New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

Urgrim gripped Sieghard's hand firmly. "Well, it's good to know that, because I wasn't sure. And I hear what you say. I'll see if I can learn anything more about it from their records without revealing we have it."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa walked in on Sieghard and Urgrim's discussion, causing a brief, chilly silence. She cleared her throat: "Might be best if some of us stay here, in case the city needs defending. So who are we sending north to Savonne?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm going," Urgrim said. "Trying to track down Sieghard's horse first, though, so your letter should probably go with a rider. But I can take care of anything less urgent you want me to, while I'm there."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

"Good," said Elsa with a nod. "If Sforza wants us to remain in Manann's Keep for the foreseeable future, I'd like you to fetch me my horse, my spare clothes and my books. And have Tatiana come over. It's dangerous for a wizard to remain half-trained."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

annoyed Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown XII

Urgrim blinked. "I was thinking, more like, take a message ..." he said, letting those words hang in the air for a few moments. "S'pose I could look into hiring a coach for you, to bring Tattie and your things down."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

As the day drew to its end, the Thorns bedded down in the old fort, throwing down their packs and pulling off dust-filled boots in barracks that had last housed the Iron Company. Thin trails of smoke rose from behind the wooden walls as they rummaged up what hot food they could, sharing around bowls of stew in demoralised silence. Small as it was, Evatt’s fort still felt too big - the empty spaces around the table were like open wounds.

Ambrose the barber-surgeon had done as neat a job as could be asked with a bonesaw and hot tar, and had entrusted the newly one-legged Hamlyn back to Adelbert’s care. Looking out over his slumbering patient towards the window, Adelbert saw the moons come out over the hills. He wondered if, somewhere out there, the Jackal was gazing back.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't want to hold the game up for odds and ends like working out Elsa's shipping arrangements, but do feel free to carry on any conversations I'm interrupting in a timesplit.

Aubentag, 15th Brauzeit

The next day, Ludo stepped out early into the chilly autumn morning, wanting to lose no time in setting out for Last Water. Sieghard and Urgrim were already up and talking with Sussman, who looked to be feeling a bit besieged.

“Look, I’m sorry gentlemen, but I can’t give you more horses than I’ve got, you know? We’re not exactly keeping a stables here.” He motioned to Ludo as he approached. “I’ve got the pony for your friend, and then I can find you one, maybe two more… if you want more than that, you’ll have to go out into the town, see what the ostler’s got in stock.”

When Ludo asked after Lottie, Sussman nodded. “Turned up a couple of days back, with a couple dozen waifs and strays. I’ve put them up in the old south barracks, until they can get their feet under them at least.” He gave a strained smile. “Of course, if the army comes back south, the Captain - the Prince, sorry - well, he’s going to need those bunks.”

~

Sieghard & Urgrim

Setting out from the town with Sieghard and a handful of Thorns, Urgrim retraced their steps back to where they’d left the trail of Sieghard’s horse. The tracks were still reasonably fresh: the trackers followed them north until the sun was well past its zenith. Nowhere did the horse show any sign of having slowed.

In a forester’s hut near the Painford road, they found a woman who claimed to have seen it. A hunter by the name of Anejka, she was wary of seeing so many armed men - but for whatever reason, she seemed to trust a dwarf.

“I saw it yesterday morning. A big bay gelding, right? Rich man’s horse.” She shot a glance at Sieghard in his armour. “Came out of the hut because I heard it… screaming. Not normal horse noises at all. Sounded almost like a person.”

She pointed over to a clearing between the trees. “It was thrashing about on the ground there, like it was in pain. I went to get my bow, to put it out of its misery - but it jumped up and took off before I could put an arrow to it. Looked like it was heading for the road.” She hesitated. “It, uh… it left these behind.”

Picking up a wooden bucket from outside her door, she held it out towards Urgrim. At the bottom were a jumble of long, equine teeth, their roots still stained with reasonably fresh blood. They weren’t broken - they looked as if they had fallen clean out of its skull.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Sieghard wants to get back to Mannan’s Keep before nightfall, this is the limit of how far he can follow the trail.

