Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Drivers Wanted!] Postapocalyptic Cannonbal Run Across Europe - Brűtâl Racing

Hey, fellow playgrounders!

Would you – for a moment – consider entering into completely legal race across post-apocalyptic Europe? In best tradition of Paris-Dakar, Cannonball Run and Iditarod – just you, the road, your 50.cal machine gun welded to your junk of a car...?

Post-apocalyptic racing, starting from London.

Sound interesting?

How does “Postapocalyptic Cannonball run in Jalopy-like cars powered by Junk’d ruleset” sound?

Brűtâl Racing will be a game about driving a car. Except the car has controls from a crane, engine that works on random explosions, terrible brakes, but is also full of weapons, armored and most probably on fire. And the road is a hellish landscape of post-apocalyptic Europe... and is most probably on fire. Everything burns, there are ghost riders that MAY try to kill you, other drivers that WILL try to kill you, wrecks of those who attempted the race before you and you need to survive.

Did I mention it’s actually a race...?

Join us on this wonderful hellscape as we watch the drivers try to survive the cannonball run that is Brűtâl Racing! From ruined cityscape of London to docks of Venice, and maybe even further!

You'll spend your time building your first vehicle, then trying to survive the races. Sponsors, rewards and more cars await!

The system will be easy, newbie friendly. I will supply the rules as this is actually an alpha-test of sorts: the engine we are going to be running on is Junk'd by Runehammer (a very nice, crazy system), modified by yours truly to allow lots of other stuff.

If I get enough interest (ideal 4+ players, max 12), I'll run it.

Got enough interest! We'll be running and gunning the hell out of this!

So, jump into your Jalopy, and let me know: what did you do to get enough $craps to pay for your racing car?

Spoiler: Ruleset
    Show

Car Design Sheet!
    Works with Office 365, if you use your google docs, it may do some fun stuff.

Racing Rules
    Version 3.4 changelog: removed mistakes.

Car Design Rules
    Version 3.4 changelog: Based on comments. Reworked fuel tanks, removed few mistakes. Updated pricing for gearboxes.

Spoiler: BRSheet
    Show

Driver’s Name:
    Driver’s Type:
    Traits:
    Unlucky Number:

F&F: 0
    $craps: 75
    Car Name:
    CurrentSpeed: 0
    Top Speed:
    Max Speed:
    Acceleration: xd6

Road Offroad Wet Wet Offroad
    Handling
    Braking

Structure
    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Reliability
    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Armor
    Ballistic
    Impact

Guns

Accuracy AOE Damage Special
    Gun 1
    Gun 2
    Gun 3
    Gun 4

RAM:

Consumption:
    Base Fuel Cost (per tank):

Other equipment:

• Fuel Tank (basic)

Trunk (free space): ?

Spoiler: ”Detailed Car Info”
    Show

Chassis: e.g. MilSpecHummVee
    Engine: e.g. Double Lumbagoengini
    Fuel Type: Diesel
    Consumption = 28,5l/100km
    Gearbox: Swilly Pete’s, 5-speed manual
    Suspension: Barkenroe’s Special, Hard
    Tires: FJG, Offroad
    Armor: Uncle Wally's Steel Plates, Layered
    Weapons
    Armor

Spoiler: OrderSheet
    Show

Driver’s Name:
    Unlucky Number:
    CurrentSpeed:
    Order: ???

*you may use this format for your round orders*

Spoiler: Poster
    Show

First race of the Brűtâl Race Tournament - London - France - begins soon!
    Your starting fees have been already paid (that's why you start with 75 instead of 100 $craps), but you need to get a car!

Hurry up. Clock's ticking!

3 stretches (London Streets, London Outskirts, Tunnel)!
    Winner gets a bonus of 15 $craps!
    2nd place gets bonus of 10 $craps!
    3rd place gets bonus of 5 $craps!
    Everyone earns something based on their Victory Points!

Are you ready?
    Last edited by lacco36; 2020-07-29 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Update
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Currently recruiting for Brűtâl Racing, postapocalyptic semi-comedic cannonball run across the Europe in worst cars you can imagine. Sign up and get ready to burn.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: [Interest Check] Postapocalyptic Cannonbal Run Across Europe - Brűtâl Racing

I’d be interested, would you be able to send me a copy of the rules?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [Interest Check] Postapocalyptic Cannonbal Run Across Europe - Brűtâl Racing

Sounds cool. Let me grab my goggles!
    I am not crazy! I prefer "reality impaired".

4. - Top - End - #4

PaladinGuy

Ooh, this sounds like a fun idea. Always up for anything in a potsapocalypse setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

First and foremost: hello and welcome to you all! I'm glad to see some interest and will hope more will sign up - after all, we need crazy courageous racers that want to crash & burn down their junk of a car win the races, fame and fortune!

Quote Originally Posted by PartyOfRouges View Post
    I’d be interested, would you be able to send me a copy of the rules?

I will PM you with the rules - there are currently rules for racing & separate car design rules. At the moment they are in alpha - the game runs on slightly modified ruleset of Junk'd (list of changes/improvements: custom car creation, turns, car maintenance and modifications necessary to turn it onto the "cannonball run" type), so I will not share it completely freely, but all players will have access to the rules.

I also recommend (although it's not mandatory) to buy the Junk'd rulebook if you come to enjoy the game. After all, it's important to support publishing authors.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic View Post
    Sounds cool. Let me grab my goggles!
    You'll also get complementary asbestos & lead-lined apron, flame-resistant gloves and roll of duct tape!

Quote Originally Posted by flame12 View Post
    Ooh, this sounds like a fun idea. Always up for anything in a potsapocalypse setting
    Good to hear! It will be fun, there will be lots of fun!

...also: are you familiar with dwarf fortress definition of fun?

EDIT: Additional information.

Beyond car design the posting rate may be relatively frequent, but will not require too much effort. Usually I will ask for your orders for the round (which consist of one sentence + 1 or 2 rolls) and then narrate the results when I get all the inputs.

You'll also get a full race report (maybe even with pictures!) at certain points (usually once per 2-3 rounds + one at the finish).

So, not too much serious reading, just some relatively mindless fun (like watching cars wreck each other using guns and snow plows, but in slo-mo). The overall theme should be "what if we made a cannonball run in post-apocalyptic Europe, but with contestants from Wacky Races and with machine guns?!". There will be definitve post-apocalyptic vibe, but we'll keep the races fun - as far as possible.

Also: not possible to die. Your car may be a wreck, but you'll climb out and survive (if you wish to) and go on, to next race. It will be possible to enter the races in later phase, but advantage should be with those who start at the beginning.

EDIT2: I have sent you two links, one with basic rules, one with car design. The latter does not work properly, so if interested, let me know. I'll re-send the correct one.
    Last edited by lacco36; 2020-07-20 at 08:51 AM.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Currently recruiting for Brűtâl Racing, postapocalyptic semi-comedic cannonball run across the Europe in worst cars you can imagine. Sign up and get ready to burn.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I can't get to the car design rules. The corrected link is another link to the base rules.

Shooting really confuses me. The rules says you roll and try to come up with the target lane, but example completely contradicts it. He fires at a target in Lane 5, and somehow hits despite rolling zero 5s.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't get to the car design rules. The corrected link is another link to the base rules.

Shooting really confuses me. The rules says you roll and try to come up with the target lane, but example completely contradicts it. He fires at a target in Lane 5, and somehow hits despite rolling zero 5s.
    Thanks for finding that! The lane number should be 4 in the example. I'll rework it in the next version.

Just to explain:

Your car can normally hit only targets in the same lane (there are exceptions). So you roll the dice and count only those which show the number of your lane.

If you have 4 machine guns (accuracy 1d6) and you are in lane 1, you roll 4d6 and only count 1s.

I will send you PM with both correct links.

And just so you know: I am aware that there are mistakes/missing information in the documents. I expect fair amount of critique and advice and I will be grateful for it.
    Last edited by lacco36; 2020-07-20 at 05:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

When you buy a gunner or navigator seat, does the gunner come with it, or do you have to pay them?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

When you buy a gunner or navigator seat, does the gunner come with it, or do you have to pay them?
    You have to pay them. I'd assume half up front, half after - and cost depending on length of contract. Basically: the longer you hire them for, the less you pay per race.

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

How much exactly?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm interested in this. How varied will the racing environments be? Edit: How's the crunch?
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2020-07-20 at 07:11 PM.
    My posting may be slowed due to graduation and the job search.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    You have to pay them. I'd assume half up front, half after - and cost depending on length of contract. Basically: the longer you hire them for, the less you pay per race.
    Aw, there goes my idea of a Dukes of Hazzard rip-off loving homage.

A couple of things I've noticed.

Is there no range limit on gunnery? So no matter how far in the lead you are, you can get blown away by somebody at the back of the pack?

What's the target for the Ram checks you make when you go off the road?

If all the transmissions weigh 1 without exception, why not roll transmission weight into body weight and get rid of another variable in the building accounting?

Either the armor additions are too good, or the higher cost armors are too weak. Compare Reinforced Micro & Soft plating to vanilla Destructoys armor. Both have the cost and armor values, but the MS armor gives two bonus structure and weighs less.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2020-07-20 at 07:56 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

How much exactly?
    Let's see: 5$scraps for single race, additional races get -1 to a minimum of 1. Half forward, half after race. If gunner gets killed, you lose what you paid but can keep the second half.

That's in London. After that the market will obey the law od supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by QuadraticGish View Post
    I'm interested in this. How varied will the racing environments be? Edit: How's the crunch?
    First race will be London streets stretch (downtown, straight road). Then outskirts (some dirt, narrow road) and the tunnel.

In France the fun starts: the winner selects next challenge.

Crunch is terrible but races will be more aboit risk mitigation and playing to your strengths. And hopefully fun and explosions.

Aw, there goes my idea of a Dukes of Hazzard rip-off loving homage.
    Haven't seen Dukes of Hazzard yet.

A couple of things I've noticed.

Is there no range limit on gunnery? So no matter how far in the lead you are, you can get blown away by somebody at the back of the pack?
    Unless you are behind a barrier or behind a turn you could be hit.

What's the target for the Ram checks you make when you go off the road?
    Lane 1 or 6 - the edges.

If all the transmissions weigh 1 without exception, why not roll transmission weight into body weight and get rid of another variable in the building accounting?
    A good catch. The weight was added when I actually thought about varying it with gearboxes. Your solution works fine.

Either the armor additions are too good, or the higher cost armors are too weak. Compare Reinforced Micro & Soft plating to vanilla Destructoys armor. Both have the cost and armor values, but the MS armor gives two bonus structure and weighs less.
    Again, good catch. You have been awarded 3 $craps for bringing this to my attention, paid immediately.

I'd either keep the costs as they are and double/triple/quadruple costs for structural repairs if you use armor additions or increase costs.

