New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

Tatiana didn’t look spellbound by Sieghard’s storytelling. “Why are you telling me this?” she asked.

~

Ludo was down in the town square haggling over the price of a goat when Irene’s coach rolled down out of the fort, spraying passers-by with mud as it clattered over the bridge and up along the north road. Sieghard and his scouts departed shortly after, riding out west into the woods.

Odo and Petra had seen the Princess go too. When he met them in the Star, Petra’s expression was dark, and only darkened further when Ludo brought up the need for discretion. Odo seemed more accepting.

“You know, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was all some misunderstanding,” he said, as if intimately familiar with how this kind of thing could happen. “She always seemed a proper lady to me. Real ladies don’t have dealings with savages like that woman on the road.”

She tried to kill us, dad!” exclaimed Petra, realising a little too late that she’d raised her voice a little too loud. She brought it back to a more hushed tone. “Gods, you really think she’s too high-class to send assassins?

“Mind your tone, young lady,” harrumphed Odo. “You’re speaking to your father.”

“How could I forget,” mumbled Petra. Looking back to Ludo, she hesitated for a good while before heaving a long sigh.

“We’ll keep quiet, Ludo,” she promised. “But watch yourself. You’re not safe while she’s still out there.” She looked over her shoulder towards the door of the inn. “None of us are.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A goat costs 2 gc, modifiable by Haggle as usual. Lottie’s also happy to talk to Tattie.

~

It was just past noon when the sentries at the fort sighted Valdes’ forces on the west road. Ludo was still in the Star with Odo and Petra when he heard the sound of marching boots in the square outside. Along with most of the inn’s patrons, they turned out to watch the soldiers arrive.

Valdes had clearly gathered his forces from all over Last Water - only the Volunteers were conspicuous by their absence. Valdes himself was riding at the head of the column on a small bay mare, beside the sunburst banner of the Brotherhood of Magritta. Behind them came the Gamecocks, bows slung over their shoulders. The Maneaters lumbered in the rear, one of the grizzled ogres carrying a halfling bowman on his shoulder.

Drawing his horse to a halt by the old well, Valdes stared up at Falkenwald’s head on its pole, consternation written clearly on his face. He didn’t have long to wait for an explanation - Sforza was already descending from the fort to greet him. The Prince seemed pleased to see his old lieutenant at last, and drew him aside for some private conversation. Shortly, the soldiers Valdes had brought with him began to disperse, finding space in the barracks to lay down their packs.

Some hours later, when Ludo had left his family in the warmth of the tavern and returned to the Thorns’ draughty quarters, he found Ingwald with orders from the Prince. “Al-Makir’s man came looking for the boss,” he said. “Says we’re to stand ready.”

Sieghard & the Scouts

The Thorns’ new horses had allowed them to make good time along the road, though most of them still seemed uncomfortable in the saddle. They’d passed Valdes’ force coming the other way, and were now forging a path back into the same woods where they’d found Armin’s camp before.

The sun had dipped behind the hills in the west when Urgrim judged they were getting close. Dismounting, they tied the horses up to a tree and continued on foot, leaving one Thorn behind to guard them. The Thorns were fairly stealthy, for umgi - but the heavily armoured Sieghard was another matter. A fallen branch, cloaked in fallen leaves, crunched under his boot.

Three gaunt faces appeared from behind a root-tangled rise in the forest floor. They were Armin’s men, barefoot and dressed in ragged black. One held a rusty spear, while the other two held makeshift cudgels.

“Who goes there?” one of them called out. They were still out of sight of the hollow - perhaps after their last encounter, Armin had taken to setting sentries.

Backertag, 8th Kaldezeit

Manann’s Keep

Backertag dawned to the relentless noise of the army getting ready to march. Valdes’ troops were formed up with the Dwimmulsons and half the Iron Company, as well as the siege engines the Prince had brought down from Savonne. The Maneaters kept giving the oxen that pulled Alvarr’s catapults hungry looks.

Walking out among the assembling soldiers, Elsa wondered what her role in all this was. Sforza had told her nothing about his plans - in the end, she had to go to Barbaro to find out what was happening.

“Esteban is taking the main force south today,” said the priest. “The Dead Hills can’t support an army. He and Abdul will establish a camp in the foothills from which we can supply a siege line.” He took a sip of his morning brew. “The Prince is staying behind, with half the Iron Company and the crossbowmen. Once the rabble in the woods are taken care of we’ll be rejoining the army and pushing on to Nath itself.”

Elsa still hadn’t heard her role in the plan. She said as much to Barbaro.

“You want to know what he wants you to do? I think he thinks you’ve done quite enough already,” he said. He gave her a gentle pat on the shoulder. “Take my advice, just stay out of his way for a while. A little campaigning is just what he needs to put this whole sorry business behind him.”
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit

Elsa sought out Ludo, shortly after his talk with his family at the Star.

"Ludo. I know I already owe you a lot, but I have a favor to ask."

She paused, trying to find the best way to phrase her request. "Given the lives we lead, it's very possible that I... won't have the chance to finish teaching Tatiana all the necessary theory of magic. If that happens, the only way she can continue her education is by reading my books. I'm pretty sure she's illiterate, though, and I haven't had time to fix that. Should you outlive me, do you think you can teach her to read? Or at least hire someone to do it?"

8th Kaldezeit

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    “You want to know what he wants you to do? I think he thinks you’ve done quite enough already,” he said. He gave her a gentle pat on the shoulder. “Take my advice, just stay out of his way for a while. A little campaigning is just what he needs to put this whole sorry business behind him.”
    "Right. I see."

Elsa tried not to show it, but this hurt her deeply. She was torn between a hope that her magic would not be needed and a wish for an opportunity to redeem herself.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-11-16 at 11:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Because no matter what you or me wanted, you got dragged into it," Sieghard replied, "Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you've got to do anything about it or get more involved. I'm telling you because I think you deserve to know why everything that happened happened. And because I'm sorry for my part in it - The daemon fooled me the same as it fooled you. You had no way of knowing, but I should've seen through its tricks." It wasn't entirely true, but short of admitting that he knowingly did what he did to escape with his men still alive, it was the best he could offer.

"There's a bit more to the story," he said. "Should I continue?"

Sieghard fought the urge to curse and gestured his men back. If they could avoid being seen, perhaps the sentries would dismiss the sound as coming from an animal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Getting ready to head out and wanted to get a post up before I go. Didn't get an answer OOC, so I'm working under the assumption we were heard but not seen. Disregard this if I'm wrong.

(1d100)[85] vs (52 Ag - 10) / 2 = 21 to try to sneak back to the horses without being spotted. FP for reroll/+10 as needed.
    (1d100)[72]

If successful, we'll circle around to a different part and have Urgrim (with a smaller number of Thorns if he wants) try approaching from a different angle

Sieghard walks face first into an entire tree branch and cracks it off with a loud snap.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-11-16 at 12:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll be alright, surely." Ludo said. "She doesn't want anything with me any more, and the Falcons have... they're on the right side now."

Elsa found Ludo as he was bringing Tatiana's new goat - a juvenile who had been named Stronzo by a previous owner, though he wasn't going to pass that on to her - through the town, and attracting a fair share of strange looks as he did so.

"Certainly," he said. "I can do that but... how well is she going to be able to learn from books alone? Won't it be more sensible for her to try and find someone else to teach her?"

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, hopefully, I'll be the one teaching her. And if the worst comes to pass, then I suppose it doesn't strictly take a wizard to read her the books," Elsa allowed. "Still. Reading is a useful skill. Even for an amber wizard."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-11-16 at 01:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

It seemed odd to Ludo that you could be a wizard just by reading about it, but then he supposed that was how he had become a lawyer, with a much less fancy book. "You know we'll all do our best to look after Tatiana if anything happens."

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks a lot. And should anything happen to you, I'll make sure your family is kept safe from Nahorek or... other threats."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-11-16 at 01:56 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit

Manann's Keep

"I'll be alright, surely." Ludo said. "She doesn't want anything with me any more, and the Falcons have... they're on the right side now."
    "You stopped her getting what she wanted," said Petra. She looked like she was going to say more, but bit her tongue. "I hope you're right."

Sieghard & the Scouts

The Thorns shuffled back at Sieghard's hurried gesture, but they had already been seen. The first of Armin's men vaulted down over the tangle of roots, pointing with one grubby hand.

"You there! We see you! Friend or foe?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Back" Sieghard hissed, ignoring Armin's sentry. Abandoning any attempt to be quiet, he moved towards where they had left the horses as quickly as he could.

Spoiler
    Show
    if they're going to force a fight, Sieghard isn't going to be the one to start it (yet). Do you want to handle this like when Sieghard was chasing possessed Hanna? I'm assuming we have enough distance between us to not immediately be charged if we try running.

Also did Tatiana have any response?

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit

Manann's Keep

"There's a bit more to the story," he said. "Should I continue?"
    "I don't see what any of it has to do with what happened," said Tatiana, looking away and skipping another pebble into the stream. "You're saying the Jackal is the daemon?"

Sieghard & the Scouts

"Hey!" shouted the second man, as the Thorns began their hurried retreat. "Hey, we see you!" The third man enthusiastically brandished his spear. "Yeah, you'd better run!"

The seven of them fell back a fair way into the trees, until Armin's sentries were out of sight and they were satisfied that they were not being followed. One of the Thorns looked round at the others.

"Reckon they're still there, then," he said. "No sense guarding a camp you've left behind."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard with Tatiana

"No, the Jackal's a vampire, not a daemon," Sieghard said. "But the two are after the same thing. What's in that box..." he hesitated, not sure how much to say. "Well, it's dangerous. Daemons were trying to get it before, but we stopped them... Me and Elsa and Ludo and Adelbert and a friend of ours named Viggo that you never met. Since then we've kept it under lock and key to stop anyone who'd want to use it from getting their hands on it."

"You can feel magic, right? That's something wizards can do, isn't it? When you started digging, did you feel anything coming from the dirt beneath you?"

With Scouts

Sieghard nodded. "Seems like it." He wasn't sure if they'd stick around after spotting the scouting party, but with so many in their camp, if they did move, it would be slow and the trail would be impossible to miss.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard's dignified explanation was rather undercut by Ludo's arrival, goat in tow. Bracing himself to stop the animal from dragging him into the water, Ludo greeted Tatiana.

"How are you feeling? Must be nice to be out in the fresh air. Has Lottie come by?"

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit

Manann's Keep

"You can feel magic, right? That's something wizards can do, isn't it? When you started digging, did you feel anything coming from the dirt beneath you?"
    The question seemed to get Tatiana's attention in a way that Sieghard hadn't before. "I didn't... I don't know," she said, sounding thoroughly miserable "A lot of things were happening. Yuda was talking, and I felt... " - she trailed off - "...cold." She hesitated. "I think I heard other voices, whispering... but I couldn't understand."

"How are you feeling? Must be nice to be out in the fresh air. Has Lottie come by?"
    She shook her head, peering round Ludo to look at the goat. "What's the goat for?" she asked.

Sieghard & the Scouts

Returning to where they had left the horses, Sieghard's scouts rode back towards the road. The night was closing in, and though the intermittent rains had ceased, the air was cold. They pitched a rudimentary camp in the shelter of a warped old beech tree, lighting no fire to keep any wandering watchers from stumbling across them. In the morning, they would return to the Prince.

8th Kaldezeit

Valdes led the march out of Manann's Keep, his heterogeneous force of men, dwarfs, halflings and ogres snaking out through the narrow opening in the earthworks guarding the east side of the town. Skorgrund watched as Grunlok's warriors marched out behind the rumbling wagons that carried Alvarr's catapults. He and the seven Dwimmulsons who had volunteered to help with Urgrim's expedition were remaining behind, though the younger dwarfs among them looked like they would rather be marching with the others.

A gaggle of camp followers trailed behind the column as it left town; as they hove out of view, Manann's Keep was already beginning to feel quieter. Half the Iron Company still remained, along with the Thorns and the Falcons who had survived Sforza's midnight purge. The northern mercenaries seemed taken up with some vigorous internal discussions - Ludo thought he overheard at least one argument between Volker and his subordinates. Whether they came to anything, he didn't know.

It was mid-afternoon when Sieghard and his scouts returned to town. Riding up to the fort, Sieghard found Sforza inspecting his armour. With the trial behind them and Irene sent back to Savonne, the Prince seemed a lot less on edge.

"Sieghard," he said. "You've found them?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-11-18 at 06:53 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, we thought that some cheese might be... no. He's for you, if you want him. It must have been very upsetting, what happened to Philip and Yuda... hopefully he can be someone to talk to. His name is, um, Peter."

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard with Tatiana

"Cold sounds right," Sieghard said, "The box it's in is supposed to dampen the magic. But even with that and it still buried, you could feel it." He paused. "Something like that in the hands of someone who wanted to use it, well, it wouldn't be good. Daemons or a vampire or anyone. I don't know if the Reaches could survive that." He looked over as Ludo approached. "I've been telling Tatiana the parts of what happened that she wouldn't have known about."

He turned back to Tatiana. "You already heard what happened after so I can skip over the reason we chased the vampire to that ruin if you don't care about the details. Was there anything you're still unsure about that I could explain?"

8th Kaldezeit

"They set sentries," Sieghard replied. "We were spotted before we were able to get close enough to see the camp itself, but I can't imagine they'd be keeping guard if they had already packed up and moved on."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-11-18 at 11:57 AM.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit

Tatiana gave the young goat a circumspect look. He didn't seem to take offence, and started nibbling on her sleeve.

"Um... thank you."

"You already heard what happened after so I can skip over the reason we chased the vampire to that ruin if you don't care about the details. Was there anything you're still unsure about that I could explain?"
    Her attention was focused on the goat now, but Tatiana seemed to take a moment thinking about the question. She reached out to stroke Peter's ear.

"Why does the Princess hate mistress Holt so much?" she asked. "Did she do something to her?"

8th Kaldezeit

"Hm," said Sforza, not sounding best pleased. "So they know we're looking for them. Ready to bolt if they see us coming, perhaps."

He picked up one of his gauntlets, sliding his hand into it and testing the joints. "I don't want this preacher slipping through our fingers. We'll set out first thing tomorrow - my Iron Company, the Thorns and the Falcons. You and Volker can take your forces out wide around their camp, surround them before we show our hand." He looked to Sieghard. "Any questions?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo was far too experienced of a diplomat to say "its just what women do". Instead he offered "I don't think so. I think maybe the Princess didn't like how Elsa left a comfortable Altdorf life to come here, since that's what she wants. I don't know."

"Did the princess say anything to you? After what happened but before the trial?"

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard with Tatiana

"I can't think of any reason for it," Sieghard replied, "It's just always been that way. Ever since she first entered the Prince's service." He paused. "It might be a better question to ask her yourself," he continued, "She cares about you. If there's more to it than we know, I'm sure she'd tell you."

8th Kaldezeit

"Only one, my prince," Sieghard said. "Do you have plans for the people he's fooled into following him? Most of them are no more than desperate farmers who lost everything in the war. Many are old men or young children who can't see him for what he is and follow him only because they have nothing else."

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit

"Did the princess say anything to you? After what happened but before the trial?"
    "She came down to talk to us in the cellar," Tatiana said, quietly. "...To talk to Mistress Holt," she corrected herself. "She seemed... happy about it. She said she was going to have her drowned."

"I can't think of any reason for it," Sieghard replied, "It's just always been that way. Ever since she first entered the Prince's service." He paused. "It might be a better question to ask her yourself," he continued, "She cares about you. If there's more to it than we know, I'm sure she'd tell you."
    "I'm not sure she would," said Tatiana. She looked more intently at the goat, drawing it closer to scratch it behind the ears. It continued munching contentedly on her clothes. "I'm not sure she does."

8th Kaldezeit

"Well, we can hardly leave them camped out there," said Sforza. From his breezy tone he clearly didn't consider their plight his problem. "The road to Last Water needs to remain safe, and it'd be asking for another rabble-rouser to come along. We'll see who stands up to their leader when we come for him, make a stern example. The rest - " - he made a gesture like tipping sand out of the palm of his hand. "We'll bring them back to Manann's Keep, and from there they can go where they please. As long as they don't go together."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

"Me and Sieghard have known her for as long as anyone," Ludo said. "She's not... the best at dealing with people. Being a wizard means people treat you strangely - not even in the way that the Princess did, more like... strange looks. Which makes her a bit strange in response. But we know her well enough to know how she feels about things, and she likes you and cares about you. You're the only wizard she's met in a while, and she's going to be the only other wizard you'll meet for a while... so she knows a lot of the ways that feels strange. And you mean a lot to her. She feels responsible for what happens to you."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show

I think a Charm Test is relevant here? (1d100)[66]

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard, Ludo, Tatiana

"Ludo's right," Sieghard assured her, "She took a shine to you the moment she met you. I think there's a part of her that's just happy to have someone else
    who sees magic like she does that she can talk to.
    "

8th Kaldezeit

Sieghard nodded. It was about the best that could be expected and likely what he would've chosen if it was his decision to make. "I only hope they'll see the sense in that."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-11-21 at 02:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit

“She doesn’t talk to me, though,” said Tatiana. Her voice was quiet; she didn’t meet their eyes. “The whole time we were down there, she didn’t even try.”

Peter the goat had now established to his satisfaction that her clothes weren’t edible, and bent his head down to drink from the moat instead. Tatiana ran her fingers through the rough hair on his back.

“I talked more to Lottie and the others in the Teeth than I do to anyone here.”

8th Kaldezeit

“If they don’t,” said Sforza, “then that will be their choice to make.”

The remainder of the day passed without much worth remarking on. Down at the Star, Urgrim’s seven Dwimmulson volunteers were gathered around a table with Skorgrund. The old dwarf hailed Urgrim as he was passing through.

“The grombolgi’s back, isn’t he?” demanded Rollik. “When are we going to make a move?”

Lunn nodded. “Grunlok and the rest of the muster are out doing something useful. We didn’t come down here to fart about chasing manlings through the woods.”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    These comments are addressed to Urgrim, but if any of you want to insert yourselves into the scene feel free.

Bezahltag, 9th Kaldezeit

Elsa was woken at the crack of dawn by the sound of the Iron Company getting ready to march. Armour was jangling and rapid Tilean orders were being shouted in the yard outside. Rousing herself reluctantly from her bed, she found an equally bleary-looking Barbaro packing a bag in the pantry.

“We’re off to find your friend Sieghard’s troublemaker,” he said. “You’d better get a saddle on that horse of yours. None of the stable-hands want to go near it.”

Down by the west bridge, the remaining Falcons were drawn up on horseback, at the ready. Ludo counted thirty-five of them, as well as Volker. They were mostly the younger soldiers, the veterans among them having been disproportionately caught up in Sforza’s purge. Some of them couldn’t help but give the Iron Company sidelong looks as the Tileans came marching down out of the fort.

Lottie was waiting a little way off the main road, her tattered raincloak pulled up over her head despite the lack of rain. She looked up at Ludo as he approached.

“You still think this is going to end peacefully?” she said, keeping her voice down as she looked back over her shoulder at the assembling soldiers. “This is a bloody army!”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

8th Kaldezeit

Hoping Ludo had sufficiently paved the way for this, Elsa spent some time that day trying to mend her relationship with Tatiana.

"Oh, I see you have a new goat. How's it called?"

She sat down by the girl's side. "Did the stablehands let you ride horses during your time in Savonne, Tattie? I just learned they brought Bastard down south with the rest of my things. We could do a quick ride to Handrich's Cross and back... The Hidden Vale is beautiful."

She paused. "It's my fault I didn't tell you everything you needed to know. You're not a child. From now on I'll let you know what's going on and what we're doing here. I owe you that."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not planning a huge time-split. This is just a quick thing.

Charm 54: (d100)[64]
    Fortune: (d100)[77]

9th Kaldezeit

Elsa saddled Bastard and led him by the bridle in search of Tatiana. As per her promise from yesterday, she quickly filled her in on the situation with Armin and how he had turned the group of refugees into something resembling a cult.

"You were one of theirs, once, so perhaps you can help us talk to them. We need to pull them away from Armin's influence without bloodshed. But I have to warn you that things can get very deadly, very fast. People who used to be kind to you may turn into your enemies in an instant. Don't come unless you're ready for anything."

"It's your choice."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-11-21 at 01:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit
    "She couldn't have said much, she was gagged," Ludo said, fairly he felt. "But you know Lottie and some of her friends are in town right now?"

9th Kaldezeit
    "I'm not in charge of this," Ludo said a little testily. "Sforza's agreed to let you come along, we'll go in and talk to everyone first, and then it's up to Armin how it goes. I'm trying my best but if you want me to stay here in the warm I'll do so."

He started walking with Lottie towards the muster proper, encountering Elsa and Tatiana coming from the other direction. "And... Tatiana's coming too?"
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2020-11-21 at 02:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Titan in the Playground

7th Kaldezeit

"But you know Lottie and some of her friends are in town right now?"
    Tatiana nodded. "I've seen them," she said.

8th Kaldezeit

Tatiana didn't respond to Elsa's questions about the goat or the stables. As the silence between them swallowed her words, Elsa reflected that maybe trying to mollify her with a horseback ride didn't go too well with the acknowledgement that she wasn't a child.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    She paused. "It's my fault I didn't tell you everything you needed to know. You're not a child. From now on I'll let you know what's going on and what we're doing here. I owe you that."
    Tatiana waited for a long time before answering. "...I'm sorry too," she said, at last. "I... should have been more careful."

9th Kaldezeit

Mounting his much smaller palfrey, Barbaro rode out after Elsa, doing his best to keep up. He leaned forward in the saddle when Elsa offered Tatiana the choice of whether to come with them.

<Are you sure that's a good idea?> he murmured in Tilean. <You remember what happened the last time you left her unsupervised...>

"I'll come," said Tatiana, looking determined. "If they're in trouble, I want to help."

~

9th Kaldezeit
    "I'm not in charge of this," Ludo said a little testily. "Sforza's agreed to let you come along, we'll go in and talk to everyone first, and then it's up to Armin how it goes. I'm trying my best but if you want me to stay here in the warm I'll do so."
    "Oooooh, little old me can't do anything," said Lottie in a small, high-pitched voice. "Ooooh, I'm only small, I'm not in charge. That's you, Stubbs, that's how you sound."

Pulling her cloak tight around her, as if afraid of being recognised, she followed Ludo warily back towards the waiting troops. Her caution evaporated when she saw Tatiana - dropping her hood, she ran across the dirt road to embrace her old friend. Tatiana hugged her back, seeming more happy and alive in that moment than she had in a good while.

The two of them were still talking, going over the names of the friends that Lottie had brought safely back to Manann's Keep, when Sforza rode down from the castle. Clad in his full armour astride his white horse, the Prince was an impressive sight. Lottie turned to gawp while Tatiana pretended to be blasé about mingling with the court.

"Daniele," said Sforza, acknowledging Barbaro with the barest nod. "Holt." No nod for Elsa. He turned to Sieghard and Volker. "The men are ready?"

"Ready and at your disposal, your highness," said Volker.

"Good," said Sforza. "Sieghard, lead the way."

~

With the majority of their force on foot, it took most of the day's march to return to the woods where Armin had made his camp. The sky was darkening when the Thorns in the vanguard reached the point that Sieghard judged to be the closest they could get without being seen. Through the stunted trees behind them, the Iron Company and the Falcons caught up, boots crunching over the carpet of fallen leaves.

"Why have we stopped?" asked Sforza, riding forwards. "Are we here?"

When Sieghard had filled him in, he nodded and issued his orders. "Volker, take your men round to the east. Sieghard, the west. Keep your distance and form a perimeter behind the camp." He looked to Elsa. "Holt, if I send you with them, can you give a signal my men will see?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #836
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "Oooooh, little old me can't do anything," said Lottie in a small, high-pitched voice. "Ooooh, I'm only small, I'm not in charge. That's you, Stubbs, that's how you sound."
    "And what would you have him do if they're convinced to follow Armin to their deaths?" Sieghard asked as he approached from the other direction. "Leave them on their own to keep murdering people and eating their flesh? Let him lead them to abandon their gods and become slaves to a monster that would feed the old folk and children you're so worried about to his other slaves? You're coming with because there's a chance they might listen to you and abandon him before he leads them to their doom. What hope is left for them if they refuse to listen?"

For his own part, Sieghard already considered them lost. He wouldn't have it said that he didn't try, however.

Spoiler
    Show
    A couple of different signals to mean different things might be a good idea. "They've surrendered." "They're refuse to surrender." "They're attacking." "Vampire." etc.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

8th Kaldezeit

"...I'm sorry too. I... should have been more careful."

Elsa gave Tatiana a thin smile. "Don't trust blindly. That's all I'm asking you. If I can be forward with you, you're... not that great at reading people's intentions. But that's something you'll learn."

9th Kaldezeit

"I'll come," said Tatiana, looking determined. "If they're in trouble, I want to help."

Elsa nodded approvingly. "They're more likely to listen to you than to me. They'll be hungry, so maybe we can find an animal and you can lead it to them for old times' sake. Just... don't grow attached to it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there time to buy a pig or a sheep or some old horse on our way out? If not, maybe we can find a deer or boar in the forest. I certainly won't ask Tattie to sacrifice her new goat.

"Holt, if I send you with them, can you give a signal my men will see?" asked Sforza.

"Yes. But how about one they will hear?" asked Elsa. "Like a crack of thunder?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-11-22 at 11:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

Much as Ludo had been tempted to abandon Lottie and spend the day in the pub with a pie, he headed out with the others: his first long journey since his injuries on the road. It was a painful day's march, and Lottie and Sieghard's sniping had not improved his mood.

As they began the process of enfilading the camp, Ludo approached Sforza. He hated talking to people on horseback.

"Mio Principe, I mentioned the other day about going in to speak to Armin first? I have here Fraulein Cinderhill, who travelled with these people for some time. Once the camp's encircled, we'd like to head in, and encourage the people to put down their weapons and come quietly. Armin is a maniac but if we can persuade his followers not to resist, we might be able to avoid any unnecessary unpleasantness."

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

8th Kaldezeit

"I'm going because I choose to go," said Lottie, looking up at Sieghard with undisguised contempt. "I don't care what you think the reason is, so you can save your breath."

9th Kaldezeit

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "Yes. But how about one they will hear?" asked Elsa. "Like a crack of thunder?"
    "Thunder will do," said Sforza. He paused for a moment in thought. "Go with Sieghard. When you have made contact with Volker again behind the camp, send up the signal, and hold your position."

"Mio Principe, I mentioned the other day about going in to speak to Armin first? I have here Fraulein Cinderhill, who travelled with these people for some time. Once the camp's encircled, we'd like to head in, and encourage the people to put down their weapons and come quietly. Armin is a maniac but if we can persuade his followers not to resist, we might be able to avoid any unnecessary unpleasantness."
    Sforza looked down at the two halflings. Lottie was glowering at him in a way that hardly seemed helpful - but the Prince was above the baleful stares of peasants.

"Very well," he said. "Wait for Holt's signal before you show yourself. The Iron Company will be close behind you." He nodded towards the trees. "Go now."
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-11-23 at 06:33 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo nodded and thanked Sforza and crept forward with Lottie, staying in the undergrowth only a little way ahead of the Iron Company.

"I don't suppose there's any point in telling you to just run away and keep out of this if things go badly?" he muttered to Lottie.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth vs 84 (1d100)[27]