New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

Sieghard, 27th Brauzeit

“I hope you’re right,” said Hechsler. He reached over and patted Sieghard on the shoulder. “If she’s innocent, I’m sure the gods will protect her. Sigmar knows, we need a wizard on our side.”

Sieghard, Elsa & Urgrim, 28th Brauzeit

The next morning, Elsa and Tattie were rudely awoken by the bang of the trapdoor, and a sudden flood of light from above. Six Iron Company men came trooping down the steps to bundle them to their feet. Father Barbaro accompanied them, looking nervous and unhappy.

“I’ve been told to tell you… you, ah, you’re to stand trial today. Prince Sforza will give you the opportunity to hear the charges against you, and defend your actions if you can.” He swallowed. “I’m also to tell you… that if you try to cast any enchantment, these men will act without hesitation.”

Elsa looked round at one of the Iron Company men beside her - a big Tilean with a face like a brick. He met her gaze and drew his sword about an inch out of its scabbard.

The two of them were led up the steps and out through a Manann’s Keep that was now bustling with military activity. The court martial had been convened at the fort, in Evatt’s audience chamber. Sforza sat in a high-backed chair behind a long, folding table, flanked by Al-Makir and Doctor Bianco. Two chairs had been set out for the accused facing them.

Iron Company men were posted all around the room, armed and armoured. The doors were open, and a number of onlookers were seated around the edges - Elsa saw the priests, and the old Dwimmulson dwarf, as well as Irene Sforza sitting with her servants. The Principessa met her gaze and held it as Elsa was marched in and pushed down into her chair, the Iron Company men remaining behind her with their hands on their weapons. Looking to her left, she could see the same precautions were being taken for Tattie.

Sforza raised a hand, and the gentle murmur of voices died away. He nodded to Bianco, and the black-robed physician rose, holding a sheaf of papers in his hand.

“Beatrix Hildebrand,” he said, in solemn tones. “You are accused of communion with daemons. You are accused of betraying your Prince, and exposing him and his court to mortal danger.” He looked her straight in the eye. “Do you plead guilty or not guilty to these charges?”

One of the guards behind her reached forward and untied her gag.

Marktag, 32nd Brauzeit

Ludo & Adelbert

It was very late on Marktag when Adelbert and the others arrived in Mirino, Odo having taken much of the morning making sure his arrangements were in perfect order before leaving. The elder Stubbs had also packed an inordinate amount of luggage, which they carried with them on the back of an elderly pit pony called Daisy.

Valdes greeted them at the gates of Sforza’s palace. “Father Schreiber,” he said, with a respectful inclination of his head towards Adelbert. “Señora Stubbs. I imagine you’ll want to be seeing the prisoner?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-09-16 at 05:40 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa had no intention to resist. She had had hours in the darkness to reflect upon her situation, and while she was no closer to figuring out why she had been arrested, she was determined to make sure Tatiana survived this. It was Elsa's fault in the first place if Tatiana was embroiled in this; the girl had only wanted to care for her goats, not deal with magic and the undead.

“Beatrix Hildebrand,” he said, in solemn tones. “You are accused of communion with daemons. You are accused of betraying your Prince, and exposing him and his court to mortal danger.” He looked her straight in the eye. “Do you plead guilty or not guilty to these charges?”
    Elsa just blinked in confusion. Communion with daemons? Where had that come from? Had someone fabricated evidence against her?

"I – I don't even know what you're talking about."

She paused and cast a glance at Sieghard and Urgrim, wondering if they knew anything about this. They were there when Tshula was freed from her jar and helped them escape Nath; was this all related to Tshula? Elsa was no more responsible for this than they were. Or they were just as responsible as she was, depending on whether you considered a daemonic rescue to be 'communion with daemons'. But what did that have to do with Tattie or Sforza?

"Not guilty. But I can't bloody well defend myself if no one's telling me what the f*ck is going on."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Reminder that Elsa has no idea whatsoever of the Savonne incident.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Manann's Keep, 28th Brauzeit

Bianco looked to Sforza. Sforza nodded.

"So you claim no knowledge of the creature your apprentice released in Savonne," said the doctor. "For the benefit of this hearing, I will summarise the facts."