Votes? 😉

14. - Top - End - #14

I'd like to see the ruleset.

15. - Top - End - #15

AssassinGuy

Just sent you the rules

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Haven't seen Dukes of Hazzard yet.
    It's only been out for like 40 years.

Again, good catch. You have been awarded 3 $craps for bringing this to my attention, paid immediately.

I'd either keep the costs as they are and double/triple/quadruple costs for structural repairs if you use armor additions or increase costs.

Votes? 😉
    Ka-ching!

I'd say put the cost up front. The fewer exceptions you have to make in the rules, the less likely you are to run into "The aces are wild unless the dealer is left-handed and it's thursday" type situations.

Alternatively, you could nerf the add-ons to only add one armor of the respective type or structure. This generally makes them strictly worse than upgrading your armor unless you really want to minmax. As it stands, a juicer with layered milspec can throw up to 5 dice to resist anything you hit him with. Cockroach-based callsigns are likely.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Just sent you the rules
    Thank you for helping out!

The link to current version 3.3 of the rules have been added to opening post, so feel free to get them.

Changelog is included in the spoiler.

It's only been out for like 40 years.
    Still time to see it! And what was the thing you wished to add to your design? I'm open to suggestions.

Ka-ching!

I'd say put the cost up front. The fewer exceptions you have to make in the rules, the less likely you are to run into "The aces are wild unless the dealer is left-handed and it's thursday" type situations.

Alternatively, you could nerf the add-ons to only add one armor of the respective type or structure. This generally makes them strictly worse than upgrading your armor unless you really want to minmax. As it stands, a juicer with layered milspec can throw up to 5 dice to resist anything you hit him with. Cockroach-based callsigns are likely.
    Thank you for the suggestion! We'll keep rules from going crazy Also regarding armor: keep in mind that you throw 5 dice, but success rate for 5 dice will still be somewhere around 60%...

BRO Information of the Day!

If you want a copy of the rules (newest version), see OP.

Heavy armor now provides 1 structure and additional 1 ballistic armor rating.
    Layered armor now provides 1 structure and 1 impact armor rating.
    Reinforced adds 2 structure, 1 ballistic and 1 impact.
    Weights for some armor brands have been reworked.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are now past "interest check" and are officially recruiting. Currently there are 4 potential drivers on GitP, 2 potential drivers outside GitP, with maybe one additional interested person. If we keep these numbers or increase them, we may start the race in few days, once cars are finished. As said, I'll take as many as 12 drivers.

Please, comment on the rules & car design. I am open to suggestions regarding additional equipment, changes to tone down potential gamebreaking stuff and additional FUN .

Opening post now also contains a preferred car & driver sheets... and some shameless promotion!
    Last edited by lacco36; 2020-07-21 at 11:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Still time to see it! And what was the thing you wished to add to your design? I'm open to suggestions.
    I was going to have a gunner or navigator seat since it's the Dukes of Hazzard, but a hired gun just doesn't have the same dynamic.

But that's OK. I found something else.

Heavy armor now provides 1 structure and additional 1 ballistic armor rating.
    Layered armor now provides 1 structure and 1 impact armor rating.
    Reinforced adds 2 structure, 1 ballistic and 1 impact.
    Weights for some armor brands have been reworked.[/B]
    I don't think you put the revised figures for the upper tier armors in, because the Destructotoys armor is still outclassed by reinforced MS armor.

More questions:

What's the order of re-rolls if a gunner shoots at a deadeye?

Can deadeyes force a re-roll if their car is caught by splash damage?

Where is fuel consumption? The engine rules touch on fuel economy, but there's nowhere to tell you how much fuel you use during a race, and thus how much refueling costs.

What happens if a stat drops to 0 and you're forced to roll? Auto fail?

Are you limited to a single repair roll during between-races time? Because otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much point in paying for repairs.

In the shooting example, the mortar should be a hit now that you moved the good doctor over to lane 4. 1+3=4.

In corners, it's literally impossible to fail if you're in the outside lane.

Skidding's messed up. First it says to move out side by 1-3 lanes depending on the severity of the turn, and if you hit the edge, you skid. Skid starts by telling you to move out by 1 lane for each point of excess speed past the turn. But you're already at the edge, that's why you're skidding!

Turns in general are weird. The higher your handling goes, the harder it is to stick the inside lanes, but the surer you are on the outside. A 1 handling car on the inner rail will pass 1/6 tries. 5 handling, which you'd expect to do better, has a fraction of a percent chance. I haven't come up with a fix that isn't massively unwieldy yet.

Unlucky dice are mentioned a couple times, but it looks like the only way to gain them is by exceeding top speed. Is this right? Do they ever go away?
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2020-07-21 at 05:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I was going to have a gunner or navigator seat since it's the Dukes of Hazzard, but a hired gun just doesn't have the same dynamic.

But that's OK. I found something else.
    Technically, you could name them and try to keep them alive...

The navigator will help a lot once we move to mountain areas - lots of twists & turns, no overview of the track.

I don't think you put the revised figures for the upper tier armors in, because the Destructotoys armor is still outclassed by reinforced MS armor.
    I agree. I am thinking of increasing the values of Structure for MilSpec & Destructo armors (2/1).

Also: you can upgrade your armor easily - switching from normal to layered is possible at any point between races - but buying and installing new is not as cheap and you need to find a workshop that is able to do so. Not so easy on the road.

More questions:
    More answers!

What's the order of re-rolls if a gunner shoots at a deadeye?

Can deadeyes force a re-roll if their car is caught by splash damage?
    Gunner rolls their GUNS roll.

Deadeye requrests a reroll because they do not like the result.

Gunner rerolls, keeps the second roll.

And yes, splash damage counts too.

Where is fuel consumption? The engine rules touch on fuel economy, but there's nowhere to tell you how much fuel you use during a race, and thus how much refueling costs.
    Your fuel consumption is discussed below Engines. Your base value is equal to your engine's power (DHP), modified by type of fuel (alcohol is the least efficient, so you consume more). Prices may vary between races, but there is also a table with cost per liter.

Fuel consumption is currently set per race, which may is mainly for simplifying the work.

What happens if a stat drops to 0 and you're forced to roll? Auto fail?
    Autofaiiiiil! Or you roll 1 die, but your Reliability goes immediately down by 1.

Are you limited to a single repair roll during between-races time? Because otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much point in paying for repairs.
    Between races you may do only a single roll - but you may hire unlimited amount of hired help

This represents not the passing of time, but actual skill. Techies roll double the dice.

In the shooting example, the mortar should be a hit now that you moved the good doctor over to lane 4. 1+3=4.
    Correct, will fix that. Don't want anyone to get hit by that thing.

In corners, it's literally impossible to fail if you're in the outside lane.

Skidding's messed up. First it says to move out side by 1-3 lanes depending on the severity of the turn, and if you hit the edge, you skid. Skid starts by telling you to move out by 1 lane for each point of excess speed past the turn. But you're already at the edge, that's why you're skidding!

Turns in general are weird. The higher your handling goes, the harder it is to stick the inside lanes, but the surer you are on the outside. A 1 handling car on the inner rail will pass 1/6 tries. 5 handling, which you'd expect to do better, has a fraction of a percent chance. I haven't come up with a fix that isn't massively unwieldy yet.
    The original idea was this:
    You approach a turn.
    You decide to either roll a Handling roll or to try to plow through it.

Option A: You roll a Handling roll. Remove dice according to difficulty of the turn.
    1. You succeed (get more "inner" than "outer" dice).
    - you stay in your lane. Nothing bad happens.
    2. You fail or have no dice (but you spent your action for Handling)
    - you move towards outer lane (by 1, 2 or 3 lanes, depending on difficulty).
    - if you hit the edge, beyond the last lane (virtual lane 7), you start skidding => go below.
    So inner lanes give you space to fail, outer ones not so much.

Option B: You decide to plow through it and start skidding.
    1. check your speed after turn, move towards the edge for each section you should travel - low speeds are your friend here. If you came from option A, you already hit the edge, so no action necessary.
    2. RAM the edge of the road if you wish to/can (in this case the outmost lane is your target lane). If you succeed, you take no damage and stay in outmost lane.
    3. If you failed - take damage as per failed RAM roll (1+ unlucky dice; minimum 1) and roll a d6 to see where you ended).
    4. Decrease current speed to 0.
    5. Roll armor to protect against damage from hitting the edge: damage is your speed after turn. Hope to survive.

Of course, that is assuming the edge is a building or barrier. If there's a cliff, you just take a deep fall.

So the idea was: you can plow through if you are lucky or prepared. And if you roll handling, you are safe when in lanes 1-3 or if you have high handling. When in inner lanes, you actually have harder time keeping in the same lane, but with good handling, you will be able to go full speed in the mid lanes through easy or medium and enjoy safe ride.

And in the outmost lane - your "unlucky dice" count as the bad result. So it's still possible to fail - and if you run out of dice due to difficulty, you automatically hit the edge.

But being a non-native speaker, I have hard time explaining it in the rules, so I will appreciate any help.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    Unlucky dice are mentioned a couple times, but it looks like the only way to gain them is by exceeding top speed. Is this right? Do they ever go away?
    Welp, unlucky dice = dice that roll your unlucky number. In case of redlining you only check for unlucky numbers.

But whenever you roll anything, you should count the amount of unlucky dice. And then decrease your reliability by the same amount.
    If your target number is the unlucky dice, you move it around: the progression should be (unlucky number, 1, 6). So if your unlucky number is 1 and your target number is (incidentally) 1, your unlucky number for the roll is 6.

When your realiability goes to 0 (or the meter for it fills, depending on how you track it), something bad happens. I, your BRO, will randomly roll what happened, depending on the components in play.

So maybe your brakes get stuck (and you decrease your speed by 2 each round) or your accelerator goes wonky (and you accelerate at random from -2 to +2 each round), or your guns malfunction (and you have to spend a round trying to unjam them) or your engine blows up.

There are different failure modes for each component and a 3d6 to evaluate the severity (to simulate bell curve - most stuff will not be too severe, some may be even beneficial). Worst cases: some of your components are irreversibly damaged (e.g. your engine blows - if it's robust enough, it will survive, but if not, you are out of race) or you have to stop and leave the car to fix it (losing few rounds).

I think I omitted the information about unlucky number in the rules. Welp, it's good to have proofreaders like you! Thank you!

So, how are the others doing? Any luck with car generation?

We now have our first racer & car cleared for start! Yesterday I received and checked our first racer - outside GitP. Elvira with her car, Death Blossom, will be starting from lane 5.
    Last edited by lacco36; 2020-07-22 at 05:30 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [Finding Players] Postapocalyptic Cannonbal Run Across Europe - Brűtâl Racing

A couple of things call for multiplication. How are fractions supposed to be handled? Normal rounding, round down, other?