~

Elsa

Back in Manann’s Keep, an atmosphere of impending doom was beginning to grip the town. Word had got out about what had happened in the hills - or at least, some part of the story - and the townsfolk were rapidly realising how little stood between them and an unknown enemy. By noon, a small delegation had beaten a path to Elsa’s door.

“Is it true the commander’s left us for dead?” demanded Herr Ardelean the miller, wringing his hat between his hands. “We’re hearing he rode out for the city.”
    “They say the soldiers are abandoning their posts!” said the proprietor of the Star. “One of my barmaids says she saw four of ‘em this morning, slipping off into the woods!”
    “What are we going to do if something comes out of the hills? The moat only faces north!” gabbled a plump woman in a blue dress and a noticeable state of panic. “We’re defenceless!”

“Ladies, gentlemen!” said Sussman, holding up his hands to the anxious elders. “Everything’s under control. Commander Sieghard’s just gone on a… temporary reconnaissance, and even now the Iron Company are marching to relieve us. In the meantime, we’ve got a regiment of crossbowmen and the Prince’s own wizard.” He looked to Elsa. “Isn’t that right, Magister?”

Elsa had been around that morning, and happened to know that Sussman had been down to the ostler’s to secure the man’s fastest horse for himself just after Sieghard had left. The animal was tethered just inside the gates of the fort.

Bezahltag, 18th Brauzeit

Ludo & Adelbert

Striking out across the Thornwood and into the Iron Claw Hills, Ludo and Adelbert had ample time to reflect on their four-day journey to Last Water. Moltke, Jenssen and three Thorns went with them, armed and alert.

They passed through the silent shell of Caerfort, the darkened windows of the houses gaping like empty eye-sockets. None of them wanted to spend the night there - they pressed on, making camp in a hollow beyond the village.

“What is he?” asked Moltke, as they sat around their fire. “The vampire. The Preceptor always talked about them as if... as if they were less than us. The Geistenmund beast, Madame Babelin..."

Jens coughed. “Um. Well. Not sure Madame Babelin was a vampire, now you mention it.” He winced as he saw Moltke’s shocked expression. “Maybe just… someone who’d got on the wrong side of too many people. But the Preceptor, Morr rest ‘im, he always said better safe than sorry…”

Feeling the silence yawn between them like a pit, the old sergeant tried to fill it. “Most of ‘em are animals, miss. They’re faster’n us, and stronger’n us, but they can’t control the hunger that’s in ‘em. Only a matter of time between ‘em getting turned and running onto a rowan stake.” He prodded the fire with the head of his axe, sending up a cloud of embers. “It’s the ones that master the dark inside ‘em, that live to get old - those are the ones you hear the old knights talking about, back at the abbey. The von Carstein Counts, and the Vampire Wars.”

“I never heard of no Jackal before I came here, but from what we saw back there, I’d say he’s as old and wicked as they come. Could take a whole chapter of knights to put a creature like that back in its grave.” He paused, then prodded the fire again, as if suddenly in want of more light. “But don’t worry, miss. One thing we know for sure… Morr’s on our side.”

~

As they drew closer to Last Water, they found themselves walking into a fierce wind from the west. It blew over the tops of the hills, carrying the pale dust of the Waste with it. The sand accumulated on rocks and ridges, giving the rugged scenery along the road a ghostly tinge of white.

On the eighteenth, they reached the foot of the Winding Pass. At the top, two men from Viktor’s Volunteers were guarding the gate - they looked pleasantly surprised to see Ludo.

“How about this weather? Windy, eh?” asked the more outgoing of the two. “You looking for the Lord-Lieutenant, mister Stubbs? He ain’t in town at the moment. Took off for Sermena a few days ago. We're supposed to be holding the fort here ‘til he gets back.” The man leaned against the gatepost. “I’m sure old Zollner'll be pleased to see you again.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-07-30 at 04:02 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thragka View Post
    Urgrim blinked. "I was thinking, more like, take a message ..." he said, letting those words hang in the air for a few moments. "S'pose I could look into hiring a coach for you, to bring Tattie and your things down."
    "Just tell Tattie to bring me my things herself," said Elsa with a shrug. Bastard was fierce, but the girl had a way with animals. "But only if Sforza can be convinced to send us reinforcements, so that she can ride with them. I won't have her risk the road alone."

We've already rescued her from goblins once...

"She can bring her goats," added Elsa, almost as an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    “Ladies, gentlemen!” said Sussman, holding up his hands to the anxious elders. “Everything’s under control. Commander Sieghard’s just gone on a… temporary reconnaissance, and even now the Iron Company are marching to relieve us. In the meantime, we’ve got a regiment of crossbowmen and the Prince’s own wizard.” He looked to Elsa. “Isn’t that right, Magister?”
    Elsa cleared her throat. She did not have much experience at this sort of thing. "That's correct," she said, addressing the crowd. "Our Thorns may not be many, but they are brave and battle-hardened. Commander Sieghard is hard at work making sure the countryside is safe and no one is left alone and defenseless. For those who may doubt his valor, remember that he is the one who slew the Orc king at the foot of this town's walls. And once the Iron Company is here, Manann's Keep will withstand any attack... assuming there is even one. They've saved this place before and can do so again."

She had no trust in Sussman when it came to defending the town. She did not have much trust in herself, either, but she still believed she could do a better job than the smarmy merchant, if it came to that.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Let's try a Charm test. No Public Speaking, unfortunately, but it's on the Noble's advance sheet.

Target 44: (d100)[81]
    Fortune: (d100)[77]

Real pity. I was hoping I could use this opportunity to have Elsa grow into a leadership role, in keeping with her Noble career, but with those rolls...
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-29 at 10:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Wellentag, 14th Brauzeit

"Alright," Urgrim said lightly. He wasn't going to press the point.

To both Sieghard and Elsa, he asked, "D'you think it's worth my talking to the Prince, or one of his officers? In case they have questions for someone who was actually there."

Aubentag, 15th Brauzeit

The next morning, Urgrim made sure to catch Jenssen, Moltke and Ludo before they departed. He shook the northerners' hands. "I owe you my life. I won't soon forget it. I'm glad you're staying with us."

He turned to Ludo and embraced the halfling. "Be safe. Good luck, you, and your family."

~

Urgrim took the teeth from Anejka's pail. "The Steward of Painford thanks you," he said to her, with half a smile and the slightest nod towards Sieghard. "Good hunting. Be careful – there are foul things abroad." He added a few words in the Ranger tongue. "The walking dead."

He showed the teeth in his hands to Sieghard. "You sure you actually want the creature back, if we can find it? Reckon it might be beyond being any good to you, now."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-07-30 at 03:25 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 15th Brauzeit

Ardelean threw up his hands. "Making sure the countryside is safe? Bugger that, what about us? Aren't there more people here?"

The woman in blue nodded. "I'm not waiting around to be slaughtered in my own bed!" she said. "I'm going to my cousin at Handrich's Cross. At least there we'll get some warning!"

True to her word, she was on the first cart that rattled over the north bridge later that afternoon, laden down with all the possessions she couldn't bear to lose - which seemed to be quite a few. Walking around the town, Elsa could see others making preparations to follow suit. Fear had planted its roots in Manann's Keep, and all the hustle and bustle of the town was coming to a halt as it spread its branches. Parents scooped their playing children out of the streets, worried faces peering out of upper-storey windows.

"If they'd followed you, they'd be here by now," Sussman reassured himself, looking out towards the grey clouds still hanging in the south. "Right?" He gnawed absent-mindedly at his thumbnail. "Manann's Keep doesn't matter to them. No reason they'd come here."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Real pity. I was hoping I could use this opportunity to have Elsa grow into a leadership role, in keeping with her Noble career, but with those rolls...
    Hey, a failure can be a better learning experience than a success!
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

15th Brauzeit - Sussman
    Ludo resisted the urge to throw his hands in the air: of course it wouldn't have been as simple as that... he'd done everything. If Armin was down by a couple of dozen dupes... fine. That would have to do. Should have killed him when he had the chance. "Anything you can do for them would be a personal favour for me... but I'm sure you'll have a lot on your plate. Maybe offer them to resettle Caerfort, if they don't mind what happened there."

15th Brauzeit - Urgi
    "You as well," Ludo said. "I'm sorry I can't come with you, but... I need to know what's happened, you know. Give my regards to Skorgrund and the Rinn."

A thought occured to him. "How well do you think they would take the suggestion to go back into Kheneb and speak to the dead priestess there? Each dwarf would be worth ten men down in there."

On The Journey
    "Klammenberg - the magician we're hunting - described him as the "child in darkness of ... O'soran? U-shoran?" which was one of the very first vampires, so that means he's... second-generation vampire?"

And we still drove him off - apparently Sieghard got him with the spear and he ran away before we could shoot silver arrows at him. We... we lost so much but he ran away in the end, right?"

Ludo wasn't looking at any of the group when he asked that, instead making eye contact with Ortwin, who had been sitting far from the fire, the dim light casting him strangely.

Ludo had no memory of ordering Ortwin along with them, and in fact wasn't sure he'd seen him since fleeing the building, back when they had first been attacked by ghosts, and the pit of his stomach felt heavy.

18th Brauzeit (Four days healing)
    "Any news from that way?" Ludo asked anxiously. "I sent him a warning so he headed out based on that, but if anyone's come from there more recently..."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Aubentag, 15th Brauzeit – Ludo and Urgrim

Urgrim considered the question. "I think the Rinn would listen to the suggestion, and take it better than the Prince or the Preceptor did," he said. "To be honest, my first thought was to try to tell the Rinn alone about the spear, and not Skorgrund. He's a bit ... well. You know what he's like." He rolled his eyes. "Now, Sieghard didn't want me to tell them about the spear at all. But I don't know how much I can learn without telling the Rinn we have it. I understand Sieghard's concern, such as it extends to humans, but he knows about as much as his horse about the way the dawi think about these things. I meant what I said to him, though. I've no intention of letting the Dwimmulsons take it off him while he and the enemy are still breathing. Well, you know what I mean."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"D'you think it's worth my talking to the Prince, or one of his officers? In case they have questions for someone who was actually there."

"I assumed that was part of your plan already," said Elsa, arching an eyebrow. "I know you don't have much standing with the Prince, but do make sure he knows that we need reinforcements quickly. With the war for Savonne over and done with, he has no excuse to keep his soldiers idle while a new enemy is wiping whole villages off the map."

15th Brauzeit

"Making sure the countryside is safe? Bugger that, what about us? Aren't there more people here?"
    Elsa repressed a sigh. "Yes. That's the point. He looks out for those who would be easy prey; unlike us. But I assure you, there is no reason to believe the enemy is coming for us in the next few days."

She knew for sure that Nahorek would not sit on Nath forever, and could only hope that he was still too weak to make a direct move against a fortified town.

"If it's moats and fortifications you're worried about, we'll get them soon. We can even get started now. I'll scrape together the money for wages."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa usually carries around 20 gc on her (she dares not go search for her hidden stashes on her own). 20 gc is a lot of man-hours for the working class, but it's probably couch pennies compared to what Sussman's treasury (or Sussman's own fortune) can contribute. He once paid her hundreds for her Potion of Teeth.

Charm 44 test to convince Sussman to crack open the city coffers. Even if he means to GTFO when the sh!t hits the fan, surely he can see the use in turning Manann's Keep into a major speed bump for the enemy. (d100)[41]

"If they'd followed you, they'd be here by now," Sussman reassured himself, looking out towards the grey clouds still hanging in the south. "Right?" He gnawed absent-mindedly at his thumbnail. "Manann's Keep doesn't matter to them. No reason they'd come here."
    Elsa just nodded absent-mindedly. His reasoning made sense... but she had been through many things so far that did not seem to make much sense. Nahorek kept his cards close to his chest. They still did not know what he even needed the Caerforters for, apart from bodies to fill his armies.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-30 at 10:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo & Adelbert, on the journey

"We... we lost so much but he ran away in the end, right?"
    "Well, I didn't see all of that go down," said Jens. He looked around at the Thorns, who looked blank - they had been with Rike on the outskirts when the action had happened. "But it does seem to me like we did most of the runnin'. Not that there's anything wrong with running, mind you. Damn sight better than dying." He shrugged. "But he's still there, and we're not."

Ludo & Adelbert, 18th Brauzeit

"Any news from that way?" Ludo asked anxiously. "I sent him a warning so he headed out based on that, but if anyone's come from there more recently..."
    The two sentries looked at one another. "Haven't heard anything out of the ordinary," said the first. "Daresay you can find someone who's been that way at the Chalice, there's still plenty of trade on the road."
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-07-30 at 03:29 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Good hunting. Be careful – there are foul things abroad."

"They only move under cover of darkness from what I've seen," Sieghard told her. "You should be safe going about your business during the day, but make sure you're somewhere secure by nightfall."

"You sure you actually want the creature back, if we can find it? Reckon it might be beyond being any good to you, now."

Sieghard took a couple of the teeth from Urgrum. Perhaps he could have Adelbert take a look at them. "If nothing else, I think we need to know what happened to it. I have my suspicions..." He glanced back at Anejka's hut to make sure she was still there. "Maybe the daemon who tried to take Hanna settled for the horse after we didn't let it take her. Not the sort of thing we can let run around if that's the case." He sighed, frustrated to lose another horse to something like this. "If you find it, use your judgement."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard will head back to Manaan's Keep rather than accompany Urgrim further
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2020-07-30 at 12:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Wellentag, 14th Brauzeit – Urgrim, Sieghard, Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by -Sentinel- View Post
    "D'you think it's worth my talking to the Prince, or one of his officers? In case they have questions for someone who was actually there."

"I assumed that was part of your plan already," said Elsa, arching an eyebrow. "I know you don't have much standing with the Prince, but do make sure he knows that we need reinforcements quickly. With the war for Savonne over and done with, he has no excuse to keep his soldiers idle while a new enemy is wiping whole villages off the map."
    Now Urgrim gave Elsa an antipathetic look. "I'm going to the Dwimmulhold. I'm not one of Sforza's officers. But aye, I'll call in on his court when I'm in Savonne. In case your letter hasn't given him the full idea."

Aubentag, 15th Brauzeit – Urgrim & Sieghard

"Aye, I will," Urgrim said with a nod. He shivered, and put his hand to his talisman. "Wish we didn't even have to consider these questions about unholy things. You want me to keep quiet on that to the Prince?"
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-07-30 at 12:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard hesitated. "If I'm right, then he needs to know that there's daemons that broke free from Nath during the battle and that they're about," he said, picking his works carefully. "He doesn't need to know how that happened or what they tried to do to Hanna. You weren't in the building at the end, you didn't see how they got loose," he added meaningfully.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim and Sieghard

Urgrim nodded. "Aye, understood." He stood awkwardly for a moment, then held out his hand. "Here's hoping you've only boredom to report the next time we see each other. Gods keep you 'til then."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Happy to split. Urgrim will follow the horse tracks as best as he can, though not e.g. into the marsh, and hoping to make Painford that night.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 15th Brauzeit

When the town elders had left, Sussman listened to Elsa’s ideas for fortifications with a reluctant expression.

“Forgive me, that all sounds very… worthy… but is it really going to help?” He gave a nervous laugh. “I mean, you read me your letter. Storms, ghosts… are we really going to stop any of that with a ditch? Either the army gets here in time, or it doesn’t, that’s the way I’m seeing it.”

He walked over to the window and looked out toward the hills.

“If the commander thinks that’s the best use of his soldiers’ time, I can probably find a few spare hands to help them. Stubbs’ refugees, maybe. Don’t know how much they can achieve before the army gets here, but it’ll give them something to do.” He squinted at the horizon. “Between you and me, though? I didn’t want to start a panic, but if we see something coming out of those hills before the Iron Company arrives, best thing we can do is run.”

Urgrim, 18th Brauzeit

Urgrim’s route back to the city took him by Arrow Heap, through fields that were now barren swathes of stubble after the reaping. Here and there, he found signs that Sieghard’s horse had passed the same way - but once the prints reached the road, it was much harder to be sure, mixed as they were with all the traffic that flowed between the Downlands and the Hidden Vale.

At a farmstead within sight of the bridge of Savonne, he found the strongest confirmation that he was still on the animal’s trail since he’d left the Thornwood. It came in the form of the anxious old widow who kept the place, asking if he’d seen her son.

“He should have been back by now,” she kept repeating, wringing a grubby grey handkerchief between her hands. “I know boys that age want to have their adventures, but he was only supposed to be taking that horse to market… I just worry something’s happened to him. There’s folk in the city who’d take advantage of a trusting lad like my Tomas.”

When Urgrim pressed her about the horse, she was quick to explain.

“Aye, we just found it, wandering about in the yard. Couldn’t afford to keep a great beast like that, but with the harvest so poor this year, Tomas thought we could sell it. I saw him saddle it up and ride it off toward the bridge. That was two days back… he should’ve been back that same night!” By now she had twisted her handkerchief so tightly that it seemed likely to tear. “I’d go after him myself, but I daren’t leave the farm… I’m at my wits’ end.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-07-30 at 03:32 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

On the Journey
    Ludo had made a good-faith attempt at morale boosting, and was hardly in the mood to push the subject: he made a noncommittal noise.

18th Brauzeit
    No news in this case was... maybe good news. "Thanks. Can't stay long I'm afraid, I'll pay my respects to Sargeant Zollner. Moltke, you come with me: Adelbert, can you head to the Chalice and see if there's any news there, then i'll meet you and we can have a night under cover for a change."

After seeking out Nat, Ludo greeted him warmly before getting down to brass tacks. "They say Valdez went to Sermena himself, a few days back? Did he tell you much about what he was headed there for?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Nat had set up a desk in one of the old barracks buildings in the palace yard - he clearly didn't feel comfortable inside the Sforzas' palatial villa, however long it had been since they last occupied it. He seemed genuinely happy to see Ludo, ushering him in and shouting for one of the Volunteers to bring his guests something to drink.

"Nice to meet you too, miss," he said, seeing Moltke. "You don't look like a Thorn, if you don't mind my saying - is the old Commander starting up another regiment?"

"No," said Moltke, "not exactly." Before Zollner could press her further, Ludo got down to business.

"They say Valdez went to Sermena himself, a few days back? Did he tell you much about what he was headed there for?"
    "Aye, it's a manhunt. Said he had intelligence from yourself that Jon o' the - that this Klammenberg character was in Sermena. Brought by a little fellow on a pony." He counted to three on his fingers. "Took the Brotherhood, the Maneaters and the Gamecocks with him. If the man is there, he's going to have a nasty surprise."

~

Down the hill from the palace, the Chalice was much as Adelbert remembered it. There was Marek, morosely polishing the silverware; there were the barrels of Tilean wine that the Iron Company men had been so insistent on. Of course, with the army no longer garrisoned up the road, it felt a bit quieter - Adelbert found he liked it that way.

