New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Wildemount: Vengeful Tides [5e]

Marla notes who ordered food, nods curtly, and strides back to the kitchen.

Suza watches the theological debate with interest. With a curious look towards Grey, she says, “It may have been a mule who carried you here, but surely the fact that you arrived safely during such turbulent times is a form of blessing, no? I have heard that traveling the Cyrios Mountains is no easy task as well.”
    Turning to Kebri, she asks, “Do you feel the presence of the Wild Mother any differently compared to where you’ve traveled from? I have heard that in other places, she is worshipped as a single entity- and in some places, worshipping her is even banned!” As she says this, she seems to be shocked herself that such a thing could be true.
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-08-06 at 08:55 PM.
    My avatar is by Kari Avalon, aka @evatrice on twitter!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock
    AC: 15 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 11
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Suza's interjection reignites Grey's rage in an instant.

A blessing? But is it that of your Stormlord, or mine, O fool with the old-blood shell? And if mine, take care it does not become a curse!

Knowing better than to speak such words aloud, its mouth opens to deliver a somewhat less hostile retort, accent grown perhaps a shade more apparent.

"Yes, the mountain path is harsh, and the one I will—"

But then it seems to catch itself and looks away from the tortle pair for a few long moments, drawing a deep, silent breath. When its eyes flick back to them and it speaks, all traces of Goblin are gone from its voice.

"Well. Stormlord, no Stormlord—whichever it is, we will not find the answer around this table," it says.

There is a short pause, during which it decides to try saying something more conciliatory.

"To be sure, the devotion you both show to your god is commendable. But understand that I will never accept his hand in any part of my own fate."

At that, it falls silent, taking a sip from its cup to cover the tension.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-10-09 at 05:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Strudel1000 View Post
    Turning to Kebri, she asks, “Do you feel the presence of the Wild Mother any differently compared to where you’ve traveled from? I have heard that in other places, she is worshipped as a single entity- and in some places, worshipping her is even banned!” As she says this, she seems to be shocked herself that such a thing could be true.
    "Of the foolish and cruel things we mortals try to do, thinking we could ban the Wildmother must be near the top of the list. I have never encountered her as a single being, and might not wish to, since it would probably end me. But she is all around, and never the same twice."

Kebri seems surprised at Grey's reaction to the bit about the mule, but accepts it without comment.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)
    AC: 17 (19 with shield) HP: 9/9
    PP: 16 PIv: 9 PIs: 16

Ooduls smiles and nods at Grey's comments, obvious that he has heard the sentiment before. "Yes. There are those who shout at the storm for getting wet and breaking their house or ship." He takes a sip.

"I'm not familiar with the Wildmother. Can you tell us more?" He asks the table with genuine interest.
    Last edited by Jubal; 2020-08-05 at 01:36 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

After the toast, Khapya poured the drink down her throat in a single series of gulps - the mug seemed almost small in her grasp.
    "Ah, that's more like it!"
    She shrugged as Ooduls asked the table.
    "I can't tell you much about the gods, so I'll leave that to others! CLosest I've got is the old spirit in this."
    She tapped a claw on the thick golden bracelet around her wrist, ting ting! Someone in the deep recesses of her soul, she felt it stir for a moment, before it settled again. Not feeling like conversation, you old boots?
    "Course, they don't talk much, so I suppose I couldn't tell you much about them either! Hahaha!"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Ooduls smiles and takes a sip.

"I'm not familiar with the Wildmother. Can you tell us more?" He asks the table with genuine interest.
    Kebri gestures expansively around, but seems at a loss for words for a moment. "I... I only know of your Stormlord from what I've seen, and the Wildmother is a bit like that. And your Storm is also banned, in the Empire I'd left. Pointless, I know. Anyhow, the two are alike, but the Wildmother is more... creative, and harmonious? Like..." and she raises her hand in a quick circle to cast Druidcraft again, this time for a fresh pine scent to head towards Ooduls.

Spoiler: OOC - Wildmother
    Show
    Actual picture of the Wildmother and one of her children:

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    "Well. Stormlord, no Stormlord—whichever it is, we will not find the answer around this table," it says.

There is a short pause, during which it decides to try saying something more conciliatory.