When you take damage to car attributes, does handling and braking take damage as a whole, or can you take points off categories like Wet Braking or Offroad Handling? You could safely soak a ton of damage this way.

I was waiting for the car builder, but I have a sheet. I reserve the right to change it with rules revisions.
    Show

Driver’s Name: Rick R. Mortis
    Driver’s Type: Gunner
    Traits:
    -Re-roll gunnery
    Unlucky Number: 5

$craps: 3
    Car Name: Meat Wagon
    Top Speed: 9
    Max Speed: 14
    Acceleration: 2d6

Handling 6 4 3 3
    Braking 3 1 0 0

Structure
    [] [] [] [] [] []

Reliability
    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Armor
    Ballistic 2
    Impact 2

Guns

BoomBang Mortar 1d3+3 3 2d4 Impact -
    Gun 2
    Gun 3
    Gun 4

RAM: 2

Consumption: 13 (Diesel)
    Base Fuel Cost (per tank): 3.25 $craps

Other equipment:

• Fuel Tank (extended)
    • Snow Plow

Trunk (free space): 4 spaces

Show

Chassis: Vista Cruiser
    Engine: Single Mersault
    Consumption = 13L/100km
    Gearbox: Junk'r'me 6-speed manual
    Suspension: Barkenroe’s Special, Normal
    Tires: Pirogi, Road
    Armor: Reinforced Micro & Soft
    Weapons
    1x BoomBang Mortar
    Extras
    Fuel tank (extended)
    Snow plow

I just noticed armor's listed twice on the detail sheet
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2020-07-23 at 10:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Default Re: [Finding Players] Postapocalyptic Cannonbal Run Across Europe - Brűtâl Racing

Cost for the gearbox type and manufacturer are multiplied right? In the example you have, a 4-speed from Swilly Pete is only 4 where as it should actually be 12.(4*3=12) As far as car goes, I've got two ideas- one being based on the Tour Guide of the Underworld and the other is in the vein of Initial D.
    Last edited by QuadraticGish; 2020-07-22 at 10:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

A couple of things call for multiplication. How are fractions supposed to be handled? Normal rounding, round down, other?
    If not stated otherwise, normal rounding (oftentimes also rounding down, but that should be stated). If you find a spot where there's no information, let me know. I'll add it into the rules.

When you take damage to car attributes, does handling and braking take damage as a whole, or can you take points off categories like Wet Braking or Offroad Handling? You could safely soak a ton of damage this way.
    For handling and braking, you decrease the base stat = it impacts all the categories.

So you get -1 to each column.

I was waiting for the car builder, but I have a sheet. I reserve the right to change it with rules revisions.
    Understandable.

I am waiting to get all the possible feedback on car design and then will do a big update & release also the car builder xls.

Comments below:

Show

Traits:
    -Re-roll gunnery
    Unlucky Number: Please select a number. You can postpone this decision until first race, but you need to set it.

Top Speed: 9 check actual power; single Mersault will give it around 40% power; which will greatly reduce the speed and acceleration; according to my calculations, you'll end up with speed of 4 (5 max) and acceleration 1, which is insufficient. Consider changing to doubled mersault: there is no additional weight (I considered switching the additional weight to actual space), you get to 89% of actual power with speed of 12/16 and 3d6 acceleration. It will cost 77 in total, leave you with space 2.

Handling 6 5 5 4
    Braking 3 2 2 1

Structure
    [] [] [] [] [] []

Reliability
    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Armor
    Ballistic 2
    Impact 2

Guns

Gun 2
    Gun 3
    Gun 4

Consumption: 3 (Diesel) Ok, my fault: the base consumption is not DHP, but total engine power (DHPx3), modified by fuel & actual engine power. Due to lower actual power your consumption easily reaches something around 30 l/100km. You need a bigger engine.
    Base Fuel Cost (per tank): .75 $craps 2 $craps

Other equipment:

• Fuel Tank (extended)
    • Snow Plow

Extended tank (2) + Snow Plow (1) + BB Mortar (4) = 7; 3 spaces left

Show

Consumption = 3L/100km
    Weapons
    1x BoomBang Mortar
    Extras
    Fuel tank (extended)
    Snow plow

I just noticed armor's listed twice on the detail sheet[/QUOTE]

Comments: overall nice, a bit under-weaponed and the speed/acceleration decrease from too weak engine for the weight makes it extremely slow. Suggestion: move to doubled mersault engine, your budget should hold it.

I haven't gone through it with my finest comb, but will do so in next 24 hours. Will also try to prepare the car design sheet over the weekend and release the updated info.

BTW, did the explanation for turns help? Or do you still have objections?

Cost for the gearbox type and manufacturer are multiplied right? In the example you have, a 4-speed from Swilly Pete is only 4 where as it should actually be 12.(4*3=12) As far as car goes, I've got two ideas- one being based on the Tour Guide of the Underworld and the other is in the vein of Initial D.
    You are correct, the example is wrong.

No idea for Tour Guide of the Underworld, but allow me to offer you this beauty:

Spoiler: Toyota AE86 Chassis
    Show

Some drunk street racer totalled it. Chassis can be repaired & you get the original paint job (...save for the restored parts).
    4 wheels
    Structure 2
    Space 5
    Weight 2
    Cost 15

Last edited by lacco36; 2020-07-23 at 04:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Default Re: [Drivers Wanted!] Postapocalyptic Cannonbal Run Across Europe - Brűtâl Racing

Is there any reason to take a 6-speed automatic over a 5-speed manual? The 6-speed auto is outright superior to the 5-manual while costing the same. Here's my in progress sheet by the way.

