New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

Sieghard

Sieghard looked down at his own wine cup for what seemed like an eternity. He couldn't read the papers. Surely they were lying to him about what was written on them... Weren't they? But what reason would all four of them have for going along with the lie? He knew the letters could've been faked - he had had Ludo forge one in the past - but it would be another thing entirely to fake a book bound in skin. He needed answers but didn't know who he could trust to get them from.

"You said there was a creature," he finally said. "Describe it. I'll tell you if it matches the ones conjured at Nath."

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know, that's a pretty impressive roll from Irene. Not enough to immediately turn Sieghard against Elsa, but I'd say it's given him some doubts and questions.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"The guards say it looked like one of the girl's goats, when they arrived at the scene," said Bianco. "But I'm led to understand that it... changed."

"It was a creature of Chaos," said Barbaro. "It grew to the height of the stable roof. Horns, teeth, tentacles everywhere. Breathing fire from every orifice." He shuddered. "We burned the body."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"It might have been the girl's goat," Sieghard said. "Before it was changed at least. It doesn't sound all that different from what happened to the horse." Which would mean it was Tshula's doing and all of this was his fault for ordering her jar shattered. The guilt hit him hard. "After the high priest arrived," he continued, "Was the daemon itself slain? Or just the goat?"

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, 27th Brauzeit

Barbaro looked to Bianco, who gave him nothing. “It looked dead to me,” said Barbaro. He shook his head. “It definitely wasn’t a goat any more when they brought it down.”

“There’s no need to go through it all now,” said Sforza, firmly. “Hildebrand will get her chance to explain herself at the court martial. Sieghard, we need you focused on the enemy we came here to fight.” Putting an arm around Sieghard’s shoulder, he turned him away from Bianco and Barbaro. “Your report was useful, but anything more you can remember will be useful to us. The terrain, the forces he has left to him - anything. I want you to ask your men who were there too, assemble as much information as we can.”

“It was a mistake to let that pig-headed sausage-eater take the command. You know I am not a man to repeat my mistakes.” He patted Sieghard on the back. “I’ve already dispatched messengers to Last Water to call back Valdes and the Maneaters. We have Evatt’s cannon and Alvarr’s siege catapults. Once our forces are assembled here, we’ll wipe this wretched necromancer off the map.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There’s going to be a bit of waiting around in Manann’s Keep before the court martial or anything else kicks off, and I imagine the PCs might have some conversations they want to have among themselves before the NPCs get up to any more tricks - how much time do you want to cover once this scene is over?

Angestag, 28th Brauzeit

Ludo & Adelbert

The next morning, Ludo went up to the Swanfeather workshop by the mine to see about getting woodcut prints of his poster, while Adelbert tried to be as inconspicuous as possible in making his rounds of the town, scrutinising the people of Sermena for any sign of enchantment.

Adelbert Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since their return from the desert, Adelbert had been feeling unsettlingly alone inside his own head. It was as if a sound he had become so used to that he no longer heard it had suddenly stopped.

Still, even if the goddess no longer spoke to him, the hidden world to which she had opened his eyes could not be unseen. He saw the turn of Morr’s hourglass in the turning of the season; he saw the footprints of Rhya in the wildflowers outside the village.

Klammenberg walked in the hidden world too. The traces he had left behind were subtle, but as he worked his way through the village, Adelbert began to pick them up. Ludo’s sister Petra had a black handprint over her eyes that appeared when her face was in shadow. A few of the old Tilean veterans who frequented the Rooster had eyes that appeared milky and blind when he mentioned the necromancer’s name. None of Valdes’ soldiers showed any sign of Klammenberg’s influence, however - that was something.

As the night drew in on Angestag, he watched the moons come out. As Morrslieb rose over the eastern hills, its sickly light picked out the silhouette of an enormous black hound standing on the ridgeline, watching him. Heartbeat quickening, he shrank back towards the doorway of the Rooster - but as Mannslieb rose in turn, he saw the black outline was just a spur of rock, one of the many that dotted the crater rim.

Relations with Odo seemed to have thawed a little, now that Ludo had made good on his promise to come back alive. Adelbert even thought he caught the occasional glimmer of guarded pride in the elder Stubbs’ eyes as it became apparent how instrumental Ludo was in the Lord-Lieutenant’s plans. Sermena was rapidly becoming less crowded as soldiers were dispatched to Mirino and Isolici, only the Gamecocks and the Maneaters remaining behind to man the watch over the desert approach. Adelbert had no idea if Klammenberg’s glamours would work on an ogre, but he would have liked to see him try...

Wellentag, 30th Brauzeit

Ludo

The first batch of Ludo’s prints were ready on Festag, so it was Wellentag morning when he set off for Mirino, the three Thorns in tow. Moltke and Jenssen remained behind with Adelbert - earnest as ever, Moltke had diligently signed them up to take watches alongside the Gamecocks on the south slope. Ludo wasn’t sure what the halfling archers would make of the two Morrites, but he was sure Petra would tell him on his return.

They got into Mirino late in the day. While the Thorns took the weight off their feet, Ludo convened with Nat and the Brotherhood men who had been sent back the day before, showing them the posters and explaining how to use them. As he was in the process of explaining, he noticed one of Nat’s men was blinking and squinting at the handbill rather intently.

Nat noticed it too. “What is it, Pavel?” he asked. “Something caught your eye?”

“Nothing,” said the soldier, still squinting at the piece of paper in Ludo’s hand. “It’s just… no,” he blinked, “he didn’t look like that.” He paused. “He didn’t look very like that…”

“Spit it out, Pavel.”

“The old rag-collector down the road. I saw a stranger going into his shop. Didn’t seem that remarkable, but you know, precious few people go in there to begin with.” He scratched his head. “It’s funny, I’d forgotten it until just now.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

30th Brauzeit
    Ludo's heart was suddenly beating faster. "When was this? When did you see him?"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

"Think it must've been yesterday," said Pavel. He nodded to himself, as if he hadn't been sure before. "Yeah. Yesterday night."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ludo & Adelbert

Before Ludo left the village Adelbert confided to his friend what he'd discovered. 'I think your sister Petra and a few of the Tilean grognards had their memories fogged by Klammenberg but none of Valdes's men. At least that I can observe. I'll keep my eyes peeled while you're away.

The ex-priest drew in his robes and looked uncomfortable. In many ways it seed like he hadn't been comfortable in his own skin for a long time. For the next few days he kept up his watch for anything ominous around the village, largely avoiding Moltke and Jenssen - he felt even less comfortable around the Morrites than he did around others.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Adelbert - 30th Brauzeit, Morning
    Ludo had been loading up his borrowed pony for the journey: he had been wondering if another big farewell to his father and Petra would be appropriate, but wasn't honestly expecting to find anything, and would be back in a few days. "That's not nothing. Sounds like I was right that he can't just walk around with it on the whole time. The Tileans, you said... friends of the ones who went into the desert maybe."

He sighed. "Or maybe he just wiped the memories of the people who went, and he escaped days ago."

He loaded up his pony and nodded to Rike as she arrived, laden down with waterskins. "Still worth handing out the posters, though. Can you keep an eye on things here?"

Ludo - 30th Brauzeit, Afternoon
    Nearly a full day ago. Still, it was the closest they'd got so far. "Close the gate. Nobody leaves through that route. I want to see everyone who's been on watch on the gate since yesterday afternoon, and a fast horse ready to go as soon as we can make it."

"Now! Please! Quickly."

He took a swig of water and beckoned Rike and her men to him. "I'm going to talk to this rag-collector."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit (Mirino)

Nodding, Nat rose and immediately began putting Ludo's orders into action. Armed and alert, Rike and the two Thorns followed Pavel down the hill to where he'd seen the man that may or may not have resembled Ludo's woodcut. As they approached the door, Ludo immediately realised what 'rag-collector' he was talking about - this was old man Krucke's house.

The door was closed, the windows shuttered. Rike looked to Ludo.

"Are we going to knock, or..."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

"Be ready," Ludo warned. "Johan, head out that way so you have a view of the back of the house. Krucke had a spare room, he might be staying there. Hans, if things kick off, it's your job to get back to town and get reinforcements here."

He stepped forward and knocked on the door - firmly, but trying not to sound too much like an armed militia. "Herr Krucke? Are you home?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo's crossbow is not drawn but is loaded.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

No answer came from within.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo tried the handle without much expectation. If it didn't work, he'd have to break it down... or more likely get Hans to.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do the shutters close/latch from the outside? If so, Ludo will open a shutter and look inside before going for the door.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

The door appeared to be locked. Pulling himself up to the window, Ludo fiddled with the shutters. They weren't designed to be opened from the outside, but he got them open anyway.

Krucke's windows were dirty, and the inside of the house was dark - but Ludo's eyes were sharp. Through the grimy glass, he could just about make out the dark mounds of second-hand clothing that constituted Krucke's 'wares', and in the corner, the figure of the old man slumped in a high-backed chair. He looked like he was sleeping. Ludo hoped he was sleeping.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo swore and pounded on the window, hoping to wake Krucke, at the same time gesturing for Hans to kick the door in.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

No matter how loudly Ludo hammered on the window, Krucke didn't stir. Taking a big run-up, Hans threw himself at the door. It took three tries to break it down: clearly the old man had invested in some serious locks.

At last, the hinges gave, and the door fell in. Light flooded into the musty old house, and Krucke jerked awake, shielding his eyes with a startled cry. At the same time, a black ball of fur and claws flew at Hans from under one of the tables, scratching and clawing as it clung to his face. The big Thorn staggered about for a moment or two before Rike managed to help pry it off and fling it away. Still hissing like a kettle, Mannfred shot up the side of an old cabinet and perched at the top, his back arched and his tail bristling like a bottle-brush.

"Whu - what's going on?" demanded Krucke. He was looking even more unkempt than usual - his eyes were bleary and bloodshot, and his grimy grey stubble was practically a beard. At his feet was an empty bottle of what looked like Marek's best brandy from the Chalice, and a strong smell of alcohol pervaded the room. He tried to get to his feet, swayed, and steadied himself against the wall. "Y'can't just come barging in here! This is my property!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

"Have you seen this man?" Ludo asked brusquely, holding up the poster. "It's an emergency and you didnt answer the door. Do you recognise this man?"

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

"I'm not answering no... blithering questions from folk who come barging into my house!" said Krucke, groping around for his stick. He was slurring his words a little. "Ain't a man entitled to a little peace alone? Off with you! You pack of apes!" He squinted at the handbill as if he was having a hard time making it out. "Who's that s'posed to be anyway?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

"A dangerous criminal," Ludo said carefully, trying rather harder to moderate his voice this time. "Apparently he came here yesterday... please, Herr Krucke, if you've seen him, we need to know."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Charm test: (1d100)[42]

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

Krucke raised a wiry eyebrow. "There a reward?" he asked.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

"For information leading to his capture, yes." Ludo said. It was technically true, nobody had yet claimed the reward that the dwarves and Sforza had set, though by now it would need to be spread pretty thinly. He turned to Rike. "Can you check the other rooms?"

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

Mannfred hissed loudly at Rike as she stepped forward. Krucke just stood there, pausing for a moment in thought.

"I don't know if he's who you're lookin' for," he said at last, "but 'e's upstairs."

Ludo looked up the stairs. They were cheap, rickety and narrow - they would only be able to climb them in single file. If Klammenberg was up there, he was sure to have heard them enter.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo's heart was beating heavily in his ears. He lowered his voice carefully. "Hans? Now's the time to get some people from town. Run."

Once Hans was gone, Ludo stepped back to the remains of the door, closed it, and stood with his back to it. Nobody was getting out of the house without physically moving him aside.

He opened his mouth to call up the stairs... and then turned sideways to give Krucke another long look, and a glance at Mannfred too. He was no expert on feline body language... but how was the cat feeling about his master? Shadow magic was illusion, wasn't it.

"What did he say his name was?" he asked Krucke, in a low voice, hoping to keep him talking.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Big fat perception test on Krucke please. Ludo met him a fair bit, even if that was a while back. Is he acting strangely? Is his voice or body language different? Mannfred was hissing at the Thorns - is he also reacting strangely to Krucke?

(1d100)[61] vs 58, re-roll (1d100)[32]
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-09-09 at 08:20 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

"Nichts," said Krucke. "Herr Nichts." He slumped back into his chair and shrugged his crooked shoulders. "Didn't look like much of a dangerous criminal to me, but you never know, do you?"

Mannfred's attention was still focused wholly on the newcomers - the cat showed no signs of paying any attention to his master. Krucke still seemed as Ludo remembered him; the lank hair, the surly attitude, the avaricious gleam in his eye. He didn't seem at all to share Ludo's sense of urgency - reaching down to pick up the bottle at the foot of his chair, he inspected it to see if there were any stray drops left at the bottom, and seemed rather disappointed when there weren't.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo shifted position so he could see towards town out of the window, before carefully raising his voice. "Herr Klammenberg?"

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

No answer came from upstairs.

"Klammen-what?" said Krucke. "I told you, he's called Nichts." Shifting his grip on his stick, he used it to thump on the ceiling, the exact same way he'd done when Adelbert had been his lodger. "Nichts!" he yelled. "Get down here!"

There was still no answer. Krucke's face crumpled into a frown.

"He thinks because I'm old I won't go up there to roust him out," he grumbled. "Well I will. He'll see." His eyelids drooped in the manner of the very tired or very hungover. "Just... in a minute."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo swore again, and wished Adelbert was with him to inspect Krucke's eyes. Was this a new trick that Klammenberg could do?

He looked to Rike. "Hold the door," and started climbing the stairs carefully, crossbow in hand.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

However carefully he placed his steps, the old stairs groaned beneath Ludo's feet as he climbed towards the garret room above, sending fine plumes of dust floating down. Reaching the top, he peered slowly around the edge of the door.

A man in dusty travelling clothes was lying on the bed, eyes closed and hands folded over his stomach. A sturdy-looking walking stick and a good-sized backpack were propped against the foot of the bed, while on a chair next to it lay a long, thin object wrapped up in rags. On a table in the corner were a selection of fresh supplies - from the looks of things, provisions for a long journey, freshly bought. There were a few luxuries in there too - a jar of sweet preserves, a bottle of good spirits, a packet of pipeweed.

The man on the bed looked nothing like the urbane, well-dressed scholar Ludo remembered. His hair was longer, with a streak of grey where there had been none before. His beard was no longer neat and trim - it spread wings of stubble up the sides of his face, which was wind-worn and sun-burned. Still, Ludo would have known that face anywhere. It was Klammenberg.

Slowly, Klammenberg opened one eye to look at him. "Herr Stubbs, I presume," he said, not stirring from the bed.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo aimed his crossbow directly at Klammenberg's open eye. "Herr Klammenberg. You're not looking good. Is this another illusion or have you finally run out of road?"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, 30th Brauzeit

Klammenberg screwed up both eyes and grimaced. "Oh, put that away," he said. Stiffly and slowly, he swung his legs off the edge of the bed and sat up, before holding his hands out palm-open towards Ludo and waggling his fingers to show he wasn't holding anything.

"I'll admit, you have been making life... exceptionally difficult for me, lately. Congratulations." He looked around the room. "I think you're going to let me go, though."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo craned his ears, listening for any sound of Valdez or Nat and their men coming up the hill. "He's up here!" he called down to Rike. "If he comes down there, shoot him."

He returned his attention to Klammenberg. "So what do you mean? Is this an offer I can't refuse or are you going to ensorcel me like you did my sister?"