"To be sure, the devotion you both show to your god is commendable. But understand that I will never accept his hand in any part of my own fate."
    Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    "I can't tell you much about the gods, so I'll leave that to others! Closest I've got is the old spirit in this."
    She tapped a claw on the thick golden bracelet around her wrist, ting ting!
    "Course, they don't talk much, so I suppose I couldn't tell you much about them either! Hahaha!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Kebri gestures expansively around, but seems at a loss for words for a moment. "I... I only know of your Stormlord from what I've seen, and the Wildmother is a bit like that. And your Storm is also banned, in the Empire I'd left. Pointless, I know. Anyhow, the two are alike, but the Wildmother is more... creative, and harmonious? Like..." and she raises her hand in a quick circle to cast Druidcraft again, this time for a fresh pine scent to head towards Ooduls.
    Suza looks closely at Khapya's bracelet, adorned in crocodiles, and glances over her combined scaly and smooth skin. "An old spirit? Perhaps the Wildmother has blessed you as well?" Nodding along with Kebri's description of the goddess, she adds, "She is harmony, because she is all beasts, and is every spirit of nature. She may not take control of your fate," she says with a nod at Grey, "but her presence may touch you all the same." Eagerly sniffing the pine scent that drifts towards Ooduls, she gestures at Kebri, and says "One of your companions seems to have her blessing as well!"

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    My last year studying under Melwick Tossbuckle he took me along to a social event. I wasn't really familiar with anyone, but Velkaria is quite gregarious. She came to talk to me and introduced me to a few people around the room. Her patron had business with Master Tossbuckle the next day and we got to speaking about magic while she saw me practicing. We've kept in touch since.
    Here she turns to Ashwyn, asking "And your mentor Tossbuckle, which of the gods helps guide his path?" Addressing both Ashwyn and Velkaria, she asks "Are you both blessed with magic? This is quite an extraordinary group if so!"

Marla hurries over, handing out the orders of stuffed plantains. Seeing the speed at which Khapya drinks, she has brought over a couple of ales as well. ”Anything else I can get for you? Anything to eat? Speak now or forever hold your peace!” She offers a wink, and it seems as though she has fallen into the rhythm of the evening and is a little less stressed now that most diners have their orders.

The sound of eating and socializing has risen to a loud enough volume that she has to project to be heard. Behind her, you can all see the sky lit up with orange, purple, yellow and res, with patches of cloud soaking up the colors to create a gorgeous tableau. A few people have begun to look over at the stage sitting behind you, as if expecting a performance to start.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock
    AC: 13 HP: 10/10
    PP: 10 PIv: 9 PIs: 10

"I believe you'll have the answer to your question in just a moment." Velkaria replies to Suza with a self-amused smile and then heads over to the stage and waits to be introduced before her performance.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

A halfling dressed in a simple white tunic and pants comes onto the stage behind you, smiling broadly at the dining room. The diners fall quiet as they see her beginning to talk.

”Good evening everyone, and welcome to the Riptide Inn and Tavern! My name is Lewyn Hairtussle, and I’m the proprietor here, so please feel free to find me if you have any questions during your stay.

We appreciate you all sharing your time with us during this Harvest’s Rise festival, as we prepare for a summer that we hope will be bountiful. Tonight on the beach, there will be bonfires and celebrations, including a sow roast that everyone is welcome to partake in.

I’ve taken up enough of your time. I’m honored to introduce our first performer of the evening, Velkaria Lapidus!”
    With that introduction, Lewyn steps aside to make room for Velkaria to take the stage. There is a solid burst of applause, as it seems several members of the audience recognize her. A few people turn back to their tables, but most of the interest in the room is focused on the elegant tiefling who is bathed in the comfort orange light of the sunset.
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-08-13 at 06:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

Velkaria basks in the applause and recognition as she walks to the stage, faces the audience, and gives a small curtsy. Then she sits down on mid-air!? Ah, but just as she would put her weight on apparently nothing, a bench formed out of misting ice appears beneath her. And then a moment later a large pipe organ made the same. To all in the room the pipe organ is translucent, clearly some kind of illusion. That probably doesn't stop them from enjoying the sensation of coolness as the illusion of cool mist spreads through the space, making about a foot of the floor difficult to see.

She starts with one of those deep and haunting pipe organ songs, just to make sure she has everyone's attention. Then she moves on to a procession of classical style pieces, though how old they actually are varies quite a bit (a fact she expects maybe a single person aside from herself to appreciate). She finishes with a more modern piece she's taken a fancy to. For this one she also sings the lyrics as well.

Spoiler: Music
    Show

"So you'll be an Marquesian Nobleman
    Commissioning a symphony in C
    Which defies all earthly descriptions
    You'll be Commissioning a symphony in C

With money you squeeze from the peasants
    To your nephew you can give it as a present
    This magnificent symphony in C
    You'll be commissioning a symphony in C

Completely filling the palace concert hall
    It's warm and golden like an oven that's wide open
    It has a melody both happy and sad
    Built on victorious young triads

You've entered the room with great caution
    Though no one in the hall is even watching
    They are transfixed
    They are forgetting just to breath
    They are so taken by your symphony...
    In C

You're sitting there thinking your thoughts
    They are not about what is but what is not
    You are sitting there breathing in your breath
    You are seldom breathing life but mostly death

So you'll be an Marquesian Nobleman
    Commissioning a symphony in C
    Which defies all earthly descriptions
    You'll be commissioning...
    A symphony...
    In C"

She waits for a moment after finishing and then stands up as the illusion slowly fades away. As she receives another round of applause, she again gives a small curtsy and a smile to the audience before rejoining her friends new and old at their table. After sitting down she turns Suza and says with a wry smile, "I trust that answers your question?"

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

Ooduls starts the applause and stands.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    She waits for a moment after finishing and then stands up as the illusion slowly fades away. As she receives another round of applause, she again gives a small curtsy and a smile to the audience before rejoining her friends new and old at their table. After sitting down she turns Suza and says with a wry smile, "I trust that answers your question?"
    Kebri is a little confused. She'll never be a Marquesian noble, will she? But the song is indeed very impressive and enjoyable, so she joins Ooduls in the applause.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

Once the first round of applause starts, Grey realizes it is unable to follow suit. It has seen members of its tribe clap before, of course, but they never expected their idol above the altar to join in. Its limbs are occupied keeping it upright on the chair, and it would take lying prone like some undignified snake to free them up for any clapping—out of the question. Thumping its tail? Possible, but it wouldn't really produce the same effect. Even its magic can only generate little bursts of sound that for some reason it can never make come closer together than six seconds on that pocket-watch thing the goblins looted from one of their victims.

In the end, it misses effectively the entire performance racking its brains for a way to imitate the noise, and is still lost in thought when Velkaria returns to the table.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn enjoys the performance, her eyes closed to focus on the sound of Velkaria's playing and then also her voice. She joins the applause at the end of the performance, giving Velkaria a nod as she rejoins the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

As the evening comes to a close and the various members of the group begin to depart for wherever they have decided to sleep, Grey approaches Kebri.

"Kebri Tor. Walk with me outside, if you do not mind."

Leaving the inn, it pauses at the entrance to see if she follows.
    Spoiler: If Kebri follows
    Show
    Grey takes the path that leads back over the bridge to the mainland. After a moment or two of silence, it speaks.

"I was talking to the one with the dried-blood shell earlier. Perhaps you heard—but never mind that now. What I wanted to say to you was..."

It pauses, not used to what it is about to do. Humoring children is one thing, but humbling oneself before an equal is quite different.

"...thank you."

Grey falls silent again for a while, clearly somewhat conflicted about what it has just done. It does not elaborate on its statement.

"Anyway, I am going to go find something to eat. Good night, Kebri Tor."

Then it heads off to the outskirts of town, to seek out edible wild vegetation.

Spoiler: If Kebri does not follow
    Show
    Seeing that Kebri does not wish to walk with it, Grey gives her a look that is both disappointed and minutely incensed. It's mostly in the eyes, as its range of facial expression is less robust than that of a human, or even a tortle. Though quite possibly on par with a dragonborn.

Then it heads back over the bridge to the mainland, off to look for edible wild vegetation around the town outskirts.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kebri follows, for the record, and nods appreciatively. She says, "No thanks are needed, I think. We seem to have fallen in with some good souls, and while having... friends... is difficult, there is a season for it, like the season we've had of being alone. Good night."
    Last edited by Archemist; 2020-08-11 at 05:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Kebri
    Show
    For your past months of travel, you have felt the gentle touch of the Wildmother. Not even a touch, just a certainty that she watches over your journey and has kept you as safe as she can. However, during tonight’s sleep, that assurance seems to be missing. It’s not quite a premonition, but something feels different.

Spoiler: Grey
    Show
    Ever since you’ve been traveling with Kebri, you’ve noticed that a few of the spirits that surge inside you and attempt to banish you have started to quiet. They still form a chanting chorus of admonishment, but one or two of the voices that had been the most prominent are harder to pick out of the choir. Tonight, as you fall asleep, you note that those prominent voices are definitely missing.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roll a Survival check to see how successful your foraging is.

Spoiler: Velkaria
    Show
    After your eye-catching performance last night, Daïd is quick to find you and request the pleasure of your company, both in front of his fellow nobility and in his room for the evening (or night, if you’re interested). This morning, he treats you to breakfast with some of his friends, most of whom don’t know you. He regales them with flattering tales of your other performances, and you can tell that they are impressed by your skill and reputation. (All of this happens at your discretion, of course.)

The sound of seagulls squawking is the sound that rouses each of you from your slumber. It isn’t long before the inn and the town begin to bustle, as both staff and patrons begin to prepare for the Harvest’s Rise Festival.
    Outside on the beach, the ashes from last night’s bonfires are just starting to be blown around by the wind. A few people seem to be harvesting these ashes, putting them in large baskets and hauling them across the bridge into town. A group of about ten people are swimming laps around Flora Isle, making very good time.

Downstairs, a light breakfast service has begun. Many of the nobles appear to be quite hungover from excessive celebrations, but there is a sense of excitement in the air for the events of the day. To the right of the tavern, a small stage is quickly being erected. Long, colorful streamers have been tied around the palm trees, and the offshore breeze that lifts them up almost makes you feel like you are aboard a ship that is making good headway.

As the day passes, you see more and more people gathering on the beach, and some of the people who had been cooking and serving food in the town square yesterday have set their equipment up on the far side of the stage. The swimmers who had been making laps emerge from the ocean, and walk up the beach to kneel and pray before the statue in the middle of town.

As Ashwyn sits down to breakfast, she is found by Kelia, who asks to join her. ”Good morning dear! I wanted to thank you again for your crucial delivery. I took after Sandy yesterday and today, she is a very well behaved creature. I also had your cart loaded up with goods for your journey back- I made sure to get treated shark skins in there, as well as a few cases of alcohol, and some other things.” He hands you a manifest with a full list of what he’s given you. ”I hope you’ll stay for the festival, but as soon as you need, you are ready for departure!” If he is welcome to join you at the table, he engages you in discussions of business and trade, before leaving to oversee more of the upcoming events.

Khapya, once you step out of the tavern, you are quickly found by Faruq. "Good morning, champion! I hope you enjoyed last night's revelries. I saw you in a pushup competition with our local strongman, and I must say I wasn't surprised to see that you beat him handily," he says with a chuckle. After exchanging some more conversation, he says, "We should catch up more after the festival- I have to help finish preparations, but will you still join in the amateur competition today? It mostly just consists of swimming out to that buoy," and he points off to a colorful object floating in the water about 150 feet out into the water. "If you're still interested, the competition begins in about half an hour at the stage we've just built!" Having said so, he darts off to make sure everything else goes smoothly.

Spoiler: Khapya
    Show
    Roll me an Athletics check, a Dexterity check, and a Constitution check, and we’ll see how you do.
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-08-13 at 06:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

Velkaria spends some time with Daïd in the evening, but doesn't elect to share his bed (as she normally doesn't quite so soon after meeting someone, if she does at all). She doesn't even decline so much as steer the conversation away from the subject. In the morning she accepts his offer to break their fast together and chats happily with the other nobles. She makes sure the subject of the local refreshments is injected in the conversation at some point. Subtly hinting (but certainly not actually saying) she'd appreciate some as a gift if anyone was so inclined.

When breakfast is over she excuses herself and goes to join Ashwyn.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

Ooduls spends the evening with Suza and joins her morning fishing. With two to check her traps and fill her nets, they finished early and returned to port to break their fast at the inn with broad smiles on the their faces.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Kebri wakes somewhat later than usual, and mutters something about not being able to tell when dawn was from indoors. She takes a few leaves of some incense (or tea?) plant from one of her many pockets and pops them straight into her mouth as she walks down to the docks with Khapya and the others, and her mood seems to lift.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Ashwyn Holm
    Fire Genasi Wizard
    AC: 11 HP: 9/9
    PP: 11 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: -
    Concentration: -

Ashwyn welcomes Kelia at breakfast, chatting with him about changes to shipping routes as a result of the storm. My bodyguard seems to have been caught up in your shark hunt, so I think I'll be here at least another day. But her bonus is contingent on a timely return; barring anything unexpected, we'll depart soon. She meets up with Velkaria after breakfast, giving the grey tiefling a once over I don't know how you entertain all those people and keep yourself put together. I felt out of sorts just talking to Kelia before I finished my tea. On the walk outside, the hawk familiar joins them as well, bobbing his head towards Velkaria who he's met before

Show

Velkaria would be familiar with Tobi the hawk from their visits

Thanks to NontheistCleric for the character art!

Last edited by Luccan; 2020-08-13 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

"Why my dearest Ashwyn." Velkaria says and loops her tail around Ashwyn's hips and draws her closer for a sort of hug, "I simply enjoy taking them in the way you would a book. They all have stories to tell and can provide information or entertainment. They come in all sorts of kinds and even the ones that aren't well put together can often as not be of some use." At this she gives a laugh. When she finishes she greets the hawk, "Good morning Tobi. Find a lot of... what do you eat? Mice?" she does not nod back as she still recalls an incident where she accidentally started a fight with a cockatoo that way.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-08-14 at 12:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey
    Tiefling Warlock

Grey disentangles itself from the bush it fell asleep under last night, feeling the sea wind sweep over it. It spends a few minutes brushing stray leaves and dirt off itself, then eats a few more berries from the shrub before starting towards the stirring town.

It finds Kebri at the docks and sidles up to her.

"I found these last night," it says, fishing three rumpled green-and-purple leaves from its pack and tucking them into her hand. "Eating them does something interesting; try it yourself if you like. The effect doesn't seem to last long enough to be very useful, but perhaps you could make something of them."

Then it looks out to sea, watching the swimmers practice and wondering just how safe the business of hunting sharks is.

Show
    These are the +1 to Dex save leaves described in the OOC. Since they only last a round, I'm not sure they'll be too useful unless one can anticipate having to make a Dex save at the perfect time, but perhaps Kebri, with herbalism kit proficiency, could do something more with them?

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

"Morning!" the boisterous crocododilian greeted, looking no worse the wear for the copious quantities of drink she had consumed last night.
    "Aye, I won. Who can't even do three hundred pushup? For shame, shah's! Anyway, it's been a while since I swam - crocodiles might be ashamed, because it seems the ocean is my biggest fan of all - it quotes demands I sink, with all my weight!"
    She laughed, and cracked her knuckles.
    " I'm looking forward to it. Khapya never backs down from a challenge!"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    It finds Kebri at the docks and sidles up to her.

"I found these last night," it says, fishing three rumpled green-and-purple leaves from its pack and tucking them into her hand. "Eating them does something interesting; try it yourself if you like. The effect doesn't seem to last long enough to be very useful, but perhaps you could make something of them."
    Show
    I (as a player) have no idea if these are meant to be adapted or just used as-is, but Kebri could try, I suppose. The leaves she'd been nomming earlier weren't intended to have a mechanics effect, just character. I'll let the GM decide on that, of course.

"Many thanks! I recognize these, quite the find around here. Maybe I'll make them into a sun tea later, if we stay here another day. We'll see." Kebri seems distracted by watching Khapya warm up. "I want to see if her talk turns into a good showing here, as she certainly looks capable enough."

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

Khapya stands next to her four competitors in the amateur shark “hunt”. There is a completely hairless man, a woman with long black hair that is closely cropped on either side, and an older man who has a long scar running down the length of his back. All of them appear to be in good shape, but they are dwarfed (and a little intimidated) by Khapya as she stretches beside them. On the far end of the line is a halfling, who doesn’t seem cowed at all. Rather, she grins at Khapya and makes a gesture that says, “I’ve got my eyes on you.”

Faruq stands at the edge of the water, the tide lapping around his ankles. “Ready… set… SWIM!” He drops his hand down, and the five competitors rush towards the sea as the crowd lets loose a mighty cheer!

Spoiler: The swimming competition
    Show
    The halfling who had been so confident almost immediately trips, as she swerves to avoid a crab that was scared out of the sand by the sudden stampede. The hairless man performs an elegant dive into the tide, but doesn’t seem to be swimming with any particularly urgency. The old man and the woman with the undercut, by contrast, take to the waves as if they were meant to be there. With efficient paddles, they cut through the water at a surprising speed.

However, in a matter of seconds, Khapya absolutely smokes them at a rate that rivals her speed on land. Several days of relatively uneventful travel have sharpened her desire to compete to a razor’s edge, and she lets loose all of that energy in a burst that makes it look as if she’s skipping over the ocean’s surface.

Swimming out the 150’ feet to the buoy, you see what makes this an amateur shark hunting competition- six people are paddling in a circle with shark fins affixed to their heads. When they see you, they quickly split up in an attempt to escape your grasp. Although two of them dodge your grip, you are able to wrap your hands around the arm of the third. They very dramatically pull the fin off their head, then point back to the shore and yell, “Swim for home!”

Even though she’s been swimming with incredible speed, Khapya has not lost an ounce of energy. She zips back through the water, passing the halfling at the halfway mark. As Khapya approaches the shore, the yell of the crowd gets louder and louder. When she places her foot on the beach, with the rest of the competitors far behind her, her arm is grabbed by Faruq and pumped in the air. She is quickly swarmed by the excited crowd, many of whom have never seen such an amazing display of athletics. Together, the crowd sweeps her over towards the stage.

Once atop the stage, Faruq shoos the people away to give the two of them some space. The rest of the participants join them on stage, with emotions ranging from sheepishness to reverence. "After a performance like that, I am honored to introduce our newest honorary shark hunter- the Indomitable Khapya!" As the cheers swell again, Khapya bends down to receive the winner's trophy: a tiara made of polished coral and sharks teeth. Faruq hands her a bag of coins worth 5gp as a bonus.

Spoiler: Khapya
    Show
    As you depart the stage, a half-orc dressed in colorful robes pulls you aside. ”That was quite an impressive performance,” his bristley handlebar moustache waving with his words. ”I managed to make quite a bit of money betting on you, but since it was your work that brought it to me, I figured I would pass some of it on. I’ve seen your work in the Carnivora, and I’ve been a fan for quite a while. Best of luck in your next competition!” As he grabs your hand in a heavy shake, he leaves a purse that is noticeably heavier than the one Faruq gave you. You gain an extra 25gp.

Show
    I’ll have another IC post up in a few days! Feel free to post your reactions to the race in the meantime. After the race finishes, people continue to clamor for a while as the official shark hunters prepare for their demonstration.
    Last edited by Strudel1000; 2020-08-17 at 06:19 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, it was good to move her limbs again properly! She enjoyed the feeling of the warm water as she cut through it, her prodigious physical strength powering her through the ocean. Quickly she seized a 'shark' and was back on land, shaking the water off her body just before the crowd gathered.

Beads of water gleamed on Khapya's tanned skin as she preened amongst the crowd. On the stage, she only let her natural charisma show more, and her teeth gleamed as she leant down to let the
    "Gyahahaha! That's right! It was a good match," she boomed magnanimously, "But alas for them, I am Indomitable Khapya, champion at the Carnivora! Come watch me fight, should you ever the chance, for you will find swimming the least of my talents!"

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Khap-ya! Khap-ya! Khap-ya!" chants Kebri along with the crowd, excited that her new acquaintance is the champion. "Indomitable!"

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Velkaria Lapidus
    Tiefling Warlock

"A remarkable show of prowess." Velkaria congratulates Khapya, clearly having enjoyed watching the event. Though she was in equal parts disappointed and relieved that there hadn't been actual sharks involved.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-08-18 at 05:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Ooduls!
    Tortle Cleric (Tempest)

Ooduls claps and cheers for the race. Both at the end and when the winner arrives to their group. "Well done! You swim as well as a tortle!"