"On the night of the twentieth, Magister Hildebrand's apprentice was discovered in the castle courtyard, attempting to dig up the Book of Nagash. She had incapacitated the two men on watch by means of magic, and she was accompanied by a goat. When the alarm was raised, this animal mutated, killing three men and injuring several more, including the High Priest of Verena. Had it not been for the bravery of His Highness' soldiers, it would have posed a threat to the Prince and Princess themselves."

Setting down his papers, Bianco looked around the room.

"When the Chaos beast had been destroyed, the Prince authorised a search of Hildebrand's rooms. There were found certain letters she had written, discussing the matter of daemons that appeared to her and encouraged her to do..." - he looked down over the top of his spectacles at the notes on the table - "'terrible things'. Also found in her chambers was this book."

Pulling on a pair of gloves, he reached into a black cloth bag and produced the book Elsa had taken from the Lost Library, holding it up for all to see - a heavy grimoire, bound in hairy human skin. She saw the disquiet on the faces of the priests turn to disgust as Bianco opened it, showing the shrivelled human face flattened against the inside cover.

"As you can see, not an ordinary volume," said Bianco, setting it down again. "Its subject matter is how to bind and bargain with daemons. Days before the incident in the courtyard, we received warning from one Signor Jotunnsson that a daemon had been released from the ruins south of here, and had made its way to Savonne for purposes unknown." He looked back to Elsa. "You were present when the daemon was released. It assisted your apprentice in the attack. You keep books of daemonology and leave written confessions in your chambers. What part of these proceedings is unclear to you?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-09-16 at 10:16 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert and Ludo

Even before he'd set out Adelbert had been kicking himself for bringing along Odo. The sight of Mirino was unlikely blessing.

'Thank you Signore Valdes,' Adelbert said. 'Is Herr Ludo Stubbs with the prisoner? I want to speak with him first.'

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa felt her stomach drop as Sforza described the events. Had they not cast the daemon out of Hanna? Why had no one told her that the accursed spirit had made its way to Savonne? At the sight of the letters, she cursed herself for not destroying them. They were several months old; certainly no longer relevant.

"I found this book in the Lost Library," she said slowly. She found necessary to stress: "Same place where we found the other Book."

She paused. "However, I don't know that I've confessed to anything, apart from having visions. Like all wizards do. Should I have let you know about them? If you dreamed of daemons tempting you with power, who would you tell? Your wife? Your priest?"

All of her heart wanted to defend Tatiana, but she refrained from doing so for now. There was perhaps a way to get her apprentice off the hook... a terrible way that Elsa did not like to think about... but this way would not work if Elsa seemed to care too much about Tatiana.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

"A priest would seem like a good place to start," said Bianco, drily. "Traditionally I believe it's an old priest, a young priest, a bell, a book and a candle."

Picking up one of the letters, he walked out in front of the table and read aloud:

"Ever since the Battle of Arrow Heap, I have been watched by daemonic beings visible only to me. They demand that I do unspeakable things in exchange for more arcane power." He looked up at Elsa. "You don't deny these are your words. What were the 'unspeakable things' they wanted you to do?" He raised an enquiring eyebrow. "Things involving the Book of Nagash?"

Elsa noticed that Al-Makir looked uncomfortable every time that Bianco said the name of the Great Necromancer aloud.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

"The point is moot, because I did none of what they asked me to do," said Elsa, trying to keep her voice calm despite her outrage that people had been rifling through her things. "They tried to tempt me... and then they started threatening me... and then one night I told them to get f*cked. That's why I wrote the letter in the first place; because I was terrified they would punish me for denying them. If I died under strange circumstances, I wanted my friends to know why. Does the letter not mention this? It's been a long while since I wrote it. But anyway my fears were unwarranted, as the... spirits did not show themselves again. For all I know, maybe it was just a bad dream."

She felt terrible that Sieghard had to learn of it this way. She should have told him face to face, instead of writing a stupid letter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Bianco held her gaze for an uncomfortably long time.

"I think perhaps we can do without the profanity," he said at last. "Maybe it was a bad dream. The creature your apprentice... unleashed, is this a part of your dream also?" He folded the letter over. "To the three men who are dead, I think it was decidedly real."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, so sorry about the profanity, I didn't realize there were small children in attendance!

