New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Question about Deva Fallen Star Power

Q1: My question is about a Deva Fallen Star power, Forgetting Ray (Monster Manual 2, p. 63). I know 4e allows for DM interpretation--which I like--so I am not asking this question with the intention of finding an end-all answer, I moreso would like opinions on interpretation. My question about Forgetting Ray is: does the line "target can only use basic attacks and at-will powers during its next turn" preclude the target/PC from taking other actions on their turn, i.e. minor actions, move actions, free actions, etc.?

My initial thought was that, given that the Fallen Star is a level 26 creature, the power should be as restrictive as possible, and I followed a hard interpretation. If a PC can still take other actions it didn't seem as powerful as I would've wanted it to be, maybe. But on second thought I was simply unsure.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Question about Deva Fallen Star Power

I'd definitely parse it as "can only use !basic! attacks and !at-will! powers" (so no restriction on actions that are neither attack nor powers, like movement, dropping prone, speaking, making death saving throws), unless the fluff heavily hints at the opposite.

Also, if it were intended to prevent nearly all possible kinds of actions, it'd be worded differently.
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2020-07-27 at 09:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

To everyone i played with in a certain campaign: i'm sorry i've dropped off without a warning, but a sudden case of twin daughers is a very solid reason, trust me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Question about Deva Fallen Star Power

Thanks for your response, Lord Haart. I think that's a reasonable way to parse it out, and your point about the power's description not including other actions is well-taken.