New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: afroakuma's Planar And Other Oddities Questions Thread VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I distinctly remember Libris Mortis mentioning that undead are in some way funnels to the Negative Plane. What happens inside a ghoul is fundamentally different from what happens inside a lion. Inside a living being, the eaten thing becomes changed into a new state. That doesn't happen inside a feeding undead. Whatever is eaten by it gets funneld into the Negative and eradicated. Every time an undead feeds, it makes the world a little less.
    That's only realky relevant on demiplanes, as the other planes are infinite. And even on demiplanes it only matters if it exceeds the influx from conjuration magic
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

I used to wrong word; not static, stagnant. I am quite sure that Afro mentioned in one of the earlier threads that sapient undead have a noted tendency to not change much, to be set in their ways. He also mentioned that undead worship is less nourishing for deities and gave the stagnancy of their souls as a reason.
    Undead are spiritually stagnant, true. But anyone considering undeath as a means of eternal existence isn't particularly concerned about their god's opinion on their soul, methinks. And while undead may get set in their ways after a few centuries, that's not particularly noteworthy when outsiders have relatively fixed natures and venerable elves tend to get pretty curmudgeonly themselves.

Regarding petitioners, all of them feel the drive to come closer to their planes/powers and fuse with them, but not all of them are in a hurry. They've got eternity.
    Indeed, but my point was that a mortal considering their afterlife options isn't necessarily going to care about that or even consider that part a positive at all, and in fact one might actively dislike the idea of merging with a plane and losing their selfhood even if it takes a bazillion years, which provides another motivation to become undead.

I may be mistaken, but I distinctly remember Libris Mortis mentioning that undead are in some way funnels to the Negative Plane.
    That's mentioned as one of five possible theories for the existence of undeath-as-a-state-of-existence, so it's not necessarily true; in fact, it's really just an oblique reference to how some undead in the pre-Planescape cosmology were said to exist on the Prime Material and Negative Material Planes simultaneously (and the bit about possible Positive Energy undead is referencing how mummies used to be Positive Material Plane-powered anti-undead of sorts) and never mentioned again in any 3e material.

But even within that section, it contradicts itself as to how harmful the "drain" is. It says "More precisely, they believe that undead on the Material Plane are linked to the Negative Energy Plane via a conduit, just as life itself somehow partakes of positive energy," which is the equal-and-opposite-to-a-living-being stance I referenced, and then it says "The very existence of even the weakest undead produces a constant drain on the energies of the Material Plane, which accounts for sensations of cold often attributed to the unliving," which is the funnel-of-negative-energy stance you mentioned...but even then, the drain is basically irrelevant because energy is flowing into the Material Plane from the Positive Energy Plane at the same time energy is flowing out to the Negative Energy Plane and, as Bohandas mentioned, any difference in energy level or flow rates is immaterial (heh) when dealing with infinite planes.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

3. - Top - End - #273

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Indeed, but my point was that a mortal considering their afterlife options isn't necessarily going to care about that or even consider that part a positive at all, and in fact one might actively dislike the idea of merging with a plane and losing their selfhood even if it takes a bazillion years, which provides another motivation to become undead.
    This. Honestly I'm not sure what significant difference there is between that and decomposition. It sounds like the same thing when you think about it. Doesn't it?

EDIT:
    Or like being reincarnated as a rock or something like Scegf0d the Ungrateful from the old computer game Afterlife
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-12-11 at 02:04 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

4. - Top - End - #274

What happens if a crystal sphere lacks a god for some major concept. No sun god perhaps? Or no god of death>

Omegaupdate Forum

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What is the primary source for (seen quite a few times in these threads) piece of lore, namely: the "Guardian of the Dead Gods" is not a god anymore (but still can kick anyone's ass seven ways to Sunday) and doesn't like to be referred as "Anubis" anymore
    Bearing in mind that I despise being asked to dig up references, and therefore am not likely to indulge another question like this in a hurry, you will find the Guardian of the Dead Gods detailed on pp. 38-39 of A Guide to the Astral Plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Was the dwarven deity Clangeddin Silverbeard always specific to the Forgotten Realms?
    As covered by others above, nyet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Why aren't there any good and evil elemental deities but there are good and evil elemental lords?
    There are plenty of good and evil elemental deities. Pyremius, Kaelthiere, Laerme, Huehueteotl, Girru, Agni, Hastsezini, Surtr, Phaulkon, Hotoru, Qotal, Fei Lieng, Fien Po, Shu, Aerdrie Faenya, Lliendil, Habbakuk, Zeboim, Sebek, Naunet, I got bored and stopped listing.

The thing is, though, that by definition attributing "good" or "evil" (or law or chaos for that matter) to an element brings with it some association as to why that element is good or evil, and such deities tend to have their natures and portfolios evolve accordingly. Habbakuk is a good-aligned god of water who is seen as the facilitator of ocean travel and the giver of the sea's bounty, and is worshiped as a marine deity by sailors and fishermen. Zeboim is an evil-aligned water goddess, associated with storms, drowning, and the dark mysteries of the unfathomable depths; she is accordingly propitiated to spare those who must risk her capricious temperament from the worst of her wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    If half-fiends have a chariama bonus why do tieflings have a charisma penalty?
    Remember that Charisma doesn't purely measure "attractiveness." A strong sense of self, self-worth, interpersonal magnetism... these are things that individual tieflings may certainly possess, but from birth they are "wrong" in ways that others pick up on, and often will experience difficulties feeling like they belong or are fully welcome in their birth societies, coupled with feelings such as shame, resentment, or fear of persecution. Not every tiefling will have these experiences, of course, but the trend is toward some awkward periods in childhood and adolescence that challenge the tiefling's ability to relate to others without resorting to aggressive methods (remembering that people can be aggressively nice/friendly just as easily as aggressively hostile/belligerent). Similar to half-orcs - a half-orc is stronger, generally taller, and theoretically more intimidating to the average human than another human would be, but the Charisma penalty indicates that when trying to intimidate, they either fail to sell the point (inexperience with interpersonal subtleties and how hard to push) or cross the line (provoking hostility with a naked threat when a veiled implication might have caused hesitation and a willingness to negotiate).

Is there any reason why becoming a templated undead is not people's preferred afterlife?
    I mean, for one, it's not an afterlife. You don't get to experience what comes next - and you suffer the consequences of whatever mode of existence you've pursued instead.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, the vast overwhelming majority of mortals have no knowledge of the Outer Planes or any of what awaits them beyond death. That's why it's "belief."

This. Honestly I'm not sure what significant difference there is between that and decomposition. It sounds like the same thing when you think about it. Doesn't it?
    It annoys me that there's a perfect media depiction of why this makes sense and it's a huge spoiler for the series in question. To attempt to address without going there:

In the afterlife, you lose the physiological needs of a living being. Those no longer exist for you. You can choose to eat or drink, but not doing so lacks any consequence for you. You also have no need to concern yourself with shelter - you will not suffer the elements, you're not particularly required to sleep, and in most afterlives you don't have to concern yourself with predators or other risks to your person in a meaningful context. We're working our way up the pyramid of needs pretty fast. Being in the afterlife means you are "where you are belong" and "with those you belong with," which is the next step up, and the final two steps are esteem/accomplishment and self-actualization. The challenge here is that it's hard to have goals which have a real meaning, since you can't do anything that ripples back to the Material Plane.

So what's a soul to strive toward? Well, above his pyramid, Maslow put a sixth category: transcendence, which is the need to find meaning by giving oneself to something beyond oneself - shriven of upkeep-based needs and having moved beyond the state where specific tangible goals motivate you, the next step is wanting to have an impact on others based on their unfulfilled needs.

This might involve becoming an outsider and joining the hierarchy of divine servants, being tasked with purposes by a deity or cause you believe in; or it might involve merging, renewing the thing you believe in with your specific beliefs about it, and becoming part of a gestalt that makes those things real and possible.

What happens if a crystal sphere lacks a god for some major concept. No sun god perhaps? Or no god of death>
    Unless that portfolio originally existed within the divine corpus of that sphere, nothing relevant. If it did, and the god holding it has been destroyed or abdicated their post, there may be supernatural disruptions as the forces involved go undirected, depending on how the local overgod has set up divine responsibilities. In Realmspace, for instance, the gods have explicit responsibilities, and a missing or disrupted deity can play havoc with the concept they represent. Conversely, in Krynnspace, the gods have implicit responsibilities, and the concepts they represent can exist without divine curation.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

If there were a spell that lets you take a chunk of any substance and summon an elemental of it, and someone were to use a Calling spell plus some violence to obtain a chunk of demoinc flesh, then used the hypothetical spell I mentioned to make an "Abyss Elemental" then...

...How would such an elemental look and act?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    If there were a spell that lets you take a chunk of any substance and summon an elemental of it, and someone were to use a Calling spell plus some violence to obtain a chunk of demoinc flesh, then used the hypothetical spell I mentioned to make an "Abyss Elemental" then...

...How would such an elemental look and act?
    It wouldn't. The spell would fail. An [outer plane] elemental is an oxymoron. If somehow the spell worked, despite the fact that this is like trying to use electricity to make a mango's legs twitch like you would a dead frog's, you'd probably wind up summoning some existing Tanar'ri, since it's made up of the same manifested soul energy as the demon you called.

If such a spell created an elemental from the existing matter instead of summoning, and worked despite magic not working that way, which I think you're getting at, it would probably create some variety of Obyrith instead (assuming that using this on a piece of humanoid flesh would create a water elemental). Pure abyss-matter untouched by mortal souls is Obyrith. Enjoy the insanity.

Attempting the same on Devils would get you the scariest cease and desist order in the multiverse.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming for a moment it was possible, and did work, I'd imagine the result could be something like a Demonically Infused Elemental (Dragon Compendium); or maybe an Elemental Demon (Dragon Compendium), or even a Taint Elemental (HoH)...

9. - Top - End - #279

So Pathfinder's Golarion has just as interesting a take on atheism as Faerun imo.

The goddess of the dead there throws atheist souls at the moon/god of ending the universe when he gets to close to drive him away and/or appease him.

Are there any other popular campaign settings that give atheists every specific very bad end for seemingly no reason?

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    So Pathfinder's Golarion has just as interesting a take on atheism as Faerun imo.

The goddess of the dead there throws atheist souls at the moon/god of ending the universe when he gets to close to drive him away and/or appease him.

Are there any other popular campaign settings that give atheists every specific very bad end for seemingly no reason?
    I do not know about "popular", but in Tellene, a third-party setting, the souls of atheists are devoured by a giant sphere-of-annihilation-like phenomenon that grows with every devoured soul, eradicating a bit more of the (finite) space where the divine realms are. Logically, the deities take anyone they can justify in.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post

Dark Sun

There are no gods so technically everyone is an atheist (at least in the narrow sense), and souls of the dead try to get away from the world only to be caught in the Gray to be slowly eroded to nothing.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Colossus in the Playground

At least one planescape book says that Asmodeus gets all atheists.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    At least one planescape book says that Asmodeus gets all atheists.
    You are screwing with us, right? That goes against the whole "petitioner of a plane" thing...

14. - Top - End - #284

You are screwing with us, right? That goes against the whole "petitioner of a plane" thing...
    I think it was the 1e Guide to Hell, which IIRC had a lot of inconsistencies with other planescape material

EDIT:
    And that particular bit also contradicts Forgotten Realms canon now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    There are plenty of good and evil elemental deities. Pyremius, Kaelthiere, Laerme, Huehueteotl, Girru, Agni, Hastsezini, Surtr, Phaulkon, Hotoru, Qotal, Fei Lieng, Fien Po, Shu, Aerdrie Faenya, Lliendil, Habbakuk, Zeboim, Sebek, Naunet, I got bored and stopped listing.
    Don't forget Tharizdun (and to a lesser extent Iuz, Zuggtmoy, and Lolth)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-12-17 at 03:51 AM.

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #285

I didn't know Guide to Hell was 1E. That was before my time anyway, I got all my Planescape stuff through either Ebay or PDFs.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I didn't know Guide to Hell was 1E. That was before my time anyway, I got all my Planescape stuff through either Ebay or PDFs.
    That's because it's 2nd Ed. Planescape didn't exist in 1st Ed, there was a Manual of the Planes, but that was about it.

17. - Top - End - #287

And according to Wikipedia, it was published in 1999, 5 years after the Planescape campaign setting.

Not an official PS supplement, though, which I suppose explains the weirdness.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Here's the exact quote about Big A and atheists:

Quote Originally Posted by Guide to Hell, p.49
    An oft-overlooked piece of planar cosmology is that belief is required to be reborn in the afterlife. That is, a mortal must believe in something to become a petitioner. In worlds in which the power of the gods is manifested through clerical spells, belief isn't hard to come by. However, there are always those who reject the divinity of the powers and the existence of an afterlife. It is thought that the spirits of these unbelievers, lacking the will to continue on, simply cease to exist when the body dies. This too is a misconception.

Unbelief is the tool of the Lord of Lies, and those who die believing in nothing are reborn on the ninth layer of Hell regardless of alignment. These unfortunates are the true damned of the universe. While other petitioners strive to merge with their deities, the unbelievers are consumed by Asmodeus in the depths of Hell. This painful process takes centuries to complete, during which time the unbelievers maintain full awareness. They vividly experience the loss of every ounce of their true essence, as Asmodeus slowly destroys all that they were and any hope that they could be again.

So while the rest the powers feed on belief, the Lord of Lies lives on unbelief. His true agenda is to promote lack of faith, not to fool mortals into embracing evil. The entire machinery of Hell, from the Blood War to the temptation of mortals to the politics of the infernal courts, is nothing but a smokescreen.

[...]

The Athar, also known as the Lost and the Defiers, are Asmodeus’s favorite group. They believe that the powers are a bunch of frauds. In their view, the gods are powerful beings, but they are not divine. The Athar believe that everyone has the potential to become that powerful, given the right circumstances, but that might doesn’t equal godliness.

If this sounds perfect for Asmodeus, it is. The ironic part is that he didn’t even found the Athar. They sprang up on their own, independent of Hell. However, the philosophy of the Athar is so ideal for Asmodeus’s purposes that he watches their activities and provides covert assistance to them when necessary. The Athar have no idea that the Lord of Lies is on their side, and Asmodeus is careful to disguise any aid he gives them.
    Now, all of this doesn't really fit with the rest of Planescape metaphysics at all, was never mentioned before Guide to Hell and hasn't been mentioned since, and appears in a book that is, as Eldan mentioned, not an official Planescape book.

But the out-of-left-field change makes sense at a metagame level, because Guide to Hell was one of the first few cosmology-focused books published after D&D's Satanic Panic era, so in addition to bringing back "devil" and "demon" as game terms in addition to "baatezu" and "tanar'ri" the writers were directed to deliberately reintroduce setting elements that were more edgy and provocative than were seen in Planescape, and trying to position Asmodeus as the Big Evil of the setting was part of that.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

This was Afro's previous response if you're interested... though using demon flesh is interesting...

Conjuring an elemental brings a unique being whose inherent nature involves inhabiting and manipulating a body formed from its native element into the Material Plane. You can't conjure the spiritual essence of an Outer Plane because 1) it's not a distinctive being, it's just the anchoring foundation of a place literally made of belief; and 2) you have nothing to host it in. Your best imitation is still a totally illogical and incompatible mess because it lacks the nature of the plane in question. Small wonder that planar golems are so intensely difficult to create.
    You could probably create something akin to a Demonflesh Golem (Fiend Folio) to begin with. If you then tried to seperate the animating "spirit" from the body, I think you would fail though, as the golem's sentience is simply an emergent trait of the substance, rather than a spirit in its own right bound to a physical form.
    Last edited by Dalmosh; 2020-12-19 at 12:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Halfling in the Playground

I am in Sigil and I want to be mazed. What is the most efficient way to get Mazed by the Lady without her killing you? Can you simply walk up to here and ask to be Mazed?

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Alarm View Post
    I am in Sigil and I want to be mazed.
    False.
    What is the most efficient way to get Mazed by the Lady without her killing you?
    There is no guaranteed, or even vaguely viable, way of getting her to do anything specific.
    Can you simply walk up to here and ask to be Mazed?
    You can, physically speaking, walk in a direction that is towards her; you can probably even do so on purpose. However, if you were doing so in an attempt to get Mazed on purpose (which... why?) you would probably get Flayed before you could ask anything.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-12-26 at 09:18 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

22. - Top - End - #292

I am in Sigil and I want to be mazed. What is the most efficient way to get Mazed by the Lady without her killing you? Can you simply walk up to here and ask to be Mazed?
    According to Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, steal a book from her library. She'll Maze you with only a blank book for company.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    According to Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, steal a book from her library. She'll Maze you with only a blank book for company.
    Was that the guy who managed to gain power over the maze he was trapped in, as well as letting other people in and out, and even giving it Harbinger-House—esque anti_lady properties, all by writing "I rule this place, not the Lady" and "This place exists in Sigil's place, but it is not Sigil" and several similar things into a book that was magically always accurate? Or am I thinking of something else?

EDIT: The thing I'm half-remembering has some connection to Umbril, I think.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-12-26 at 10:36 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #294

Was that the guy who managed to gain power over the maze he was trapped in, as well as letting other people in and out, and even giving it Harbinger-House—esque anti_lady properties, all by writing "I rule this place, not the Lady" and "This place exists in Sigil's place, but it is not Sigil" and several similar things into a book that was magically always accurate? Or am I thinking of something else?

EDIT: The thing I'm half-remembering has some connection to Umbril, I think.
    That is something completely unrelated.

This is a literal library, that the Lady has an interest in. We don't know if she made it or what, but she personally makes sure that people who mess with the library get comeuppance. One of the better collections of lore in the multiverse, since books come in from everywhere and the Lady makes sure that no Library of Alexandria incidents can occur.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    That is something completely unrelated.

This is a literal library, that the Lady has an interest in. We don't know if she made it or what, but she personally makes sure that people who mess with the library get comeuppance. One of the better collections of lore in the multiverse, since books come in from everywhere and the Lady makes sure that no Library of Alexandria incidents can occur.
    Who was I thinking of, then? Was it the same guy who killed his future self in a ritual and then got trapped in a rock and then was killed within the rock by his past self in a ritual, or was this a different idiot-who-tried-to-conquer-Sigil?

EDIT: Found it.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-12-28 at 07:04 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have some questions about animi and souls.
    First of all living, mindless and some undead, mindless creatures have an animus, intelligent creatures have souls (exept elementals and outsiders that technically are souls) and constructs have an animating force (usually an elemental). Is that right or are already some of my basics wrong?
    2. Incarnum is a magic substance made up of soul energy but is it possible that Incarnum is created from animi?
    3. Plants and oozes are normally mindless and have animi but do intelligent one like treants have souls (and would something like a treant soulmeld be possible)?
    4. Do warforged and other intelligent constructs have a real soul or an potentially better animated force (or an animus)?
    5. If somebody uses "awaken" on a tree or "awaken vermin" on vermin does he create a new soul for that now sentient being or does he 'upgrade' the animus into a soul?
    Edit: 5.5 Does the 'upgraded' animus disappear like a normal animus or is the creature able to go into an afterlife?
    6. Do the spells "awaken construct" and "incarnate construct" create a soul or do they change the animated force and what happens to the animated force if it doesn't change especially in the case of "incarnate construct"?
    Last edited by Larbek24; 2020-12-28 at 12:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297

Being in her direct proximity is dangerous because her shadow has some kind of dangerous mojo in it that causes living things it falls upon to be cut/torn apart. Better to submit a request through her Daubus servitors.

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #298
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

False.There is no guaranteed, or even vaguely viable, way of getting her to do anything specific.You can, physically speaking, walk in a direction that is towards her; you can probably even do so on purpose. However, if you were doing so in an attempt to get Mazed on purpose (which... why?) you would probably get Flayed before you could ask anything.
    Well, you are not Afro so I would dare to ask a question: how do you know what do you know? I agree about "no guaranteed way", but why would you say that one would probably get Flayed for intention to be Mazed? Are you assuming by default that any and all such attempt is somehow attempt to subvert the Lady and therefore she calls shenanigans?

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Well, you are not Afro so I would dare to ask a question: how do you know what do you know? I agree about "no guaranteed way", but why would you say that one would probably get Flayed for intention to be Mazed? Are you assuming by default that any and all such attempt is somehow attempt to subvert the Lady and therefore she calls shenanigans?
    Enderlord has a slight tendency for exaggeration, but he isn't far off. I vaguely remember a story I read somewhere in a Planescape sourcebook (no idea which one) about a guy who wanted to communicate with the Lady. He started with, well, talking at her. No reaction. He escalated. He tried yelling, writing, translation spells, simple telepathy. Then, one day, he appeared with some kind of techno-magical device covering his head. It combined, in some way, telepathy and language magic. He managed to make contact with the Lady. That was when the screaming started.
    Today he's still walking Sigil's streets, half-flayed, half-stitched together with his device, babbling unendingly in unknown tongues.

Leave the Lady alone.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

I said "probably" not "definitely" or "inevitably"
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.