"This letter I wrote," said Elsa slowly, "has nothing to do with... what happened in Savonne. I had no idea of the Savonne event until you told me. And I can assure you that Tatiana does not have the power to bring creatures of Chaos into the physical world. I had barely started teaching her a magical language, for Sigmar's sake. Whatever happened back there, you cannot convince me that she did it of her own free will."

She paused. "I trust you left enough forces behind to protect the Book? Whatever did this, will attempt it again."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-09-16 at 12:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

"We are here to discuss your actions," said Bianco, firmly. "You present yourself as an authority on what your apprentice can or can't do. But you're not, are you? We call you 'Magister Hildebrand', but both of those words are convenient fictions."

"Early this year, an agent of Sigmar's church came seeking you from the north. In trying to track you down, he abducted and interrogated the Prince's own chaplain. Father Barbaro, will you repeat for the hearing what signor Teufelssohn told you about the accused?"

Barbaro cleared his throat. "He, um... he told us... he told me she was not a licensed wizard. She was a runaway apprentice." He cleared his throat a little more. "A fugitive. She, ah, she was accused of killing another wizard."

"And her name, Beatrix Hildebrand - this is not her real name, is that correct?"

"Correct," said Barbaro, nodding. "It was a name she assumed... because she was already known to the other princes of the Reaches. Her name is Elsabeth Holt."

"It seems clear then from her example that apprentices are capable of meaningful feats of magic," said Bianco, turning back to Elsa. "And this wizard you killed, were they the last? Or have there been more?"

He picked up the hairy book.

"The witch of Painford, Beatrix Fassbender, died in a magical fire while you were 'helping' her with her research. Was that before or after you obtained this book?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

The new accusation struck Elsa like a physical blow. Was she truly suspected of murdering Fassbender? "I was trying to complete her work and save her life," she protested vehemently. "And I failed. Her death has been weighing on me ever since. You saw her; she was already dying and bedridden. You know that if I... if anyone had wanted her dead, they wouldn't have needed to set fire to a whole room. In fact, all they would've needed to do was nothing at all. That's why I took the chance to cast a ritual; because she had nothing to lose at this point."

She was silent for a moment. "That was after the Lost Library, of course," she said, in an oblique answer to the question about the hairy book. "Her condition had worsened."

She did not deny anything about being a runaway from the Colleges. Sforza had likely known for a while.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-09-16 at 01:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo had in fact spent much of the day at the gate, and was mere minutes away from sending out another messenger - Rike and Ortwin had reminded him seperately that his father was hardly likely to leave immediately. As soon as the word came round that Adelbert had arrived, he ran to the gate - and sighed with relief to see both Petra and his father both intact.

"I - why didn't you come yesterday? Never mind, it's good to see you both well."

He hugged Petra and shook his father's hand, scrutinising them both for any sign of necromantic horror, before greeting Moltke and Jens. Finally, he turned to Adelbert and tried to calm himself down.

"I don't think we should talk to him until we meet up with Elsa as well. I don't want to give him a chance to cast a spell, or to... he can be pretty persuasive. I'm not letting him say a word."

Ludo didn't mention his other thought, which was that Klammenberg was unlikely to try any spells or curses without attempting to use them for leverage first.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

"It's true, Fassbender was sick," said Bianco. "The only reason to kill her in such a way would be if someone needed her to die sooner. Perhaps, because she'd discovered something she wasn't meant to? Something only a wizard could know."

"On Geheimnisnacht of last year, you go to this library, which was, by your own account, infested with daemons. Somehow," - again the doctor arched his eyebrow - "you escape, bringing with you both the Book of Nagash, and this book." He gave the book in his hand one final wave before setting it back down on the table. "You inform his Highness about the first book, but tell no-one about the second. Shortly afterwards, Fassbender has her 'accident'. Some time after that, you pen these letters, suggesting you are in regular communication with daemons. You appoint yourself the keeper of the Book of Nagash, and make sure you are involved in every step of the measures taken to keep it safe."

