New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

Finding a relatively private moment with Hanna while striking camp, she asked in a low voice: "Were you... awake the whole time? Or is there a hole in your memory?"
    Checking around to make sure that Sieghard wasn't in earshot, Hanna gave Elsa a look cold enough to freeze a river. Elsa became uncomfortably aware that the other Thorns around them were wearing similar expressions.

"Was it not clear, what I said before?" she said, speaking softly under her breath. "**** you."

A little shakily, she got up and walked away.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim stood up with a groan. "I'm your damn ranger, I'll go get your damn horse," he muttered. "Could do with another pair of hands though. Gustaf?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Follow Trail 54 - (1d100)[30]
    Fortune - (1d100)[73]
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-07-28 at 07:50 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Wellentag, 14th Brauzeit

The rising sun was a welcome sight, its rays catching the tops of the trees as Urgrim and Gustaf struck out into the woods. The leaves had started to turn, and they shone red and gold in the dawn light. Over the Dead Hills behind them, leaden clouds still lingered, leaving the barren hilltops in shadow.

It wasn’t hard to pick up the trail of Sieghard’s horse, if you knew what to look for. Urgrim followed the trail of hoofprints, scattered leaves and broken twigs as far as he could, until Gustaf started to make anxious noises about leaving the others behind. The beast seemed to have taken off at a gallop and kept going, long past the point where a horse would ordinarily have tired. It had kept its bearings, too - though its tracks weaved in and out through the trees, its course bore constantly north.

“Poor beast was running as if the hounds of Morr were after it,” said Gustaf. He glanced back over his shoulder towards the hills. “Can’t say I blame it, myself.”

~

It was late morning by the time the rest of the column caught up with the trackers. With Sieghard’s horse clearly long gone, they continued on towards the Vale, carrying their wounded in the rear. Insects chirped and rasped in the woods around them; Adelbert saw a blackbird flit past with a fat yellow grasshopper caught in its beak. Harvest or no harvest, it was nice to see that not everyone was going hungry.

The sun was low in the west by the time they reach Manann’s Keep, and the worst of their wounded were clearly flagging. Seeing the bedraggled column limp into the square beneath the fort, Sussman came hurrying out to meet them.

“Good gods,” he said, “you look like death warmed up. I wasn’t expecting you back so soon - what happened? Where are the others?” He looked around. “The knights? Where are the knights?”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    “Poor beast was running as if the hounds of Morr were after it,” said Gustaf. He glanced back over his shoulder towards the hills. “Can’t say I blame it, myself.”
    Urgrim didn't say anything for a long moment. He was loathe to give up, but he knew it would be stupid to go further, even if he could force his weary body to find any undrained store of energy. He looked up to the light of the sky piercing the branches overhead. His head was swimming. Every blink left dark zones lingering in his vision.

Kruk! he swore. "Can't even find the miserable horse! I've seen that thing stop in its tracks and hold up an entire column just to take a huge steaming **** in the road, but this time it decides to go halfway to troll country!" He slammed one fist into the other palm.

After several deep breaths, he turned around to Gustaf. He still looked utterly spent, but his eyes had a little more fore in them. "No, you're right. It's long gone. We'd best get back. Thanks for coming with me, anyhow."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    “Good gods,” he said, “you look like death warmed up. I wasn’t expecting you back so soon - what happened? Where are the others?” He looked around. “The knights? Where are the knights?”
    "Dead," Elsa reported gloomily, standing at the front of the column. "The enemy had ghosts at his disposal. Not much even the knights could do about that. We're the only ones who made it out, and only barely. No survivors from Caerfort, either. I'll write a summary report for Prince Sforza and let you read it before I have it sent out by messenger."

Though Sussman was only a minor lord, and not especially knowledgeable in military matters or anything concerning the war with the undead, it seemed fair to bring him inside the loop, since his town was almost on the doorstep of what was now enemy territory.

If Nahorek marches out with his armies, we're relying on Sussman to hold out until Sforza can bring his forces south. Now that's a scary thought...
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-28 at 09:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

"Herr Sussman," Ludo said politely. "Has there been any news from Last Water?"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

"Ghosts?" If Sussman could have raised his eyebrows any higher, they'd have sprung clean off his face. "That's, uh... that's not something you hear every Wellentag." He peered around Elsa's shoulder. "They're not following you, are they?"

