New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Any other NPC classes? Tier of Gleaner NPC class?

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    I don't see a Way of the Rogue for d20 Rokugan. Was it in Way of the Thief?
    My bad!
    No, it was from the FFG Traps and Treachery

Noble's a PC class from the Dragonlance Campaign setting, right? Iffen I recall correctly, it's an upgraded Aristocrat.
    Noble - despite being - technically - PC class, was already mentioned earlier - in replies ##10, 13, and 23 - along with Master (and even Mystic! )

If we look even deeper into 3rd-party, then there...

If we take Noble from Dragonlance, then how about Courtier from Rokugan? Or Noble from the Wheel of Time? (Or Westeros?)

NPC Classes:

Wheel of Time RPG
    Commoner
    Diplomat
    Expert
    Warrior

A Game of Thrones d20
    Commoner
    Godswife of the Great Shepherd
    Night's Watch Builder
    Maegi

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    My bad!
    No, it was from the FFG Traps and Treachery
    No prob. I just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed a Rokugan supplement. (Aside: I've recently become interested in the d20 version of the setting, so I've been borrowing materials from our gaming group's archives.

Noble - despite being - technically - PC class, was already mentioned earlier - in replies ##10, 13, and 23 - along with Master (and even Mystic! )
    Truth.

I misread your comment on Noble as Aristocrat at first, and I was all excited that an NPC class besides Adept had gotten some ACF love.

If we look even deeper into 3rd-party, then there...

If we take Noble from Dragonlance, then how about Courtier from Rokugan? Or Noble from the Wheel of Time? (Or Westeros?)

NPC Classes:

Wheel of Time RPG
    Commoner
    Diplomat
    Expert
    Warrior

A Game of Thrones d20
    Commoner
    Night's Watch Builder
    Maegi
    I thought the Wheel of Time ones are the same as the DMG ones, though 3.0 rather than 3.5. Commoner, Expert, and Warrior are the same, but Diplomat is *not* just a reskinned Aristocrat. It's got poor BAB and a different skill list.

The Games of Thrones classes are good find. I'll have to see if I have access to those.
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2020-09-23 at 01:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by ShurikVch
    If we take Noble from Dragonlance, then how about Courtier from Rokugan?
    Aha! I’ve been looking and looking for courtier, and I thought it was in Oriental Adventures, so thanks for this.

I haven’t read this one in a while, but it seems to be just slightly better than the noble. It doesn’t seem to have been considered in the last retiering project, probaby because it’s third-party, but I’m guessing it’s pretty squarely Tier 5.

Although the courtier does get free Leadership, not sure if that's enough to bring it up to Tier 4.

Originally Posted by ShurikVch
    …and even Mystic!
    I have a soft spot for the mystic, and thought I’d mention it to give the OP more options. I was surprised it rated so highly in the updated tier list.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-07-29 at 09:24 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I have a soft spot for the mystic, and thought I’d mention it to give the OP more options. I was surprised it rated so highly in the updated tier list.

It may be the sucky version of a cleric, but clerics are T1 after all...

Races of Ansalon has a fun Human Noble ACF that trades the Favor ability for free cohort bodyguards. It's pretty OP, since you end up with like 5 cohorts by level 15, but it wouldn't be that problematic on an NPC.
    Clerics begin to question. Paladins fall. Wizards go mad from knowledge, warriors meet foes more skilled than they, and hunters become as monstrous as the horrors they swore to destroy. In the end, good intentions and grand plans get people killed. I'm not here to shape the world or punish the wicked. I just want to help people and get paid. That's why we rogues are the ones who survive.

Dealing with anxiety or depression? Try Lift!

5. - Top - End - #35

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Two other classes you might consider are from the Dragonlance Campaign Setting, which is generally considered Wizards first-party material.

The first is the mystic, which uses the sorcerer chassis to spontaneously cast cleric spells, keyed to Wisdom. The mystic gains one domain and thus has access to bonus spells.

The second is the noble, which is a slightly touched-up aristocrat, with a couple class features which echo some of the bard’s abilities.

Although these were presented as PC classes, they’re bland enough they could serve as slightly stronger NPCs. In the retiering thread that you provided, the noble is listed as Tier 5 and the mystic as Tier 2. I expect you're aware of these already, just mentioning a couple more options that might find a niche in your setting.

Mystic is not NPC, it was both widely supported in other DL material and very playable. It's honestly not bad if you want to play a cleric as a spontaneous caster.

6. - Top - End - #36

EvilClericGuy

Late to the party, PF instead of 3.5, and third-party PF to boot, but included here for completeness:
    Courtesan, from 4 Winds Fantasy Gaming:
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd...ing/courtesan/

7. - Top - End - #37

EvilClericGuy

A Game of Thrones d20
    Commoner
    Night's Watch Builder
    Maegi
    I've had a chance to peruse the archives. Commoner is commoner; No changes there. Godswife has some potential, but requires a rewrite to be used in a d20-based game. Builder and Maegi are prestige classes; not limited to NPCs. I wouldn't include them as an NPC class.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

I've had a chance to peruse the archives. Commoner is commoner; No changes there. Godswife has some potential, but requires a rewrite to be used in a d20-based game. Builder and Maegi are prestige classes; not limited to NPCs. I wouldn't include them as an NPC class.
    Which book you're using?
    The one I read have them under the "Classes for NPCs" (pg. 314)

9. - Top - End - #39

EvilClericGuy

Which book you're using?
    The one I read have them under the "Classes for NPCs" (pg. 314)
    A Game of Thrones, Deluxe Limited Edition, 2005.

"Additionally, the Night Watch's Builder and Maegi are NPC Prestige Classes." Each is listed as a 10-level class.

ETA: Third sentence in the second paragraph of the "Classes for NPCs" section in this version. Or in third paragraph from the bottom of the second column.
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2020-09-23 at 06:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

If anyone cares I did a pretty thorough review of gleaner//magewright and I did conclude it’s a fairly decent T4.

The main trick is that gleaner gets lesser restoration as a spontaneous caster and magewright is technically a prepared caster with an odd spell book. So magewright//gleaner can learn exalted or vile spells then heal the ability damage after combat. Suddenly magewright can actually memorize spells worth casting at all levels.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by reddir View Post
    A link to The Gleaner was just posted and I like the flavor and build of it - a sort of varient Adept. What Tier would it be placed in? I am guessing Tier 5 or Tier 4.

Are there any other NPC classes out there? I am looking to populate my world and these NPC classes make a lot more sense for the majority of the population than PC classes, and I want more variety than the official NPC classes.
    I've got a couple that I've made. I haven't tested any of them tought:

Holder (NPC Class)

Good Saves: Will
    Bad Saves: Fort, Ref
    BAB: As wizard (1/2 level)

Class Skills: Appraise, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Forgery, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (The Planes), Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sleight of Hand, Speak Language (planar languages, Draconic, Elven, Dwarven, or Gnomeish only) Spellcraft, Truespeak, Use Magic Device, Use Rope
    Skill Points: 4+int

1.) Item use
    2.)
    3.)
    4.)
    5.) skill bonus
    6.)
    7.)
    8.)
    9.)
    10.) skill bonus
    11.)
    12.)
    13.)
    14.)
    15.) skill bonus
    16.)
    17.)
    18.)
    19.)
    20.) skill bonus

Item use: A Holder can activate magic items such as wands, scrolls, staves, etc as a wizard of their Holder level, and as any other spellcasting class one half their Holder level. They also add one quarter of their Holder level as a bonus to Use Magic Device checks.

Skill bonus: Every five (four?) levels a Holder gets a permanent +1 bonus to their choice of either: Spellcraft checks relating to magic items, Appraise checks to appraise the value of magic items, Knowledge checks relating to magic items, Search checks to find magical traps (does not give you the ability to find or disarm them safely), Disable Device checks related to magical traps (does not give you the ability to find or disarm them safely), Diplomacy checks to influence intelligent items, Escape Artist checks to escape from magical restraints, Perform checks to activate magical instruments, or Craft checks to repair magic items. The same option may be chosen more than once and in this case the bonuses stack.

Entertainer

As Bard class but no spells or bardic knowledge and only 4 skill points per level

Hedge Wizard
    As the Wizard class, but spells cannot be geld in a prepared state. So all spells must be prepared on the fly, as per the Spell Preparation Time section of the SRD and then immediately cast. Effectively increasing their casting time by 15 minutes
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-09-25 at 01:04 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)