Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Wildemount: Vengeful Tides [5e]

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock
    AC: 15 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Confronted with a goblin-sized person offering it something, Grey can only smile. The row of pointed, yellowing teeth that splits its head seems to convey predatory intent more than friendliness, but when it speaks, it is with a marked attempt to soften its usual guttural undertone.

"I am Grey, Nyazan Boudera. In color and in name. Your offering is appreciated, and perhaps one day I shall repay it."

Grey looks Nyazan meaningfully in the eye as it speaks, accompanying the words with a semi-respectful tilt of its head. Its tail snakes forward and curls around the proffered necklace, twisting to stow it in the backpack tied around its torso before returning to its normal position.

Then its gaze shifts to the tortle. "Friend of Nyazan Boudera. May I ask what are you called?"
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-08-31 at 12:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Khapya's grin grew from ear to ear, revealing a remarkable set of pearly white fangs. She roared with joy as she hugged Faruq Tan'adu back.
    "Faruk!" She bellowed. "Aha! I'm afraid you are wrong, my friend - there is no future about it! I wrestled down Ogrok the Fell-handed like a disobedient dog and gained the snapdragon crown!"
    She pushed back the older man so she could look down at his face, clasping him on the shoulders as she beamed down.
    "I am ashamed you have not heard - clearly the name of Indomitable Khapya is not famous enough! Of course I will be part of your shark-contest!"

The snapdragon crown was the wreath given to champions; snapdragons had long symbolised strength, and much like the championship, most only lasted for a single year... there were other badges and marks of honour, of course; but the snapdragon crown was perhaps the most prized of all, for it was placed upon the head of the victor in the ring itself before adrenline could cease to thrum through their veins.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn smiles and nods Greetings, Faruq. A friend of Khapya is a friend to us all. I hope these shark hunting competitions won't put our champion at risk of losing any fingers. She glances to the children interacting with Grey and Kebri briefly, double taking when she sees Grey smiles. They'll need to work on that
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooduls & Velkaria
    Show
    With the tortle leading the way, Velkaria and Ooduls once again cross the bridge to Flora Isle, and travel down the island's gentle slope to the rear entrance of the Riptide Inn. This entrance opens up on a small desk, with hallways leading to rooms on either side. Stairs behind the desk lead down to the tavern that opens outwards on the beach, and upwards to the higher floors.

The desk is currently manned by a halfling in simple but elegant dress. As patrons pass her by, she greets each one by name, checking in with them before sending them on her way. When she sees Ooduls, her face breaks into a smile and she waves him over.

“Ooduls, so good to see you! What are you doing in port? I didn’t expect to see you for another few weeks or so. And I see you’ve brought a friend! Welcome, madam, to the Riptide Inn and Tavern. My name is Lewyn Hairtussle, I am the proprietor here and the person to talk to if you have any issues or questions! Please enjoy your stay.” She turns back to Ooduls to await his response.

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    "Faruk!" She bellowed. "Aha! I'm afraid you are wrong, my friend - there is no future about it! I wrestled down Ogrok the Fell-handed like a disobedient dog and gained the snapdragon crown!"
    She pushed back the older man so she could look down at his face, clasping him on the shoulders as she beamed down.
    "I am ashamed you have not heard - clearly the name of Indomitable Khapya is not famous enough! Of course I will be part of your shark-contest!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Ashwyn smiles and nods Greetings, Faruq. A friend of Khapya is a friend to us all. I hope these shark hunting competitions won't put our champion at risk of losing any fingers.
    Faruq laughs with happiness to see Khapya's unadulterated enthusiasm again. "Ahh, it's such a blessing to see you again! Congratulations on your accomplishments, I'm sure Ogrok didn't stand a chance." Responding to Ashwyn, he says, "For our amateurs, we don't make things too difficult- it's more of a swimming challenge than anything else. A little something to warm the crowd up!" He makes a waving motion with his hands, pantomiming people rising to their feet with excitement.

"Listen, I have some more business to take care of. Come to the southern beach of Flora Isle around ten in the morning, and we'll see if we can't win you another championship, eh?" He gives Khapya a wink and a friendly thwack on the shoulder that would be strong enough to knock most people to their knees, but to her is just a friendly greeting. With a farewell, he shifts back to his stand to continue talking to the people who have been lining up.

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Kebri dons the necklace. "I am Kebri Tor. I... I am glad for your gift." She blinks her eyes a bit and seems quite genuinely moved by seeing the kids. She drops to a knee, closer to their level. "You are kind and brave. Thank you. I don't have much in the way of pretty things to give in return..." She thinks for a moment, and then smiles. "Here -" and summons a flurry of pink cherry-blossom petals to swirl in the air around them for a moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    "I am Grey, Nyazan Boudera. In color and in name. Your offering is appreciated, and perhaps one day I shall repay it."

Grey looks Nyazan meaningfully in the eye as it speaks, accompanying the words with a semi-respectful tilt of its head. Its tail snakes forward and curls around the proffered necklace, twisting to stow it in the backpack tied around its torso before returning to its normal position.

Then its gaze shifts to the tortle. "Friend of Nyazan Boudera. May I ask what are you called?"
    Nyazan is struck with wonder and excitement as the cherry blossom petals swirl around her. She reaches up to grab some with her hands and tail. She doesn't quite have the coordination to do so, but is greatly enjoying herself anyway. As Grey addresses her, she listens attentively, then nods vigorously before running away to stand behind her friend again.

The tortle watches the cherry blossoms swirl, and reaches out a claw to snag a single one out of midair, inspecting it closely before releasing it to flow away with the breeze. He faces Kebri and Grey both to say, "My name is Triton, nice to meet you both!" He gives a gentle bow.
    Kelia steps forward and pats Triton on the shoulder, crouching next to him as he does so. "Thank you for taking care of Nya today." Turning to face the group, he says, "Triton here helps take care of several of the younger kids when their parents are working, or otherwise, ah, indisposed." With a wave to the group, he says, "You've met Kebri and Grey, over here we have the Indomitable Khapya and Ashwyn Holm. Now, make sure you thank them for their time, and make sure Nya has a safe place to stay tonight."

Triton gives a confident nod, and he takes Nya's hand. "Thank you all for your time! Enjoy your stay, and I'm sure we'll see you again soon." Once everyone has shared their goodbyes, they walk over to join the crowd of children who had been wandering around the market, now clamoring around the grill being run by the elf and dwarf.
    Kelia straightens his back as they walk away. "Thank you for your patience with them. As with all children, they love meeting new people, but many of the guests and visitors don't seem to have much patience for them." With a clap of his hands, he says, "Well, we have tarried long enough- let me take you to the Riptide Inn and Tavern!"
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-07-30 at 06:23 AM.
    My avatar is by Kari Avalon, aka @evatrice on twitter!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

Grey watches the children go, thinking that Triton reminds it a little of High Priest Vladkraaz. It banishes the thought before it can get wistful about the past.

As the group is led to the Riptide, Grey ponders a bit of the other conversation it overheard while speaking to the children. It looks quizzically up at the others.

"What is a shark?" it asks.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-08-02 at 01:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Khapya gave an enthusiastic wave goodbye as Farul headed back to his stall.
    "A shark? Well, you know a fish, right? Imagine a big one of those, sleek and deadly! A mouth full of a whole load of teeth almost as sharp as mine, haha!"
    She bounced a little in anticipation.
    "They should be fun! It's been a while since I swam last!"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

The only fish Grey has ever seen are the small varieties found in forest streams, and its mind fills with completely inaccurate images of 'sharks'.

It absent-mindedly mimes biting the air while it walks, trying to imagine how a 'shark' feeds with large sharp teeth like Khapya's crammed into those tiny mouths.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The crocodile-woman laughed as Grey bit at the air.
    "Ahaha! Yes, like that!"
    She ruffled his head with an enormous hand.
    "Once a giant shark swam into the Damali harbour, as large as any of the ships! They were afraid to try to slay it, in case it damaged the ships there - eventually they lured it back out to sea with an offering of a dozen cows dropped off a boat outside the Port. It was big enough to eat even me! You, my little friend, it wouldn't even need to chew!"

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Velkaria
    Show

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)
    AC: 17 (19 with shield) HP: 9/9
    PP: 16 PIv: 9 PIs: 16

Ooduls replies with a big smile, "Well hello Lewyn. So good to see you again. You're looking well."

"Yes, the storms damaged our ship the Wavechaser, so we're here for repairs. Fortunately, you've scheduled an annual festival for us!"

"Please meet Velkaria. She has the voice of an angel and might be available to serenade us."

"And right now, we would love to break our fast at your lovely establishment."

OOC: Sorry, missed this post until right now.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10 PIv: 9 PIs: 10

"A delight to make your acquaintance. My friend Ooduls' compliment aside, my true talent is as an organist. I have my own means of playing wherever I go and I was wondering if I might perform is the festival? It seems the gods wish it to be so given they brought me here right in time, despite all mortal plans for us to be elsewhere." she says with a smile.

"I could certainly eat." she adds to Oodul's bringing up the subject.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Ooduls replies with a big smile, "Well hello Lewyn. So good to see you again. You're looking well."

"Yes, the storms damaged our ship the Wavechaser, so we're here for repairs. Fortunately, you've scheduled an annual festival for us!"

"Please meet Velkaria. She has the voice of an angel and might be available to serenade us."

"And right now, we would love to break our fast at your lovely establishment."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    "A delight to make your acquaintance. My friend Ooduls' compliment aside, my true talent is as an organist. I have my own means of playing wherever I go and I was wondering if I might perform is the festival? It seems the gods wish it to be so given they brought me here right in time, despite all mortal plans for us to be elsewhere." she says with a smile.

"I could certainly eat." she adds to Oodul's bringing up the subject.
    Lewyn chuckles at Ooduls' words. "Aye, we're just glad you made it in time for the celebrations. We would have hated to begin the party without you." She turns to Velkaria, making eye contact as she reaches a hand out in a polite greeting. "Velkaria, it's wonderful to meet you. If this is your first time in Palma Flora, I hope you enjoy your stay! Although you may not have planned your visit, you have come at the perfect time to see everything we have to offer. We may have room for a performance... Inana!" Here she calls down the stairway behind her, a call that is soon answered in the form of a young human woman with braided black hair trotting up the stairs.

When she arrives, Lewyn asks, "Inana, are there any openings in the music schedule for the day?" The woman replies quietly, and although she is subtle, you can hear her say "The fiddler who was going to start the dinner set has become indisposed. We have some room there, although I was about to go see if Yala from the north side of town could fill in." Lewyn thinks for a moment, and then turns back, "It seems that we have a place for you in our tavern this afternoon. If it's alright, you could perform here tonight and then we'll see if we can find a spot for you in the festival."

"In the meantime, you're looking to break your fast, and this is the place to be. It's good to see you again, Ooduls. I know Leydo will be glad of your company, and Suza misses you as well, although she'd be reluctant to admit it," Lewyn says with a wink.

"Inana, would you guide our guests to the tavern and give Velkaria here some more information about where she'll be performing?" Inana nods and smiles, saying "Right this way." She leads you downstairs into the tavern. Beyond a few populated clusters of tables, the seating opens onto a patio, and from there you are graced with a view of the infinite majesty of the Lucidian Ocean, each wavecap sparkling and winking as it rushes towards you. Inana leads you a table just inside the shade of the building, next to a small stage where a elderly elf is playing a relaxing tune on a hurdy-gurdy. His music mingles gently with the sounds of waves and people talking and relaxing in the sandy stretch before you.

Once you are both sitting comfortably, she introduces herself formally. "My name is Inana, and I'm in charge of organizing performances for the tavern and festival. Velkaria, is it? You'll be playing here this afternoon. Your set will be an hour long, starting around four, if that works for you. Can I ask what instrument you'll be playing?" Once she learns a little more about your act, she lets you both know that today's lunch special is a cooled soup made from pounded yams and palm fruit.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    At this point in the day, it's around noon. You're welcome to spend the time until Velkaria's performance at the tavern, watching/hobnobbing with the nobles, or you can wander around town a little more.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

Ooduls flushes at a Suza's name and replies with a big smile, "Well thank you Lewyn. You're as lovely as always."

"Good to meet you Inana."
    The tortle politely listens and chit chats while breaking his fast.

Once Velkaria is well-introduced and comfortable, Ooduls will excuse himself to go check on his friend Suza.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooduls
    Show
    Suza lives in a small building on the western beach of Flora Isle. Although many of the surrounding huts have bamboo or rattan floors, hers is made of soft sand, perfect for nestling into. As you trudge through the palm trees, the wind hits them with a sound that is almost reminiscent of a laugh that could be far off rolling thunder. Looking to your right, the sunlight seems to flash off the eye of the statue of the Storm Lord, almost as if he is winking at you.

Suza’s home has several streamers attached to the roof, flowing in the wind. Coming around the side, you see a few wind chimes as well, tinkling in the breeze. The door opens at your knock, and Suza welcomes you in. She’s already created a cozy nook in the sand for you both to relax.
    Show
    Unless you want to chat with Suza beforehand, we’ll put a little fade to black here... let me know if that’s okay. After knocking shells, she invites you to dinner at the Riptide Tavern. (If Ooduls isn't interested in her continued company, I'll edit her out of the post below *hand wave*)

Show
    After you work out the details of your performance with Inana, and enjoy a cooling meal with Ooduls, your tortle companion excuses himself and leaves you on your own. However, it’s not long before you find yourself being approached by a human with reddish sandy skin. He is wearing colorful robes and bearing a brooch with a seal representing House Tansu, which you recognize as a minor noble family from Nicodranas.

“Is that Velkaria Lapidus, in the flesh?” he asks with a jovial tone. “Pardon my abrupt interruption- my name is Daïd Tansu. We attended many soirées concurrently, although I never had the chance to introduce myself. More importantly, I was prosperous enough to be present for a few of your practices in the Dawnfather’s Cathedral. How lucky it is that I should meet you here!”

Daïd seems both friendly and eager to make your acquaintance. From what you can remember of the Tansu house, they don't have a lot of influence, but they do have access to several lucrative mines amongst the foothills of the Cyrios Mountains.

Show
    The rest of the group as described below is meeting a few minutes before your performance begins. You're welcome to respond to Daïd in character, or give me a tl;dr of how you would receive his half brash, half charming introduction.

As Khapya and Grey share their experiences, Kelia leads all four of you over a bridge onto the sandy oasis from the world that is Flora Isle. The land slopes gently down in front of you, towards a beach where you can see a few bonfires being brought to life as people play in the surf. Although the sun will be out for a few more hours, it has swung low towards the horizon and the sky to the west is beginning to light up in orange and red.

Spoiler: Map of Flora Isle
    Show

The first thing you approach is another series of stalls that line the path, although these seem much more permanent than those set up in the town square you just left. The people here are selling things of a slightly gaudier nature as well. Beyond these stands a very large statue of a man, standing in a wishing pool that glistens with coinage. Interrupting your line of sight to the horizon are clusters of palm trees and cottages, creating a cozy atmosphere around this central plaza. Off to your left lie a few docks, populated a pair of fishing skiffs and a handsome caravel that looks as if it has seen better days.

Spoiler: Ashwyn & Khapya
    Show
    You both know that the statue in the middle of this island is a representation of the Storm Lord, patron of those who seek success in combat both martial and existential.

Kelia lets you take your time as you view the sights, but leads you to the three-story building that is the most notable part of Flora Isle. Although it is built in a humble architectural style, reflecting the style of the cottages that have been built around town, it is clearly on a different scale from any other building around. Rather than take you through the door that faces you, he walks you around the side to an open air tavern, where the sound of chatter and glasses clinking begins to match the sound of the ocean in the background.

As you come into view of the dining area, Kelia makes eye contact with a young tortle with green skin and a shell that almost glitters like black pearls. He is sitting next to another tortle with a shell of deep burgundy, and across from an elegant grey-skinned tiefling with full, blue hair. He swiftly leads you all to join their table. "Ooduls, how charming it is to see you! I noticed you walking around town earlier, but I was so busy that I hardly had time to greet you. As it stands, the day has not become any less busy for me. Would you be so kind as to ease these new friends of mine into their stay at the inn?"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

Ooduls spends the afternoon celebrating his return to Palma Flora with Suza. He thanks the Stormlord for his storms and the opportunity. He knows he is at the mercy of the divine storms of life.

========================================

"Aye, Kelia. It would be my pleasure. Have a seat, strangers. Share a drink and become strangers no more. These are my friends Suza and Velkaria." He motions to the tortle and then the tiefling, respectively.

"Please introduce yourselves and make merry."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

Straightforward jovial wealthy but not especially influential was just about perfect for a patron for what might or might not be a short but hopefully relaxed first stop of her journey. So Velkaria greets Daïd warmly, flattered/satisfied to have a fan/be known. She returns the favor by making a point of being familiar with his house in a positive way, loudly enough for others in the establishment to hear of course. She then allows him to introduce her to the other esteemed guests.

((Shine Patron get?))

Velkaria lets out a little squeal of delight as she sees Ashwyn and quickly gets up and flings her arms around her for a hug. "Ashwyn! What a lovely surprise! I certainly wouldn't have expected to find you here. And in such..." she finally notices Grey. "interesting company?" she turns back to look Ashwyn in the eyes with a mix of concern/confusion.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-08-02 at 12:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn returns her friend's hug It's good to see you too, Velkaria. I was worried you might've been caught up in that storm with all your wandering about. she gestures to her companions This is Grey, we've just met but they've been nothing but pleasant. They were travelling with Kebri Tor. And you might've seen Indomitable Khapya if you ever went to the Carnivora She nods to Ooduls It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm Ashwyn Holm
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

Grey eyes the chairs curiously, never having sat in one before. After some consideration, it snags one of the chairs by its wooden leg and turns it around, so that its tail can hang comfortably off the seat's rightful front. Shaking the sand from its claws, it clambers up onto the chair, whose backrest is fortunately low enough for Grey to look over it at the rest of the table.

"Interesting to meet you too, Velkaria," Grey says, noting that she, like itself, has grey skin and horns. "And you as well, Ooduls and Suza."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, as introduced, I am the Indomitable Khapya!"
    The gladiator champion gave her best winsome grin - wide and sharp. As she did, she took in her two new acquantiances - a pretty young tiefling and a pair of turtlefolk
    "I earned a few titles in the arena, but Khapya is good enough between friends!"
    She thudded down in a chair, which creaked omniously beneath her weight, but just about held, and leaned forward to rest her elbows on the table in a way that oh-so-coincidentally showed off her muscles. She called to the barmaid cheerfully.
    "How about some ale over here, darling? For me and my friends!"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kebri nods in acknowledgment of her introduction and sits - she is one of the tailless dragonborn, you may have noticed.

She takes in the appearance of her new companions, noting the holy symbol necklace Ooduls has. Kebri's own staff is very evokative of the Wildmother's symbol, with a spiral at the top and bark still on it, for those who know of such things, and the copper dragonborn seems to always be keeping one eye and hand on it even as it leans against the table beside her.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

Velkaria is noticeably surprised when Grey talks, as she'd just assumed it was this Kebri woman's pet monster or some such. "Ah, yes." is all she manages to get out in reply.

But thankfully the introductions shift quickly away and on to someone equally exciting, but in a much more pleasant way. "Yes yes, I've seen more than one of the Indomitable Khapya's matches in the Carnivora! What a treat to meet you face to face."
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-08-02 at 08:15 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

While the group makes merry, you discover that Suza is a local firsher tortle and Ooduls is a prophet of the Stormlord. Ooduls attributes most every random act to the whim of the Stormlord, such as bringing you all together. He is a very affable tortle politely asking each of you to tell your stories.

When it is his story to share, he describes it as particularly common enough one among tortles. Orphaned with his siblings at about one year old on some empty beach in the Menagerie Coast. You discover that tortles mate to reproduce at the very end of their life. Ooduls grew up fending for himself beyond civilization. Last year, he was struck by the divine power of the Stormlord, who called him to a port, and has been sailing as a good luck charm ever since. This is Ooduls second stop here, and he and Suza seem happy about the opportunity.

While Ooduls listens intently to each of your stories, he is particularly interested in Grey. The like he is never seen.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

After your round of introductions, Kelia excuses himself, saying "It was wonderful meeting you all, but I must be on my way. Hope to see you at the festival tomorrow!" He walks into the tavern and up a staircase in the back. As he goes, he has to wend his way around several tables and people who have grabbed chairs at random so they can sit closer to their friends. It seems you came at the perfect time, as the tavern is starting to fill up quickly.

Suza greets the newcomers to the table, saying "Nice to meet you." and giving a soft wave. As you sit with her, she gives each of you a quick glance, before her eye is caught on Kebri's staff in particular. As you sit down and begin to settle, she leans towards you and asks, "Would you happen to be a follower of the Wild Mother?"

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    "How about some ale over here, darling? For me and my friends!"
    As Khapya calls this out, she makes eye contact with a middle aged human woman on the far side of the bar, who yells out "Be with you soon!" You think you see a grimace cross her face as she begins pouring drinks for the table. Within a minute, she is swiftly crossing the open air patio, her wavy-haired mullet bouncing with each step.
    Setting a tray down, she uses her muscular single arm to pass out elegant steins filled with frothy ale. "Here you are dears, a round of drinks to start. Special for the night is the stuffed plantains. You all can call me Marla, is there anything else I can grab for you?" As she speaks in a brisk tone, she starts tapping her foot impatiently, eyes scanning the room for other customers in need while she listens to you.

As she does so, a woman with brown skin and braided black hair approaches Velkaria, and leans down to murmur in her ear.

Show
    Inana comes over and whispers, "You can begin your performance as soon as you are ready. Let me know if you need anything." ((You can take a few minutes to sit at the table/chat without any issue, if you like.))

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

Velkaria seems interested in hearing the tales of the others, though doesn't do anything further to introduce herself. As she's used to people already knowing about her and she's about to be performing anyway.

She gives a nod to Inana and replies, "Just a few more minutes here and a space to play."
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-08-04 at 12:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn nods to Suza and sits near Velkaria if possible, smiling slightly and much more relaxed than she was on the road. When the ale arrives she takes her stein and sips it briefly, letting out a contented sound
    Something to eat would be appreciated, Marla, those stuffed plantains sound delicious. Thank you. She nudges Velkaria lightly You're playing tonight? Kebri, Grey, you're in for a treat. She turns to more closely examine Ooduls' shell as he speaks. I assume you met Velkaria on a ship, then?
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-08-04 at 01:27 AM.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel1000 View Post
    Suza greets the newcomers to the table, saying "Nice to meet you." and giving a soft wave. As you sit with her, she gives each of you a quick glance, before her eye is caught on Kebri's staff in particular. As you sit down and begin to settle, she leans towards you and asks, "Would you happen to be a follower of the Wild Mother?"
    Kebri nods again and takes a deep drink of the ale. "Well, I followed her here, I suppose. And will, to wherever is next. Ashwyn and Khapya spoke of great storms here - perhaps this place is in need of a little balance. Perhaps a few ships in need of guidance, it sounds like, Ooduls? How has that been?

"I am looking forward to the performance, yes. Nature is full of music but people have so many different creations to help them make it, it's always a treat."
    Last edited by Archemist; 2020-08-04 at 01:59 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

On hearing Ooduls's request for its story, Grey first regards the tortle with a guarded silence. Eventually, though, it speaks.

"I come from beyond the Cyrios Mountains," it begins slowly. "The King Bertrand's people do not look upon appearances like mine kindly, and the family that used to protect me was... conscripted about a year ago. I tried to survive on my own for a while, but there was no city or farm that did not turn on me with spear and crossbow. Apart from that, there was only the Cyrengreen, a dangerous place for the lone. But I remembered what an old friend once told me: That on the coast lived people who would not shun someone like myself. So I decided to quit the Empire and make my way here."

It pauses in contemplation before speaking again.

"So far, I think the people here have proven him correct."

Bringing the tip of its tail around to grasp the stein, Grey sips ale. With a mouth unsuited to cups, it can manage only as long as it doesn't try to swallow too much at once. The chair wobbles, unbalanced by the weight of Grey's thick tail tail all on one side.

Privately, Grey is worried that someone might demand it pay for its drink, but refusing might draw attention. As long as it keeps quiet, it reasons, there is a five-out-of-six chance of someone else volunteering their coin, and for this reason it also says nothing about the stuffed plantains.

Grey offers no comment on the musical discussion, as its only relevant experience consists of the goblins' ritual chants and the hymns the trapped souls within it sometimes sing—neither a safe topic for conversation.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-09-05 at 05:36 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

"Aye, the Stormlord introduced us on the Wavechaser and brought us here. The captain needs to repair the ship from the storm damage, so she can continue her voyage. How did you and Velkaria meet?"
    Ooduls replies to Ashwyn.

To Kebri, Ooduls smiles broadly and genuinely. "There are many in need of guidance. The Stormlord ensures I'm always at the right place to do His work, so I just do the best I can with the opportunities He gives me."

To Grey, Ooduls listens intently and seriously to the story of whatever-it-is, "Now the Stormlord has brought you here. I would imagine that it is much easier to feel the will of the Stormlord on the Menagerie Coast. But, I would not know having never been too far out of sight of a coast myself."

"To new friends!"
    The tortle offers a toast for an excuse to drink.
    Last edited by Jubal; 2020-08-04 at 05:57 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

Internally, Grey is screaming bloody vengeance at the very idea that another god could be in control of its actions.

"Perhaps," it says, a slight pronouncement of its Goblin accent the only outward sign of a loss of composure, "but I rather think it is the mule Sandy who should be credited with bringing us here."

Never having drunk in a group before, Grey is bewildered by the toast, but the confusion does a good job of defusing its anger. It raises its stein perhaps a moment after the others and lowers it late as well, chair wobbling even more violently from the imbalance.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

Velkaria chuckles softly at Grey's joke. She then raises her cup and drinks.

She opens her mouth to answer for Ashwyn, but then stops realizing it might be interesting to hear how Ashwyn tells it. The "oh, how will you tell the tale?" interested look on her face is probably not lost on Ashwyn.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn raises her glass with the others, but she continues drinking at a more moderate pace. She catches Velkaria's expression and raises a brow. My last year studying under Melwick Tossbuckle he took me along to a social event. I wasn't really familiar with anyone, but Velkaria is quite gregarious. She came to talk to me and introduced me to a few people around the room. Her patron had business with Master Tossbuckle the next day and we got to speaking about magic while she saw me practicing. We've kept in touch since. She speaks matter-of-factly, but seems fond of the tale.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show