New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Empire 6 - Feast of the Phoenix

Great Hall of Anvisk
    Early Summer, Fifth Year of the Phoenix

The warmth of the Sun shone down upon the rolling fields of grass and wildflowers surrounding the residence of the Aranin. Small groups of cattle and horses lazily watch the approaching dignitaries before going back to the endless task of mowing the great steppe. The occasional Viskari herder seemed more interested, but they seemed disinclined to satisfy their curiosity.

The hall itself was built atop a small rocky promontory reached by stairs cut into the natural stone. It was surrounded by a palisade with an entrance gate flanked by wooden watchtowers. White banners hung from the towers and fluttered in the breeze. Within the wall were a number of structures, stables, barns, residences for those who lived under the Aranin's direct protection, but towering above them all was his hall. The building was built primarily of wood with carved door-frames and beams. Silver charms hung from the eaves and gables and a large silver crescent hung over the main door. The warriors flanking the door watch impassively as the representatives of foreign states approach before opening it to admit entrance.

The interior was lit by the flickering light of a fire pit and small windows high in the walls. Silver charms and chimes hung from the beams, glittering in the light. Long tables flanked the room at which Viskari, many of whom were armed, were seated, talking amongst themselves and laughing at each other's jokes as they drank mead and berry wine from drinking horns and silver goblets. The tables were set with silver plates and simple silver candelabra housing tallow candles. At the far end of the chamber was another, smaller table that faced the door. This table had only a small group seated at it, one of whom was the Aranin, Talsharn Anviskad, who stood to greet his guests.

"Welcome honoured guests to my hall," he said in the relatively common trade tongue, "It brings me great happiness that you would travel so far to eat and drink with me, my family and my most loyal companions. Come, sit at my table and drink your fill of mead and wine."

Seated at the high table:
    Talsharn Anviskad, Aranin of All Viskari
    Karalus Anviskad, Talsharn's only son, just come of age
    Hazasha Uracai, Talsharn's wife
    Elizan Vandruk, Aranin Sarak of Iskandrazac
    Mashana Narakan, Aranin Sarak of Aer Caladon
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Empire 6 - Feast of the Phoenix

Shaman lore-master of the Shándole, Leósha’Lýndónah - Peace-in-Deep-Waters road through the step on her dappled stallion, dark hair blowing the the summer breezes and cornflower-blue eyes alert and eager to see all she could of this strange county. A few smaller horses laden with travel and writing supplies follower behind her and at her side rode another elven woman, M’Ká’acindi’tonyóndersan – My-Song-Flows-to-Lands-Far-and-Wide, a Dreamspeaker of Shándole heritage. Acindi was taller than Lýndónah, with a long neck and green eyes that gleamed with equal parts amusement and mischief. They shared the dark coppery-brown skin common the River Elven people and though she wasn’t even half Lýndónah’s age, the Dreamspeaker was much more widely traveled and bore herself with the confidence and spunk of a know-it-all and a prankster. She was dressed the bright-colored clothing of her order and a tambourine jingled where it was tied to her hip. She had a wide smile and a voice that carried easily and melodically. The two women spoke together as they rode, enjoying the views of the countryside and the stories they told.

As they left their horses in the comfort and security of Aranin's stables, Lýndónah shouldered small pack of supplies and took a long, carefully fur-wrapped bundle in her arms. She looked around at the towering hall and the carefully structured and organizing buildings about it with great interest.

Acindi laughed, “I guess you don’t usually see buildings so big as this, do you?”

Lýndónah gave her a ruthful look, “Our people h’ain’t so cully as ye like to tease, Acindi. The Council Hall in Winter Town is certainly as large, but it h’ain’t so bright an plumb open t’ the skies as this. The Viskari be a bold people, I kin. Bold an' open in all they do.”

“I reckon you're right,” Acindi said, shifting weight with a soft jingle from her tambourine. “I kin we shouldn’t walk in together, seeing as we be here on behalf of different peoples.”

Lýndónah nodded, “Go ahead, Acindi’Cai, I will walk more slowly through this town an' greet the Aranin after ye.”

—-

The elven Dreamspeaker came into the hall, every bounce in her steps laughing with the sound of tinkling tin and colorful Dreamspeaker sashes fluttering around her heels. Though nothing she said nor did was disrespectful, her very presence seemed to give off a mocking and casual aura, like she was prancing onto the stage of the child’s play and not into the hall of a great Aranin.

She bowed in the Shandolé manner, one leg bent in font of the other and the back of her fist pressed to her forehead.

“Thankee’Siah!” she said in return to Talsharn’s greeting, “I am M’Ká’acindi’tonyóndersan – My-Song-Flows-to-Lands-Far-and-Wide here on behalf o’ the Dreamspeakers to a’witness what stories may flow from your halls an’ t’ bring what merriment and song I may. My name is long, but a’frear not! You and your guests may call me Acindi. Ask o’ me what you will, while I stand in your halls. An’ if ever you want call fer song o’ story, I’ll be your elf.” She smiled and then winked at Karalus, before walking over to take a seat at the table, happily accepting a goblet of wine when it was offered.

---

It wasn’t long afterwards that Lýndónah, stepped respectfully into the great hall, taking in the many tables and the multitude of half-orcs sitting among them under the glinting silver chimes with bright and curious eyes. Her steps hardly made a sound at all, as she approached Talsharn’s table and bowed, holding her warped bundle rather awkwardly in one arm as she pressed her other fist to forehead.

“Long days an’ warm nights to ye and yern and let it be kin that yer happiness flows ka-by-ka with mine for this a'meeting, Aranin Talsharn Anviskad,” she said in reply to his welcome, “I am Leósha’Lýndónah - Peace-in-Deep-Waters, lore-master o’ the Shándole.” Stepping a little closer she laid her bundle at the Aranin’s feet and unwrapped the furs to reveal a black and dark amber horn, polished smooth and gleaming in the candlelight. Its twisting length was over two feet long and it had delicately carved designs of horses on the wider end. “This here be a shofar horn, crafted by my people. It sings signals over great yonder distances an' horns such as this are used in our mountains and valleys to greet the rising sun on days of great importance. I bring it here as a gift to ye and yer family. May it usher in many’a day of prosperity and joy.

---

Spoiler: Named Characters
    Show

On behalf of Shandolé
    Leósha’Lýndónah - Peace in Deep Waters
    She is a member of the Winter Council and the chief shaman and lore-mater for her people. She is soft-spoken, mild mannered and tends to believe the best of people.

On behalf of the Dreamspeakers
    M’Ká’acindi’tonyóndersan – My Song Flows to Lands Far and Wide
    Born in Shandolé, "Acindi" was taken as a child to be taught the magic of Twilight-sight and the ways and songs of the Dreamspeakers. She's good humored and mischievous.

Last edited by Laura; 2020-07-28 at 04:29 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laura View Post
    The elven Dreamspeaker came into the hall, every bounce in her steps laughing with the sound of tinkling tin and colorful Dreamspeaker sashes fluttering around her heels. Though nothing she said nor did was disrespectful, her very presence seemed to give off a mocking and casual aura, like she was prancing onto the stage of the child’s play and not into the hall of a great Aranin.

She bowed in the Shandolé manner, one leg bent in font of the other and the back of her fist pressed to her forehead.

“Thankee’Siah!” she said in return to Talsharn’s greeting, “I am M’Ká’acindi’tonyóndersan – My-Song-Flows-to-Lands-Far-and-Wide here on behalf o’ the Dreamspeakers to a’witness what stories may flow from your halls an’ t’ bring what merriment and song I may. My name is long, but a’frear not! You and your guests may call me Acindi. Ask o’ me what you will, while I stand in your halls. An’ if ever you want call fer song o’ story, I’ll be your elf.” She smiled and then winked at Karalus, before walking over to take a seat at the table, happily accepting a goblet of wine when it was offered.
    At first Talsharn had assumed the Elven woman to be a representative of the Shandole, but he was soon proven wrong. Unlike some halls he kept his door open for the Dream Speakers despite their somewhat unsavoury reputation. That is not to say that he trusted them any farther than he could throw them, but they were always an entertaining bunch and they were always respectful to the parents of those they offered their gifts to.

"Welcome then Noble Dream Speaker!" he said with a grin, "My hall will be that much more splendid with your songs echoing among the rafters."

Karalus for his part blushed slightly at the wink and looked away in the hopes that no one noticed.

It wasn’t long afterwards that Lýndónah, stepped respectfully into the great hall, taking in the many tables and the multitude of half-orcs sitting among them under the glinting silver chimes with bright and curious eyes. Her steps hardly made a sound at all, as she approached Talsharn’s table and bowed, holding her warped bundle rather awkwardly in one arm as she pressed her other fist to forehead.

“Long days an’ warm nights to ye and yern and let it be kin that yer happiness flows ka-by-ka with mine for this a'meeting, Aranin Talsharn Anviskad,” she said in reply to his welcome, “I am Leósha’Lýndónah - Peace-in-Deep-Waters, lore-master o’ the Shándole.” Stepping a little closer she laid her bundle at the Aranin’s feet and unwrapped the furs to reveal a black and dark amber horn, polished smooth and gleaming in the candlelight. Its twisting length was over two feet long and it had delicately carved designs of horses on the wider end. “This here be a shofar horn, crafted by my people. It sings signals over great yonder distances an' horns such as this are used in our mountains and valleys to greet the rising sun on days of great importance. I bring it here as a gift to ye and yer family. May it usher in many’a day of prosperity and joy.

So saying she stepped back and gave another small bow and a warm smile, before walking over to sit at the tables.[/SPOILER]
    The arrival of the Shandole was met with great interest by those in the hall and they whispered among each other once Lyndonah made herself known. The news brought back from the summit was true, the Eternal Folk still lived in the lands of Tarandi, truly an auspicious omen indeed.

"Long days and warm nights to you and yours as well Lyndonah," Talsharn said warmly as he bowed his head respectfully, "You honour my hall by your presence at this feast. I must thank you and your people for this gift, I only hope that I can prove myself worthy of such kindness."

He carefully lifted the shofar up to admire it. Truly it was superior to any horn he had owned and he carefully laid it and its fur wrapping on the table. Wordlessly he removed a talisman from around his neck and handed the silver wolf to the Elf. Once the solemn exchange was finished he clapped a hand on Lyndonah's shoulder.

"I hope you will honour me by sitting at my side. There is much to discuss."

At this the Aranin's son moved down a bit to make room for Lyndonah near where the Aranin would be sitting.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lýndónah accepted the silver talisman with a soft breath of awe, admiring the beautiful metal. “Yer generosity is right kind, Aranin. Thankee’Siah.”

When he stepped forward and clapped her shoulder, Lýndónah startled slightly. It was not a greeting she was accustomed to and the bold gusto of the gesture caught her off guard. She reclaimed her face quickly though and smiled. “A place at yer table is an honor indeed, Siah.”

She came over and sat down next to Karalus a little shyly, unsure what these bold people might do next, but looking forward to the experience of their company.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

He groomed himself carefully, his time amongst the Viksari did a number on his views of self-image, and despite the seemingly insurmountable roadblock he had encountered when dealing with their wolves (And corvids to be fair though he didn't desire to teach them) he would at least stalk away from these lands with a greater appreciation for his comeliness. Rain-Spotted-Leopard-Who-We-Found-In-New-Moon was seated at the far end of the table, though frequently he left the table to roam the nooks and crannies of the Aranin's demesne. A Leopard in his prime he was gifted with particularly long fur around his mouth and heavy spotting along his back, some of which were congealed together into larger spots nearly giving him a black stripe near his rear. He had spent most of his time in Aran Viska outside, on rocky outcroppings, and observing the practices of herding with mild disgust and fascination. Indoors however he wanted to at least respect the den of his host who was so far graciously feeding him so Found-In-New-Moon was periodically going over his appearance with a meticulous combing tongue. The silver of the hall was pleasing to the eye, for it reflected his majesty on him, and its shiny coloration reminded him of his luxurious fur. Staying under the protection of the Aranin afforded him many nights of stargazing and waxing poetic to the cloudy sky above to any Viskari happening by.

A most unique and peculiar experience in Aran Viska.

Found-In-New-Moon vaguely acknowledged the Dream Speaker and the Winter Town elder. A slight nodding of his head from the thick of his fur and the flicking of his piercing bright blue eyes that shone with the hint of something more. He'd heard stories from when Wounded-Vulture-That-Nests-In-Skystruck-Tree returned from Uldra with horses and dogs in tow but had never seen one of the so-called "River Elves" face to face let alone two at once. He paused his primping to contemplate what a child of a Viskari and River Elf would look like before shaking his head and settling once more into the self-satisfying process. Once he had gotten to his tail and derriere however he stopped suddenly at the sight of a Cave Lion making its entrance.

Old Lion, No Pride, No Death.

The ancient had gone roaming since his time abroad in the north. He returned home to the Carrion Ward briefly, but after a few months decided to follow the setting sun, and wandered off from his kin over the rolling hills of his home. Those armed warriors intrigued him, the way they looked upon him, and so he traveled in search of them. Frightened goat herds and hunters directed him from one land to the next as he traced in the steps of the morning light. A Pride of his own. When he came upon the land known as Aran Viska he had no idea for a week until he was roused from his slumber by a wandering child, trembling in its execution of a dare from children more foolish still, and after shooing the child with a swift roar he took to the land with renewed elderly vigor. He followed an isolated herdsman and his family for a time, passively guarding their flock with his presence, and learning the Viskari tongue and local rumor in return. Eventually, word came of some gathering in the halls of the great Aranin Talsharn and Old Lion left the morning of without a word to his teacher or acquaintances. He slept in and moved up the steps of carved stone with a lumbering methodical pace, stopping intermittently to sit himself down, lounge, and gaze over the side of the steps with milky eyed appreciation for the quaint environs.

Shaking his mane as he entered the hall, No-Pride-No-Death swayed his tail behind him in a slow pace, and turned his head to the Aranin so as to face him with his fleshy face.

"Aranin," He said flatly and gravvly in the tongue of the Viskari, a thick growling accent present "You gave me safe passage into a Two-Leg Cave once and for that I am grateful. I have roamed your lands for a time. I bring no gift but an offer to hunt beside you when next you leave if it is before I part."
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2020-07-29 at 09:24 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

A raven fluttered down from the rafters and landed beside Found-In-New-Moon while he was distracted. It eyed him for a few moments and then let out a loud "Caw!" before hopping onto the table out of reach. This little 'game' was however ignored by the hall at large as all eyes were on the Dread Lion.

Talsharn did not anticipate the lion arriving and stood in stunned silence. This silence would likely have continued had the Aranin not noticed some of the gathered Viskari reach for weapons out of the corner of his eye.

"Noble Lion, welcome to my hall," he said with just a touch of uncertainty, "You are indeed an unexpected guest, but a guest you are nonetheless. Tomorrow we will hunt, but today we will feast and share songs. Come sit at my table for the feast shall soon begin."

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

After a decent amount of guests had arrived, the Aranin announced that the feast was to begin and he took his own seat at the centre of the high table, flanked by Lyndonah and his wife. A parade of servants entered the hall bearing roasted meats and platters of fruits, vegetables and simple breads, each one pausing in front of Talsharn, laying down the dish they brought and partaking of a bite of it as they waited for his approval. At his nod they bowed and took the dish to its proper place before joining the assembled warriors at the table.

During this lengthy ceremony none spoke until its conclusion whereupon the Aranin's wife, Hazasha, stood and led the assemblage in a solemn song. Those who understood the Viskari tongue would quickly realise it was a prayer, asking for the blessing of the gods, thanking them for the bounty of the land and laying the spirits of those animals contributing to the feast to rest. Once the prayer-song was complete she sat back down and bowed her head, as did the Viskari present, for a few moments in silent contemplation before Talsharn spoke.

"Let the feast commence!"

Later on:

While the feast was in process and the hall was filled with the sounds of talking and laughter Talsharn turned slightly in his chair and addressed Lyndonah in the trade tongue.

"Loremaster, are the rumours of the nest of Blightspawn true?"

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lyndonah tried to be respectful and diligent during the rituals and songs at the beginning of the feast, but the meaning of the Viskari words and the purpose behind all the motions were mostly lost on her, though she thought to remind herself to inquire about these customs later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    "Loremaster, are the rumors of the nest of Blightspawn true?"
    “Aye, If ye mean the Ember Bats o’ the Roont’jo Mountain, then they be right true rumors indeed, Aranin. The Dream Speakers brung this dire warning to our people only a few moons back.” Lyndonah nodded over toward where Acindi was lounging in her chair, absently plucking the strings of a lyre she must have acquired from somewhere, half a plate of food still sitting ignored in front of her. “Acindi’Cai can tell ye in better words than I, as she t’were there to see ‘em in person. It is why I asked her to come with me t’ yer feast. I kin it be well that all chiefs o’ Tarandi understand well the threat that crouches in the dark corners o’ the lands.”
    Last edited by Laura; 2020-08-04 at 11:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

“Aye, If ye mean the Ember Bats o’ the Roont’jo Mountain, then they be right true rumors indeed, Aranin. The Dream Speakers brung this dire warning to our people only a few moons back.” Lyndonah nodded over toward where Acindi was lounging in her chair, absently plucking the strings of a lyre she must have acquired from somewhere, half a plate of food still sitting ignored in front of her. “Acindi’Cai can tell ye in better words than I, as she t’were there to see ‘em in person. It is why I asked her to come with me t’ yer feast. I kin it be well that all chiefs o’ Tarandi understand well the threat that crouches in the dark corners o’ the lands.”
    "Alas, there is little we can do to assist, no matter the details of these accursed bats," he admitted candidly, "Though it is the desire of every Viskari to see such abominations removed from Tarandi, I dare not dispatch my warriors on so long a trek while the omens are so cloudy. There is something that might help though..."

Talsharn reached into a pocket and pulled out wooden box carved with a stylised phoenix and laid it on the table between them. He opened it up to reveal eight silver rings and one empty space resting against black fur. Each of the rings had been made to resemble a phoenix and possessed a single dark red stone and matched a ring on one of the Aranin's fngers.

"The finest work of our Elders in generations, imbued with all the power they could muster. It is our hope they will bring light into the darkest places."

Dragons!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lyndonah peered at the rings with cautious awe. “Ye kin they will give strength 'gainst the Blightspawn, Siah?” She had never heard of such things coming about. Metal weapons, yes indeed, but metal rings? “They are very beautiful an’ I kin a much greater gift than the Shándole can repay ye.”

Where she’d been lounging in her chair, Acindi sat up and craned her long neck some to look over at the Aranin’s table. Rumors of legendary artifacts being crafted in Aran Viska had been circulating and the Dream Speaker had come with some hope of confirming this tale and laying eyes on the artifacts herself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am told by the Elders that they do indeed grant such a boon," he said, admiring the Ring he wore on his own finger, "Truly I am tempted to hoard all nine for myself, but the Elders have blessed them with all the powers of the world, every god and spirit from above and below and many more beside. I admit I didn't understand it completely, but they told me that they only work when two or more souls are united in common cause and as the Blightspawn are the enemy of all who live..." he paused for a moment before continuing, "I suppose it isn't in truth a gift. Rather I am arming my allies in the face of the coming onslaught. Both selflessness and selfishness see fit to motivate me."

Unfortunately for Acindi it was quite difficult to see what the Aranin was showing Lyndonah from where she was seated, the lid of the box was just in the way and though he was not whispering, Talsharn could not be heard over the noise of the feasting hall from so far away. Her curiosity would require more effort to satisfy.

Dragons!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

“Ye have an interesting way ‘o justifying generosity, Siah,” Lyndonah said and gave Talsharn a small smirk, “But I am honored that ye would kin the Shándole yer allies. I nary kin that there be a warrior ‘mong our people who has yet found the strength o’ skill to stand ‘gainst the Blightspawn alone, but when the true Ka a’rises to the task, I will see to it that they be given yer gift. May the depth of Simrah an’ the valor o yer own Can’Calah Dini face the onslaught Ka-by-Ka.” She placed fist to forehead and gave a small bow in acceptance of Talsharn’s offered gift.

Acindi got up, carrying her lyre and absently strumming along with a song being sung in the background, using her role as a musician to circle the room and get close enough to hear what was being said at the Aranin’s table.

She found herself hovering near to Old Lion, No Pride, No Death and cast him a curious glance, "Hey'ho Big Kitty," she greeted and leaned into his strong shoulder slightly her manner both casual and conspiring, "Can yeh make head'o'tale of what's happening up at the main table? I senses mighty things are 'afoot." She smiled at the Lion, "Or maybe its just you I've been attuning to. Yer stories have been ever a'gaining in popularity, Old Lion, No Pride, No Death."
    Last edited by Laura; 2020-08-05 at 01:57 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

"There is no need to thank me," he said as he handed one of the rings over to Lyndonah before closing the box, "When the time comes to strike against the Blightspawn you may need all the help you can get. Too many good people have been lost to those twisted abominations."

He went silent for a few moments before taking a gulp of wine.

"But we're not here to mourn the dead, no, we're here to feast and be merry!" he called over to one of the servers, "More wine for my friend the Loremaster and I!"

Dragons!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Found-In-New-Moon scowled at No-Pride-No-Death but was quickly distracted by the sight of the annoying crow. As any good cat is want to do when faced with such a Corvid pest he pounced. Thus began a careful game of tag. The ancient Cave Lion for what it was worth decided to recline by the table, obviously excusing himself of a seat, and waited to be fed. Each day took more than the last. His chest rising imperceptibly with each shallow breath he took. Perhaps he would dream for a time. He closed his eyes during most of the procession and singing, slipping off into a short dream.

He was a young cub again. Basking on a rock amongst his pride. The wind caressed his mane, transforming it into a flowing liquid sea of gold, and carrying the scent of blood from afar.

He awoke. Old. Broken. Alone. But at least there was food. Plenty of it at that, all within easy reach of him, and in his withering age he appreciated a hunt done for him. As Found-In-New-Moon lurked from above having scaled a wooden beam to chase the flying pest he laid his eyes upon the opening box just as No-Pride-No-Death did. Their eyes twinkled like lone stars in the midnight plains gifted with ancient knowing power. As Found-In-New-Moon approached the Aranin for a chance at once more glimpsing such a strange sparkly bauble No-Pride-No-Death looked to the fly that landed on his shoulder. Not a fly, but something just as deadly to the outcast.

"Something shiny," He deadpanned to the Dream Speaker "Stories? I know no tales of me but what my kin spit in my direction."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

The raven would have perhaps been annoyed at being thought of as a crow, but it could neither read minds nor understand the distinction, and so it just led Found-In-New-Moon on a merry chase around the hall. Eventually it left the leopard alone up a beam after its owner called it down with the promise of a morsel. Talsharn noticed the leopard's approach as wine was poured for him and Lyndonah and he smiled over at the emissary.

"Found-In-New-Moon! I was wondering where you'd gotten to, it's not like you to miss the start of a meal," he said with a chuckle, "Hmm... I have an odd question, if one of your people were to wear a ring like, say, this one I have on my hand, how would they do so?"

Meanwhile, as No-Pride awoke he was greeted by the smell of cooked and seasoned meat and on a silver platter on the floor before him was a very large serving of roast aurochs. It seemed that the servants had decided to make things easy for him on account of his advanced years. Either that or it was meant to be placed in a nearby empty space at the table, but the servant had decided not to risk asking him to move. It would have been rude after all and totally not due to justifiable fear of so terrible a beast.

Dragons!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    "Something shiny," He deadpanned to the Dream Speaker "Stories? I know no tales of me but what my kin spit in my direction."

“You should open yer ears a bit more, Kitty,” Acindi teased, nudging his mane with her elbow, “The Sangar are singing songs about you. The Shandole tell tales around their fires. Viskari shepherds weave stories, and even the Arrak snow scouts remember you often to one another. Skystruck-Tree and her ilk may still sit high on their feathers and disavow yer existence, but the rest of the lands have started taking an interest in you and not all of it is so bad as ye might think. You evoke danger, mystery and savagery and whether ye get cast as villain or hero, yer usually everyone’s favorite part of the story.”

She smiled again and strummed her instrument, “Tales be as the winds of gossip carry them. Truth is often lost in favor of fantasies, but I kin that sometimes truth is better than fantasy. Would ye care to tell yer tales in yer own words? As a Dream Speaker I could carry your own true stories across all the world and you would claim yer legend for yourself.”

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    "There is no need to thank me," he said as he handed one of the rings over to Lyndonah before closing the box, "When the time comes to strike against the Blightspawn you may need all the help you can get. Too many good people have been lost to those twisted abominations."

He went silent for a few moments before taking a gulp of wine.

"But we're not here to mourn the dead, no, we're here to feast and be merry!" he called over to one of the servers, "More wine for my friend the Loremaster and I!"

Lyndoanah took the ring and admired it closely, before taking out a soft fur scarf and carefully wrapping and then binding the bundle, so the ring could not get lost nor be easily stolen away from her.

She accepted the wine happily and drank maybe a little more than was wise. The wines in her own valley were seldom so strong nor so plentiful as the wine that flowed in Talsharn’s feasting hall. Soon she was toasting and laughing at the Aranin’s table with a boldness and bravado generally considered a failure of face in elven culture, but that seemed to fit right in with the Viskari halls.

“After eating we should be a’dancing!” She laughed, once her plate was finished and she’d emptied the goblet that was currently in her hand, “I kin I’d very much like t’ see what jigs ye have in these lands.” She stood cheerfully clapping her hands, “Halla-halla! Let’s find drums and make for feet to beat upon the floors!”
    Last edited by Laura; 2020-08-05 at 10:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Found-In-New-Moon gazed at the ring with rapt apprehension. Tilting his head then swiveling his ears and sitting up on his haunches the Snow Leopard licked his paw while feigning contemplation "Well I know Skystruck-Tree to wear some beads on a vine around her neck. That or woven into the hair would be the most likely cases of wearing such a gift. Though my kind are not ones for decoration with the creations of the forge." He smiled, seemingly pleased with his answer, and began to stretch languidly.

No-Pride-No-Death had already started in on his meal, tearing bits of meat apart with vicious vigor, and seemingly animated with a spirit unseen in the beast before. His undamaged eye dilated instantly, mouth salivating at the sight of ripped meat, and he tried his best to ignore the Dreamspeaker. Still, she persisted, and he knew her kind to live longer than he has so waiting for her to die wasn't really an option. He could always just kill her himself but that would invite more of her kind to pester him and he couldn't well just keep killing Elves all day and night. Rolling his eye to look at her with his mouth still filled with chunks of auroch flesh he mumbled between chewing "If I say yes will you let me eat in peace."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hmm... You fur is perhaps a bit too short for a proper braid anyway New-Moon," Talsharn said while rubbing his chin in contemplation, "It would likely not be very comfortable. But the Dread Lion has an ample mane and if he is truly not of your people as I've been told, then he may not have the same objections to wearing metal. Excuse me for a moment."

The Viskari stood up and walked around the table to where No-Pride and the Dreamspeaker were talking. Once he was standing beside the lion he got down onto his knees.

"I have a gift for you Dread Lion," he said perhaps a little too merrily as though the wine were starting to get to him. He took the ring off his finger and without warning began to braid it into No-Pride's mane, humming to himself as he did so.

Later on:

It was clear to everyone that Lyndonah had indulged in a bit too much wine, but the Aranin had matched her drink for drink and so he couldn't exactly judge. He got his own feet and laughed.

"Yes! Let us have music!" he called out, gesturing to some servants who returned shortly with a collection of drums, flutes and stringed instruments and began playing a lively tune. Talsharn wasted no time in taking Lyndonah by the hand to dance with her, pulling her along into a wild whirling dance. Fortunately the steps were pretty simple and even drunk the Elf's natural grace meant she had no difficulty following his lead as he gave her a crash course in Viskari dance. He manoeuvred them around the table into the central portion of the hall where they were joined by other pairs of dancers while those still seated began to sing along to the music and cheer.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2020-08-07 at 10:09 PM.

Dragons!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

“Peace is over rated,” Acindi scoffed, but then looked over and raised an eyebrow with interest as the Aranin came over knelt and braided the ring into the Lion’s mane. “What yeh doing Aranin’Siah?” she asked, peering at the ring. As Dream Speaker she knew a good number of customs, but half-orcs branding fine jewelry into lions’ manes was a new one to her.

Later On

Lyndonah laughed and swung around the dance floor with Talsharn. The wine didn’t seem to inhibit her ability to dance in the least, though she seemed a little confused by dancing in exclusive pairs, rather than swing dancing around in lines or interweaving circles with several partners. Nonetheless, she picked up the steps of the Viskari dance quickly enough and clearly enjoyed the experience.

After some time, when a song was coming to an end, she stepped back grinning. “Yer dancing is right swanny! I like it a lot. But watch’ye by Siah! Let me show ye’ and yer guests some River Clogg’n, a dance o’ my people.” She looked around and waved at the other elf. “Acindi! Set a clogg’n beat!”

The Dream Speaker smiled and used her tambourine to begin a lively beat, stomping her feet on the floor to go along with her instrument.

The elven lore master knocked some empty plates and goblets from the end of one table with a clatter of silver. Then hopped nimbly on to it to stand above the rest of the feast hall. She danced along the length of the table some, but mostly stayed within a small space. However, her feet tapped, kicked, and stamped as fast as the eyes could follow, beating and tapping a rhythm in time with the tambourine.

Acindi gave a whoop and a “Hey-Ho!” And then began singing a simple song verse in the Shandole language. It was short and easy to follow, even without knowing the meaning of the words. It repeated and every time it did it got a little faster and Lyndonah’s feet sped up to match the rhythm, gradually getting faster and faster. It was a remarkable display of physical precision and speed, showing the superhuman capabilities of elvenkind. Lyndonah's cornflower eyes shone, and her cheeks turned rosy with the wine and the exercise, as her braids swung around her thin shoulders.

But eventually, after several minutes, the beat got too fast and the lore master’s speed and energy lagged. “I Cry-off!” She finally laughed and jumped down, gasping for air but still grinning. “I h’aint… that good’a…. Ye should see… Edge, o’ some o the others… They’ll go twice… twice as long a’fore crying off!”

Acindi laughed and finished the end of her verse with a flourish of her tambourine. “In Shandole there’s usually a whole line o’ dancers,” she explained to Talsharn, as Lyndonah caught her breath, “And they will compete t’ see which of them can dance the longest ‘fore crying off.”

((Look up clogging dances, or Irish step dancing for an idea of the style Lyndonah uses))
    Last edited by Laura; 2020-08-07 at 11:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Talsharn looked up mid braid as Acindi voiced her curiosity. His hands continued working without slowing and it was clear that he was used to working with hair in such a manner.

"I'm braiding my gift into his mane so he doesn't lose it," he said matter-of-factly, "He has no fingers with which to wear the ring and if I use the ring itself to secure the braid, well, he won't ever have to worry about it falling out. Not for a while at least."

Later on during the impromptu dance party:

The gathered Viskari watched on, cheering and clapping their hands to the beat as the music sped up. They'd never seen such a display of footwork and their cheers once Lyndonah indicated she was done were loud and boisterous. A couple of the more inebriated warriors even went so far as to jump up onto the table and attempt the dance themselves only to quickly end up immediately falling down to a chorus of laughter.

"Oh? A competition Noble Dream Speaker?" Talsharn asked with a grin, "Alas, we of the Viskari are not skilled enough in dance to dare compete with the Loremaster as Azak and Orian have so kindly demonstrated for us all. Nay, we must concede this battle and instead we must request another arena, one where we will not be disadvantaged by our clumsy feet. Let us instead sing stirring songs of heroes and monsters, of love and war."

Without any further prompting the Viskari musicians started playing a much calmer piece of music and once the introductory passage was complete, Talsharn joined in, adding his rich baritone. The Aranin's voice matched the music, rising in stirring crescendos and dying down to a whisper in the quieter sections. Though his choice of song had a clear effect on the Viskari, some of whom even went so far as to cry during the more emotional moments, though the freely flowing wine likely had much to do with that.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2020-08-08 at 01:49 PM.

Dragons!