New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,490 of 1490
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

Ludo had won a victory he had been imagining for over a year... and in the end, all he really felt was tired. Perhaps he would be able to celebrate tomorrow. The sensible thing to do, he felt on arriving back at the camp, would be to curtail any celebrations, insist on as much sleep as could be had, and prepare for anything the following morning, but he didn't especially have the heart.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume we've run a bit ahead of Team Elsforza - the only thing I want to do immediately is check up on Ludo's message, and see if a messenger has been sent to Manaan's Keep yet.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Elsa tensed up a bit. "I am—you may call me Elsa. Court wizard to the current lord of the Reaches, Prince Muzio Sforza." She tilted her head. "You may keep your name to yourself... but nevertheless, I must ask again: for what purpose was Nakht-Horeb keeping you imprisoned inside a spell?"

She could not really trust the woman until some vital questions were answered.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    We're also about to need a new IC thread.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-04-30 at 05:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Jarla

Bitterly disappointed Jarla almost insisted she'd spend the night out here alone but seeing the exhaustion and misery of the others she wearily jpined them in the march back to camp.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

The woman floated still closer, seeming drawn to Elsa like iron to a lodestone. Thou know'st very little, for one who calls herself wise, she whispered. He bound me to take my tower for himself. To command my servants as he commanded me.

"She's one of them," said Valdes. "Stand back, Holt. Behind us!"

My name... my name was Samira, she said, with an air of triumph at having remembered. Samira of the Tower of Silence. This... this was my city. Still she drifted closer. Know'st thou what has become of my book?
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Elsa did as she was bid and took a few steps back to get behind the swordsmen's line.

"A book, eh?" she answered slowly. "I know of one particular book that has passed through many hands over the centuries and brought this land nothing but grief and death. Nakht-Horeb coveted it, and so it was sent far away from here."

Not strictly true yet, unless you considered Savonne to be far, but it would be true soon enough.

She chose her words carefully. "I am sorry for your city and your people, Samira, and that Nakht-Horeb would shackle you. Breaking your chains was not my purpose here, but I consider any deed that undoes the Jackal's works to be worth doing. If I convince my lord to depart Nath peacefully within the hour, will your people honor our truce?"

Though her voice was calm, she was ready for violence to erupt at any moment.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-04-30 at 10:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

...Peace? said Samira. The ghost of a smile floated across her face. What means peace to the dead? Even if they had their reason, they would not desire it. The Brotherhood men closed ranks in front of Elsa, presenting the points of their swords. They desire warmth, and life, and all the things thou hast that they can not.

Slowly, she began to drift to the left, circling as if to find a way to get closer still to Elsa. The Estalians turned with her, keeping themselves in between the two.

Thou know'st where it hath been taken, she said. The book upon which I built my tower, and by which it fell. She had circled so far now as to be between them and the stairs. I would dearly desire it back.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-01 at 04:27 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

I freed you. I freed you from your shackles, simply because I could, and already you make demands of me and threaten me.

Elsa cursed herself for assuming the enemy of her enemy would be her ally. She never should have touched that binding spell. Well, Samira was free now, and the wizard could see only one course of action left. Any more talking would only forestall the inevitable.

<Kill her,> she told the swordsmen in Estalian.

Already she was shaping a spell.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given the state of tension, I'm not sure if there's any chance of a surprise round, but I'll roll my first spell all the same.

Channeling 93: (d100)[54]
    Fireball 9+/12+: (3d10)[5][10][2](17)

Damage:
    (d10+4)[5]
    (d10+4)[11]
    (d10+4)[11]

Moderate damage, but I doubt even queen ghosts have enormous soak.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-01 at 07:59 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Samira seemed to sense the sudden pull of Aqshy towards Elsa, her tattered gown trailing out below her as she rose up into the air. Bolts of fire ripped into her insubstantial body, blowing her back as if she had no more weight than a veil of silk. Valdes lunged at her as she reeled, thrusting the point of his rapier through the spot where her heart would have been. She hissed in pain, but the blade passed through her as if she were made of so much air.

As Valdes' men charged forward behind their leader, the flesh faded away from her face, leaving only a skull wrapped in rotten skin. She opened her mouth and screamed - a sound that pierced through Elsa like a knife. The soldiers stumbled, clutching at their ears. Elsa thought she saw blood running between the nearest man's fingers.

As the wail died away, the sorceress' spirit jacknifed down out of the air, passing through the floor of the tower room and out of sight. All that she left behind were the staggering, white-faced Estalians, and a curl of smoke drifting on the air.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-01 at 08:55 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa struggled to maintain her balance. Her ears rang as if she had been resting her head on Filomena as it fired.

<We have to get out of this city! Right now!> she shouted, barely hearing her own voice. <She's going to rally all the ghosts!>
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-01 at 09:05 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

One of the Brotherhood men seemed to have lost his senses. His face chalk-white, he turned and bolted for one of the windows, though it must have been more than a hundred feet off the ground. Valdes and one of the others caught him by the arms, holding him back.

"Miguel," he said, catching the eye of one of the swordsmen who seemed to have kept his cool more than the others. He gave him a rapid order in Estalian, and the man saluted, running to the window that would have faced down into the square. Another curt order from Valdes, and the remaining Estalians formed a circle, swords pointing out in all directions - though some of the sword-points were trembling. The restrained man whimpered and struggled against the friends who held him, too frightened to even speak.

<DOWN BELOW!> Miguel shouted into the night. <THE WIZARD SAYS THEY ARE COMING! WATCH OUT!>

<It's five floors back to the ground,> said Valdes to Elsa. <Are you ready to move?>
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa nodded and tried to put some steel in her voice. <I'm good.>
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Nodding, Valdes led his men towards the head of the stairs. When the man they were restraining had regained some semblance of his sense, they formed up in a tight group, and began their rapid descent.

Nahorek's last spell had been broken, and the currents of Shyish suffusing the tower were now turbulent and untethered. As they passed down through the darkened room that held the casket, and into the library, Elsa thought she could make out an eddy in the Winds on the stairway ahead of them. Behind the shelves of scrolls, inside the wall itself, was something that drew the wind of death. Something that hadn't been there before...
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Oh, something really bad is coming...

But it was nothing that Elsa could really warn the mercenaries about. What good would it do, anyway? She was just glad they had the appropriate sense of urgency for the situation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Valdes and the Brotherhood kept moving, squeezed into a narrow file as they descended the stairs. As Elsa passed the spot in the wall where she had sensed a disturbance, a chilling shriek echoed through the library. The shade of Samira came lunging out of the wall, a long dagger in her hand as she flew straight at Elsa.
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-01 at 01:03 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa had no time to think; her mind reached for Aqshy by purest instinct.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is it. Either Samira dies, or it's the end for Elsa.

Channeling 93: (d100)[95]
    Fireball: (3d10)[10][8][10](28) - Minor Curse. But wow, that's a high casting roll. Guess the Winds know when it's do or die.

Damage:
    (d10+4)[7]
    (d10+4)[11]
    (d10+4)[10]

Is that enough damage? Fingers crossed...

A gout of fire surged from her gloved hand and slammed into the incoming ghost.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-01 at 02:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Samira wailed as the fires engulfed her, burning as her momentum carried her into Elsa. Elsa felt the heat of her own spell wash over her even as the spectral dagger plunged towards her heart. To Elsa's witchsight, the blade was a shard of pure Shyish, gleaming with lethal intent even as the consuming Aqshy ate it away. The killing cold kissed her skin, and the world around her went dark...

...She saw the room she was in, no longer ruined but resplendent in its full glory, lit by scores of black candles as a circle of robed figures stood chanting in its centre. The living figure of Samira stood at its centre, reading from a huge, horribly familiar tome. The walls around them shuddered with the echoes of some tremendous impact, a blaze of iridescent wyrdlight flaring outside the windows. Samira kept reading, speaking the Nehekharan words with unshakeable confidence.

A whirling pillar of
    Dhar was rising out of the pages of the book. Elsa could hear the whispers of dry, dead voices within it, speaking in the same forgotten tongue as Samira. Within the vortex of darkness, she thought she glimpsed the shimmering outline of a huge, crowned figure, reaching out a skeletal hand towards her.

Samira spoke the final words, her voice becoming strained and hurried as she struggled to contain the forces she had unleashed. In an instant, the whirlwind of power exploded outwards, becoming a dark gale that tore the souls from the chanters' bodies. Their hollow-eyed shades howled as it bore them on, blasting out through the open windows and over the city beyond...

Elsa came to surrounded by concerned faces. Reaching down a hand, Valdes helped her to her feet.

"Are you alright, señora?" he asked. "We thought we'd lost you for a second there."

Elsa looked around. She was not sure how long she had been out for, but no army of ghosts was pouring through the walls.

"Cursed thing was hiding in the wall," Valdes continued. "Looks like you killed it, though."
    Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-01 at 03:02 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

...Huh.

I'm alive?

Elsa leaned on a wall until her legs stopped shaking. That had been a very close one. Had she been a heartbeat too late... Had Aqshy abandoned her... Had she failed to sense a wrongness inside the walls...

"I had... a vision," breathed Elsa, shaken. "That woman and some others... They used the Book of Nagash to perform a ritual and kill every living soul in this city. Why... why would anyone do such a thing?"

She wiped the sweat from her brow with a sleeve. "I think... I think I saw Nagash himself."

In this moment she would pay a hundred crowns just for one minute to sit in the stairs and regain her bearings. Perhaps the ghosts would not converge on them after all; with their mistress destroyed, perhaps they would remain mindless and without a common purpose, as they had been since Nahorek's downfall. Still, she found it best not to wait and find out. She only had to get to her horse. And then to the camp. No rest until then.

"We need to keep moving."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2021-05-01 at 03:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

Valdes nodded in firm agreement. "Come on," he said. "This way."

Outside the tower, the Iron Company had formed three sides of a square around the tower, three walls of pikes pointing out into the gloom. The fog seemed like it was beginning to thin - out in the ruins beyond the edges of the square, Elsa thought she saw faint wisps of amethyst light, fading as they floated skywards.

Seeing Elsa and Valdes emerge from the door, Sforza turned to greet them.

<Your highness,> said Valdes, giving an instinctive salute. <Where are they? Did they come?>

<A few,> said Sforza, as if the spirits were no more consequential than animals. Behind him, Elsa could see Hechsler ministering to a good number of pale-faced and shivering pikemen. <We saw them off. Did you find anything?>

<Only madness,> said Valdes, <and death.> He looked back over his shoulder. <Some of my men are still searching the cellars. When they come up we should put this place to the torch.>

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pausing here to see if Elsa disagrees/if there's anything more she wants to bring out of the tower.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa

<We should hurry, gentlemen,> said Elsa, hooking Morrslieb's cage to her saddle. <Our weapons' blessings won't last forever. If we brought any oil or tar to help that tower burn, I'd start pouring it now.>

She noticed how the fog was clearing. Had this place's curse been lifted by Samira's destruction? Elsa remained determined never to come within sight of Nath in her lifetime.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground

Last edited by LCP; 2021-05-01 at 04:22 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb