New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Gender Flipped forced relationship books

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    I think the most common trope for a reluctant male is a shotgun wedding granted that has died down a lot in the last century.

More modernly, there's a lot of examples of 'accidental' marriage where the man finds out he got married by participating in some ritual. The woman is thrilled (or ok with it) but the guy isn't. But those tend to be Sci FI and TV/Film. It's the plot of at least 1 or 2 Stargate episodes. Farscape has the John Critchon being forced to marry a Princess as he's the only way she can produce an heir or get turned over to the alien hunting him.

In an Ideal Husband, an Oscar Wilde play, Lord Goring is forced into a wager by a woman to marry her if he loses.

For not quite forced examples, in the Horatio Hornblower series, the titular character gets married out of guilt because he doesn't want to hurt the girls feelings by turning down her unwanted affections. In the Alloy of Law Mistborn series, the main character is the head of a noble house and is getting married to be bailed out of a bad financial situation. The girl is perfectly cognizant of and content with the deal she's making. The male less so.

EDIT: Oh, in the Jeeves and Wooster books several plots involve Wooster being almost forced into a unwanted marriage only to be saved by Jeeves.

Also in the Wheel of Time series, one of the main male characters, Mat, is forced at knifepoint by a queen into becoming her lover.
    Don't forget Firefly. Saffron is able to trick Mal into marrying her under the laws of the planet they are on. While she's doing it for nefarious reasons, the law itself is apparently active and accepted.

Game of Thrones: Double forcing. Tyrion and Sansa are wed, and neither wants it.

Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series has at different times two very reluctant kings marrying to secure their claim/realm.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mucat View Post
    So then Tylin essentially rapes him at knifepoint, and all the female main characters close ranks and say "Serves you right, Mat. Now you're getting a taste of the way you treat women." And Mat agrees with them, and admits with resignation that he deserved what happened.
    This is not what happens. The female main characters believe (because they do not get Omnipresent Narrator Vision) that he was trying to seduce the queen only to find her dominant in the relationship, and think it serves him right. As soon as he gets the chance, he explodes at them and reveals the true story, at which point they stop treating it as if it were his fault. He never has a "I guess I do deserve this" moment.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    This is not what happens. The female main characters believe (because they do not get Omnipresent Narrator Vision) that he was trying to seduce the queen only to find her dominant in the relationship, and think it serves him right. As soon as he gets the chance, he explodes at them and reveals the true story, at which point they stop treating it as if it were his fault. He never has a "I guess I do deserve this" moment.
    Not how I remember that. He explodes at Elayne and she says something along the lines of "that is... Very bad of Tylin." Then she tells him he should practice smiling in the mirror and mutters about it serving him right under her breadth.

They also let it go on for a while, so its not like they use their immense power as Aes Sedai to help him.

But also.. Elayne is an idiot. Who knows how someone else would have dealt with it, we have the dumbest cast member's reaction.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2020-07-30 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by moonfly7 View Post
    Ever notice how if a story has any element of a forced romantic relationship, be it marriage or what have you, if anyone is ok with it or is benefiting from it, its the dude? Sure plenty of times they both want out, but I've never read a book where the woman is getting something out of it/is onboard with it and happy and the guy is 100% "Heck no why would this be ok with me?". Not that I read ton's of these stories or anything but I've seen one or two, and they're generally the same thing.
    Are there even books like this that exist? doesn't have to be main plot/point of the story, honestly it's better if it isn't in my opinion, but does anybody know of any books like this at all?
    What your are describing sounds pretty much like the marriage of Scarlett and Rhett in Gone With The Wind (the book and less so the movie). At first in their relation Rhett was indeed infactuated with Scarlett but as the story progresses less so to the point he walks out of it eventually.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

This is unsurprisingly common in anime and manga with the harem genre being built on the trope.

Off the top of my head, Urusei Yatsura is built on this and the whole Shampoo/Ranma relationship in Ranma 1/2.

Monster Musume is a more recent one, although whether the male protagonist is trying to avoid comittment or just being eaten by a prospective bride, is up for debate.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    I think the most common trope for a reluctant male is a shotgun wedding granted that has died down a lot in the last century.

More modernly, there's a lot of examples of 'accidental' marriage where the man finds out he got married by participating in some ritual. The woman is thrilled (or ok with it) but the guy isn't. But those tend to be Sci FI and TV/Film.
    Firefly also gets an entry here, albeit twisted a bit by the fact that she's conning him. Still, it's a fine entry for "guy doesn't want to be married, woman's goin' for it". Edit: Continuing to read, I see others have already noted this example.

There is also a deeply uncomfortable scene in the Boys about a relationship where a woman's blackmailing a dude to be with her. There's a fair amount of looking at remarkably messed up relationships in season one. I should probably rewatch that before S2 comes out. It's a wonderful show, but you may find yourself wishing to take a shower after watching, as the subject matter can get a wee bit dark.

There is sort of an example of this is S2 of the Umbrella Academy. This is super fresh, so I'll avoid specific details with regards to spoilers. It isn't marriage, but it is a relationship that is largely female driven with a male who is....deeply concerned and conflicted about the whole thing.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2020-08-04 at 02:47 PM.