up, etc).

But there’s a vast amount of open space between those two areas, and there’s a finite amount of room to list information. The number of things or characteristics the MitD MIGHT have is very large and it’s not really workable to list them all.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    I think the issue is that no one is saying he can’t be any of those things. There are a few things we’re pretty confident MitD has or does (he has eyes and teeth, he eats and sleeps, etc). and a few things we’re confident he does not have or do (he doesn’t immediately damage or incapacitate people who look at him, he doesn’t take damage from being in sunlight, the Giant says he’s not a creature the Giant himself made up, etc).

But there’s a vast amount of open space between those two areas, and there’s a finite amount of room to list information. The number of things or characteristics the MitD MIGHT have is very large and it’s not really workable to list them all.
    It also makes the entry seriously unreadable, even after much moving around. "Quadruped" is a nice, simple word for the concept that MitD has forward an backwards set of legs. There is no word I know of in English to mean "3+ legs in non-linear configuration such that some are forward and some are backward from the others".

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I am not putting any vote but I am not sure I understand any pun with the "sunny disposition" one.

Someone care to explain ? (or there is nothing more than the fact that he is in darkness with sunny disposition ?)

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    I am not putting any vote but I am not sure I understand any pun with the "sunny disposition" one.

Someone care to explain ? (or there is nothing more than the fact that he is in darkness with sunny disposition ?)
    The Monster in the Dark has the same kind of disposition (happy-to-help kid) as Sunny the Behold Eye-Thingie.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-01-04 at 08:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Ettin in the Playground

I gotta go with Soup or Slaad, thats far too good of a pun to go to waste

11. - Top - End - #1391

Lizardfolk

Just out of interest, how many mitd threads have risen and fallen since the last canon appearance of the MitD?

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Just out of interest, how many mitd threads have risen and fallen since the last canon appearance of the MitD?
    MitD's last appearance was in #1189, published 2 December 2019. Since then, there have been approximately 2.2 threads - all of threads 15 and 14, and roughly 20% of thread 13.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    MitD's last appearance was in #1189, published 2 December 2019. Since then, there have been approximately 2.2 threads - all of threads 15 and 14, and roughly 20% of thread 13.
    I vote this as title of the next thread

/s

kinda
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2022-01-06 at 11:14 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1394

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The Monster in the Dark has the same kind of disposition (happy-to-help kid) as Sunny the Behold Eye-Thingie.
    Behold! A mind flayed! It is displaced bestially by such a guessing game! Like carrion, crawling feebly towards a resolution.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I vote this as title of the next thread

/s

kinda
    It's a bit long, Let's go with:
    MitD: Last Appearance during thread 13, Currently on thread 16, who needs relevance?

I'll vote for it.

16. - Top - End - #1396

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    My vote MitD XVI: Sunny Dispositions
    Another vote from me for this.

And I'd like to suggest
    MitD XVI: Monster? What Monster?
    As a callback to "Gate? What gate?" AND
    A jab at the purpose of the thread AND
    A hint that the Creature in the Dark doesn't behave like a monster.
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I like MitD XVI: Monster? What Monster?.

Sunny Dispositions is good too!

18. - Top - End - #1398

AssassinGuy

I've finally got around to reading Schlock Mercenary, and even though I don't think carbosilicate amorph is a good fit for MitD, I did find one amazing similarity between them:

Schlock tells the following tale about his backstory:

"So there I was, with what passes for a migraine headache among humans. And amnesia. All I knew was that I was being hunted..."
    "... there was this unioc pirate looking for an amorph for his crew. Well, he found me, or I found him. And three worm-jumps later, our ship had a big hole in it, and I was being shipped off to some circus."

Complete with Schlock in a very MitD-looking cage.

The similar notes in their backgrounds (very fuzzy on early life, chased by hunters, ends up in the circus) is interesting, and the strip is from 2001, so it's remotely possible that the character had some influence at least on MitD's backstory as told in OoPCs. Not likely, but remotely possible, at least in my opinion.

This probably isn't strictly relevant evidence, but I found it fascinating nonetheless.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2022-01-16 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Not remotly a guess but figured i'd share this for how funny i found it when i woke up. Had a weird dream in a nap and was reading an OOTS where MitD gets revealed, starts with just one corner of him than zooms out next strip to reveal one of the mushroom people from Dark Souls 1. Given what utter PitA's they can be it definitely tickled me. Totally not consistent with what he could really be, but hilarious nonetheless.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

I've read all kinds of speculation about how the MitD is related to Serini, or how we'll meet a monster of the same species as the MitD in Kraagor's tomb. I never saw good arguments to support this. We knew basically nothing about Serini. Sure, she filled the dungeon with “the nastiest monsters in the world, to reflect his belief in the power of physical might”, and the MitD is supposed to be the scariest thing around, with enough physical might. But am I to believe that every powerful monster on the planet is connected to Serini?

Anyway, since Sunny appeared in #1238, more readers started to speculate. Usually it was outside the MitD threads. Now we actually know something about Serini, and have a reason to suspect a connection. It's the final panels of the latest strip #1252 that really make you think. Serini raised Sunny trusting. O-Chul's opinion was that the MitD was too trusting, never questioning if Team Evil was his friends.

I still don't think that the MitD has a connection with Serini, but it's at least a speculation that we should entertain, and it's worth to record here in the MitD thread.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2022-01-27 at 03:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    I've read all kinds of speculation about how the MitD is related to Serini, or how we'll meet a monster of the same species as the MitD in Kraagor's tomb. I never saw good arguments to support this. We knew basically nothing about Serini. Sure, she filled the dungeon with “the nastiest monsters in the world, to reflect his belief in the power of physical might”, and the MitD is supposed to be the scariest thing around, with enough physical might. But am I to believe that every powerful monster on the planet is connected to Serini?

Anyway, since Sunny appeared in #1238, more readers started to speculate. Usually it was outside the MitD threads. Now we actually know something about Serini, and have a reason to suspect a connection. It's the final panels of the latest strip #1252 that really make you think. Serini raised Sunny trusting. O-Chul's opinion was that the MitD was too trusting, never questioning if Team Evil was his friends.

I still don't think that the MitD has a connection with Serini, but it's at least a speculation that we should entertain, and it's worth to record here in the MitD thread.
    This is pretty well put-together for the case for it. I'll add that MITD was found in the forest 29 years prior to the start of the main story (Start of Darkness), and the Scribble's quest started 66 years prior to the story; we don't know exactly how long it took, but the context clues we have make it reasonable to think it didn't last decades. MITD tells O-Chul he remembers his father but not his mother; did Serini decide to send him out in the world for some reason, maybe after giving him the amnesia potion? The timeline, at least, lines up such that it is possible.

That said, I also do not think we'll learn of a connection between MITD and Serini. From the broader perspective of the story, I think MITD's reveal will be tied in to a decision he makes to permanently join the good guys; I think that moment would be cheapened if it came as a result of some connection we didn't know from the story, rather than the events of the story leading up to it.

22. - Top - End - #1402

Chimera

I don’t know if anyone has pointed this out before but is it possible that MitD is just a linnorm and the reason he can’t cast animate dead is because he has a alignment contradiction? Yeah good aligned is a bit of a stretch for early on but linnorms fit pretty well.

Also not sure if it was published in the right timeframe but sun dragons I know get smaller as they age, would require him to be mega ancient though.

As for my actual guess at this moment, i’m going to say some flavor of psionic giant. Just a small one right now.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

23. - Top - End - #1403

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    I don’t know if anyone has pointed this out before but is it possible that MitD is just a linnorm and the reason he can’t cast animate dead is because he has a alignment contradiction? Yeah good aligned is a bit of a stretch for early on but linnorms fit pretty well.

Also not sure if it was published in the right timeframe but sun dragons I know get smaller as they age, would require him to be mega ancient though.

As for my actual guess at this moment, i’m going to say some flavor of psionic giant. Just a small one right now.
    The MitD's statement about his father being BIG is a big strike against anything that gets smaller with age.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I'm a fan of the linnorm as well and would love to find a way to make it fit the clues, but I don't think I buy this explanation. The reason we think the MitD can't cast Animate Dead is that Redcloak says he can't. If the reason Redcloak thinks he can't cast it is because he's Good-aligned, then it becomes very difficult to understand why Redcloak keeps him around.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    If the reason Redcloak thinks he can't cast it is because he's Good-aligned, then it becomes very difficult to understand why Redcloak keeps him around.
    Redcloak has no reason to care about the MitD's alignment. He's pragmatic enough to use Xykon to further the Plan. If he thinks the MitD is a powerful ally, Redcloak won't ditch him just because of his alignment. Like Roy says in #251, “What kind of stupid class relies on other peoples' behavior to keep its powers, anyway??”

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

I don’t know if anyone has pointed this out before but is it possible that MitD is just a linnorm and the reason he can’t cast animate dead is because he has a alignment contradiction?
    Only divine casters are blocked from casting spells that contradict their alignment, and linnorms cast as sorcerers.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ogre in the Playground

Only divine casters are blocked from casting spells that contradict their alignment, and linnorms cast as sorcerers.
    More importantly, Redcloak specifically says “Really? So I guess those three boxes of mallomars you finished off somehow earned you enough XP to gain 5 levels in cleric overnight?”. It doesn't sound like Redcloak thinks that the MitD can cast clerical spells but is the wrong alignment for animating undead.

Update: ok, now I wonder about something. A Helm of Opposite Alignment costs only 4000 GP. If Team Evil met a potentially useful ally who is very powerful but happens to be the wrong alignment, they could afford to buy one and put it on the head of the potential ally. And since the MitD is in the darkness, we wouldn't even see the helm.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2022-06-16 at 10:03 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1408

Chimera

There are two kinds of Linnorms. One that cast as level 21 sorcerers (the two headed kind) and one that cast as level 18 clerics (the one headed kind). I know way too much about Linnorms being I once got one as a mount with a level 14 Zhentarim sky mage. That was fun.

As a side note was tome of magic out around chapter 100? A true naming monster would be hilarious but I think those came out after the monsters species was locked in
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-06-16 at 12:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    The reason we think the MitD can't cast Animate Dead is that Redcloak says he can't.
    More specifically, Redcloak is skeptical of the idea that MitD can cast Animate Dead. Mitd claiming he can help animate the zombies could easily be a Cassandra truth.

30. - Top - End - #1410

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by 3Power View Post
    More specifically, Redcloak is skeptical of the idea that MitD can cast Animate Dead. Mitd claiming he can help animate the zombies could easily be a Cassandra truth.
    That is a good point. It’s entirely possible that RC knows what he is but somehow skimmed the whole cast as 18th level cleric thing on a Linnorm. If you take dragon magazine content as something that matters all dragons can apply Still Spell and Silent Spell to their magic for free even if they don’t have the feats. So Earthquake and Miracle with no verbal components anyone? Linnorms even have some descriptive text for sending people through walls. Honestly the more I think about it the more I come around to being a Linnorm believer. I think I’ll probably be in that camp until some new evidence shows up or until I find a 1E monster with -1 charisma that fits his stats and has a 3.5 conversion.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323