New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Oni Lord Warlock Patron PEACH

This patron is not necessarily meant for good characters, but could be used for antiheroes and villains. Please let me know what you think!

Your patron is a powerful Oni Lord. In exchange for power, you are expected to find powerful items for your patron, as well as scout out potential victims.

Spoiler: Expanded Spell List
    Show

The Oni Lord lets you choose from an expanded list of spells when you learn a warlock spell. The following spells are added to the warlock spell list for you.

Oni Lord Expanded Spells

Level.......Spells
    1st...........Ray of Sickness, Sleep
    2nd..........Alter Self, Magic Weapon
    3rd...........Erupting Earth, Nondetection
    4th...........Greater Invisibility, Stoneskin
    5th...........Cone of Cold, Modify Memory

Spoiler: Terrifying Weapon
    Show
    Starting at 1st level, your Oni master grants you a measure of his martial prowess. You are proficient in the Glaive and Morningstar. The Glaive is no longer Heavy for you. In addition, After hitting with your Glaive or Morningstar, you can expend one spell slot to deal extra damage to the target, of the same type as the original attack. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you finish a short rest.

Spoiler: Alter Form
    Show
    Starting at 6th level, you learn Alter Self, if you do not know it already. In addition, while maintaining Alter Self, you no longer need to concentrate. Finally, when you use Alter Self, you also gain a fly speed of 30 feet for the duration of the spell.

Spoiler: Fade Away
    Show
    Starting at 10th level, you can assume gaseous form in response to serious damage. After you are hit by an attack and you are below half of your maximum hit points, you can use your reaction to cast gaseous form on yourself. This does not expend a spell slot, but the spell lasts for 1 minute. You regain 3d6 + your Charisma modifier hit points when the spell ends. Once this ability is used, it cannot be used again until you complete a short rest.

Spoiler: Haunting Curse
    Show
    Starting at 14th level, you learn to haunt the very souls of those you terrorize. While an opponent is frightened by an effect you cause, you may take a bonus action to place a special curse on the victim. Until the victim is no longer frightened, that opponent cannot gain hit points or have any other conditions removed. If an effect would remove all conditions and/or heal and remove frightened simultaneously, only the frightened condition is removed, at which point this effect ends. Heal and Wish can remove this effect and other applicable conditions simultaneously. Remove Curse and Greater Restoration will end this effect, but not any other conditions.
    Once you use this ability, you cannot use it again until you finish a long rest.
    Last edited by Whiles; 2020-07-31 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Content update

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Oni Lord Warlock Patron PEACH

I like the general idea and execution, but I was looking at Fade Away and thought for a 10th level ability it could be better.

Spoiler
    Show

Starting at 10th level, you gain the ability to retreat by assuming a vaporous state. As a reaction when you are hit by an attack you can assume the spell gaseous form. You regain 3d6 + your Charisma modifier in hit points when the form ends. Once you use this special reaction, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

That might be too much healing, but I just think it should be more than 1d6 and require the short or long rest.

Having a Oni as patron in general though is cool idea, but I think their healing factor/regeneration should factor somewhere more in there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

double damage on a weapon isn't really the usual method in 5e, and it isn't really strong enough to want a once a day limit. Perhaps spending a slot to deal 1d8 damage per slot level, in the manner of a Paladin's smite.

Alter Form should probably give you the alter self spell, given that you don't automatically get the spells from the warlock's expanded spell list.

I like fade away as a defensive concept, but I would at least specify to being hit by an attack, spell, or trap. On the other hand, constantly turning to smoke midcombat might get a bit old, and/or annoying to the DM. Redmordred's suggestion feels more on the right track, although that might be stepping too much on the Misty Escape feature of the Archfey Patron. At a minimum, definitely limit the duration of the spell to 1 minute or 1 round. Otherwise you could have an ally make an unarmed attack against you to get a free casting of the full spell.

Haunting Curse should probably list a few more example spells, but definitely needs to list what sort of action is required to use the feature. And this includes "(no action required by you)."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Thanks for the feedback! You all made some great points and I made changes to reflect those. redmordred, I was trying to fit the regeneration in somewhere, but it is a powerful effect. I decided to tack it on to the end of fade away. Please let me know what you think of the changes.