Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Dangerous Designs [Wildemount 5e]

Hi all, I'm sorry I stopped posting without a word of warning. A combination of overwork and depression got the best of me. Thankfully Iím starting a new job soon, so no more 12+ hour days!

I appreciate your understanding. When depression hits it feels like Iím at the bottom of the ocean, and when I finally reach surface I realize I was standing in a puddle the whole time. Really messes with my head.

I just uploaded an IC post as well. This group of people has disappeared into the city, and for now you are the only ones standing on this street.
    My avatar is by Kari Avalon, aka @evatrice on twitter!
    Current campaigns: Tomb of Annihilation (OOC), Vengeful Tides (OOC), Dangerous Designs (OOC)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Post Re: [OOC] Dangerous Designs [Wildemount 5e]

Spoiler: Depression
    Show
    I definitely understand. I had to go to a crisis center at the beginning of this year, and was lucky enough to learn all kinds of mental and social skills there that I never knew I needed. Now sometimes I recognize those puddles for what they are, and when a situation seems impossibe I think "keep going, keep doing, keep breathing". Most of the time it works; I still feel miserable and despair, but I can get stuff done despite that. I hope you never need a crisis center, but that you still get pick up the same skills that I did.

I'm very satisfied with how that went down. There was basically no chance for him to realistically bring her down, but the first impressions were made.
    Last edited by HelixIconix; 2020-09-22 at 09:48 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Depression
    Show
    I appreciate you sharing that with me. It's really hard for me to open up about that kind of thing. I started some new meds earlier this year and I started going to therapy again two months ago, and those have definitely helped me deal with those times where it gets really difficult to keep going. It's still a work in progress, but practice makes perfect!

Lilly (and anyone else who is interested) can make a History check to see if the name "Sken" sounds familiar.
    Current campaigns: Tomb of Annihilation (OOC), Vengeful Tides (OOC), Dangerous Designs (OOC)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I struggled with it too, when I was younger, it can still creep up on me here and there. So I can empathize with what you're going through even if I'm not aware of specifics. New job with more reasonable hours sounds like it'd help, you've gotten this far, so you're plenty strong, just keep moving forward!

Game-wise, any chance Richter could have gotten off a shot before they hit the second fog bank?

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you for your kind words! Itís one of those things that lots of people deal with, which is something that I always forget when Iím in the midst of it.

Richter definitely would have had time to get off a shot, they run for about two rounds before the second fog cloud springs up.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Lilly's History - (1d20)[3]

However that comes out, I'd like to suggest that if Sken is a longtime resident Lilly will have been much more in a position to have come across the name in conversation during months of slumming and carousing than anything else. I feel she is, currently, too myopic and self-centered to consider actions and consequences in the long view, or how esoteric information could be of any immediate use to her. If you find this acceptable, I'd ask that you look to the following straight Charisma roll instead. I'll accept your choice and outcome in either case.

Unless you're just viewing the History skill differently than I. [shrug]

Spoiler: Charisma
    Show
    (1d20+2)[21]

7. - Top - End - #67

BlackDragon

Post Re: [OOC] Dangerous Designs [Wildemount 5e]

Spoiler: My take on the use of History regarding a living individual...
    Show

Something tells me that if Sken was a longtime figure in Hupperdook we wouldn't really need to roll to know about her. If History is involved with knowing about her, she must have been involved with a relatively well-known event that is of little importance to most peoples' day to day lives.
    Maybe she starred in a circus that came through, maybe she ran for public office, or she started a restaurant that had a spectacular grand opening and then shut down shortly after. If I had to make an OoC guess, the kobolds make it more likely she had a mug shot in the local newspaper (it's a city with gnomes, so I assumed newspapers instead of a town crier).
    At least, that's how I see a History check based on someone who is still alive: someone obscure enough to need a check, but well-known enough that you'd use History to remember the related event (instead of Investigation to research connections like an obsessed conspiracy theorist).
    Last edited by HelixIconix; 2020-09-23 at 09:21 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Variant History Checks
    Show
    I'm a fan of the variant rules for skill checks from the PHB (p175). For example, I had Liorel make a STR(Persuasion) check to convince the goliath to be friends.

Like @Gorgon_Heap pointed out, Lilly would most likely have heard the name "Sken" while partying and carousing, rather than seeing it in a paper/researching it/etc.
    Also like @HelixIconix pointed out, I'm using History rather than Investigation because this is a check based on memory, rather than piecing together clues.

All these things considered, you are definitely welcome to make a CHA(History) check.

A CHA(History) will have slightly different results than an INT(History) check.
    • With an INT(History) check, you're rolling to see how well you can remember information that you've learned.
      A success will mean that you can remember who "Sken" is, why she's in Hupperdook, where she came from, etc.
    • With a CHA(History) check, you're combining the skill of retaining esoteric information with the ability to interact effectively with others.
      A success will mean you can remember who told you the name Sken, what their position was, and the context in which they were talking about her.

The DC for each task will also be different, but I won't tell you which one is higher.

I went on a whole long philosophical tear about the role/result of skill checks, but the tl;dr is Yes, you can use Charisma to make a History check.
    Just this once, I'll use the second roll- but normally, if you're not sure about what modifiers to add, roll once and then list the modifiers afterwards. No messing with fate that way. ;)

Spoiler: Lilly
    Show
    It's been a while since you heard the name Sken, but you do remember hearing it around a month ago. You had been relaxing at a bar in Lower Hupperdook, when a trio of brash human Crownsguard came in and sat at a table a few feet from you. They were clearly already inebriated, and one of them began talking loudly about how the gnomes were too small.

He turned to you without prompting, saying "You should have seen the size of this woman we locked up today- seven feet tall!" The second one guffawed, adding "He hasn't been able to stop talking about Sken all evening, don't-" They were both interrupted by a cuff to the head from the third one, who hissed "Shut up about her! That's a bloody secret, not one that you're meant to blab all around town!"

The first guard, rubbing his head, proceeded to hit on you with lines like "You're pretty for a short girl" and "Ever spent the night with a human man?" They were kicked out for being disruptive 15 minutes later. ((It's up to you if you flirted back, ignored him, or spent the night with him.))

Based on your time in Hupperdook, you recognized the first and the third Crownsguard as being prison guards, at the nearby Gearhole Prison.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Results of the gunshot on the smaller companion, 12 (or 23 if advantage due to Stealth), for 13 (or 15 if sneak attack applies). I'll post his reaction once I find out if I winged him.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

You winged them good. Your shot connects directly with their head, and they do a flip before plowing into the ground. As soon as Sken sees this, the fog cloud appears and she disappears behind it.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

normally, if you're not sure about what modifiers to add, roll once and then list the modifiers afterwards. No messing with fate that way.
    That is fair, and good thinking. I'll try to bear it in mind.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Another week, another fight to get my paycheck correct One of many reasons that I needed to get a new job...

I hope everyone has had a good week and is looking forward to their weekend!

13. - Top - End - #73

BlackDragon

I'm doing fairly well, my kids are being adorable and my job is, well... It's reminding me that I am ready to go to school so I can be my own boss.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

So we're splitting the group?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HelixIconix View Post
    I'm doing fairly well, my kids are being adorable and my job is, well... It's reminding me that I am ready to go to school so I can be my own boss.
    Iím glad youíre having a good time with your kids! And I really hear that, working long enough for people who are incompetent or just donít care about you takes quite a toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    So we're splitting the group?
    The watchmaster is happy to give money to whoever takes him up on his offer, whether itís one of you or all 5 (seven including Lilla and Clarissa). Also, roll a Persuasion check to convince him to bump up your advance.

16. - Top - End - #76

BlackDragon

I wasn't going to have Liorel split from the group -- he merely wishes to avoid turning in the goliath to the authorities, especially since Lilly and Liorel have likely left a few unsolved mysteries for the Watch themselves (in the past).

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Richter ain't the go to guy for Persuasion, but here goes, Persuasion Check, (1d20-1)[6]. This isn't going to turn out well.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mystery roll: (1d20)[12]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

I wasn't going to have Liorel split from the group -- he merely wishes to avoid turning in the goliath to the authorities, especially since Lilly and Liorel have likely left a few unsolved mysteries for the Watch themselves (in the past).
    I'd prefer to stay on-mission, but Lilly will go wherever somebody waves a coin in front of her face.

20. - Top - End - #80

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgon_Heap View Post
    I'd prefer to stay on-mission, but Lilly will go wherever somebody waves a coin in front of her face.
    Ya dang skippy -- we should expect nothing less from an enterprising young rogue!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ya dang skippy -- we should expect nothing less from an enterprising young rogue!
    Lilly is nothing if not a go-getter.

Gearhole Prison, and the cell that Sken escaped from, is about a 5 minute walk to the east. It sits at the base of the mountainz. Iíll post a longer description tonight.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hi all, I hope youíre doing well. For a variety of reasons, my personal life has become very busy and I havenít had time to devote attention to this game.
    That doesnít look like itís going to be changing anytime soon, so rather than stringing you all along, Iím going to step away from the game.
    It has been a pleasure playing with you all, and Iím sorry I couldnít keep it going.

If anyone wants to pick up the title of GM, Iíd be happy to send along my campaign notes.

Thanks again for your time, I appreciate you all sharing your creativity!