Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    like I am said in the title I am looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters any recomndations ?

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Have you looked into Lancer at all? They have a whole bunch of stuff for Giant Mechs and I don't know about monsters, but worst comes to worst you could reskin some of the more exotic mech types.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    WolfInSheepsClothing

    Join Date
    Mar 2018

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    No will have to look into that one but I am reading the rules for Mekton but it fells like I am missing rules to make the giant monsters.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maglubiyet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    There's always Tiny Frontiers: Mecha and Monsters or the Mecha Hack, if you want a minimalist game.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GrayDeath's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In the Heart of Europe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Look no further than Cthulhutech, thats what it was built for.

    Bonus: it also offers regular Character Rules that are playable if not excellent.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”


    Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Lord Torath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sharangar's Revenge
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    I've heard good things about Mutants and Masterminds for this sort of thing. I think they have a Mecha suppliment.

    My only experience is with Palladium's Robotech, and I've never actually played a campaign with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Look no further than Cthulhutech, thats what it was built for.

    Bonus: it also offers regular Character Rules that are playable if not excellent.
    Just, uh, ignore ALL the fluff. It's a pretty terrible setting.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-07-28 at 04:32 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSandbag View Post
    Have you looked into Lancer at all? They have a whole bunch of stuff for Giant Mechs and I don't know about monsters, but worst comes to worst you could reskin some of the more exotic mech types.
    Lancer has the Biological tag... but if you slap that onto everything, it basically makes the whole hacking and tech subsystem that things rely on useless. It's much, much better to just re-fluff things so that hacking makes sense in some way, because the system's balanced around it. (Say... it's energy fields that disrupt nervous systems/electrical systems, or something.)

    But, yeah, if you do that, and reskin everything... you have tons of options. You've got fast annoying monsters, you've got monsters that can launch missiles spines from their back, ones that release swarms of mini-monsters to plague a zone... it takes a little bit of work, but this is 100% my recommendation. It's a very solid tactical system.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

    01001110011001010111001001100100

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GrayDeath's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In the Heart of Europe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I've heard good things about Mutants and Masterminds for this sort of thing. I think they have a Mecha suppliment.

    My only experience is with Palladium's Robotech, and I've never actually played a campaign with it.
    Just, uh, ignore ALL the fluff. It's a pretty terrible setting.
    Its Lovecraft Mythos in Space turned up to 11.

    But thats clear once youve had a look (and I for one love it for Bier and pretzel Games, so beautifully mad^^).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”


    Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RangerGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Craig, Co
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Look no further than Cthulhutech, thats what it was built for.

    Bonus: it also offers regular Character Rules that are playable if not excellent.
    My bigger problem then the fluff is the dice system. Playing Rummy with each roll is not worth the effort. They should have done something like Lot5R roll & keep if they wanted the dice game idea.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Mutants and Masterminds. 2nd edition has the Mecha and Manga book but 3rd ed is better overall.

    Chris Perrin's Mecha RPG. A pretty obscure system (and hard to google) but works well.

    I didn't play Lancer so no opinion on that, but the book looks solid.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Hunter Noventa's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    There's also Battle Century G which is supposed to be pretty good for mecha, but mediocre for non-mecha stuff.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

    Factotum Variants!

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Euphonistan
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    One could refluff battletech where you run the mechs as is for the mech side and then reflavor other set of mechs as giant monsters. Now this would work best for monsters that have ranged attacks such as godzilla and the like so for instance you could make a large monster using the berserker battlemech and you could say its weapons are its special attacks such as the ppc being a lightning breath, ECM suite is its body generating a field that disrupts your systems, and things like triple strength myomer is the monster getting so angry that it enters a rage that makes it move faster, hit harder in melee and it has a harder time hitting with its ranged attacks.

    EDIT: One neat thing about going this way is that it will allow you to show off losing arms or legs or the like in this case for mechs and the giant monster.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2020-08-01 at 09:11 PM.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

  13. - Top - End - #13

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Under Mt. Ebott
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    My friends and I have typically used Mutants&Masterminds for our Getter Robo style giant blobmonster killing needs. In the end, something like Mazinger or Getter is basically a giant mechanical superhero.

    That said, OP, there are a LOT of ways to go with mecha, and it's hard to recommend something if we don't know what the tone you're going for is. I'm not going to recommend the same game if you want to play Evangelion than if you want to play scaled up Starship Troopers! So, what are you going for, here?

