New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

"So the daemon did all this and they think she sent it?" Ludo asked. "What did she want me for?"

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

"She wasn't let argue her side of things, at first," Urgrim said. "Sforza was going to sentence her and be done with it. She asked for you to be allowed to speak on her behalf."

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm her lawyer?" Ludo asked. He had read about the idea once and found it very strange. "I suppose... clearly they thought I might be good at it if they wanted to stop me. Unless they thought I had some extra secret or evidence or something."

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim shrugged. "Someone wants Elsa dead," he said, choosing his words carefully, "and they're also willing to kill you to make that happen."

He remembered something else. "She wrote these letters, that the guards found, letters to you and Sieghard and – and Schreiber. Talking about seeing invisible things, and not wanting to do their bidding. And she had some books of dark magic. That's part of why they think she did it." A sour frown and weary shrug. "Now, I can believe she's stupid enough to have written'em and kept a foul tome without doing the bad witchcraft. But it doesn't look good for her."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Not sure there's anything else essential about the trial that Ludo needs to know? Obviously Urgrim is trying to avoid mentioning Bianco.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"They won't get away with this," Sieghard said, "Stay here and watch over Ludo; I'm getting the prince. I'll see the bastards hang for what they did!" He turned to leave and stormed up to the Keep.

"Prince Sforza, do you have a moment?" he asked, when he had found the man. Despite his anger, he was careful about his tone. "There's been a... a development involving the war effort. Something important that you see. Would you please come with me?"

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Uncharacteristically, Sforza wasn't already up and about by the time Sieghard marched into the fort. He wasn't even up and having breakfast - at last, leaving a trail of intimidated servants and sentries behind, Sieghard found himself outside the door of the prince's chambers. The Iron Company guards on duty outside it had a certain fixed stare; when Sieghard told them what he was there for, one of them looked to the other, then reluctantly knocked.

It was some time before Sforza answered, dressed in only his nightshirt. He did a mild double-take when he saw who it was.

"Sieghard?" he said. "What do you mean, a 'development'?"

"Who is it, Muzio?" Sieghard heard Irene call from somewhere behind him. She walked into view, also dressed in her nightgown. Her dark hair hung down over her shoulders, tousled and un-tended to. "Oh. Good morning, commander."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard had been afraid of something like this happening. He knew couldn't lie, but he needed to try to word things in such a way that it wouldn't be obvious to Irene what this was all about. "Good morning, Princess," he replied before addressing her husband.

"Scouts have returned with new information on enemy movement," He said, cautiously. "The news is troubling and I thought it best you hear it from the men who were there rather than risk raising alarm."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-10-02 at 01:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

"Falkenwald's supposed to be coordinating the scouts," said Sforza. "Too busy to bring me the news himself? You don't answer to him, Sieghard. Don't let him make you his dogsbody."

He looked out down the corridor. "Bring them to the audience chamber," he said. "I'll be there shortly."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard shook his head. "Not Falkenwald's men, mine. Sent to watch the vampire and his minions' movement before the Falcons arrived in Manaan's Keep. The one who returned... We have him in the barracks. He's awake and should survive his wounds, but he's in no state to be moving about." He paused. "And what he saw is the sort of thing that I believe you wouldn't want word of spreading further than it has already."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard sucks at this, but we'll try an untrained charm test. Is his argument or the fact that he's served Sforza long and well enough that he really ought to be trusted worth any sort of bonus?

(1d100)[27]
    (1d100)[70] reroll.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-10-03 at 01:14 AM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza raised his eyebrows.

"Alright," he said. "Wait here. I'll be with you shortly." Sieghard saw Irene put a hand on his shoulder as he closed the door.

After a wait of about five minutes, Sforza reappeared, dressed presentably enough to be seen outside. He motioned for Sieghard to lead the way, an honour guard of half a dozen Iron Company men falling in around them as they left the fort.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard led Sforza to the barracks and the bunk where Ludo was resting. "The vampire's pet necromancer wasn't with him at Nath," he began. "Once we returned, Ludo here volunteered to take a small group of men and try to hunt him down while he was away from his master's protction." He looked to Ludo, "Tell the prince what you told me. Everything, start from the very beginning."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-10-04 at 02:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo was sat up in bed when Sforza came in, and a part of him was sheepish not to be more visibly injured - would Sforza have believed him more before his wounds had been bandaged? Still, trying to seem honest and sombre, he began telling his story.

"Acting on a tip-off from my sister, who I warned about Klammenberg - John of the jackal, the man we made the posters of - I went west to Last Water with Brother Schreiber, the two surviving templars and three of the Thorns. Herr Valdez had already mobilised his men to Sermena. Klammenberg had avoided us using a spell that made people forget him - we spent a few days searching the desert for him, and found a man he had tricked into associating with him who explained he had gone into the desert ruins looking for a staff, where he had killed three veterans of the Iron Company."

The attack on Sforza's own men might help get him on-side.

"We found him in Mirino, having recovered the staff and preparing to travel east, presumably to return it to his master. With the help of the Volunteers, we captured him and the staff for interrogation, though he threatened me by claiming he had placed a curse on my sister and my father Odo. As such, when we started bringing him east for interrogation and judgement, we travelled as a group - myself and the three Thorns, Brother Schreiber, my father and sister, the templars, and four Volunteers."

"On the road... we were blocked by a group of Falkenwald's men, lead by Gunda, his second in command. They asked me to confirm that I was Herr Stubbs, and when I did... they opened fire on us. They killed two of the Volunteers and Hans Moller of the Thorns. Gunda herself killed both the templars and brother Schreiber. We killed Klammenberg when the fighting started so he wouldn't escape."

"My family escaped, as did two of the Thorns, though both were badly wounded. The staff was lost. I managed to escape but was separated from the rest. I don't know what happened to them - they fled into the forest."

"I don't know why they attacked us, but they killed members of two militia groups, two templars, and a priest. Because of them, an agent of the enemy died before he could be questioned. Gunda... Gunda gave the order to kill my family, unarmed civilians. For all I know, they're still being hunted."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo's only intentional omissions are the connections to Irene and Bianco - if something else important is missing let me know because that's me forgetting OOC.

I'm gonna make a Charm test here both to make Sforza believe this initial account (it's true, but I want him to believe it a lot) and to cover up the lie-by-omission: (1d100)[20] vs 92

hell yeah seven degrees of success baby
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-10-04 at 02:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I have reason to believe the staff that Klammenberg was searching for is a dangerous magical weapon, not unlike the book." Sieghard said. "We had it and we had him. Because of Gunda, my men are dead. The staff is lost and may very well end up in the vampire's hands next time we see it. We'll never have a chance to question Klammenberg about his master."

"I want her head," he said, fighting the urge to raise his voice. "Her, her men, and anyone else who was involved. I want to see them all hang for this."

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

With a mounting frown, Sforza heard Ludo's story out. He didn't respond to Sieghard's demand for action, keeping his attention focused on Ludo.

"This is... the Falcons attacked you," he repeated at last, as if Ludo hadn't already been perfectly clear. "You're certain it was them?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded. "Absolutely. They were wearing their colours and identified themselves... "Falkenwald's Falcons get the job done," I recognised them, and Gunda, from visiting Bunthafen. "

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

There was a long silence. "And your name is Stubbs," the Prince said at last. "Ludovic Stubbs?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo tried to hide the twinge of fear he was feeling. If Sforza drew a weapon... Sieghard was there, at least. That should... buy him some time to run? Surely he wouldn't cut him down in front of the priests and the dwarves.

"Yes," he said. "Apparently Elsa sent for me."

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza said nothing, looking away from Ludo towards the wall. Ludo heard the faint squeak of leather as the Prince tightened one gloved hand into a fist.

"Sieghard," he said, "I will speak to you outside."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded and wordlessly followed Sforza outside.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as the door had closed behind them, Sforza turned to Sieghard, looking quietly furious. "Enemy movements," he said, keeping his voice down with some efforts. "Why did you lie to me, Sieghard? To get me in front of your little audience?" The whites of his eyes flashed as he subjected Sieghard to a hard stare. "Tetta della Myrmidia, were those the dwarfs in there?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-10-04 at 03:44 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Yes, enemy movements," Sieghard replied, keeping his voice low. "The necromancer killing Iron Company men and trying to smuggle his master a magical weapon certainly counts. As does the Falcons ambushing and murdering my men. I kept the details sparse because I had thought you would prefer to hear it without the risk of servants overhearing the tale and spreading gossip to half the keep. Gods know the damage that could be done if it becomes common knowledge."

"As for the dwarfs, they were the ones who brought him back to me," he continued, "It was already too late to keep them from learning what happened, but I believe they can be convinced to keep quite about it."

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

"Don't get smart with me," said Sforza, jabbing a finger at Sieghard. "I am your prince, Sieghard. I made you, I can unmake you too." He pointed forcefully back towards the door. "The priests, were they among the ones who found him too? The priests, the dwarfs, their next of kin, and a man you met in the pub?"

Exhaling a long breath, Sforza looked over his shoulder and took a moment to compose his thoughts.

"This halfling of yours, you trust him?" His manner had changed, as if he felt Sieghard had been suitably chastised. "You think he's telling the truth?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-10-04 at 04:18 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Ludo has been with me since the beginning. I trust every word he says," Sieghard replied, "If proof beyond that is needed, you need only ask yourself where Gunda is now. I recall seeing the woman going about her business a few days ago but after that? There's been no sign of her."

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

"Her absence means little," said Sforza. "I gave orders for Falkenwald to set patrols outside the town." He paused. "But why Stubbs would lie... I struggle to see it. Some scheme to help Holt, perhaps... but he can't even have talked to her. She's still under guard."

Sforza lapsed into a brief silence.

"I will deal with this," he said. "Keep the halfling here, tell no-one else. That is an order from your Prince. And Sieghard?" He raised his eyebrows and looked Sieghard straight in the eye. "This is still my army, and you are still my soldier. Do not make demands of me again."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #535
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Of course, Prince. I'll leave it in your hands," Sieghard said, "There's still the matter of the necromancer's staff to consider. And of my mens' bodies - they deserve better than to just lay on the roadside where they fell. May I have your permission to retrieve them?"

Spoiler
    Show
    We'll see if ligthning strikes twice. Going for another charm attempt.

(1d100)[90] vs 27
    (1d100)[46] reroll
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-10-04 at 11:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza thought for a little before answering. "No," he said. "Keep your men here. The Iron Company will handle it." He turned back towards the door. "Come."

The Prince presented a much more composed face as he came back inside. Drawing one of his guards aside, he had a short, terse conversation in Tilean. Ludo heard enough of it to get the gist - Sforza was sending the Iron Company to retrieve the dead, and wanted it done without Falkenwald's knowledge. As soon as the Prince had finished giving his orders, the soldier saluted and left. Sforza's attention returned to Ludo.

"Signor Stubbs. You have my word I will get to the bottom of this." He glanced around at Skorgrund and the priests. "Can you describe for us in as much detail as you can the spot where you were attacked?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo did so, including his best estimate of the time it would have taken them to walk back to Manaan's Keep from there. "My family and the survivors went southwest from there. They were... my family aren't seasoned travellers, and the soldiers were badly injured. I'm worried about them." His eyes flicked to Urgrim, but he couldn't have asked the dwarf for another favour.

"If your men find the staff... it had a S-shaped crook, like a shepherd's staff... please tell them not to touch it directly, to wrap it in cloth or similar."

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Sforza turned to one of the other Iron Company men with him, and confirmed in Tilean that the man had understood what Ludo had said. The soldier nodded.

"Odo Stubbs... yes, I remember your father from Sermena. A pillar of the community," said Sforza, without even the slightest wince. "We will do everything we can to see your family brought back safe."

"In the meantime, I must ask you to remain here. Until I have found who ordered this attack, it would be best if news of your return did not spread." He looked around at the assembled company. "That goes for all of us here."

"Seems peculiar," rumbled Skorgrund, "that honest folk should have to hide from oathbreakers." He and Sforza exchanged looks of mutual distaste.

"Yes," said Sforza at last. "But I trust I have your word, that you will keep this confidence for now." Another pause. "So that justice is better served."

Skorgrund took perverse pleasure in hesitating just as long before answering. "Aye," he said, "I suppose you do."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you, mio principe," Ludo said. "I... thank you."

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Would you recognize the other Falcons who were with Gunda if you saw them again?" Sieghard asked Ludo. He then turned his head towards Sforza. "They'll talk. Press them hard enough and they can be made to say who gave the order."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-10-05 at 04:20 PM.