A woman at the bar claimed to have come from Sermena just this Marktag. All had seemed normal there, she said, but she'd seen the soldiers going the other way. "Can't see what they need so many men for," she said, looking into her cup. "Unless they're trying to raise old Stubbs' taxes."
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-07-30 at 03:28 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Brauzeit 18th
    That was reassuring, at least - whatever tricks Klammenberg had, Ludo couldn't see them working on a group of Maneaters. "I'll be heading over there to help myself. Has anything happened in his absence? Any illness? Any deaths, strange lights... when did this wind start blowing?"

He paused for a moment, thinking what else to say. "So it's just the volunteers here, right now? What about Isolici?"

"Do you remember... do you remember when Commander Sieghard took some of Viktor's men to Rivermouth and they didn't return? We had... another serious incident like that. The thorns are... there were a lot of casualties."

Ludo performed a brief, pained recounting of the events of the past few days.

"The Jackal is... in the ascendent. I think Last Water is probably as safe as anywhere, but you might want to make sure everyone is... ready for anything. Especially coming from the desert. But... quietly. Do you still have those silver swords we had made, back in Savonne?"

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim – Bezahltag, 18th Brauzeit

Urgrim listened to the widow patiently. "Well, I'm looking for the horse, so I'll keep an eye out for your Tomas. What can you tell me about him?"

He glanced around the rude farmstead, and fished a schilling from his purse. "Beg your pardon, but you wouldn't have a loaf of bread you could part with for a silver? It's been hungry going on the road."
    Last edited by Thragka; 2020-07-30 at 03:53 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo

Zollner's face fell as he listened to Ludo's account. "Gods preserve us," he said. "How many dead?"

"Think we've still got those blades in the company stores. I keep a tight ship where the inventory's concerned. Don't think we've any men in Isolici though - the Lord-Lieutenant didn't see the need, when everything comes up through the pass here."

"Haven't heard of any strange happenings in the town either. This wind... well, it's been coming in fits and starts for weeks. Stronger lately, I suppose." He raised an eyebrow at Ludo. "It ain't normal for Last Water, then?"

Urgrim

"You'll look for him?" said the woman, pathetically grateful. "He's seventeen," said the woman. "Fair hair, brown eyes. About so tall, and thin."

Darting back inside, she emerged with a small loaf of black bread and a block of hard cheese, wrapped in a cloth. "Here, take it. If you'll find my Tomas, that's more than payment enough."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Adelbert had been rather quiet the whole trip, though he did look over Ludo's wounds en-route. He didn't talk to Moltke, Jenssen or the three Thorns at all. What could he say?

Healing (Ludo):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal: (1d100)[77] vs 76
    Wounds: (1d10)[10]

Heal: (1d100)[19] vs 76
    Wounds: (1d10)[1]

Heal: (1d100)[36] vs 76
    Wounds: (1d10)[3]

Heal: (1d100)[5] vs 76
    Wounds: (1d10)[8]

In Mirino he perked up a bit (for someone who seemed more like a stereotypical priest of Morr than one of Verena now.) 'Meet me at the Chalice later,' he told Ludo. 'We can decide what do over some wine or ale and a proper meal.'

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 15th Brauzeit

"I think the ghosts are bound to Nath and cannot stray far from where they died," said Elsa cautiously. "Mind... I wouldn't wager everything on it, but I'm staying right here. Blades pass right through ghosts, but my magic is quite effective. Remind me, does the town have any priests? They may be able to help, too. In Nath, our priest-blessed weapons could hurt ghosts."

She was in favor of having the refugees help dig moats, though she warned Sussman that she expected them to be fairly compensated, and that their permission to stay in Manann's Keep was not to be contingent on them lending their labor.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-30 at 04:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Urgrim, Bezahltag 18th Brauzeit

Urgrim pressed the schilling into the woman's hand all the same. "I can't make you any promises. But if he helps me find what's become of the horse, we'll be even."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Happy to press on. Another Follow Trail, if you need it:
    Follow Trail 54 - (1d100)[33]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

"More than half," Ludo said mutedly. "And our allies, Moltke's people, knights of Morr... wiped out."