Spoiler: '86
    Show

Driver's Name:
    Driver's Type: Badass
    Traits: When rolling Handling, may reroll 1 failed die.
    Unlucky Number:3

Weight: 12.5
    $craps: 75
    Car Name:
    Top Speed: 11

Handling 6 6 5 5
    Braking

Structure
    [] [] {} {} {}

Reliability
    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Armor
    Ballistic 4
    Impact 3

Guns

Reventant MG Turret
    Reventant MG Turret
    Reventant MG Turret
    Gun 4

RAM:

Consumption:
    Base Fuel Cost (per tank):

Spoiler: Detailed Car Info
    Show

Chassis: AE86 -15
    Engine: Standard Mercyless-Bends -7
    Consumption =
    DHP: 18
    Gearbox: Badman works, 5-speed automatic -16
    Suspension: Barkenroe’s Special, Standard -6
    Tires: Tombstone, Road -4.5
    Armor: Milspec Composites, Reinforced -12
    Weapons

Other equipment:
    Fuel Tank (basic) -5
    Gonzo's Fuel Filter -5

Trunk (free space): ?

Spoiler: OrderSheet
    Show
    Driver’s Name:
    Unlucky Number:
    CurrentSpeed:
    Order: ???

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Show

Traits:
    -Re-roll gunnery
    Unlucky Number: Please select a number. You can postpone this decision until first race, but you need to set it.

Top Speed: 9 check actual power; single Mersault will give it around 40% power; which will greatly reduce the speed and acceleration; according to my calculations, you'll end up with speed of 4 (5 max) and acceleration 1, which is insufficient. Consider changing to doubled mersault: there is no additional weight (I considered switching the additional weight to actual space), you get to 89% of actual power with speed of 12/16 and 3d6 acceleration. It will cost 77 in total, leave you with space 2.

Handling 6 5 5 4
    Braking 3 2 2 1

Structure
    [] [] [] [] [] []

Reliability
    [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Armor
    Ballistic 2
    Impact 2

Guns

Gun 2
    Gun 3
    Gun 4

Consumption: 3 (Diesel) Ok, my fault: the base consumption is not DHP, but total engine power (DHPx3), modified by fuel & actual engine power. Due to lower actual power your consumption easily reaches something around 30 l/100km. You need a bigger engine.
    Base Fuel Cost (per tank): .75 $craps 2 $craps

Other equipment:

• Fuel Tank (extended)
    • Snow Plow

Extended tank (2) + Snow Plow (1) + BB Mortar (4) = 7; 3 spaces left

Show

Consumption = 3L/100km
    Weapons
    1x BoomBang Mortar
    Extras
    Fuel tank (extended)
    Snow plow

I just noticed armor's listed twice on the detail sheet
    Comments: overall nice, a bit under-weaponed and the speed/acceleration decrease from too weak engine for the weight makes it extremely slow. Suggestion: move to doubled mersault engine, your budget should hold it.
    My bad on fuel. I went with the first thing I could think of the combination of "engine" and "power". I see where I went wrong now, but you may want to make it more explicit it's based on engine power.

Also, with that being the case, is there any point to DHP at all? As far as I can tell, if you multiply all DHP values by 3 and just have a single engine power stat, you lose literally nothing except an extra step of math in the building.

But I don't see where you're getting the underpowered stuff from. Merrsault generates 5 DHP=15 EP. 5 chassis + 3 engine + 1 suspension +1 tires + 2 armor=12 weight. I'm actually under weight, but not by enough to do anything beneficial.

And the mortar's 3 space, not 4.

As for armament, my original design had two mortars. I figured that would get me kamikazed by vengeful ghost riders, so I re-specced for more speed and survivibility.

BTW, did the explanation for turns help? Or do you still have objections?
    It did. I kind of thought that was how it worked, but I wanted to be sure.

Is there any reason to take a 6-speed automatic over a 5-speed manual? The 6-speed auto is outright superior to the 5-manual while costing the same. Here's my in progress sheet by the way.
    You're right, there isn't. Somehow I missed that. Unless you really really want to drive a stick.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2020-07-23 at 09:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

@QuadraticGish: Looked at your work so far. Thinking of improving the Badass a bit (will give you 1 die to roll even if modifiers remove all dice; mainly for turns).

One point that is not working well is the acceleration: according to my breakdown you have 0 dice (engine bonus is countered by diesel engine; your gearbox choices give you no bonus).

I'll have to look at the numbers for acceleration - maybe I should bump the types by +1 so we don't end with too many zeroes.

I also applaud your choice of weaponry.

My bad on fuel. I went with the first thing I could think of the combination of "engine" and "power". I see where I went wrong now, but you may want to make it more explicit it's based on engine power.
    I will do so in the next update.

Also, with that being the case, is there any point to DHP at all? As far as I can tell, if you multiply all DHP values by 3 and just have a single engine power stat, you lose literally nothing except an extra step of math in the building.
    It's also there for calculating top speed/max speed for me. Default top speed was DHP x 1.5, top speed DHP x2. So we can either lose DHP and just go with engine power stat and fixed speeds, or go the opposite way: just give DHP and let players calculate speed & power.

Thoughts? Preferences?

I'm willing to go any way on this.

But I don't see where you're getting the underpowered stuff from. Merrsault generates 5 DHP=15 EP. 5 chassis + 3 engine + 1 suspension +1 tires + 2 armor=12 weight. I'm actually under weight, but not by enough to do anything beneficial.
    Sorry for that: the sheet I use - and update with each change we find here - had a variable I used for testing the actual power (additional weight). I forgot I set it to 5 just to see what happens and it mangled my calculations. After a re-check, you are correct. So ignore my musings on power there

And the mortar's 3 space, not 4.

As for armament, my original design had two mortars. I figured that would get me kamikazed by vengeful ghost riders, so I re-specced for more speed and survivibility.
    Welp, I'm a big fan of those simplest MGs - you get 4 of them and you roll 4 dice, giving you a fair shot at causing at least some damage.

Also: one action for firing every gun or any gun. Makes loading up on firepower a good idea - my thoughts are that this being a postapocalyptic race, you'd glue, duct tape or weld any gun you could find just to be sure and I would like players to roll a lot of guns dice

So do not worry about using 2 mortars. It's fine. Well, it's not, but it will be fun.

It did. I kind of thought that was how it worked, but I wanted to be sure.
    To be honest: when I first saw your comments I panicked, thinking I may have to rework the whole turns system

Wouldn't want that. All my other ideas were too complicated.

You're right, there isn't. Somehow I missed that. Unless you really really want to drive a stick.
    Again, thank you for catching that. I was thinking of giving automatics & manuals different reliabilities, as the former have electronic components while the latter are mechanics only. Reliability of electronics in post-apocalyptic environment would be definitely lower than pure mechanics - my view. What do you two think?

My other ideas are: fixing the prices. Adding +1 acceleration to 5-speed manual. Ideas?

26. - Top - End - #26

@QuadraticGish: Looked at your work so far. Thinking of improving the Badass a bit (will give you 1 die to roll even if modifiers remove all dice; mainly for turns).

One point that is not working well is the acceleration: according to my breakdown you have 0 dice (engine bonus is countered by diesel engine; your gearbox choices give you no bonus).

I'll have to look at the numbers for acceleration - maybe I should bump the types by +1 so we don't end with too many zeroes.

I also applaud your choice of weaponry.
    Huh, you're right on the acceleration. I'll see if I can fix that.

It's also there for calculating top speed/max speed for me. Default top speed was DHP x 1.5, top speed DHP x2. So we can either lose DHP and just go with engine power stat and fixed speeds, or go the opposite way: just give DHP and let players calculate speed & power.

Thoughts? Preferences?

I'm leaning towards giving out DHP.

Again, thank you for catching that. I was thinking of giving automatics & manuals different reliabilities, as the former have electronic components while the latter are mechanics only. Reliability of electronics in post-apocalyptic environment would be definitely lower than pure mechanics - my view. What do you two think?

My other ideas are: fixing the prices. Adding +1 acceleration to 5-speed manual. Ideas?
    If you want to go for some pure realism, I'd probably go for price fixing. Otherwise considering the tone, I think acceleration would work well. By the way, did you mean for it to be named the 'Reventant MG Turret' instead of 'Revenant MG Turret'?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I thought about that, but went eh. You get a free +1 by using engine fuel (I assume that's supposed to be gasoline, because technically they are all engine fuels. You have to do a bit of work if you want the economy and reliability of diesel. Which seems fine.

Thoughts? Preferences?

It's be more work, but if you could get it going, making top speed dependent on power/weight would be fantastic. It would give smaller lighter bodies a reason to exist in late game, as you could crank them up to insane speeds. Right now, a bus and a VW with the same power plant both hit the same speed, assuming they have enough engine power. So why wouldn't you take the bus if you could afford it?

In order to keep speeds from getting out of hand, you'll probably need some kind of quadratic or geometric formula. And I can't think of one right now.

Or, if you're math-phobic but want to keep speeds in hand, assign a top speed to gearboxes, because no matter how many horses you have, they're useless if you can't get them to the wheels. And it helps balance gearboxes-manuals are more reliable and efficient, but for the same cost, an auto will have a higher top speed because more gears.

Acceleration can also be based on power/weight, modified by the tranny and maybe some engines.

Welp, I'm a big fan of those simplest MGs - you get 4 of them and you roll 4 dice, giving you a fair shot at causing at least some damage.
    Also: one action for firing every gun or any gun. Makes loading up on firepower a good idea - my thoughts are that this being a postapocalyptic race, you'd glue, duct tape or weld any gun you could find just to be sure and I would like players to roll a lot of guns dice

So do not worry about using 2 mortars. It's fine. Well, it's not, but it will be fun.
    See, I reached the conclusion MGs suck. For starters, you have to line up the guy, which means futzing around with handling until you get in the same lane as the guy you want to shoot. Then you have to wait a turn, assuming he doesn't duck into another lane on you, to start shooting, where you have a straight 1/6 chance of hitting.

Mortars can hit 5 out of the 6 lanes assuming you're in the middle of the road, so you rarely have to roll handling to get him in your sights. And you hit 33% of the time, so you see results much faster.

The raw numbers test, 3 spaces of MGs in any combination average 1 damage/round.

A single mortar averages 1.66 damage/round. Even before you consider the lack of need to get in your target's lane and the possibility of nuking half the field, it's not a contest

See above.
    Last edited by RandomLunatic; 2020-07-24 at 11:07 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for the silence: I left my laptop at home for the weekend trip and I dislike posting on phone. Will give heads-up if that happens during game.

On to your questions/comments!