"Herr Sussman," Ludo said politely. "Has there been any news from Last Water?"
    "No, nothing out of the ordinary," said Sussman. "But that's a long trip, there and back. I don't know if they're caught up on all the excitement yet."

At the back of the column, Hamlyn collapsed.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"They're not following you, are they?"
    "They'd have caught up by now if they were," Elsa assured Sussman. "With our wounded, we weren't travelling fast."

She turned at the sound of Hamlyn collapsing. "Oh... speaking of wounded..."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

"Gods, yes," said Sussman. He backed away, waving his hands in a vaguely reassuring manner towards Elsa as he turned to look for help. "Surgeon? We need the surgeon! Don't just stand there gawking, man, go and get him!"

Seeing some of the onlookers who had gathered to gawp take off running, Sussman turned back to Elsa. "He's a good sawbones, Ambrose. Mostly does livestock, but he patched Frau Olm up after her fall, and everyone thought she was a goner. Plus, if you need a shave, he throws that in for free." Seeing the stony looks of the Thorns, he held his hands up. "Joking! I'm joking."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The ball's in you guys' court for how much time you want to cover/what you want to do now you're in Manann's Keep. Sussman is here if you have questions for him, but don't wait around for him.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert had said very little since Hanna ran off. The priest looked utterly defeated and drained and scarcely even paid notice to anyone even once they got to Mannan's Keep.

'I don't think I can face going back to Savonne,' he said to Sieghard. 'I certainly can't face the Temple now that Verena has turned from me. Can I stay with you instead?'

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

As soon as she had access to a desk, a quill and paper, Elsa penned a single-page report for Sforza where she described the gist of the Caerfort abductions and the ensuing Battle of Nath. She made sure to speak highly of Sieghard's leadership in desperate circumstances and how he once again drove off the vampire after battling it in close quarters, but left out her own part in advocating a frontal attack, as well as anything concerning Adelbert (who was not in Sforza's good books) and, most importantly, Tshula. She would ask Sieghard, if he was willing to listen to her for a moment, to have the Thorns stay quiet about Tshula; the fact that they had to call upon a daemon to carry them out of the city was not something that Sforza strictly needed to know. She allowed Sussman to read the report and asked him about the feasibility of having a horseback messenger ready to ride north at the crack of dawn, even though it was already late in the day.

She then grabbed a bottle of wine, two cups and some cheese from the keep's kitchen and sought out Moltke. She poured both herself and the bereaved squire some wine. "I'm really sorry for your, uh, employers. Have you decided what you're going to do now?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-28 at 11:13 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"You'd... we've got space and food for you and your friend," Ludo said. "As long as the Thorns still exist, you're welcome to stay with us. It would be good to have you around if the vampire returns."

Later,

"I'm not going on to Savonne." Ludo said. "Klammenberg was seen in Last Water, so I'm headed there first thing tomorrow. Any of you would be very welcome: if not, I want a couple of the Thorns who are still healthy."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard was among those glaring at Sussman. Clearly he wasn't in the mood for jokes. "If there's anywhere else around here with an ill reputation, you ought to start taking the stories seriously," he said. "The tales about Rivermouth and Nath both proved true enough."

'I don't think I can face going back to Savonne. I certainly can't face the Temple now that Verena has turned from me. Can I stay with you instead?'

"If you want to stay with me, you don't have much of a choice. I'll be heading to Savonne as soon as we've had a chance to rest. The Prince needs to know what happened and the danger we face... And not just from some messenger who wasn't there."

Later

"I'm not going on to Savonne. Klammenberg was seen in Last Water, so I'm headed there first thing tomorrow. Any of you would be very welcome: if not, I want a couple of the Thorns who are still healthy."

"You're not planning on trying to fight him with just a couple of men, are you?" Sieghard asked. "He may not have Nahorek's power, but he can still raise the dead. He's still dangerous."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

"Valdez's men are there," Ludo said "I just need some help for the road. And I don't really expect to find him to be honest... but maybe there'll be some useful clues or something. Some sign of where he went or what he wanted there. And... my sister's there. I want to know she's alright."

15. - Top - End - #45

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert had done his best with the wounded though he wasn't feeling overly confident. Still when Ludo suggested going after Klammenburg he looked deeply relieved. 'I'll go with you Ludo. I'd far sooner face the necromancer than Hieronymous or any of the others.'

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded. "See if anyone is willing to volunteer then," Sieghard said. He was reluctant to have it be a direct order so soon after Nath. "And if there is any fighting, leave it to Esteban and his men." He paused. "If I were you, I'd try to convince your family to leave while they can. Or at the very least have plans to leave at a moment's notice if it comes to it. The entire south is vulnerable so long as the vampire holds Nath."

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

The inside of Evatt's fort wasn't as Elsa had remembered it - what had been Sforza's crowded military headquarters now had ample room to spare, with its gates standing open to the town. Sussman clearly viewed her as a respected guest, and arranged for her to be given writing materials and a place to compose her report. When the time came to read it, however, he found it hard to disguise his nerves.

"This is terrible," he said, chewing his lip. "This is what, twenty miles from here. You made it in a day. A day! They could be here tomorrow if they wanted." He paced up and down the wooden hall, still reading. "I mean, I've got nothing here... enough guards to break up a fight at the Star, that's about it. We've got to get the Iron Company down here right away."

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    She then grabbed a bottle of wine, two cups and some cheese from the keep's kitchen and sought out Moltke. She poured both herself and the bereaved squire some wine. "I'm really sorry for your, uh, employers. Have you decided what you're going to do now?"
    "You'd... we've got space and food for you and your friend," Ludo said. "As long as the Thorns still exist, you're welcome to stay with us. It would be good to have you around if the vampire returns."
    Moltke and Jens had kept to themselves since reaching the town, and seemed to have had some conversation of their own. Whatever the upshot, Moltke was looking a little less lost than before.

"I think... I think the Preceptor would want us to finish the job we came here for," said Moltke. "The Order wouldn't want to see us back in Siegfriedhof while that... thing is still walking." She met Ludo's eyes. "If you're still in the fight, so are we."

"Of course," Jens interjected, "the lady Moltke here's not one of your common soldiers. We'll be needing proper grub, proper bunks, all of that. Isn't that right, miss?"

Jens' firmness seemed to have thrown her a little off-balance, but Moltke nodded. "Oh... um, yes. All of that."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo opened and closed his mouth a little at the suggestion, and then shrugged. "We can probably arrange that. For now, though, I'm headed to Last Water first thing tomorrow. One of the vampire's associates was seen there a week or so ago. The trail's probably gone cold by now, but we might find out what he was doing there - I want to know why he wasn't at Nath with us. Do you want to come along for that, or go and speak to Il Principe?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim had curtly thanked Adelbert as the priest helped him with his wounds, but perhaps seemed a little standoffish. "Don't spend too long running from your problems, Schreiber," he said sternly, as the group discussed their next steps. "We don't have the luxury of time to go slowly."

He turned to Sieghard. "I'll come with you to Savonne, so I can go to the Dwimmulhold and tell our news to the Rinn. And let me say this, Sieghard." He held up his hands in a gesture of calm. "I've no intention of trying to take the spear away from you, nor aiding the Dwimmulsons in that task either. As far as I'm concerned, you're the best person there is to possibly wield it against the Jackal, and I'll make that clear to the Rinn. I've no quarrel on that front while he still walks. We can argue over its proper home when he's destroyed. Or in the next life, if he sends us there, hmm?" The dwarf pointed one finger at the commander. "Doesn't mean you and I have nothing to argue about. I amn't happy you all lied to me." He looked around to Adelbert, Elsa and Ludo as well. "But if this past week proves anything, it's that we're the only ones here with half a chance of putting that cur down. So I amn't about to make it any harder for us than it already is."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-07-28 at 02:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo opened and closed his mouth a little at the suggestion, and then shrugged. "We can probably arrange that. For now, though, I'm headed to Last Water first thing tomorrow. One of the vampire's associates was seen there a week or so ago. The trail's probably gone cold by now, but we might find out what he was doing there - I want to know why he wasn't at Nath with us. Do you want to come along for that, or go and speak to Il Principe?"
    Jens and Moltke looked at one another. They didn't seem to arrive at the same conclusion.

"When you say associate," said Jens, "are we talking about someone like those lads he had in the square? Or someone more like him?" He scratched the stubble on his ample chin. "Meaning no disrespect, I think if we're going after someone like that again, I'd feel more comfortable with an army behind us."