"You might want to send a couple of men to Isolici, keep an eye on things there... tell you if something changes. Did you hear about Caerfort... wiped off the map."

"This wind is... on the ragged edge of what's normal. If it's that consistent..."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 15th Brauzeit

“Well, if you want to stay and fight, that’s, uh, that’s your choice,” said Sussman. “But you know, these people aren’t fighters. They don’t know a spear from a spade.” He held up his hands, as if to forestall protest. “And there’s no shame in that! You’ve got what, twenty soldiers here? When there’s a whole army waiting to help us in Savonne. I think it was a great general who once said, he who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day.”

Urgrim, 18th Brauzeit

Crossing over the bridge, Urgrim found the city just as crowded and dirty as he remembered it. Hungry-looking humans shook their begging-bowls at him from the shadows of the river gate, men in the blue and green tunics of Norten’s city guard keeping the flow of traffic moving.

The day was coming to an end, but one of the guards recognised Urgrim’s description of Tomas. “I’d like to catch up with him myself,” he said. “Boy’s got a few questions to answer. Come and see.”

Entering one of the side-streets that led off the market, the halberdier brought Urgrim to the door of a rickety wooden shed. Inside, bluebottles were buzzing around a large, equine corpse.

“Kid turned his animal loose in the square, then ran off,” said the guard. “Second he was off it, bloody thing went berserk. You know how they say you don’t look a gift horse in the mouth?”

Using the butt of his halberd, he pushed up the dead horse’s lips. Underneath, Urgrim could see rows of sharp, predator’s teeth pushing out of its gums. It looked more like the mouth of a wolf.

“Took three men to bring it down. Boss says we’ve got to keep it here ‘til they can get the priests to have a look.” He leaned on his halberd. “You know the boy?”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think at this point it’d be Gossip, but that roll’ll still do!

Ludo, 18th Brauzeit

Zollner gave a sombre nod. “Heard about Caerfort from your friend,” he said. “Nobby, isn’t it? He’s gone on to Sermena with the Lord-Lieutenant.”

“I imagine you’ll be wanting to be heading on there too, but if you’re staying, you’re more than welcome to a bunk here tonight. We’ve got room, and grub. It’s not your brother-in-law’s cooking, but it’s hot.” He cracked his knuckles, looking around. “Is there anything else we can do to help? Change of horses? That pony you rode in on looks fit for the knacker’s yard.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa gave Sussman a flat look. Poking out of her pocket, Khalida sensed her mood and appeared to glare at the steward too. "I know this isn't a situation you want to be in charge of, Herr Sussman," said Elsa in a low, deadly tone. "I know about the fast horse you've got prepared. If you run to save your own hide, I won't bother to chase you down and drag you back, but mark my words... I'd better not hear that you also absconded with the treasury, or took an escort of soldiers with you, or otherwise left this place worse off. There's cowardice and then there's treachery."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate 44: (d100)[57]

She reverted to an easy smile with unsettling quickness. "But really... I'm confident you won't throw your, ah, hard-earned stewardship away because of what lies a full day's walk south of us. Let us work together and we can ensure the people remain calm until the Prince's men are here. Fear is the enemy, for now."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2020-07-30 at 06:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa, 15th Brauzeit

Sussman held his hands up again. "Whoah - let's not go throwing around any words we might later regret, hey?" he said. "I'm not talking about us, I'm talking about them. The townspeople. They didn't sign up for any battle. If it comes to it, and if the Iron Company isn't here, we'll evacuate, not fight. That's all I'm saying." He sank into his chair and clasped his hands together. "Handrich knows, I pray it doesn't come to it, but buildings can be rebuilt. People can't."

Looking tired, he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Anyway, I'm sure you're a very busy wizard. Don't want to keep you, you know? Lots to do."
    Last edited by LCP; 2020-07-30 at 06:17 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb