New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default OoTS Publication Timeline

Has anyone compiled a timeline of where the main comic was when each of the prequel and side-quest books were completed?

At each point of publication readers had only the information available in the main comic up to that point. It would be nice to help avoid spoilers, preserve the continuity of the art upgrades, and to recreate the learning curve of the original experience if there was a list detailing the page number the comic was on when a book came out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OoTS Publication Timeline

Not yet, but it's a trivial thing to do. Let's see, it's 14:47 CST as I write this, aaaaand...

To the PDFs! On the Origin of PCs claims a first printing in October 2005, Start of Darkness May 2007, and Good Deeds Gone Unpunished August 2018. ETA: Forgot Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales. May 2011. Whoopsie!

Discussion Thread Index has the October 2005 thread span strips 227-239, so let's take say around 230 and work in multiples of 10, because why not. Strip 450 was posted May 9th. 1131 was thrown up the day before August 2018, so we round down to 1130. And strip 790 was posted May 4, 2011, which is as perfect as can be.

So:

On the Origin of PCs was put out roughly around 230.

Star of Darkness was put out roughly around 450.

Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails was put out roughly around 790

Good Deeds Gone Unpunished was put out roughly around 1130.

14:58 CST. Not too shabby.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-27 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Forgot a book that's not in PDF format yet
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3

Eleven minutes? Did you stop to snack on a dozen sheep or something?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Eleven minutes? Did you stop to snack on a dozen sheep or something?
    The casting times for all those spells in the Formatting subschool really add up.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-26 at 03:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

You didn't take a dip in Draconic Archmage for casting as a Quick Action?

Seriously, I thought Alabama had Daylight Savings? Did y'all change that?

6. - Top - End - #6

You didn't take a dip in Draconic Archmage for casting as a Quick Action?

Seriously, I thought Alabama had Daylight Savings? Did y'all change that?
    I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Alabama is one of seven states that approved legislation to make Daylight Saving Time permanent, though it requires federal approval and I don't believe we've gotten that yet. Here's hoping, though.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Living in a country that uses daylight saving time, I find it more trouble than it's worth, really.
    I'd like to have noon at 12:00, for starters.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Living in a country that uses daylight saving time, I find it more trouble than it's worth, really.
    I'd like to have noon at 12:00, for starters.
    Well, scientific evidence does suggest that it makes people sad and dysfunctional (and empirical evidence suggests that this scientific evidence may very well be sound).

9. - Top - End - #9

All I know is that workplace accidents go up each week after the switch. And auto accidents. And probably accidents around the home.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

All I know is that workplace accidents go up each week after the switch. And auto accidents. And probably accidents around the home.
    And missed planes. Presumably missed anything-on-a-schedule, but planes we have the statistics for. And other than "because we've been doing it since WWII", there really is no good reason to keep doing it - the energy savings, if there are any, are minimal and certainly don't compensate for all the issues it causes.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    And missed planes. Presumably missed anything-on-a-schedule, but planes we have the statistics for.
    Those are all excellent reasons to make it permanent.

I say optimistically.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Or eliminate it. An extra hour of sunlight during working hours made sense back when we used sunlight. Now?

Hey, if you need that extra hour of daylight in the evening, get up early! Back when I worked outdoors we'd start work at 6 in summer and at 7 in winter, which negated any 'benefit' of DST.

And thanks for the timeline, Peelee. Where does SS&DT fit in?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kids those days. Back in my times we just worked from sunrise to sunset and nobody complained about it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The problem is not so much whether we should eliminate DST, but which of the two times to adopt as the permanent one. If the sun sets too early in the summer that's going to mess up my bike rides, and I don't want to live in almost constant darkness in the winter either. Maybe we could somehow alternate between these two times according to the season.
    ungelic is us

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Or eliminate it. An extra hour of sunlight during working hours made sense back when we used sunlight.
    .....people still use sunlight.
    Hey, if you need that extra hour of daylight in the evening, get up early! Back when I worked outdoors we'd start work at 6 in summer and at 7 in winter, which negated any 'benefit' of DST.
    Hey, if businesses changed working hours away from 9-5, I'd be all up on that. No problems here. Thing is, that's not going to happen, and so I'm going to root for the change that actually has a chance, because it's doing the same thing, even if from the other end.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Kids those days. Back in my times we just worked from sunrise to sunset and nobody complained about it.
    I agree, the entire point of advancing society is to make things better than they were.
    And thanks for the timeline, Peelee. Where does SS&DT fit in?
    Whoops! That one hasn't been released in PDF yet and I forgot about it. I've edited my response above to fix that, but short versios is 720.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I agree, the entire point of advancing society is to make things better than they were.
    Pretty much. Now, thanks to teleworking, people work from surise to sunrise.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    The problem is not so much whether we should eliminate DST, but which of the two times to adopt as the permanent one. If the sun sets too early in the summer that's going to mess up my bike rides, and I don't want to live in almost constant darkness in the winter either. Maybe we could somehow alternate between these two times according to the season.
    Or maybe we just pick the timeline which brings us closest (with respect to the geographical and political factors that make timezones a mess) to having midnight in the middle of the night and noon in the middle of the day everyday.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #18

Or maybe we just pick the timeline which brings us closest (with respect to the geographical and political factors that make timezones a mess) to having midnight in the middle of the night and noon in the middle of the day everyday.
    That seems needlessly arbitrary.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we should use the opportunity to rethink our entire system of time. WHy does a day start in the middle of the night? 1AM isn't the morning, it's still nighttime. "Midnight" should be renamed "Endnight" and should be moved to 7AM. 7:01AM becomes 12:01AM, the first minute of a new day, and set where the sunrise is around that time.

Also, we should have 10 hours in a day, each of which is composed of 100 minutes and each of those is composed of 100 seconds. A New Second will be 14% shorter than our current seconds, but who cares? You would work for 2 New Hours a day (equivalent to about 6.5 current hours, but the 8 hour work day is too long anyway)
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-07-27 at 12:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

You're being sarcastic, but I actually wrote up a sci-fi setting where they used a second as the base unit of time measurement and just added metric labels as needed. A kilosecond was the rough equivalent to an hour, a megasecond a week, etc. It took the players a session or so to get into the groove, but after that they had no trouble. It even became a running joke among us to ask for a dekasecond instead of a moment.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

You're being sarcastic, but I actually wrote up a sci-fi setting where they used a second as the base unit of time measurement and just added metric labels as needed. A kilosecond was the rough equivalent to an hour, a megasecond a week, etc. It took the players a session or so to get into the groove, but after that they had no trouble. It even became a running joke among us to ask for a dekasecond instead of a moment.
    If it were the base unit, it would not be called ”a second”, though, simply because it would not be secondary to anything.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    If it were the base unit, it would not be called ”a second”, though, simply because it would not be secondary to anything.
    It was named the "second" after renowned scientist Dr. Jane Second, Jr.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I think we should use the opportunity to rethink our entire system of time. WHy does a day start in the middle of the night? 1AM isn't the morning, it's still nighttime. "Midnight" should be renamed "Endnight" and should be moved to 7AM. 7:01AM becomes 12:01AM, the first minute of a new day, and set where the sunrise is around that time.
    I like that you're basically reintroducing the classical and medieval time system.
    ungelic is us

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hroțila View Post
    I like that you're basically reintroducing the classical and medieval time system.
    It doesn't go far enough. Let's go back to good old roman timekeeping. Every day can start at sunrise, and then there are 12 hours until sundown. Yes, each day the length of the hour (and the minute) is variable, unless you are on the equator, but you can keep track of the time with a stick and a few lines!

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It doesn't go far enough. Let's go back to good old roman timekeeping. Every day can start at sunrise, and then there are 12 hours until sundown. Yes, each day the length of the hour (and the minute) is variable, unless you are on the equator, but you can keep track of the time with a stick and a few lines!

Grey Wolf
    Roman? Babylonian or bust, I say!

I speak, of course, of their mathematic system and numerals. We can totally move to a decimal system for timekeeping.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Daylight saving time is great - it is like some Chaotic Neutral God had a say in how the world was constructed, it gets even better when you have to work based on the hours of a different nation who apply it on different dates then your own nation.

If anything we should expand it maybe have a system where we take the last digit of a year divide by three and round down to see how many times a shift occurs on a given year - it would be great everyone gets a bit of what they want with this plan.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    12:01AM
    That however is just annoying.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-07-28 at 04:34 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Daylight saving time is great - it is like some Chaotic Neutral God had a say in how the world was constructed, it gets even better when you have to work based on the hours of a different nation who apply it on different dates then your own nation.

If anything we should expand it maybe have a system where we take the last digit of a year divide by three and round down to see how many times a shift occurs on a given year - it would be great everyone gets a bit of what they want with this plan.
    Imean, we do get an extra day per year, except when the year is divisible by 100 (except when the year is divisible by 400).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-28 at 08:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imean, we do get an extra day per year, except when the year is divisible by 100 (except when the year is divisible by 400).
    And we still are off a day every 10,000 years.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Or unless you use a microsoft product, who inherited a dodgy leap year formula from a previous product for backwards compatibility, and thus, given its widespread use, you might as well assume that 1900 wasn't a leap year.

Also, this:

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-07-28 at 10:29 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Like I said, just convert everything using a second as the base, and just ignore those pesky days and seasons and such. We can call the new system Stellar Date or some such.