He pressed his hands palms-together in front of him. "You take his Highness' soldiers on a dangerous expedition into the Giant's Teeth to secure the services of this girl, but you then leave her largely unsupervised in Savonne while you accompany the Knights of Morr south. In the ruins of Nath, we have it on the authority of signor Jotunnsson that you are present at the summoning of a daemon. The daemon makes its way north to Savonne, but as his Highness' court magician, you make no attempt to intercept it. And then, when the apprentice you left behind is caught red-handed trying to make off with the book, what appears to all observers to be a daemon of Chaos manifests to assist her." He spread his hands in appeal. "There is only one explanation that fits the facts. You have your own designs on the book, and you have fallen into league with daemons to make them real. Possibly since your return from the Library. You have made this girl your accomplice, and you have focused our attention on the necromancer to disguise your own intentions until you were ready to make your move - or until he forced your hand." He tilted his head slightly to one side. "Can you deny it?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sforza had likely known for a while.
    Elsa knows how long Sforza's known about it, they had a conversation about it after the witch hunter incident.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa took a deep breath. Whatever she was going to say next, she had to weigh her words carefully. The facts indeed appeared to be very much against her, even though they were largely unrelated to one another.

"I deny it. The conclusion at least."

"I found this hairy book in the Lost Library," she said slowly and deliberately, "and I did not tell anyone about it. I know it would have been wise to destroy it; I trust it will be done now."

"At some point I believed that dangerous spirits were threatening me. I did not do their bidding." This was not altogether true; they had been the ones encouraging her to go to Harmugstahl. But adding this wrinkle would only make her story more complex still, and therefore less believable. "I told those spirits to leave me alone. To my surprise, they did. I've seen no sign of them in quite a while. For all I know, they might have been the figment of overwork, mental exhaustion from multiple battles, drinking, and whatever the Shallyans gave me for the pain in my arm after the vampire almost tore it off."

In normal times, someone claiming to hear disembodied voices would be thought insane. Elsa was unlucky enough to be one of those people who would have trouble retracting an evidenceless claim that spirits spoke to them. Was it too late to attempt it anyway? Certainly no one could prove that those spirits existed.

"When the Morrites went south to confront Nahorek and his minions, I left Tatiana in Savonne because she is untested in battle. After the disaster in Nath, I am indeed very glad she was nowhere near that accursed place. In hindsight I should at least have taken her with me to Manann's Keep, but she seemed so happy in Savonne. She had friends there. She helped with the horses. Lady Sforza was kind to her. I thought I was doing her a favor by giving her some time off."

"I had no idea until today that the daemon we met in Nath had made its way to Savonne." She resisted the urge to glare at Sieghard and Urgrim for failing to mention this important fact. "I thought we'd expelled it from the physical plane after escaping Nath. If it went to Savonne, then it must have possessed Tatiana. And if it's still there, it will try to possess someone else until it gets what it wants."

"I did not try to steal the book. In fact I was an early advocate for getting the dwarfs' help to protect it. Their rune magic and their craftsmanship are almost impenetrable; even Nahorek, at the height of his power on Geheimnisnacht, could not crack the chest open. The idea that I'd even think of trying to succeed where he failed, while I was not even physically present in Savonne, is ludicrous; as is the idea that, upon my inevitable failure, I would just remain in Manann's Keep and wait to be arrested."

She glanced at Bianco. "Doctor, would you be so kind as to read the letter in full? I think the part you picked does not tell the whole story." As far as she remembered, the letter at least implied her intention to reject the daemons' offer.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's here if you need it.

"As you can see, not an ordinary volume," said Bianco, setting it down again. "Its subject matter is how to bind and bargain with daemons.
    Did the hairy book truly contain instructions about daemon-summoning? I remember that you ruled it could be used to acquire Academic Knowledge (Daemonology), but IIRC, the book with ritual instructions was the one we found under Harmugstahl. Which Elsa burned on the same night she rejected the daemons.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-09-16 at 05:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #375

BlackDragon

Adelbert and Ludo

'Hmm, personally I'd have killed him on the spot but I suppose a hanging in Savonne can also work. Congratulations on the capture my friend,' Adelbert said, smiling at Ludo's obvious joy at seeing his family again. 'We best at least keep him gagged, blindfolded and bound while bringing him to Elsa - and for that matter stopper his ears with wax. The less he knows about the transportation the better.''

He glanced at Ludo's sister and father and lowered his voice so that only his friend could overhere. 'I couldn't detect any curses on either of them, just what I think was the magic he used to make Petra foregt him. Still it seemed wisest to have Elsa look over them.'

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

"I will continue my questioning," said Bianco. "And it does not help your defence when you attempt to mislead us. You would not need to open the chest by force. Unlike the necromancer, you have the key."

Among the spectators, Skorgrund's face darkened.

"You admit it would have been wise to destroy this book, but you didn't," the doctor continued. "You admit to communing with daemons, but claim you refused them. Would you describe yourself as accustomed to resisting temptation?" He paused expectantly. "You must be aware that your reputation is not one of austere sobriety."

"Strangest of all, you say you had no idea until today that this daemon had escaped you. But signor Jotunnsson did. Isn't it your duty as his Highness' court wizard to know these things?" Bianco was speaking a little louder now, making sure his point was clearly heard. "Can you please describe for us the exact circumstances in which you encountered this creature?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

"He might know something useful," Ludo said. "I didn't manage to get much information from him, but that was when he thought he had the upper hand. I'll go through it with you at some point."

Sotto voce, he added "No offense, but this is the kind of thing you get a second opinion on. He tried to use the method to break the curse as a bargaining chip, so maybe it's a more complicated thing... or something hidden in the house, or something that doesn't appear until he dies."

"I've got the staff he went into the ruins for in lockup, but I haven't touched it in case it's half as nasty as the book. I figured you'd be better than me at figuring out what's up with it."
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-09-17 at 04:39 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "I will continue my questioning," said Bianco. "And it does not help your defence when you attempt to mislead us. You would not need to open the chest by force. Unlike the necromancer, you have the key."
    Elsa gritted her teeth at Bianco's refusal to consider all the evidence. This trial was starting to look like a sham.

"I have the key, yes. But Tatiana does not. What do you think was my plan? Have a young girl drag the chest all the way to Manann's Keep with the Prince's armies in hot pursuit? If I'd wanted to steal the Book, I'd have done so myself... and before we put it behind all those walls and locks. If memory serves, after the Lost Library expedition, I was initially the one struggling to convince then-Captain Sforza that the Book needed special protection."

"You admit to communing with daemons, but claim you refused them. Would you describe yourself as accustomed to resisting temptation?" He paused expectantly. "You must be aware that your reputation is not one of austere sobriety."
    Elsa just scowled and did not respond to the low blow.

At least I don't indulge in the drugs you produce, Doctor. That's one vice I don't have.

"Can you please describe for us the exact circumstances in which you encountered this creature?"
    This was a dangerous line of questioning; Elsa knew she could get a lot of people in trouble with this. But it was best to stick to the truth, because too many knew it already and a lie would be hard to maintain.

"It was trapped in some kind of jar in Nath," she said cautiously. "We had no idea of its nature at the time. We were surrounded and massively outnumbered, and in our moment of desperation, it offered its help to get us out of here. After it flew us out, it tried to possess one of ours, but we cast it out. That's when I thought we'd gotten rid of it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Bianco held silent for a little while.

"You had 'no idea' of its nature at the time," he said at last. "Signora Holt, you've spent the last year advising his Highness on all matters supernatural. Do you honestly expect us to believe that you don't recognise a daemon when you see one?"

"More than that, you admit that it served you. You sent a written report to his Highness in Savonne, did you not?" He walked back over to the table and sorted through his notes. "I don't believe it contained any mention of these events. Did you think them not worth mentioning?" He turned back to Elsa. "What did you offer the daemon, signora? Surely it didn't help you out of the goodness of its heart."
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-09-17 at 09:25 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard clenched his jaw and glared at Elsa. Her admitting what Tshula's role in their escape wouldn't help prove her innocence and would have implications for others.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

"I think the reason why I failed to mention these events should be obvious right now," said Elsa, who realized she was now being accused of liberating the daemon but was willing to take the blame if it kept Adelbert, Sieghard and Hanna out of trouble. "As for what the daemon offered us... we were under the impression that it was bound, somehow. That the jar compelled it to obey us. It probably wanted us to believe that. If you'd been there, I don't think you would have taken your chances with the ghosts."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

"It was compelled to obey you," said Bianco, homing in on the words like a shark scenting blood. "So what orders was it under when you sent it to assist your apprentice?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

"I sent it nowhere!" protested Elsa. "It turned on us the moment we were out! If I'd made a deal with a daemon, do you think I'd be tied up and on trial right now?"

She could tell she was losing. Bianco had concrete facts and evidence, such as the deaths in Savonne and the letter, even though they painted entirely the wrong picture; all Elsa could do was deny accusations. If it came to that, she could try to take as much of the blame as possible in order to make sure she would be the only one executed, but she still raged at the idea of dying this way after surviving so much danger.

If only I'd died in Nath, things would be so much simpler for everyone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

“So out of all the people in the Reaches, it found its way from you to your apprentice of its own accord,” said Bianco. “Perhaps we should see if her story matches yours.”

One of the guards reached forwards and untied Tatiana’s gag. Through the mess of her uncombed hair, she looked as the doctor turned to her.

“In your own words,” he said, “tell us the events that led up to the night of the twentieth.”

Tatiana hesitated for a long while, the look of a cornered animal on her face as her eyes flicked around the audience chamber. Bianco waited patiently, letting the silence yawn like a pit in front of her.

“It… I…” she said. “I don’t know where to start.”

“What was the first contact you had with the beast in the courtyard?”

Tatiana swallowed. “It… Yuda just started talking. Not out loud but… in my head.”

“Yuda was your goat’s name?” Tatiana nodded. “What did it say?”

“She said… lots of things. She said she could help me with my - with my magic.”

“Had your mistress mentioned anything like this to you?”

“No.”

“Did the goat mention your mistress?”

“...She… the voice said she knew her. She said they were friends.”

“What help did she offer you?”

“All k… all kinds of things. I didn’t believe her, but she could tell I was upset about… about Markos. She said… I asked her to prove what she could do.”

“Markos… this would be the stable boy,” said Bianco, looking back at his notes. “Who had become involved with the Principessa’s handmaid, Allegra Rossi. Are you aware of what became of signora Rossi?”

Tatiana hung her head and nodded.

“For the benefit of the tribunal, I must repeat it,” said Bianco. “Signora Rossi was found in the Old Town, having lost all power of speech, and sporting a thick coat of brown fur. Her left foot had become a cloven hoof, and her right eye had become the eye of a beast.” Sieghard saw Irene Sforza place a hand to her heart with an expression of horror; the two handmaids with her hugged each other tight. “By the time the guards were drawn to the scene, a large crowd had gathered to throw stones. She was brought to me, but expired soon after.” He looked back to Tatiana. “You asked the daemon to do this?”

“No!” Tears were welling up in Tatiana’s eyes now. “No, I never - I didn’t know what she would do! She just - she said she would teach me how to make Markos not want her any more.”

“And you told no-one that you knew the cause.”

“I was afraid.”

“What did the daemon do next?”

“It said… it said we had to dig something up. It told me to fetch a shovel, and wait until the castle was sleeping. It knew the words to put the guards to sleep…”

“And when more guards came?”

“It… changed…”

Tatiana was struggling to get the words out, tears running freely down her cheeks. Bianco waited for her to recover some of her composure.

“Did signora Holt know about your attachment to this stable boy?” Tatiana looked blank. “Did Magister Hildebrand know?”

She nodded. Bianco turned to face Sforza.

“Holt knew exactly how to manipulate this girl. She recruited her as her unwitting accomplice, and sent this daemon to enact her plan, knowing that if things went wrong, she would have an unquestionable alibi, and her apprentice would take the fall. In her arrogance, she assumed we would not suspect her enough to search her quarters.”

“We have her letters in which she admits to trafficking with daemons. We have her book of instruction in the art. We have her admission here today that she and this daemon struck an accord in the ruins of Nath. Even in the absence of other evidence, these things should be enough to condemn her. But we have more.” He looked back to Elsa. “We have a clear trail leading from Nath to Savonne, showing how she sought to seize the Book of Nagash for her own purposes, and in doing so was willing to endanger the lives of yourself, and everyone else in the keep.”

“Thank you, doctor,” said Sforza. “Do you have any more to say?”

Bianco shook his head.

“Then please be seated.”

Walking back behind the table, the doctor smoothed his black robes and took his seat. Sforza looked to Elsa.

“Holt,” he said. “You've heard the case against you. What do you have to say in your defence?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-09-17 at 11:13 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #385

BlackDragon

Adelbert and Ludo

'Thank you I'll examine that and anything else he was carrying,' Adelbert said to Ludo. He hesitated a moment before saying: 'Klammenberg is far too dangerous to live. The moment we make sure your family is safe he dies.'

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa's heart sank as Tatiana recounted the Savonne events. She had been fervently hoping her apprentice had acted under daemonic possession, but it turned out she had done many of these things of her own free will.

Oh, Tattie... you fool...

No. It's my fault. I should have taken her with me.

"Holt," said Sforza. "You've heard the case against you. What do you have to say in your defence?"

Elsa scowled at Bianco. "Well, for a start, I'd like Doctor Bianco to read my letter in full. Since a large part of the case against me seems to hinge on a single sentence in it."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-09-17 at 10:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza looked to Bianco and nodded. The doctor made a show of shuffling through the papers to find the letter again. Clearing his throat at length, he began.

"To Sieghard, Ludo and Adelbert," he said, with a glance up at where Sieghard was sitting. "I am growing older and wiser. I am making mistakes and learning from them. I realize that power is an abstract thing. It can take many forms, only some of which can be taught at colleges or granted by gods... or daemons." A pregnant pause. "I have the power to conjure up a massive fire, and some people have the power to make others form bucket lines to put out that fire. And the second kind, I think, is what the Reaches truly need in the current age."

"These words will sound familiar to Adelbert, as he heard me express similar sentiments at the recent Conclave. Though I was playing politics for Sforza, I spoke with sincerity. We need fieldworkers and metalworkers more than we need miracle workers. We need swords more than spells, leaders of men more than servants of gods, and courage more than piety or arcane knowledge. These are the things that built civilization. These are the things that will keep it going, and make it overcome all the adversity that the world will throw at it - which brings me to the point of this letter."

"If you have cause to read this, I have likely been found dead in inexplicable circumstances. Ever since the Battle of Arrow Heap, I have been watched by daemonic beings visible only to me. They demand that I do unspeakable things in exchange for more arcane power. I have kept quiet about it, both to avoid their retaliation and out of fear that you would think me corruptible and start treating me as a potential enemy. As I write these lines, I do not yet know to what extent these beings can harm me in the physical world, but I fear I am about to find out. I just made a decision that they will not like." Bianco adjusted his spectacles. "Signed, 'Elsa'."

"That is all?" asked Sforza.

"No, there are other letters," said Bianco. He looked to Elsa. "Does the accused wish me to read those as well?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-09-18 at 04:19 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    Adelbert and Ludo

'Thank you I'll examine that and anything else he was carrying,' Adelbert said to Ludo. He hesitated a moment before saying: 'Klammenberg is far too dangerous to live. The moment we make sure your family is safe he dies.'
    Ludo thought for a moment. "I want to question him, but I'm not hopeful as to what we'll achieve. Unless we're certain he can help..."

His family was still nearby: he would have to appreciate their company later. "Petra, why don't you and Father go over to Leni's place? She and Rudi were expecting you yesterday, as I'm sure she'll bring up, but she's made up a nicer bed for you than you could get in an Inn. I'll come and join you for dinner after, well... afterwards."

With the family made to be Leni's problem, Ludo lead Adelbert and Moltke to the palace cells, where Klammenberg was locked in one cell and his staff was locked in a chest in another.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to say that Leni has stayed here in Mirino, since her job and family are nearby. Rudi tends to follow the Ogres, so presumably he's also back in town.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Titan in the Playground

Mirino, 32nd Brauzeit

"Hm," said Odo, stroking one of his chins. "I suppose they would appreciate the call. What do you think, Petra?"

Petra rolled her eyes. "Come on," she said, taking his arm. "Let's go."

The cells where Klammenberg had been locked up were under an outbuilding in the palace yard. Valdes' men were on guard and looking alert, but Valdes stood them down to let Adelbert and Ludo pass. Producing a key, one of the soldiers unlocked the store-room where they had stashed the necromancer's effects.

The staff was wrapped up in faded rags, tied with coarse lengths of twine - but the moment he stepped through the door, Adelbert could feel the power in it. It was like stepping out of a warm inn into an icy winter night...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you want to unwrap it?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #390

BlackDragon

Mirino

Adelbert frowned... then dropped the still wrapped staff back on the table in disgust. 'More necromatic idiocy.We better have Elsa take a look at it but my personal vote is to destroy it. Nothing good can come from this.'

Ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unwrap it and get another Insanity Point or worse? Hell no!