New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

frown My kids totally ruined my OOTS book collection

As an avid OOTS consumer, I did what any of us do: I bought each book as it came out, read it front to back once, then put it back on my shelf in near-mint condition because they all look good together and only take them down occasionally when I want to remind myself of something form the commentary or a bonus strip.

Well, until my kids came along. My son and daughter, ages 8 & 9, saw the books on the shelf one day and asked to read them. I was ecstatic, and got even more excited when i realized they ACTUALLY liked them, and wouldn't get bored after a few weeks like they usually do with something new. But quickly a problem arose: they treated these books like their own indestructible mass-market paperbacks, bending them back along the spine instead of using bookmarks, tossing them in backpacks, etc. And the books quickly wore out, as you can see here:

Spoiler: NSFCBF (Not safe for comic book fans)
    Show

At first I got upset with them about it, but after awhile I just let the inevitable happen and watched with disbelief as my beloved books were destroyed.

But now I realize: I couldn't be happier. My books are being read and loved as they were designed to be. Sitting on a shelf doesn't help anyone. My kids can't discover a new world by looking at the covers. So what if they're ugly now, as long as I can FINALLY discuss the Snarl with my kids? So what if I lost a few books, because now I have someone to get excited with when a new strip comes out!

So don't mourn my books like I did, celebrate that we now have 2 new members of our fandom! (well you can mourn the 2 books that got lost and the 1 that lost all the pages, because they're definitely getting replaced). I will show off my ruined books with pride, because they are evidence that I have 2 super cool kids that appreciate a story which is WAY deeper than any of their books. And I encourage any other parents to do the same, because it is well worth the loss. The trickiest part is explaining what a "whore" is to an 8 year old.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: My kids totally ruined my OOTS book collection

That's how my books tend to look all by my own doing. I even had to order A second NCftPB because bathrooms and books is a bad combination.

(Keep the kids away from the super hero escapism.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

In general I direct you to Haley Starshine's preface in Utterly Dwarfed.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    The trickiest part is explaining what a "whore" is to an 8 year old.
    You could break it down into into technical honesty - a whore is a service provider who exchanges time performing a service for financial compensation, much like a plumber, an accountant or a clown.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Question Re: My kids totally ruined my OOTS book collection

All of the onscreen killing, and that's what you found unsuitable? Americans are so strange sometimes.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    All of the onscreen killing, and that's what you found unsuitable? Americans are so strange sometimes.
    Sex is a lot more complicated than violence, at least conceptually. There's not much to explain when it comes to stabbing bad guys. There will be when the kids are older, of course - but the concept of good guys and bad guys is probably enough for now.

Anyway, congratulations on having kids with such excellent taste, littlebum! That's something we can all aspire to (well, those of us without kids, or kids old enough to read, anyway... so, half of us?).
    Last edited by Emanick; 2020-07-28 at 11:55 AM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

6. - Top - End - #6

To be honest, they're probably well incultured on violence from their cartoons.

Look at it this way, Littlebum: now you have a reason to give more money to The Giant.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post

You could break it down into into technical honesty - a whore is a service provider who exchanges time performing a service for financial compensation, much like a plumber, an accountant or a clown.
    To be fair, I can't explain clowns either.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Is OtOoPC newer, or just holding up better because it's thinner?

Anyway, I would have bought a second set of pristine books just for myself. Surely that would have been cheaper than having two kids.
    ungelic is us

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    That's what gave me the idea to post this, actually

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    I mean I didn't find it unsuitable, or else I wouldn't have let them read it. I'm just saying it's a bit harder to explain. They know all about the birds and the bees, but I think 8 & 9 is a little young for the "some people have sex for money" talk.

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    Is OtOoPC newer, or just holding up better because it's thinner?
    It's thinner, which means they read it quicker, which means they had less time to destroy it. I'm sure wherever Start of Darkness is, it's probably in great condition, too.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-07-29 at 08:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I have some kind of picture book/graphic novel of The Hobbit. It's beautiful.

I spent a lot of time with it as a small child, looking at the pictures, loving the art.

I also scribbled in it with an awful green marker.

Why? Who the hell knows.

Kids engage with things in potentially destructive ways. You can probably teach them to be more careful with the books, if it's not too late (or be more careful with other books). It's good that you're seeing this as a positive thing, though.
    *Above post: Additional terms and restrictions may apply.
    My old OotS fanart
    My art on Instagram

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Anyway, congratulations on having kids with such excellent taste, littlebum! That's something we can all aspire to (well, those of us without kids, or kids old enough to read, anyway... so, half of us?).
    In my case I biologically can't with my girlfriend, so I guess I'm on the "can't aspire to it" list? Not that I mind, anyway, never planned to have kids of my own.

Still, congrats on the damaged books and finding the silver lining in it, littlebum.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    In my case I biologically can't with my girlfriend, so I guess I'm on the "can't aspire to it" list?
    Not that I'm saying you should or anything, but "biologically" isn't the only way to have a kid. Though I think I should stop there.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #13

Not that I'm saying you should or anything, but "biologically" isn't the only way to have a kid. Though I think I should stop there.
    Oh I know, but I think if I went that route I'd skip straight to teenager, and I still lean pretty far away from it anyway. Just not something I want out of life.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2020-07-29 at 08:58 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    In my case I biologically can't with my girlfriend, so I guess I'm on the "can't aspire to it" list? Not that I mind, anyway, never planned to have kids of my own.
    Good point - not everyone is a parent or future parent! I should have used more nuanced wording.

In any case, for those of us who do aspire to be parents, it's always nice to see a model of it being done right.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    I have some kind of picture book/graphic novel of The Hobbit. It's beautiful.

I spent a lot of time with it as a small child, looking at the pictures, loving the art.

I also scribbled in it with an awful green marker.

Why? Who the hell knows.

Kids engage with things in potentially destructive ways. You can probably teach them to be more careful with the books, if it's not too late (or be more careful with other books). It's good that you're seeing this as a positive thing, though.
    I have a Choose Your Own Adventure book which my little sister drew smiley faces all over the cover of, plus she blacked out the title and replaced it with "Smiley Face Land." I actually let her, since she promised to leave the inside part alone.

Also I could tell you many, many stories about the various vandalisms committed on the books in my school classrooms, but some of them are probably inappropriate for this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Aw, this is such a wholesome thread. Hopefully, when Book 7 arrives they'll be at an age where they can treat it with a little more respect.

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

As an avid OOTS consumer, I did what any of us do: I bought each book as it came out, read it front to back once, then put it back on my shelf in near-mint condition because they all look good together and only take them down occasionally when I want to remind myself of something form the commentary or a bonus strip.

Well, until my kids came along. My son and daughter, ages 8 & 9, saw the books on the shelf one day and asked to read them. I was ecstatic, and got even more excited when i realized they ACTUALLY liked them, and wouldn't get bored after a few weeks like they usually do with something new. But quickly a problem arose: they treated these books like their own indestructible mass-market paperbacks, bending them back along the spine instead of using bookmarks, tossing them in backpacks, etc. And the books quickly wore out, as you can see here:

Spoiler: NSFCBF (Not safe for comic book fans)
    Show

At first I got upset with them about it, but after awhile I just let the inevitable happen and watched with disbelief as my beloved books were destroyed.

But now I realize: I couldn't be happier. My books are being read and loved as they were designed to be. Sitting on a shelf doesn't help anyone. My kids can't discover a new world by looking at the covers. So what if they're ugly now, as long as I can FINALLY discuss the Snarl with my kids? So what if I lost a few books, because now I have someone to get excited with when a new strip comes out!

So don't mourn my books like I did, celebrate that we now have 2 new members of our fandom! (well you can mourn the 2 books that got lost and the 1 that lost all the pages, because they're definitely getting replaced). I will show off my ruined books with pride, because they are evidence that I have 2 super cool kids that appreciate a story which is WAY deeper than any of their books. And I encourage any other parents to do the same, because it is well worth the loss. The trickiest part is explaining what a "whore" is to an 8 year old.
    Are they the eponymous "little bum"?

18. - Top - End - #18

Now, those look like real comic books. The ones that get some love, instead of dust :)

When I was thet age, I drew over the nicer images so that the deep lines would mark a blank piece of paper underneath, on which I would redraw the character in a background of my own. Let's say it left a mark on my father's comic book collection. ^^
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2020-08-05 at 05:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

I mean I didn't find it unsuitable, or else I wouldn't have let them read it. I'm just saying it's a bit harder to explain. They know all about the birds and the bees, but I think 8 & 9 is a little young for the "some people have sex for money" talk.
    Personally I find it best to to just tackle questions like this head on when they arise. Sometimes, children understand more than you think, and there's always the "it will make sense when you are older" card to play.
    That said, when asked about terms like this I usually ask about the context since "whore" can both describe a prostitute or be used as a general invective. Saying "it's a mean word used towards women" can absolutely answer their question under some circumstances.

Anyway, it's great fun to be able to share your hobbies with your children, so well done there!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luna_Mayflower View Post
    Are they the eponymous "little bum"?
    I'm Little Bum. They're Littler Bum and Littlest Bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Personally I find it best to to just tackle questions like this head on when they arise. Sometimes, children understand more than you think, and there's always the "it will make sense when you are older" card to play.
    That said, when asked about terms like this I usually ask about the context since "whore" can both describe a prostitute or be used as a general invective. Saying "it's a mean word used towards women" can absolutely answer their question under some circumstances.

Anyway, it's great fun to be able to share your hobbies with your children, so well done there!
    I told them something along those lines. I agree, it's never a good idea to lie to kids or tell them they;re not old enough.

21. - Top - End - #21

If there's one thing I would tell new parents, it's to never lie to the kids and always keep your promises. Kids are pretty good BS detectors and will always remember if you break a promise (so don't make promises unless you're sure you can deliver, which come to think of it is good advice in general).

22. - Top - End - #22

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    Sometimes, children understand more than you think...
    Try nearly always. My kids are always listening, even when I'm sure they're not, and they are always understanding about 30% more than I thought they were.

My rule of thumb is to never loan a book that I can't replace or do without. That applies to loaning to adults just as much as to kids. Thank goodness for the digital age and .pdfs.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

I'm Little Bum. They're Littler Bum and Littlest Bum.
    I'm Little Luna-tic.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    It's not just kids.

I remember reading a description of researchers as people who try to break things, and then look at the wreckage to try to figure out what happened.

Describes auto safety designers, particle colliders, etc. :-)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

25. - Top - End - #25

I've heard particle colliders described as being like throwing a piano down a staircase and trying to figure out how it works by the noises it makes on the way down.

Not particularly relevant, I just wanted to share that since someone else brought them up.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I was all psyched up to respond how a well-loved book is such a testament to both it and its owner, but you beat me to the punch! Congrats on your recruitment of two more fans.

I still remember the fantasy novel whose binding completely gave up: I would bring it to grade school in chunks

The preface to Good Omens talks about the bizarre, horrible condition of the copies that fans would bring up for autographing: this seems to be a systemic problem!

The only brand-new copies we would ever see were gifts, or replacements for copies borrowed by friends and never returned. "It's my sixth copy. The others never came back," people would tell us, with a mixture of pride and resignation. We would write HAVE A NICE DOOMSDAY on their books. Or one of us would write BURN THIS BOOK and the other, when he got it, APPLY HOLY MATCH HERE.
    - Neil Gaiman
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Try nearly always. My kids are always listening, even when I'm sure they're not, and they are always understanding about 30% more than I thought they were.
    Children will listen!
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2020-08-13 at 03:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Flumph

That's why digital media always trumps.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Not to worry, you can always make more kids. They're a renewable resource.