"We know hunting necromancers better than talking to princes," said Moltke, firmly. "We're with you."

"Right, yes," said Jens. "'Course. Just... sounding out the lay of the land."
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-07-28 at 02:46 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"A... shadow magician?" Ludo said, looking at Elsa. "He can make people forget him, cast... spells of darkness... but I don't think he's a fighter in the same way. When we fought him before, all he did was protect himself and run away. The local warden knows who he is and who I am, so we should be able to get fresh troops there."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"We've got to get the Iron Company down here right away."

Elsa nodded. "An entire village's population wiped out... Women, children... This is an act of war if there ever was one. I'll make sure you get more manpower. And an experienced battle commander; maybe Valdes, he must be getting bored in Mirino, and he is Lord-Lieutenant of the South. It's not as if Sforza's soldiers have a whole lot of places to be."

In fact, if the enemy intended to sit on Nath, she might even move back to Manann's Keep after getting Tatiana and her things from Savonne. Her place was on the front lines.

Elsa was glad to hear of Moltke's intention to stay in the Broken Reaches; she was about to try to convince her to do just that. At the mention of Moltke's status, however, she smirked.

"Hmm, we'll see what can be done in terms of long-term accommodations," she said noncommittally, "but you'll find that the Border Princes are... rather more meritocratic than most realms. Titles and status don't necessarily carry over, unless they include the command of armies. I'm not exactly lowborn, myself, and it took me a few months before I earned my own bedroom."

She cut herself a slab of cheese and munched on it. "So. Moltke. How'd you end up among the Morrites, anyway?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is Moltke a first name or a last name?

On the subject of Klammenberg, she said: "He's a mortal man. An illusionist of moderate power, but still a mortal man. It'll be harder to catch him than to fight him.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-28 at 03:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Moltke looked a little uncomfortable at Elsa's enquiry. "I asked to join," she said, a little defensively. She clearly didn't think there was much more to it than that.

"Well," said Jens, "this fellow sounds tricky enough, but at least warlocks and hedge witches aren't... whatever that back there was." He nodded to Ludo. "Aye, we're with you."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard glanced to the side to make sure Sussman was distracted. "I did not lie to you," he hissed. "I've told no one about the damn spear. Not you. not Sforza. Not my own men. You might not want to take it, but can you say the same of the Dwimmulsons? Can you be certain? What about Sforza? What about some thief who overhears that I have something so priceless?" his expression hardened. "I did everything I could to keep it safe. You've no ground to judge me for that."

25. - Top - End - #55

BlackDragon

Adelbert

Adelbert drew Elsa aside for a quiet word. 'Um... since I probably won't be returning to Savonne for, well, quite some time you should probably tell Hieronymous about Tshula-Udiyya. Be honest, brutally so if necessary.'

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"You did as good as lie, Sieghard, and you know that," Urgrim said softly, but calmly and without rancour. He was silent for a moment. He sighed.

"You just have to trust me, that I know what I'm doing, and that I'll do nothing to harm our endeavour. Because we might not always agree – but I do trust the same of you." He held out his hand to Sieghard. "Long as we start from there, I think we're going the right way."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RossN View Post
    'Um... since I probably won't be returning to Savonne for, well, quite some time you should probably tell Hieronymous about Tshula-Udiyya. Be honest, brutally so if necessary.'
    "I guess I can do that," said Elsa, not quite sure why Hieronymous needed to know about this. "Why? Is this a matter of asking him if you still have a place in Verena's clergy? Our situation back there was desperate, and you know it. You did what I was too scared to do."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #58

BlackDragon

Adelbert

'No... I don't think the goddess is quite ready to forgive me yet,' a glint of anger appeared in his tried expression. 'And I am not ready to forgive her.' He took a moment, clearly trying to settle some inner emotional turmoil.

'I do think it's important for them to know there is a daemon on the loose just in case.'

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I trust you," Sieghard replied, taking Urgrim's hand. "I don't trust the Dwimmulsons. I don't even know them. And they've got no reason to trust me. Telling them about the spear would be foolish."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-07-28 at 04:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

'I do think it's important for them to know there is a daemon on the loose just in case.'

"That's fair," said Elsa with a nod. "Though I wouldn't worry about Tshula. Daemons can't exist for long in the physical realm without some sort of anchor or host. Especially this far from the Northern Wastes."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: