New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

The Bloody Crown - Continued

In that dread desert, beneath the moon’s pale gaze, dead men walk.

They haunt the shifting dunes of the breathless, windless night, brandishing weapons of bronze in mocking challenge and bitter resentment of the life they no longer possess.

And sometimes, in ghastly dry voices, like the rustling of sun-baked reeds, they whisper the one word they remember from life. The name of the one who cursed them to their existence of more than death but less than life.

They whisper the name, Nagash.

OOC

Adelbert felt the goddess' anger as she answered his prayer.

You ask this of me now? To undo what you yourself have done?

The light of Verena lit up the darkness as blinding white shackles snapped around Hanna's wrists and ankles, making her stumble against a tree. Adelbert saw her eyes flash with unearthly colours as she looked back towards him - then, with one swift motion, she snapped the chains in two, the shackles disintegrating into many-coloured sparks. Adelbert felt a flood of guilt as she turned and ran into the woods, the scorn of his goddess stinging his soul.

If you wish to bargain with daemons, do not turn to me when they betray you.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The other PCs may be woken by the sound of this going on (player's choice), but by the time any waking character gets their bearings Hanna has already taken off into the woods with a fair head start.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

Sound asleep, Elsa felt the soft tug on the winds of magic from Adelbert's spell, but she ignored it at first. It was the sudden end of the spell, which felt like glass shattering, that made her awaken with a start. Adelbert was on his knees in prayer.

"What was that?" she whispered hoarsely. "Did you just cast something?"

The Verenan ignored her.

"Adelbert!" Elsa said, louder. "Why the blazes are you praying?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I figure it would be hard for Elsa to notice that one person out of 30 is missing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Even as tired as he was, Sieghard had been struggling to fall asleep. Too much had happened and there was too much risk of attack. It didn't take much commotion for him to wake and grab his sword.

"What's going on?" he demanded of one of the men on watch. He cursed after the man had explained and took off after Hanna.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it's not too dark/overgrown for it, Sieghard will mount his horse. Otherwise he goes on foot.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-07-24 at 09:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert did not reply, was possibly not even aware of Elsa's presence. His eyes were screwed shut and he was murmuring something in rapid and archaic Classical.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard's horse had been startled awake by the commotion. There was no time to saddle it - loosing it from the tree where it had been tied, Sieghard jumped up onto its back, kicking it into a gallop in the direction Hanna had disappeared. Sleeping Thorns sat up and looked blearily around as thundering hooves passed them by, tearing off into the darkened woods.

Sieghard crouched low over the horse's back, head down against the twigs that whipped at his face. Despite the darkness, he could make out movement through the trees up ahead - as his speeding mount gained ground, it resolved itself into Hanna, sprinting flat-out away from the camp. Urging the horse forward as fast as it could go, Sieghard ate up the distance between them. Twenty yards, sixteen, twelve...

Hanna glanced back over her shoulder as she ran, and Sieghard saw an unwholesome light glitter in her eyes. The horse clearly saw it too - it came to a halt as if Sieghard had reined it in hard, giving a whinnying scream as its hooves skidded through dead leaves and tangled roots. Sieghard had to cling on for dear life as it reared and kicked - it was doing its level best to buck him off.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This'll be a Ride test at -30 for Sieghard to stay on his horse (or, if you'd prefer, to dismount gracefully).
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-07-24 at 11:01 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Elsa and Adelbert were right, Sieghard realized. In his shock, he didn't notice his horse's terror until it was too late and landed hard on the ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Probably going to fall on his butt regardless, but we'll go for the graceful dismount.

(1d100)[44] vs 22

And that's a fail. Had some more I was going to have Sieghard say, but with the failure, I'm not sure if "Hanna" is sticking around or going to try running again.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-07-24 at 11:43 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard rolled to his feet, his sword still clutched tightly in his hand. Something wasn't right with his horse - it wasn't just spooked, its eyes were wild and rolling, foam flying from the corners of its mouth. Rearing back again, it tried to bring its hooves down on his head. Sieghard moved aside just in time - the horse's hooves came stamping down with bone-shattering force on the space where he'd just been.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack from the horse:
    (1d100)[64] - missed, (1d10+5)[9], SieghardParry - (1d100)[10]

Through the trees to his left, Sieghard could just about make out Hanna's receding figure. She was still running, deeper into the woods.
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-07-24 at 12:08 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard cursed. Whatever was wrong with his horse, he didn't have time to deal with it right now. He sidestepped the horse and continued after Hanna.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard runs after Hanna, using the trees to break up the path between him and the horse so it can't charge, and if possible to break line of sight between him and it as well. He does not want to get into charge range of Hanna, he's just trying to keep pace - if the horse is still coming after him, he'd rather deal with one at a time.

Horse attack
    (1d100)[9]
    (1d10+5)[13]

Dodge
    (1d100)[48]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Hooves flailed at Sieghard's head as he ducked out of the way, weaving through the trees in the direction he'd seen Hanna heading. The horse came thundering after him, yellow teeth snapping at his face. Falling back behind the cover of a tree-trunk, he watched as it charged off into the undergrowth, vanishing into the dark to the sound of snapping twigs and crazed whinnies.

Through the trees behind him, Ludo emerged at a brisk run. He stopped for a moment to stare at the twigs and leaves in Sieghard's hair, and his noticeable lack of a horse - but there was no time to spare. Up ahead, Hanna was just visible, still sprinting hell for leather into the trees.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo at least has already passed his chase rolls on foot - what do you want to do when you catch up to her?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo bombed past Sieghard. His short legs would have given him the disadvantage on the straight - and he was tired to his very bones - but here in the forest he could juke round trees faster than either of the humans, and was able to catch up with Hanna and hurl himself at her in an attempt to knock her down.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard darted forward, not far behind Ludo. "Stop, you bastard!" He shouted as he closed the distance, "I'm not letting you take her!" Right on Hanna's heals, he swung at her and then tried to restrain her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Getting ready to head out and I didn't get an answer to my OOC question, so I'm just going to roll now to not hold things up. Charge attack. First attack is a stun attempt, next two are grapples.

(1d100)[13] vs 81 to Hit (Charging, Street Fighting)
    (1d100)[1] vs 61 Str
    (1d100)[94] Hanna Toughness

(1d100)[80] vs 81 to Hit
    (1d100)[92] Hanna Ag

(1d100)[16] vs 81 to Hit
    (1d100)[72] Hanna Ag
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-07-25 at 02:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo's headlong leap knocked Hanna's legs from under her, sending the two of them rolling between the tree-roots. Hanna was stronger, her reach longer, but Ludo clung to her like a limpet - by the time she'd managed to peel him off, Sieghard had already caught up. He slammed the butt of his sword against her forehead - she stumbled, but didn't fall.

"Get off me!" she yelled, as Sieghard grabbed hold of her again. Kicking and biting, she managed to extricate herself from his grip, staggering a few yards back. She stood warily watching the two of them, tensed like a hare that had heard the hunters' horns - with both of them so close, turning to run would only show her back. Her face was scratched, her hair tangled with twigs and the litter of the forest floor from where Ludo had brought her down. She rubbed the rapidly-developing bruise on her temple where Sieghard had struck her. "What are you doing?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"Who's the ruler of the reaches, Hanna?" Ludo asked, drawing his crossbow and aiming it at her. It felt heavy in her hands, way heavier than mere fatigue would have done alone. "Answer the question."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the off chance that we have real Hanna back, a command test vs 72 (1d100)[52]
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-07-25 at 04:42 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard glared at Ludo. "We're here to bring her back and help her, not shoot her." He said. He looked to Hanna. "Answer his question, then explain what you were doing running away from camp in the night."

Spoiler
    Show
    No stun? Those were some good rolls from Sieghard.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, so what, you're going to shoot me now?" demanded Hanna, raising her hands. "Going to explain that one to the others? What's wrong with you two?" She took a step back. "At least when the wizard goes crazy she's got an excuse!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

"Why were you running away?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Schreiber thinks one of the daemons of Nath is possessing you," Sieghard said. "I didn't believe him, but I saw the daemon fire burning in your eyes. We're going to take you to the temple in Ravenskird. I'm not going to allow a daemon to turn you into its puppet."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-07-25 at 08:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"We've lost so many people," Ludo said, a crack in his voice. "Tell me we haven't lost you too,, Hanna, please."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Why were you running away?"
    "I just got up to take a leak, and the priest tried to put me in chains!" shouted Hanna, pointing an accusing finger back the way they'd come. "What was I supposed to think was happening?"

"Schreiber thinks one of the daemons of Nath is possessing you," Sieghard said. "I didn't believe him, but I saw the daemon fire burning in your eyes. We're going to take you to the temple in Ravenskird. I'm not going to allow a daemon to turn you into its puppet."
    Hanna opened her mouth as if to give another indignant reply, but she seemed to choke on the words. With a sudden cry of pain, she doubled over, clutching at her throat. The cry didn't end - it rose and rose, a strange, inhuman scream that made Ludo and Sieghard cover their ears as its weird echoes rebounded from the trees around them.

