New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [IC] Wildemount: Vengeful Tides [5e]

After another long day of travel, the motley crew that has been tracing the path from Port Damali to the end of the Vezdali Peninsula finally sees their destination in sight. With each step they take, the ocean breeze and the smell of salt grows stronger.

As you crest a hill, you see a little village stretched out before you, bathed in the yellowing light of the afternoon sun. Boxy little houses made from pale wood sit in clusters, gathering like colorful little bugs at the tip of the headland. The town is crowned by palm trees that peek above the homes, a few squat windmills that face the ocean to the west, and a distinctive town hall that sits near the far edge of the town. Past the hall, you can see a few masts waving with the tides and winds, almost as if they're greeting you.

The shadows are beginning to stretch long, but you have managed to arrive well before nightfall. Together, the four of you- a dragonborn, a human, a tiefling, and a fire genasi- stand poised to enter the town that you've been walking towards for most of your waking hours. All of you have been traveling for well over a week, and some for almost a month.
    In spite of many toils, troubles, and dangers, you've finally made it to the town of Palma Flora.

You've managed to arrive on the 10th day of Thunsheer, the eve of the Harvest Rise festival. The afternoon is slowly getting on, and the shade of the palm trees and homes looks like a tempting respite from the sun that has been beating down on the open road.
    Approaching the edge of town, you see several small farm buildings, as well as fallow fields that appear to be ready for planting. You can see that the road travels past these fields and houses, and into the more tightly packed town center.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In a previous post in the OOC thread, I mentioned your characters arriving on the 9th day of Thunsheer- I've changed it to the 10th.

How do your characters feel at the prospect of finally getting a rest with a roof over their heads, as opposed to sleeping under the stars?

How do you all plan on entering town? It can be as simple as just walking in along the main road, or trying to find the nearest person who can show you around town, or sending in just one person to scout, etc. Feel free to discuss here or in the OOC thread, whatever feels right.

Spoiler: Palma Flora & Character Status
    Show
    Today is: 10th day of Thunsheer Location:
    Kebri Tor Dragonborn Druid Riptide Inn & Tavern
    Indomitable Khapya Human Barbarian Riptide Inn & Tavern
    Ashwyn Holm Fire Genasi Wizard Riptide Inn & Tavern
    Grey Tiefling Warlock Riptide Inn & Tavern
    Velkaria Tiefling Warlock Riptide Inn & Tavern
    Ooduls Tortle Cleric Riptide Inn & Tavern

Spoiler: Setting background
    Show

Spoiler: Calendar
    Show
    Month Days Holidays
    Horisal 29 New Dawn (1st) {Avandra's holy day}, Hillsgold (27th)
    Misuthar 30 Day of Challenging (7th) {Kord's holy day}
    Dualahei 30 Renewal Festival (13th),
    Wild’s Grandeur (20th) {Melora's holy day}
    Thunsheer 31 Harvest’s Rise (11th),
    Merryfrond’s Day (31st)
    Unndilar 28 Deep Solace (8th) {Moradin's holy day}, Zenith (26th)
    Brussendar 31 Artisan’s Faire (15th),
    Elvendawn (20th) {Corellon's holy day}
    Sydenstar 32 Highsummer (7th) {Pelor's holy day},
    Morn of Largesse (14th)
    Fessuran 29 Harvest’s Close (3rd)
    Quen’pillar 27 Hazel Festival (10th),
    Civilization’s Dawn (22nd) {Erathis's holy day}
    Cuersaar 29 Night of Ascension (13th) {The Raven Queen's holy day}
    Duscar 32 Barren Eve (2nd),
    Embertide (5th) {Bahamut's holy day}

The seven days of the week are Miresen, Grissen, Whelsen, Conthsen, Folsen, Yulisen, and Da’leysen.

Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-08-02 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Updating setting information
    My avatar is by Kari Avalon, aka @evatrice on twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Vengeful Tides [IC]

The cart creaks to a stop just outside the town, pausing. "I suppose this is land's end, at long last," says Kebri Tor. "The conclusion of my journey. It has been good to travel with you all through the Vezdaweald, and I suppose we should rest for the night. If we find a suitable lodging, I may join you and celebrate our successful trip."

Kebri takes a long look out over the ocean. "I don't know where the Wildmother leads from here. I have been asking but with no answer, yet. But there is no rush to find one."
    Last edited by Archemist; 2020-07-20 at 12:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock
    AC: 15 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Grey, perching at one of the cart's corners, raises its head and exhales in a relieved manner as it surveys the town.

"This looks a friendly enough place—and now it seems I must try staying in a building for the first time in my life. I suppose they are not really that different from caves, all things considered. Perhaps some of the natives can tell us where to find such a place."

It cranes its neck to see if there are any locals nearby who appear as if they might be willing to give directions.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Just in case this is a task difficult enough to merit a roll...
    Perception: (1d20+1)[18]
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-07-31 at 06:29 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Velkaria
    Show
    As happy as he is being tossed on the waves of the Stormlord's emotions, Ooduls is just as happy in port. The Stormlord expects us to prepare for his emotions, and the Wavechaser is most certainly unready for as much as a scolding.

Standing by Velkaria on the foc'sle as they approach the dock, the tortle suggests, "If you want to entertain, you'll want to speak to Lewyn Hairtussle, the halfling proprietor of the Riptide Inn, and Kalia Saleq, the half-elf head of the Palma Flora Traders organization who would be organizing events for the eve of Harvest's Rise."

"Palma Flora is small. Let me give you a copper piece tour of the place. Then, we can break our fast at the Riptide and watch the rich people. Your contacts would probably be there anyway. Sound good?"

As they dock, the fishermen are bringing in their catch of the morning. Ooduls sees and waves to Suza, a lovely tortle fisher about his age who is going about her morning routine. They knocked shells when he was last here. Maybe, they can reconnect.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Wildemount: Vengeful Tides [5e]

Spoiler: Ooduls
    Show

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10 PIv: 9 PIs: 10

"That sounds lovely, Ooduls. Thank you for your assistance." Velkaria replies, giving the tortle a warm smile.

At the exchange of waves to the other tortle she asks, "A friend of yours? Is this a place you visit frequently?"
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-07-20 at 12:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show
    "She's a friend, Suza. I've been here a couple times. I try to make friends in every port. Makes life more fun." Ooduls says with a genuine smile.

Ooduls disembarks the Wavechaser and leads Velkaria to the far end of the town via the bridge focusing on the port (left) side of the town. When they would get to the edge of town, they would turnaround and focus on the starboard (right) side of the town. Among the landmarks and townsfolk who he remembers, he introduces her to two other tortles living in town: Jappa, a middle-aged tortle who is always bedecked in beads, jewels, and silks. She runs one of the market stands on Flora Isle, mostly catering to visitors. She is charming and a little bit flirty. And Leydo, an older tortle who runs one of the windmills for grain, is generally gruff but caring and considerate behind his curmudgeonly exterior.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The enormous crocodile-woman named Khapya grinned from her seat in the wagon. She reached over and delivered a companionable pat on the back to Kebri that rocked the dragonborn forward from the impact.
    "A good journey, though a little lacking inexcitement. Now, I know what I want, yes - a proper bed and a barrel of ale! It's getting late, and no doubt there'll be some kind of inn along the main road - so let's just roll along and see what we see!"
    She breathed in deep. It had been strange going through the forest, where the smell of the sea had been replaced with the earthen stink of leaf litter and mold. The gladiator could feel enthusiasm bubbling up inside.
    "Good to have arrived in time for the festival tomorrow! Might be interesting, yes? Certainly the first one outside the old home port I'll have been to!"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn takes in the sight on the settlement and the familiar smell of sea air on the breeze with a small smile. The journey wasn't unfamiliar, but the damage to Port Damali had set her on edge contemplating the damage to the village. A small thought went to the other towns along the coast and her friends and guildmembers there; hopefully none had been caught in the storm. She makes a mental note to write to her mother.

The town looked well enough, though, and she had fresh supplies to sell the next day. For now, she had to agree somewhat with her larger companion: it was time to find a room and a drink

You really do have to try beds, Grey. They're wonderfully soft and much better than a bedroll. Or the ground. She flicks the reigns Come on, Sandy, not much further. and the mule begins pulling the cart down the road again and she sets her eyes about for any signs of an inn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooduls & Velkaria
    Show
    Early on in your tour of Palma Flora, you meet Jappa, who is chatting up her wares to a pair of excitable gnomes that are dressed in the finery of a Clovis Concord noble. "This here is one of the finest shawls you could find along the entire coast. Go ahead, give it a feel- it was crafted by my good friend Margery, a gnome with almost a century of weaving experience. Goodness, if only she were here to see how beautiful you looked in it. I'll have to tell her that one of her works went to a gnome with impeccable taste. And do you know what would go well with that? I have hear a sea emerald brooch that will sparkle and glisten and make you the envy of anyone with a decent sense of taste. What do you think? One hundred gold pieces for the lot!" After a bit of haggling, the gnomes clearly being interested but not wanting to spend that much, they finally buy when she offers it to them for 70gp.
    Show
    With your insight and perception, you can tell that the value of these goods is somewhere south of 20gp. The "sea emerald" is a piece of turquoise, and the shawl, while not poorly made, doesn't seem to be worth particularly much either.

After her successful sale, Jappa waves you over for a brief hello. "Ooduls, my darling! So good to see you again- I hope these rough oceans haven't been to hard on you." As you approach her stall, you both get a strong whiff of a flowery perfume, and you get the sense that everything here has been sprayed at least once with whatever scent she's using in order to make her goods more appealing.
    Turning to Velkaria, she exclaims, "And you have made a beautiful friend! It is wonderful to meet you, my name is Jappa. May I ask after yours?" After Velkaria introduces herself, she rummages through a shelf that is out of sight and pulls out a silken maroon scarf. "Pardon me for being forward, but I think this would be a most elegant accessory for a beauty such as you. No charge, any friend of Ooduls is a friend of mine!" Looking at Ooduls, she adds, "I hope to see you at the beach celebration tonight. There's lots of fun to be had," and winks.

You move on to the rest of the town as she slips back into her patter and finds more interested patrons. A few minutes later, you find Leydo, who welcomes Ooduls with open arms, but is in the middle of organizing the loading of several carts. He promises to find you at the party and buy you a drink, and you leave him to his task.
    Other sights that Ooduls points out are the brewery that sits next to Leydo's windmill, one that is well known for a wide variety of brews and spirits; the headquarters of the Palma Flora Traders, the local trader’s union; and finally, the town hall and the stores and stalls in the town square in front of it.

As Sandy the mule begins to move your cart in the direction of Palma Flora, you all keep an eye out for an inn or a place to stay, and Grey looks carefully for someone who might be able to guide you. Approaching the edge of town, passing small pieces of farmland and large gardens, there seems to be very few people around. There are short, humble farm buildings on either side, that grow into small houses with colorful roofs. You can see people entering their homes, and walking down alleyways, but the main road is largely empty of people so far.

However, closing in on the center of town, you start to hear a murmur, that builds into a hubbub, and grows further into a din. Turning the corner around a building with a red tile roof, you see that the people of Palma Flora are congregating in the southern half of town, and that the celebration of Harvest Rise's Eve has already commenced for many of them.

Below the triple peaked thatch roof of what appears to be a town hall, you see dozens of stalls, stands, and carts, packed high with foods, drinks, goods and baubles. There is a lively band consisting of three halflings and a dwarf, who are belting out sea shanties that are accompanied by most of the crowd in front of them. The smell of fried fish meets your nose, and you can see several ovens and grills that are being tended to, with long lines of people awaiting food. Beyond the square, you can see a bridge leading to an island, but because it slopes downwards, it's hard to tell exactly what is on it from your current angle.

As you all stand for a moment and take in the sights and sounds, you soon notice a half-elf with light brown skin and slicked back brown hair striding towards you. A sash sits squarely across his red kurta, and he smiles broadly as he draws near. "Welcome to the town of Palma Flora!" Even fifteen feet away, he has to yell to be heard over the sound of the crowd behind him. His eyes rove over your party, and asks, "I don't suppose you all are looking for a place to stay the night?"
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-07-21 at 10:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

"We are," replies Grey. As it speaks, it lets a little of the supernatural force churning inside itself leak out, so that although it does not strain its voice, the words ring through the crowd as clearly as the half-elf's shout. "Is there somewhere you would recommend?"

Spoiler: Spell
    Show
    Using thaumaturgy to increase voice volume three times.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-07-31 at 06:25 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

"My, it's lovely! Just like your friend here Ooduls. Velkaria Lapidus, a pleasure to meet you Jappa." Velkaria says with a delighted smile as she accepts the gift and immediately wraps it about her neck with a bit of flourish even though it doesn't go with what she's wearing at the moment.

As they go about town, Velkaria is clearly interested in hearing about and seeing the place and is greatly enjoying the tour. Having a personal tour guide to a new and lovely places is pretty much exactly how she wants to spend her time on this journey she's taking and is delighted it's the very first thing that happened even though her ship was blown off-course. Clearly the fates, or perhaps her patron, had conspired to make sure the start of her journey set the proper tone. Even if mayhap they had to inconvenience some others to do it.

As they come by the brewery she laments her lack of funds to purchase quality spirits and then suggest they go in to take a look anyway.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)
    AC: 17 (19 with shield) HP: 9/9
    PP: 16 PIv: 9 PIs: 16

Ooduls reaches the edge of town and turns the tour around and leads Velkaria back to the Riptide Inn. "Let’s turnaround and see what I missed on the way out here. And return to the Riptide Inn to break our fast. We’ll be able to hear what’s happening there."

Ooduls is happy for the companionship and the opportunity to see his tortle friends.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn nods in agreement to Grey's question and leans towards Khapya Tomorrow's festivities seem to be kicking off a bit early. Have fun, but don't forget your deal with the guild; I'd hate for the free flowing libations to rob you of your bonus. She leans a bit closer to the half-elf We carry good stock to lighten your town's load after the storm. Where could we look to trade? My employers have an interest in local exports.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Ooduls and Velkaria
    Show
    Walking back on the east side of town, you pass by the headquarters of the Palma Flora Traders. The red tile roofs are a common architectural element of their various buildings. A few of the smaller buildings have their doors wide open, and you can see several burly workers dragging various trade goods to the town square, where dozens of stalls have been erected in preparation for the upcoming celebrations. Ooduls points out Kelia Saleq, a dark-skinned, portly half-elf who is organizing the setup of the town square. Although he seems quite busy at the moment, given a few minutes you would be able to approach him to ask about the possibility of performing either tonight or tomorrow.

Passing through the town square, Ooduls points out the few regular buildings & shops, which include a fishmonger, a blacksmith, and an herbalist's store. In and around the regular stores are many stalls that are currently being stocked and decorated.
    Moving further down the main road, just before you reach the bridge, you pass a round, squat group of buildings with several chimneys. You see a sign above the entrance that says "BADOU'S", and Ooduls points this out as the brewery. The front entrance is a few steps up to a door covered in palm fronds that tickle as you push your way in.

You step into a room that is bedecked in bamboo, both as a structural and decorative material. The small windows around the top of the room let only a few shafts of sun in, making you feel as though you've stepped into a different atmosphere from the bright and energetic city outside. A warm, complex smell- you can pick out peat, peaches, something citrusy, and possibly a hint of vinegar?- curls around your nose. Along the bamboo shelves, you see several bottles and containers, each with a simple hand-written label that has an elaborate seal in the upper left corner.

As you get your bearings, a young halfling with a streak of white in their otherwise black wavy hair steps out from behind a desk in the back, coming forward to greet you with a relaxed but cheerful smile. "Welcome, welcome, this is Badou's Brewery! Are you here for a tour?"

Hearing Grey’s question loud and clear, the half-elf nods and opens his mouth to answer, but not before realizing he can’t match Grey’s volume.
    Instead, he gestures to the building with the red tile roof that you just walked past, and yells, “Let’s talk in here- much more peaceful!” From inside his sash, he pulls out a small ring of keys, and leads you over to a pair of double doors. He opens both, revealing a large, empty room, big enough for all four of you, as well as Sandy and the cart.
    The interior of this squat structure is made of daubed clay, making it nice and cool. It's the respite from the heat you’ve been looking for. When he closes the door, the chaos of the market outside finally subsides.

"Ahh, that's much better. Allow me to introduce myself- my name is Kelia Saleq. I am the chairperson of the Palma Flora Traders association," here he proudly strokes his sash, "and I am happy to welcome you all to Palma Flora! I haven't seen you all before, so I would be honored to tell you about our little home." Realizing you didn't ask for an in-depth introduction, he cuts himself off to say, "If you are in any kind of rush, then let me notify you that the best place to stay the night is the Riptide Inn and Tavern, on Flora Isle to the south- it's the tallest building in town, you can't miss it.
    However,"
    he says with a look at Ashwyn's cart and the various boxes and barrels within, "I see that you may have some goods you may be interested in trading, and I'm just the person to talk to on that front. Regardless, I would like to get to know you all! May I enquire after your names?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel1000 View Post
    Spoiler: Ooduls and Velkaria
    Show
    Walking back on the east side of town, you pass by the headquarters of the Palma Flora Traders. The red tile roofs are a common architectural element of their various buildings. A few of the smaller buildings have their doors wide open, and you can see several burly workers dragging various trade goods to the town square, where dozens of stalls have been erected in preparation for the upcoming celebrations. Ooduls points out Kelia Saleq, a dark-skinned, portly half-elf who is organizing the setup of the town square. Although he seems quite busy at the moment, given a few minutes you would be able to approach him to ask about the possibility of performing either tonight or tomorrow.

Passing through the town square, Ooduls points out the few regular buildings & shops, which include a fishmonger, a blacksmith, and an herbalist's store. In and around the regular stores are many stalls that are currently being stocked and decorated.
    Moving further down the main road, just before you reach the bridge, you pass a round, squat group of buildings with several chimneys. You see a sign above the entrance that says "BADOU'S", and Ooduls points this out as the brewery. The front entrance is a few steps up to a door covered in palm fronds that tickle as you push your way in.

You step into a room that is bedecked in bamboo, both as a structural and decorative material. The small windows around the top of the room let only a few shafts of sun in, making you feel as though you've stepped into a different atmosphere from the bright and energetic city outside. A warm, complex smell- you can pick out peat, peaches, something citrusy, and possibly a hint of vinegar?- curls around your nose. Along the bamboo shelves, you see several bottles and containers, each with a simple hand-written label that has an elaborate seal in the upper left corner.

As you get your bearings, a young halfling with a streak of white in their otherwise black wavy hair steps out from behind a desk in the back, coming forward to greet you with a relaxed but cheerful smile. "Welcome, welcome, this is Badou's Brewery! Are you here for a tour?"

Hearing Grey’s question loud and clear, the half-elf nods and opens his mouth to answer, but not before realizing he can’t match Grey’s volume.
    Instead, he gestures to the building with the red tile roof that you just walked past, and yells, “Let’s talk in here- much more peaceful!” From inside his sash, he pulls out a small ring of keys, and leads you over to a pair of double doors. He opens both, revealing a large, empty room, big enough for all four of you, as well as Sandy and the cart.
    The interior of this squat structure is made of daubed clay, making it nice and cool. It's the respite from the heat you’ve been looking for. When he closes the door, the chaos of the market outside finally subsides.

"Ahh, that's much better. Allow me to introduce myself- my name is Kelia Saleq. I am the chairperson of the Palma Flora Traders association," here he proudly strokes his sash, "and I am happy to welcome you all to Palma Flora! I haven't seen you all before, so I would be honored to tell you about our little home." Realizing you didn't ask for an in-depth introduction, he cuts himself off to say, "If you are in any kind of rush, then let me notify you that the best place to stay the night is the Riptide Inn and Tavern, on Flora Isle to the south- it's the tallest building in town, you can't miss it.
    However,"
    he says with a look at Ashwyn's cart and the various boxes and barrels within, "I see that you may have some goods you may be interested in trading, and I'm just the person to talk to on that front. Regardless, I would like to get to know you all! May I enquire after your names?"
    The fire genasi smiles politely and extends a hand to shake Ashwyn Holm, of the Shorewalk Merchant's Guild. A pleasure to meet you, Kelia. Around this time a red-tailed hawk the others had become used to seeing circle their cart and rest nearby as they camped the past few days circles in and lands atop the building building.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"I see that you may have some goods you may be interested in trading, and I'm just the person to talk to on that front. Regardless, I would like to get to know you all! May I enquire after your names?"
    Kebri looks around the room, a bit bemused, but also a bit suspicious. "Kebri. This your place, then?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

"Yes, we are!" Velkaria says quickly and clearly before Ooduls has a chance to say anything that might be other than yes. She has no idea if he might have or not, she wasn't taking chances.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

Grey gives a nod in acknowledgement of Kelia, unable to banish a hint of imperiousness from the gesture. After a few weeks of relative safety, old habits are starting to creep back in, even as it tries to clamp down on its instincts. It waits for the voice-amplifying spell to wear off before speaking.

"I am called Grey. If I might ask—an establishment like the one you mention requires money in exchange for shelter, does it not?"

Never having had any use for money before, Grey does not possess any. The word still doesn't come easily. Despite listening to Ashwyn speak about such matters on the road, the tiefling remains uncertain about engaging with the world of commerce.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-09-05 at 05:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

"Yes. Yes, we are." Ooduls concurs with Velkaria with a smile and a nod.
    Last edited by Jubal; 2020-07-22 at 06:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC: Kebri & Grey
    Show
    Kebri, I'd like you to make a Wisdom(Insight) check. Grey, make a general Charisma check. You can both roll in the OOC thread.

Spoiler: Velkaria & Ooduls
    Show
    “Wonderful, let’s get you started!” As you exchange introductions, your halfling guide tells you their name is Hugo. They proceed to give you an intensive tour of this humble but diverse brewing operation.

Spoiler: Badou's Brewery
    Show
    Stepping through a back door, you cross an alleyway to a circular building, similar to the one you just left but slightly sunk into the ground. You take a few steps down into a room populated by wooden vats. "This is where the fermentation takes place- on this side of the room we have our wines-to-be, and behind them sit the barrels that ferment for the liqueurs we produce." They pull the lid off of a few vats, allowing you to get a whiff of fruits and yeast combining to make a rich and earthy scent.

Crossing the alley again to another building, you are shown a room full of copper tubes and tubs, connected in inscrutable ways to each other. Beneath the large tubs are several fire pits, all of which are unlit at the moment. "This is where we distill the fermented fruits into the sweet libations that we are so proud of. Our equipment is of the finest Gwardan quality, carefully crafted by the steaming and hammering processes of the elves there. They help impart a nuance of flavor and texture that you won’t find in any other brewery’s distillations," Hugo says with pride.

The final room of the tour is a cellar below the room of vats, accessible only from a steep staircase that stretches down from a bulkhead. Hugo lights a small lamp and shows you rows and rows of barrels, each with handwritten notes in a script you can't quite understand. They tap on several of them, naming them as they do so. "This is a peach brandy, one of our most consistent sellers, and one that we distribute as far as Rexxentrum. This here is a palm wine, probably the most popular drink for the locals- it doesn't travel well, but when served fresh it is the best way to end a long day in the sun. Here we have a cask of our pineapple rum, a new creation, and one that is proving to be quite popular."

Having given you a comprehensive survey of everything the brewery has to offer, Hugo leads you over to a small cabinet with a conspiratorial air. "Normally on our tours, visitors are able to see our systems hard at work. However, all of our workers are currently busy helping prepare the town for the festival. Since you didn't get the full experience, but have been wonderful guests regardless, I'll share with you something that we don't often give out." As the cabinet is opened, you see a collection of large vials with flat bottoms, each one with a small tag tied around the neck. "You may each choose three of our brews," they say, graciously stepping out of the way and allowing you to closely peruse the options.

Spoiler: Badou's Brews
    Show
    The tags read as follows:

~{Peach Brandy} ~{Tussoan Wine} ~{Sealeaf Liqueur}
    ~{Peach Wine} ~{Othemoor Bitters} ~{Palm Wine}
    ~{Sparkling Seawine} ~{Hearthstar Herbal Libation} ~{Pineapple Rum}

Once you have each chosen three, they lead you to the storefront where you started. "Thank you for joining me on this tour! It always excites me to see the work we do through fresh eyes. Are there any questions I can answer for you both?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

Velkaria is essentially delighted the whole tour, just having a lovely day out. Especially after all that time on the boat. When Hugo offers them some samples to take with them she beams and says, "Oh, how sweet of you!" and gives him one of those "you just made my day" smiles.

She winds up picking out the Sealeaf Liquor (to match her aquatic theme), the Othemoor Bitters (as she can't imagine she's going to frequently have the opportunity to acquire any and a bottle that size is rather generous for bitters), and the Pineapple Rum (because she doesn't want to miss the opportunity to have some if it really does get popular).

"Well, the tour was just lovely Hugo. I suppose the only question I have would be to ask about the prices. As though I am tragically low on funds at the moment, I hope to rectify that and restock my supply of refreshments." she replies.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-07-23 at 02:53 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

Ooduls selects three samples and profusely thanks the halfling. "Are there anything special events or attractions at the festival that we should not miss?" He replies when offered to ask questions.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am the Indominitable Khapya! If you've ever been to the Carnivora, you should have heard of me - and if you haven't, you've missed out!" Khapya boomed. "You've missed your chance for a while, though! Mother ocean decided the best place to store boats was the central arena, alas!"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Hugo smiles with a quiet bashfulness when he hears that he made Velkaria's day. "Since you're here at just the right time, you absolutely MUST see the shark hunting competition. They'll be holding it tomorrow morning, starting around ten when the sunlight hits the crest of each wave just so. It's always a stunning display of athleticism. Other than that, I would say that you should make the most of your time here- there's no better place to forget your troubles!" he says with a wink. "Some of our products can certainly help you forget your troubles as well. You can see the price of a bottle if you flip over tag on each of the samples I gave you."

Spoiler: Tags
    Show
    ~{Bottle Sealeaf Liqueur: 45gp} ~{Bottle Pineapple Rum: 22gp} ~{Bottle Othemoor Bitters: 18gp}

Casting his eyes upwards in thought, Hugo answers, "Most of our wines run about thirty to fifty gold pieces per bottle, with brandies and liqueurs costing between forty and seventy five gold pieces. The palm wine, being a local specialty, we sell for ten gold pieces." When he finishes reciting the numbers from memory, he tightens his lips in disappointment. "Lately, our supply of peaches from the Vezdeawald and herbs from the Hearthstar Peaks have been interrupted. They had been slowing down before this turbulent winter season, but now it's even worse. We may have to cease production of our peach wine soon... a shame, as it's one of our most popular sellers. But!" he says, brightening up as he does so, "While you're in town you'll be able to try some at the Riptide Tavern- that's something else you shouldn't miss while you're around."

"I see that you may have some goods you may be interested in trading, and I'm just the person to talk to on that front. Regardless, I would like to get to know you all! May I enquire after your names?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    The fire genasi smiles politely and extends a hand to shake Ashwyn Holm, of the Shorewalk Merchant's Guild. A pleasure to meet you, Kelia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Kebri looks around the room, a bit bemused, but also a bit suspicious. "Kebri. This your place, then?"
    Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    "I am called Grey. If I might ask—an establishment like the one you mention requires money in exchange for shelter, does it not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    "I am the Indominitable Khapya! If you've ever been to the Carnivora, you should have heard of me - and if you haven't, you've missed out!" Khapya boomed. "You've missed your chance for a while, though! Mother ocean decided the best place to store boats was the central arena, alas!"
    When Ashwyn mentions the Shorewalker Merchant’s Guild, Kelia’s face lights up. He pumps her hand enthusiastically, then turns to face the rest of you as you introduce yourselves. He eyes Kebri and Grey a little more guardedly than he did Ashwyn, but when Khapya introduces herself, he is caught off guard and lets out a chortle.
    "I visited the Carnivora in my youth, but that was a long time ago. Quite a shame to hear that it has been damaged- it seems the Storm Lord's blessing is with no one these days."

Addressing Kebri and Grey, he says "This is a place of commerce; although I am the steward of these halls, I would be wrong to say that any of this is mine. I merely represent the hardworking people of this village in their dealings." Looking to Grey, he adds, "Normally, the Riptide Inn does indeed ask for some coin in exchange for their services. However, if that is not amenable to you, many of our guests take advantage of the idyllic weather to rest their heads on our fine beaches. Of course, we make sure to always have a waterwatcher available to ensure the safety of our patrons."

Turning back to Ashwyn, he exclaims, "The Shorewalkers told me you were coming- I am so glad to hear you made it safely! Any supplies you have brought would be a blessing. Do you have a manifest of goods? I would be happy to give you a surplus of products in exchange.” Barely waiting for an answer, he hurries over to a small bookshelf from which he pulls a ledger. He hurriedly flips through it, saying "Let me see what sort of goods we can spare... sharkskins, certainly... many bundles of sealeaves, not so many grains..."

Realizing he is neglecting his guests, he closes the book and says "Let us save the business dealings for another day. Ms. Holm, you are welcome to leave your hinny and cart here for the duration of the festival, or until we are able to complete our exchange. You can have access to it any time you like, I will be sure to leave the door unlocked for you. I can easily arrange feed and water for her as well." He turns to the rest of the group, and announces "Unless you had more questions for me, I would be happy to escort you to the Riptide Tavern so that you can begin your enjoyment of the festivities- this is a once-in-a-year celebration, after all!"

Spoiler: Kebri
    Show
    Although you may find this half-elf and his demeanor a little odd, he does seem to be an individual who cares genuinely for both his village and the people he considers his guests. The way he shows that care is likely quite different from most of the people you have met in your life, but he seems proud of his work.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

Grey hesitates for a moment before leaving its perch. Up on the cart, it can see eye-to-eye with most humanoids, but standing on its own gets it looked down on a lot, at least in a physical sense. For a creature raised solely among goblins, it is still a new and disconcerting experience.

Of course, the other buildings don't seem like they would accommodate a cart anyway, so Grey steels itself and drops softly to the floor.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-09-05 at 05:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn nods and produces a ledger That would be agreeable. We've been on the road some days. Our venture will take my guard and I out of town within the next few days, but I see no reason we can't relax and enjoy the festivities for tomorrow. She walks over and unhitches Sandy from her harness, giving the mule affectionate pats and scratches on the head Behave yourself now... She turns to the group Shall we? When they exit the building, the hawk from earlier glides down and perches on Ash's shoulder.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Guiding the four of you out of this little shed, Kelia leads the four of you out of this small building and back into the chaos of the town square and surrounding market. The intensity of shoppers and sellers alike has died down a bit, giving you a chance to see a little more of what's going on.

Spoiler: Palma Flora's town market
    Show
    Some of the stalls you see include:
    • A grill run by a portly dwarf, who is rotating various fishes and fruits to a perfect char, accompanied by a slender elf who is selling bamboo skewers full of food;
    • A tall, green-haired firbolg selling several piles of herbs and soaps, whose stand is emitting a cleansing and wholesome scent;
    • A pair of human twins who have a wide array of colorful, spinning trinkets, who are currently surrounded by a large group of children clamoring to buy toys;
    • A tall and elegant tiefling woman who's tent has several racks of dresses, kaftans, scarves and shawls, currently holding up a pair of dresses to an interested customer and demonstrating how they shimmer as they move.

As you walk through the square, several people wave to Kelia, who jovially greets them as you pass. You see a dark-skinned human man, bald with a white beard, give him a greeting, and then do a double take as he sees your party. He steps out from behind the stall he is manning, and rushes up to Khapya, yelling "If that isn't the future champion of the Carnivora, come to the humble town of Palma Flora!" He is both fat and stout, and he wraps his arms around her in a hug that is strong enough to pick up the 6'10" woman by an inch.

Spoiler: Khapya
    Show
    You recognize this man as Faruq Tan'adu, a veteran of the arena and a good friend of your father's, who helped train you in your youth before moving away several years ago. Where your father's specialty was grappling, Faruq taught you the fine arts of using an opponent's strength and momentum against them. (Essentially, a judo-like form of combat.)

You knew him after his gladiator career, when he was an announcer and judge at the Carnivora- a position that was partially taken over by Ulfwan. He hasn't kept up with news from the arena, so it seems he's not aware that you have already become a champion...

"It's good to see you!" he exclaims, releasing Khapya and stepping back to survey her. "My, you've grown so much- what brings you here?" Turning to the rest of the group, he says "My apologies- my name is Faruq, a friend of Khapya's from long ago. I help organize the shark-hunting tournaments here, which I hope you all will attend tomorrow!" He takes another look at Khapya with a discerning eye. "We're actually one short for the amateur portion of the event- Khapya, you'd be the perfect candidate if you're interested in volunteering? Don't worry, we keep it easy- the real sharks don't come until later," he says with a wink.

While Khapya talks, Kebri feels a small tap on her calf, and looks down to see a pair of children. One, a small green dragonborn with a long tail, is cowering behind her friend, a slightly older tortle with a deep blue shell. The tortle pipes up, "Sorry to bother you miss, my friend wanted to give you a gift! Go on then, Nya," he says, stepping aside and pushing his friend forwards.

The dragonborn steps forward humbly, and holds out a necklace made of woven palm fronds, strung with seashells. In a mumble that is hard to understand, she says "This is for you." She pulls a second one out of a small bag at her side, and walks over to Grey, saying "Got one for your friend too." Having delivered her gifts, she tries to run away, but her friend catches her and whispers into her ear. At his words, she turns around, standing with a straight posture. "My name is Nyazan Boudera, welcome to Palma Flora, thank you! What is your name?" Having finished this seemingly scripted interaction, she shrinks a little, but doesn't run away as she awaits an answer.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Since you all have seen a bit more of town, I'll share a labeled map. I'll update it in the IC/OOC post as well.
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-07-27 at 12:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

Refreshments in at least some small measure finally in tow, Velkaria looks to Ooduls and asks, "So where to next?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Show

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

"The Riptide," Ooduls replies with a broad smile. He tours Velkaria to the Inn to break their fast and watch nobles.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kebri dons the necklace. "I am Kebri Tor. I... I am glad for your gift." She blinks her eyes a bit and seems quite genuinely moved by seeing the kids. She drops to a knee, closer to their level. "You are kind and brave. Thank you. I don't have much in the way of pretty things to give in return..." She thinks for a moment, and then smiles. "Here -" and summons a flurry of pink cherry-blossom petals to swirl in the air around them for a moment.

She straightens up somewhat bashfully, and speaks to the others in the party more than the kids, but also kind of just to herself. "I'm sorry, it has been quite a while since I've been in a place with families like me."