Huh, you're right on the acceleration. I'll see if I can fix that.
    Gasoline (erroneously named "engine fuel") or jet fuel actually easily fix it.

I'm leaning towards giving out DHP.
    Me too. Giving out DHP + relatively simple formulas for calculating other stuff.

If you want to go for some pure realism, I'd probably go for price fixing. Otherwise considering the tone, I think acceleration would work well. By the way, did you mean for it to be named the 'Reventant MG Turret' instead of 'Revenant MG Turret'?
    Well, did not aim for realism actually, more for fun gameplay with enough choices to satisfy the playgrounders

Supposed to be Revenant, but I messed it up. May as well keep it.

I thought about that, but went eh. You get a free +1 by using engine fuel (I assume that's supposed to be gasoline, because technically they are all engine fuels. You have to do a bit of work if you want the economy and reliability of diesel. Which seems fine.
    You're correct, gasoline is the correct term. That will get fixed.

And I'll keep it the way it is - you are right. If someone wants to actually have an efficient car, it will cost.

It's be more work, but if you could get it going, making top speed dependent on power/weight would be fantastic. It would give smaller lighter bodies a reason to exist in late game, as you could crank them up to insane speeds. Right now, a bus and a VW with the same power plant both hit the same speed, assuming they have enough engine power. So why wouldn't you take the bus if you could afford it?

In order to keep speeds from getting out of hand, you'll probably need some kind of quadratic or geometric formula. And I can't think of one right now.

Or, if you're math-phobic but want to keep speeds in hand, assign a top speed to gearboxes, because no matter how many horses you have, they're useless if you can't get them to the wheels. And it helps balance gearboxes-manuals are more reliable and efficient, but for the same cost, an auto will have a higher top speed because more gears.

Acceleration can also be based on power/weight, modified by the tranny and maybe some engines.
    That was the original idea - when you take a bus with the same engine as the guy who has a VW, the actual power will make a difference. I've taken a look at how various combinations work with each other and I see you are correct: while at the middle level it balances out (e.g. with Toymotor engines - using the same engine will make a difference between a bus and the bug in top speed), once you go for the higher-power engines, the difference is sadly lost.

I also can't think of an formula right now, but will mix & match and will see what comes out. I'm not a math-phobe, but I prefer simpler calculations for games (I bought some pdfs with Car Wars thinking of using the ruleset, but it was too tight for me) - don't want to make the game harder than my actual work math-wise.

There are several relatively simple possibilities which I see:
    Adding more weight to larger cars, making larger engines more costly. But I don't think I'll be doing that right now - I'd like to give it a go with the corrected ruleset which you all chipped in. If the game itself is fun, I will definitely work on second edition to run it here again.

Also: don't want to slow down the recruiting anymore. If you know any people who could be interested in some mindless fun

The bus & bug speed issue will have to wait. And yes, if we take into account starting funds, the only way how to afford a bus you can drive, has some firepower and does not wreck at first moment is - getting Merc type guy.

That said, nothing stops you from getting a supercharged prison bus (or - if anyone here has some ideas for fun postapocalyptic race cars, such as wrecking ball crane, just let me know! I'll add them easily) during race and having your fun.

See, I reached the conclusion MGs suck. For starters, you have to line up the guy, which means futzing around with handling until you get in the same lane as the guy you want to shoot. Then you have to wait a turn, assuming he doesn't duck into another lane on you, to start shooting, where you have a straight 1/6 chance of hitting.

Mortars can hit 5 out of the 6 lanes assuming you're in the middle of the road, so you rarely have to roll handling to get him in your sights. And you hit 33% of the time, so you see results much faster.
    One point with mortars: they work with the same ruleset as machine guns (you need to shoot ahead, only those that hit your lane hit the guy), but the accuracy is improved because you roll only 1d3 instead of 1d6, which means 1 in 3 versus 1 in 6.

The big difference is AOE: mortars may hit several more cars (including yours) if they are close enough.

The raw numbers test, 3 spaces of MGs in any combination average 1 damage/round.

A single mortar averages 1.66 damage/round. Even before you consider the lack of need to get in your target's lane and the possibility of nuking half the field, it's not a contest

See above.
    The need to be in target's lane is still there - you can get rid of it by using a gunner & gunner's seat (they can fire into any lane, but again: costly).

BUT - what I want to say is you do you! It's you car and I'm just the guy who will have his fun narrating the chaos that starts once you start firing that mortar!

That said!

I'd like to start this thing with at least 4 players, ideally more. If you know someone who would have fun looking at the car wreck that occurs - let me know!

ATTENTION ALL DRIVERS!

Get your machines ready! Unless we get some new blood, the first race starts on Friday 31st! I will be unavailable from 3rd to 4th August, but we'll see how that goes - we may postpone the start due to that.

I will need some car icons - just choose a colour, or send me a link to image I can use. Top-downs are fine.

ALSO: the xls & rule fix will be delayed by a day, should be up tomorrow. Don't expect anything fancy.

LONDON race coming up!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: [Drivers Wanted!] Postapocalyptic Cannonbal Run Across Europe - Brűtâl Racing

Funny, I was thinking of Car Wars too when I suggested it.

If you could find a way to make this into a counter, that'd be great. If not, simple black will do.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Something like this?

Spoiler: Meat Wagon
    Show
    [/IMG]

Okay, drivers!

The promised XLS is here!

Updated ruleset & car design document in opening post, not too many changes yet. You may comment freely.
    Last edited by lacco36; 2020-07-29 at 03:19 AM.