Quick as an arrow from a bow, a twisting rope of flame burst forth from her open mouth, casting long shadows from the trunks of the trees as it shot away into the forest. Ludo caught glimpses of eyes, mouths, and shifting, fungoid flesh within it; Sieghard only caught the suggestion of mocking laughter echoing inside his head. In a moment, it had disappeared out of view, only a fading light receding into the darkness of the woods.

Left behind, Hanna keeled over, falling senselessly to the ground.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard rushed forward, trying to catch Hanna as she fell. "Let's get her back to camp," he muttered, not quite sure what he just saw.

Spoiler
    Show
    She's just unconscious, right?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Hanna was still breathing. Slinging her over his shoulder, Sieghard stumbled back towards the camp. The sky was starting to lighten in the east - in a few hours, it would be dawn.

Seeing Sieghard and Ludo emerge out of the trees, a bleary-eyed Ingwald came walking over. "What's going on, sir?" he asked. "What - is that Hanna?"

As Sieghard set Hanna down, she was already beginning to come round, eyes fluttering open again. Instinctively, she clutched at her head, letting out a long, low groan.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Her brow furrowed in worry, Elsa watched Hanna pick herself off the ground. She had been fearing that Sieghard might have to kill her, and was glad he had managed to bring her back alive. Whether she was still indeed Hanna remained to be seen.

"Hanna," she said softly. "Who rules the Broken Reaches?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Still groggily clutching her head where Sieghard had hit her, Hanna mumbled something under her breath. Leaning in close so he could hear, Ingwald looked back to Elsa.

"Um, I think she said '**** you, that's who'," he said. "You feeling alright, Hanna?"

She was looking alright - to Elsa's second sight, the burning light that had clung to her earlier was gone.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"Something left her," Ludo said. "Like... fire that flew away. So maybe she's alright? We can ask her again later."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa's shoulders relaxed. It looked like they would not be needing an exorcism after all.

"My wizard's sight is not showing me anything out of the ordinary, this time. I don't know if she's alright, but I believe she's Hanna."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim looked around sluggishly at the commotion. He had barely said two words since coming to, with Ludo, after Jens and Katryn's rescue of them. His eyes barely seemed focused even now. He was staring through the world, perhaps seeing things more real than the scene around him.

He looked like death warmed up.

Perhaps determining that that there was no cause for immediate alarm, he slumped again. His eyes blinked vacantly, in waking sleep.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Poor girl wasn't herself," Sieghard told Ingwald. "She's probably sore, but the worst is past. She'll recover." He looked down at where Hanna was laying and muttered "Sorry about the... about... you know," and then tapped his head where he had struck her.

"Since you're awake, take a small group and find where my horse ran off to," he told Ingwald. "Don't approach it, just find it and come fetch me. Poor beast was acting crazed."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Ingwald gave Sieghard a look. "Since you're awake," he grumbled, sotto voce, "that's a good one."

A gaggle of bleary-eyed Thorns stumbled off into the trees to find Sieghard's horse, while Gustaf offered Hanna something from a flask that definitely wasn't company rations. She took a swig of it and grimaced, staring fixedly into the middle distance. "Knew it was a bad idea," she said at last, her voice a hoarse whisper, "smashing that jar."

By the time the sun was poking its nose over the horizon, Ingwald and his men had returned to the camp empty-handed. "Can't find it anywhere, sir," he said. "If it's run, it's kept running. What happened to it?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Half of us would be dead now if you hadn't," Sieghard reminded her, his tone sympathetic. He put a hand on Hanna's shoulder. "Though if I had known the danger, I wouldn't have put you through it. I'dve smashed the damn thing myself."

"Some daemon-light spooked it," he said once Ingwald had returned. "It threw me and tried to trample me once I was down."

Spoiler
    Show
    And how much worse might it have been if the daemon was controlling Sieghard. Maybe we can have Urgrim and/or Ludo try tracking the horse down once it's fully light. Still got wounded to bring back and I'd rather not lose another horse to something stupid.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-07-27 at 02:44 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

"We really should get moving already," said Elsa, rubbing her hands together to warm them up. "I know this wasn't much of a night's sleep, but we'll get better beds in Manann's Keep if we get there early. Perhaps Herr Sussman can even be convinced to let us sleep in the castle."

She munched on road rations and wet her parched throat with a few gulps of water. She still felt a sort of bone-deep weariness from Nahorek's spells, but the tender, blackened flesh on her arm was lightening to a purplish hue and already felt a bit firmer to the touch, which she took as a good sign.

Some wounds could not really be tended to. They had to heal on their own.

Finding a relatively private moment with Hanna while striking camp, she asked in a low voice: "Were you... awake the whole time? Or is there a hole in your memory?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    In case Hanna's still not in a mood to talk about it, here's a generic Fel 44 test: (d100)[33]
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-27 at 09:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: