New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Optimism and Pessimism

Quote Originally Posted by Glorthindel View Post
    Like anything, the healthier position is always a shade of grey somewhere in between. 'Hope for the best, prepare for the worst' is my preferred attitude.

Pessimism in action can strangely be very liberating - my fiance is always a little perplexed with my attitude to impending problems; I always stop, go "so, what is the absolute worst that can happen here?", come to terms with how I would handle that, then go on with my day, safe in the knowledge that if the worst happens, I am prepared, and since it is very likely the worst wont actually happen, any 'lesser' consequences are perfectly acceptable to me. As long as you don't let yourself wallow in pessimism, a pro-active pessimist can have a pretty stress-free life!
    Your philosophy reminds me of a quote I heard before. "When you always expect the worst, than all surprises are good ones."
    Last edited by Tempist; 2020-08-21 at 03:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tempist View Post
    Your philosophy reminds me of a quote I heard before. "When you always expect the worst, than all surprises are good ones."
    It has definitely served me well this year! Despite a couple of big setbacks, I have managed to keep forging forward, to make the best of the mess (I feel that's the secret to being a good pessimist; don't let your expectations get you down, use them to galvanise yourself into action and position yourself to mitigate the expected damage).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Glorthindel View Post
    It has definitely served me well this year! Despite a couple of big setbacks, I have managed to keep forging forward, to make the best of the mess (I feel that's the secret to being a good pessimist; don't let your expectations get you down, use them to galvanise yourself into action and position yourself to mitigate the expected damage).
    But I would argue that that isn’t.. really pessimism, just being realistic. Pessimism would be expecting the bad things to happen all the time and only preparing for those? I might be wrong though.
    To be fair 2020 has somehow made me more optimistic and I have no clue why.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.