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    There's also the Mecha vs. Kaiju RPG, which is available in both Fate Core and True20 versions.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Telok's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    PRAK

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Shark View Post
    There's also the Mecha vs. Kaiju RPG, which is available in both Fate Core and True20 versions.
    I did not know that existed and now I think I want it.
    Niven's Laws, #5
    If you've nothing to say, say it any way you like. Stylistic innovations, contorted story lines or none, exotic or genderless pronouns, internal inconsistencies, the recipe for preparing your lover as a cannibal banquet: feel free. If what you have to say is important and/or difficult to follow, use the simplest language possible. If the reader doesn't get it then, let it not be your fault.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    DrMartin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Look no further than Cthulhutech, thats what it was built for.

    Bonus: it also offers regular Character Rules that are playable if not excellent.
    Chtulutech always put me off with the dice rules, and the very restrictive skill system:

    - the chance of a critical fail goes up when upgrading a skill from an odd number to an even one (with the corner case of doubling your chances of crit fail when upgrading from 1 to 2 dice, from 10% to an impressive 20% of fail critting a roll)
    - the skill system pretty much requires you to spend most of your starting skill points just to cover the bases of your profession, leaving very few points left for customization beyond "i am a soldier who soldiers". That at least for the couple sample characters I created to get a grasp of the system when i first got into it.
    - these two points interact nicely, as at character creation one will have most likely several skills at 2, as skills at 3 (max at chargen) are very expensive (6 points out of 30) and the skill system is so granular that you need quite a lot of skills to cover even basic character ideas. So your newly generated character will

    I am curious now in your experience playing it, since I never played the game (and those ideas can be nothing more than armchair rumblings): did you encounter these issues? if so, did you fix them at your table, or in the end they were minor bumps or didn´t really color your enjoyment of the game (as in crit fail in a beer and pretzel game is good fun anyway?)

    To the OP: where would you place the focus on the game? on the mech or the pilot? (or the Kaiju?) I think that he answer on which system is best depends largely on the answer to this question.
    Hector Morris Ashburnum-Whit - Curse of the Crimson Throne - IC / OoC
    Bosek of Kuru - A Falling Star - IC / OoC
    Gifu Lavoi - Heritage of Kings - IC / OoC

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Sounds like you're already reading Mekton, which is what I would recommend. Giant monsters would simply be built as Mecha, with the Techno-Organic modifier and Internal Automation. Another option, if you really want to give giant monsters a different feel from the robots, would be use the Fuzion rules, and build the giant monsters as, well, giant monsters, using some of the powers from the HERO system in Fuzion, such as many levels of permanent Growth. That could be complicated, however.

    Good luck, whatever path you take!

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GrayDeath's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In the Heart of Europe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: looking for a good system to have mechs vs giant monsters

    Quote Originally Posted by DrMartin View Post
    Chtulutech always put me off with the dice rules, and the very restrictive skill system:

    - the chance of a critical fail goes up when upgrading a skill from an odd number to an even one (with the corner case of doubling your chances of crit fail when upgrading from 1 to 2 dice, from 10% to an impressive 20% of fail critting a roll)
    - the skill system pretty much requires you to spend most of your starting skill points just to cover the bases of your profession, leaving very few points left for customization beyond "i am a soldier who soldiers". That at least for the couple sample characters I created to get a grasp of the system when i first got into it.
    - these two points interact nicely, as at character creation one will have most likely several skills at 2, as skills at 3 (max at chargen) are very expensive (6 points out of 30) and the skill system is so granular that you need quite a lot of skills to cover even basic character ideas. So your newly generated character will

    I am curious now in your experience playing it, since I never played the game (and those ideas can be nothing more than armchair rumblings): did you encounter these issues? if so, did you fix them at your table, or in the end they were minor bumps or didn´t really color your enjoyment of the game (as in crit fail in a beer and pretzel game is good fun anyway?)

    To the OP: where would you place the focus on the game? on the mech or the pilot? (or the Kaiju?) I think that he answer on which system is best depends largely on the answer to this question.
    Sorry for the Delay, didnt think to check the thread.

    We did not start with starting CHaracters but with experienced ones, as we did not intend to paly long enough to level up, so we didnt encounter that specific problem.

    overall the Dice system is solid, if nothing to write home about, once you are past starting Chars, and the fact it can pretty eeasily cover such wide areas of competence is nice.

    Overall we played for I think 6 sessions, enjoyed it, but i didnt leave enough of an impression to get anyone but me to actively like it (and we didnt get a group wanting to paly mecha back together since then ^^).
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”


    Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •