New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Minecraft in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Which is obnoxious. Of course, mods being what they are, IndustrialCraft's implementation itself is a bit dated now, and there are far better mods doing similar things.
    GTCE (that would be the Greg-Tech Community Edition, the modern continuation of GregNerf) actually does quite a few things differently. It has a much easier way of converting Forge Energy compatible with its own energy, with config options for the ratios should you deserve. It no longer has exploding machines (except the boilers if they run dry then add water, which can be disabled as a config option), but burning them out will convert them to a machine hull of the voltage they were made with. There's also a config option so that the machine just shuts down when it gets too much juice instead.

However, what it brought to the table were axes that basically have Treecapitator capability, even early-game ones like Flint. The early tools are kind of a pain, but you get machines to move away from most of the tools (the remaining tools once you've securely moved into LV age are basically the mod's version of the Wrench, but with differing functionalities). Automation isn't difficult to set up, and you can use the 'conveyor belt' as a machine side-cover to further increase the automation capability. Same goes with a pump.

GTCE ores are... more like Geolosys, in that they're actual ore deposits, and usually a blend of things. For example, a Magnetite deposit will have Magnetite, Vanadium Magnetite, Iron Ore, and even a bit of Gold Ore. Early game, you can use the gold, the iron, and you can pretty easily process Magnetite into iron (although not quite as efficient as iron ore), until you get the centrifuge going. The Vanadium isn't too interesting in the early game, and kind of a pain, but then in the late-game it turns out to be really useful. So like keep it in a barrel or a drawer or something. But the ore deposits are flippin' HUGE. One deposit will have hundreds of ores to process. Enough so that you don't need to worry about early-game ore doubling, because you've got ores up to your eyeballs.

The key thing about GTCE, however, is the ability to improve your efficiency through more advanced processes. For example, starting off in the 'tool age', you take two ingots to make a sheet, then use snips to turn a sheet into a wire. A Steam Hammer (not to be confused with Water Hammer, this is basically a steam-powered trip-hammer) can give you a better efficiency, 3 ingots to 2 plates. But the LV Wiremill takes one ingot and makes two wires from it. So you go from a 2:1 ratio to a 3:2 ratio to a 1:2 ratio of ingots to wires. Then when you get your Assembly Machines going, you find that you can use Fine Wire, also done in the Wiremill, which is a 1:4 return (1 wire makes 4 Fine Wire), as a drag-n-drop replacement in many components, and is more easily automated. So now you're looking at a 1:8 ratio, effectively.

Every time you bring a new piece of tech online, it would be a good idea to reexamine everything from the ground up to see how you can best take advantage of it. That may mean ripping out a chunk of what you'd done before to build it more efficiently. But it may also mean a substantial savings in resources and/or time.

In short... GTCE really is a different mod from IC2, and even very different from IC2+GT used to be. It's a lot better balanced, and actually brings a lot of extra efficiency with the complexity to reward you for your ingenuity. There's a reason it's used frequently in hardcore packs. It actually isn't as bad as people remember GT being. At least not in my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    GTCE (that would be the Greg-Tech Community Edition, the modern continuation of GregNerf)
    This looks really interesting. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for revealing its existence to me!
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Of those of you who are playing on 1.16, has anyone else tried mining for ancient debris yet? I've had some luck with the TNT tunneling method, averaging about 4-5 ancient debris per stack of TNT used, and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar results.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Bed mining is cheaper, resource wise. I haven't done it myself yet, but one of the streamers I watch has and that's about the rate they had. A bigger part seemed to be the time spend fighting lava and fires.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Of those of you who are playing on 1.16, has anyone else tried mining for ancient debris yet? I've had some luck with the TNT tunneling method, averaging about 4-5 ancient debris per stack of TNT used, and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Bed mining is cheaper, resource wise. I haven't done it myself yet, but one of the streamers I watch has and that's about the rate they had. A bigger part seemed to be the time spend fighting lava and fires.
    Yeah I did bed mining. With great success. Feet at depth 12, dig way in, boom bed. In like half an hour you’ll have full netherite gear (with suitable prep).

Edit: nix that 30 minute comment. Did some more bed mining last night, like half an hour, only got 5 ancient debris. Just depends I suppose.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2020-08-04 at 01:12 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

You see with the minecraft i think there is nothing left that is new ! they have build and done everything already man ! there are kids out there who no nothing but minecraft ! they like know all the names of the mobs but cant name 5 of their presidents :D
    Sign here

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Yeah I did bed mining. With great success. Feet at depth 12, dig way in, boom bed. In like half an hour you’ll have full netherite gear (with suitable prep).

Edit: nix that 30 minute comment. Did some more bed mining last night, like half an hour, only got 5 ancient debris. Just depends I suppose.
    The resource cost to TNT mining isn't really a big deal for me since I have a hostile mob farm that gives me plenty of gunpowder (not to mention that the witch farm should give me a large amount of gunpowder as well assuming I ever finish digging out the perimeter for it). A bigger concern for me is fighting lava, which is why I'm a little leery about bed mining. Given my experiences thus far, I just don't really like the idea of being at ground zero for a blast that opens up a 3x3 hole in the ceiling of the tunnel full of lava.

On the bright side, last night I managed to uncover about 19 ancient debris with only 2 stacks of TNT, so I'm pretty happy there.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

8. - Top - End - #38

The resource cost to TNT mining isn't really a big deal for me since I have a hostile mob farm that gives me plenty of gunpowder (not to mention that the witch farm should give me a large amount of gunpowder as well assuming I ever finish digging out the perimeter for it). A bigger concern for me is fighting lava, which is why I'm a little leery about bed mining. Given my experiences thus far, I just don't really like the idea of being at ground zero for a blast that opens up a 3x3 hole in the ceiling of the tunnel full of lava.

On the bright side, last night I managed to uncover about 19 ancient debris with only 2 stacks of TNT, so I'm pretty happy there.
    Grats!

You’re really quite safe from the blast. I have a 2x2 tunnel, every 8 blocks dig all the way in chest level, then knock out one by the feet, dig one more in, put a bed as far as possible. Not once had lava spill on me, don’t think it’s possible (sometimes fire though).
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I may have gone a little crazy.
    I'm currently building an automated sugarcane farm which, when completed, will have room for 2800 plants harvested by a pair of flying machines and will be able to either store the sugarcane as it is or automatically convert it into bone meal depending on my needs and the fullness of the storage system. Why am I building a farm which will provide me with vastly more sugarcane than I could ever possibly need? Because I have too much cobblestone and needed a project to use it on.

My Homebrew

Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I run a server, MidgardCraft, for some friends of mine, and when the update came out I upgraded the server, resetting the nether. Together with those friends we've explored the nether, built castles, found a woodland mansion, killed the enderdragon, and got ourselves each a set of wings. We continue to explore and build on this server.

And as of last night, I decided to create a new server as well: Betagard. Since my friends came into minecraft fairly late, they've never experienced Beta Minecraft until now! We're on b1.1_02.

11. - Top - End - #41

tl;dr: in survival, what's your preferred method for getting exp?

First of all, I'm playing 1.16.20 on my phone, Bedrock edition.

I always seem short on experience so I thought hey, I'll follow a YouTube tutorial, get some fast exp. I tried a couple different videos, learned after the fact they use some sort of exploit (0 tick), seemingly got patched out (really difficult to find confirmation on this though... some claim it still works, others claim it doesn't). So then I built this massive (for me) mob farm, where the mobs fall down, almost deck, you hit their ankles, they die. But... it's still really slow.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

I used to play a lot, but i think it got me bored...
    I sometimes still watch Let's Plays on YouTube but just to see what's new in the game :)
    I think unfortunatly the big hype around this game is over...

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Sometimes I play minecraft but mostly 1.7.2.
    It is quite a sad thing that minecraft does not have more backwards compatibility with mods and that it becomes slower and more performance hungry over time.
    It is so bad that adding all the content of modern minecraft in 1.2.5 as a mod would make a minecraft that runs faster.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground

I always seem short on experience so I thought hey, I'll follow a YouTube tutorial, get some fast exp. I tried a couple different videos, learned after the fact they use some sort of exploit (0 tick), seemingly got patched out (really difficult to find confirmation on this though... some claim it still works, others claim it doesn't). So then I built this massive (for me) mob farm, where the mobs fall down, almost deck, you hit their ankles, they die. But... it's still really slow.
    Yeah, mob farm's my go-to. Depending on the mobs, you could use splash potions to make the killing go faster. Off to the side, have some chicken coops automate dispensing eggs in to a compact area, so you have a chicken spawner, too. Maybe a little tree farm and a wall of furnaces so that you can knock down trees for endless charcoal production while you wait for mobs to spawn and chicks to grow.

If you can trap villagers so they aren't always running all over the place, and are lucky enough to score a good amount of Librarians and Farmers, cycling back and forth selling and buying items works as a passive investment, too.

When I don't have the infrastructure to do any of those... Nether Quartz Ore is somewhat easy to find, and drops an okay amount of experience.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

My preferred method is to set up a giant villager trading hall, create an iron farm, and then trade iron ingots to the armorers, toolsmiths, and weaponsmiths.

A melon farm and farmer villagers will also work in a pinch.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Yeah, mob farm's my go-to. Depending on the mobs, you could use splash potions to make the killing go faster. Off to the side, have some chicken coops automate dispensing eggs in to a compact area, so you have a chicken spawner, too. Maybe a little tree farm and a wall of furnaces so that you can knock down trees for endless charcoal production while you wait for mobs to spawn and chicks to grow.

If you can trap villagers so they aren't always running all over the place, and are lucky enough to score a good amount of Librarians and Farmers, cycling back and forth selling and buying items works as a passive investment, too.

When I don't have the infrastructure to do any of those... Nether Quartz Ore is somewhat easy to find, and drops an okay amount of experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjp1050 View Post
    My preferred method is to set up a giant villager trading hall, create an iron farm, and then trade iron ingots to the armorers, toolsmiths, and weaponsmiths.

A melon farm and farmer villagers will also work in a pinch.
    Thanks for the responses, folks! You bring some light into this dark world.

Your comments make me realize... I was looking for a one-stop shop, a magic pill. I realize now that's not the way to go, the solution is several not-so-magical pills, then divide your attention among them.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Sadly my go-to involves mods, so while it is a one-stop magic pill, it's not something that would be available to you if you're pure vanilla.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Until recently I'd been using a blaze farm for my xp, but recently I've switched to using a gold farm instead (specifically a slightly modified version of RaysWorks design) and that's been working much faster. (Note, I play on Java edition, and I'm not familiar with all the differences farm-wise between that and Bedrock)
    Regarding using a mob farm, my experience has been that if you want decent rates then you either have to do a massive amount of spawnproofing, build the entire structure very high up in the air, or both. Otherwise, the rates much faster than you'd expect.

Edit:
    It turns out that you can't build on top of the Nether in Bedrock, which means building a gold farm like what I'm using would be much more difficult, since it would require constructing a full perimeter inside of the the Nether. Not an impossible task, but it would definitely be a massive undertaking.
    Last edited by Alabenson; 2020-10-13 at 02:21 PM.

My Homebrew

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Did they nerf portal spam gold farms?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Y'know. Now I kind of wonder what happened to the GiTP minecraft server.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Spamalot in the Playground

Mob farms are my usual way to rack up the exp, but I did set up a few villagers to have a nifty trade run-- I collect sweet berries from my berry farm and trade it to a couple maxed butchers for emeralds, then trade the emeralds to the priest for bottles of enchanting.

Now I have exp in storage for exp emergencies.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Did they nerf portal spam gold farms?
    I haven't seen anything to suggest that they were nerfed, I think it's just that the potential rates for magma ring-style builds are so much higher that that's all anyone's been building since 1.16 came out

My Homebrew

Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Mob farms are my usual way to rack up the exp, but I did set up a few villagers to have a nifty trade run-- I collect sweet berries from my berry farm and trade it to a couple maxed butchers for emeralds, then trade the emeralds to the priest for bottles of enchanting.

Now I have exp in storage for exp emergencies.
    I love it!

New goal.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

24. - Top - End - #54

I did indeed make efforts to do the villager berry -> emerald -> bottle o' enchanting setup, but I'm struggling, could use help.

Kidnapped some villagers which never had a job, got 'em zombified, restored them, moved them to a new village, got them a bed and a job... and no discount (from either). What gives?

Playing on vanilla Bedrock 1.16.

(btw I was going to ask in like the r/Minecraft weekly question thread, but it turns out there is no such thing)

EDIT: For clarification, a while ago (but I think still in 1.16), I had a farmer I un-zombified, will now give 1 emerald per potato, been using him for a long time. Unsure why he's giving the rad discount but the others aren't.
    Last edited by danzibr; 2020-10-25 at 05:44 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I did indeed make efforts to do the villager berry -> emerald -> bottle o' enchanting setup, but I'm struggling, could use help.

Kidnapped some villagers which never had a job, got 'em zombified, restored them, moved them to a new village, got them a bed and a job... and no discount (from either). What gives?

Playing on vanilla Bedrock 1.16.

(btw I was going to ask in like the r/Minecraft weekly question thread, but it turns out there is no such thing)

EDIT: For clarification, a while ago (but I think still in 1.16), I had a farmer I un-zombified, will now give 1 emerald per potato, been using him for a long time. Unsure why he's giving the rad discount but the others aren't.
    I'm not really sure, but if I had to guess I'd say its possible giving the villagers a new job resets the discount. It's worth noting that whenever I've seen a Youtuber build a trading hall incorporating healing zombified villagers they always set it up to cure them after they've gotten a profession and not before.

On a completely different note, I took a few screenshots of the gold farm I had mentioned earlier if anyone's interested.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Thanks for the input!

And nice gold farm!

I did something a little different, per YouTube. Got a buncha villagers nearby, zombified one in the middle, cured it. Discounts, yay.

Supposedly only lasts 4 hours... which is weird, because I have one dude I've been extorting for waaaaay more than 4 hours. Regardless, I'm pleased, have an absolute ton of emeralds.

EDIT: Man, feels downright like cheating. Trading a stick for an enchanted diamond sword?
    Last edited by danzibr; 2020-10-28 at 11:16 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for the input!

And nice gold farm!

I did something a little different, per YouTube. Got a buncha villagers nearby, zombified one in the middle, cured it. Discounts, yay.

Supposedly only lasts 4 hours... which is weird, because I have one dude I've been extorting for waaaaay more than 4 hours. Regardless, I'm pleased, have an absolute ton of emeralds.

EDIT: Man, feels downright like cheating. Trading a stick for an enchanted diamond sword?
    Substitute a stick for rotten flesh and you pretty much have the basis for my own infinite diamond project.

On an unrelated note, my constant farm-construction has left me with an odd problem; I have more gunpowder than I know what to do with.

My Homebrew

Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Substitute a stick for rotten flesh and you pretty much have the basis for my own infinite diamond project.

On an unrelated note, my constant farm-construction has left me with an odd problem; I have more gunpowder than I know what to do with.
    "As the size of an explosion increases the number of social problems it can solve approaches zero..
    And that would be wrong."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

29. - Top - End - #59

Please, do tell.

When it comes to villagers and diamonds, I’m only aware of getting diamond gear, which can’t be converted into diamonds.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Please, do tell.

When it comes to villagers and diamonds, I’m only aware of getting diamond gear, which can’t be converted into diamonds.
    In term of diamond spending stuff you need only one enchanting table outside of diamond gear for all your fighting needs.
    Last edited by noob; 2020-11-19 at 01:46 PM.