New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Will you vote on this poll?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 34.48%
  • No

1 3.45%
  • Maybe

5 17.24%
  • Not a chance

4 13.79%
  • Never

4 13.79%
  • Abstain

5 17.24%
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Dice Roll subforum appropriate for voting?

Good day,

Would it be inappropriate to create a thread in the dice-rolling subforum not to roll dice for a PbP, but to be the place votes are submitted? I am conducting a consensus vote for the MitD thread at this time, and I cannot fail to notice that it's been almost 5 pages worth of small posts with random letters (immediately after 7 pages of post with votes for thread names, too). I know it's never been even hinted at that the mods have a problem with either, but I cannot help but feel like we are getting way too close to spam/bump rule violations.

On the other hand, we would obviously not be dice-rolling, thus my question.

Thank you,

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dice Roll subforum appropriate for voting?

Have you considered running the vote through a site like Strawpoll.me instead of posts?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Have you considered running the vote through a site like Strawpoll.me instead of posts?
    No, I hadn't, but I don't think it would work for me - I also want to associate votes to posters. I see that website has IP duplication checks but... yeah, I'm not sure I can really trust it. Heck, this days in which VPN is commonplace, I could probably vote three times without leaving my desk.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-07-20 at 05:20 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Posts in the dice rolling forum cannot be edited.

You can ask a mod to create a poll for you, as long as it is 20 options or less.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    That's actually a feature, and not a bug - one of the issue I have encountered is that I almost missed a few votes because they were added in edit after I had seen the post. Because of it, I am concerned that I may have missed some. Uneditable posts eliminates that issue.

ETA: Also, that poll you posted also doesnt' seem to allow me to change my vote, which is effectively the same?

You can ask a mod to create a poll for you, as long as it is 20 options or less.
    I'd have a couple of issues with that approach (although it is nice to know I could request it!): I would need to know all the options in advance (when it comes to titles, we build up the options during the vote), and I like to do preferential or approval voting, both of which allow multiple votes per person.

Still, thank you for offering the possibility.

Yours,

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-07-21 at 07:46 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I'd have a couple of issues with that approach (although it is nice to know I could request it!): I would need to know all the options in advance (when it comes to titles, we build up the options during the vote), and I like to do preferential or approval voting, both of which allow multiple votes per person.
    Normal users were forbidden from making polls back 12 - 13 years ago. I had honestly forgotten that they were a thing the board supported. I'm not sure if I will ever have use for a poll, but I will try to remember that they are an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Normal users were forbidden from making polls back 12 - 13 years ago. I had honestly forgotten that they were a thing the board supported. I'm not sure if I will ever have use for a poll, but I will try to remember that they are an option.
    That was before I joined, and I don't think I knew about it. What was the reasoning behind preventing non-mods from making polls?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

I just added an additional poll option.

You can allow multiple votes. People can then vote for multiple items, any number they choose (from one to all), though only once per item. This doesn't allow for instant run-off (preferential voting) or weighted voting (e.g. three votes, giving 3 points, 2 points, and 1 point respectively). There's no restriction on the number of votes, but if all votes are of equal weight you could manually verify that people only vote for the allowed number.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    That was before I joined, and I don't think I knew about it. What was the reasoning behind preventing non-mods from making polls?
    As memory serves it was one part spam reduction (there were some really, really dumb polls posted) and one part that polls take more resources than regular threads. I think they put in a "spam polls will be squashed" rule shortly after I joined, which reduced the dumb polls to almost 0, but then completely removed them during one of the "the forums have decided to corrupt the database, please hold while Rawhide rebuilds the connections*" incidents to save server resources

*, from scraps, IN A CAVE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #10

I just added an additional poll option.

You can allow multiple votes. People can then vote for multiple items, any number they choose (from one to all), though only once per item. This doesn't allow for instant run-off (preferential voting) or weighted voting (e.g. three votes, giving 3 points, 2 points, and 1 point respectively). There's no restriction on the number of votes, but if all votes are of equal weight you could manually verify that people only vote for the allowed number.
    Is there a way for someone to change their vote in a poll before it ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    As memory serves it was one part spam reduction (there were some really, really dumb polls posted) and one part that polls take more resources than regular threads. I think they put in a "spam polls will be squashed" rule shortly after I joined, which reduced the dumb polls to almost 0, but then completely removed them during one of the "the forums have decided to corrupt the database, please hold while Rawhide rebuilds the connections*" incidents to save server resources

*, from scraps, IN A CAVE!
    Ah, one of those times. That makes sense.