New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Cleric / warlock help

We are currently working through the mad mage Campaign. The party is made up of a barbarian, rogue, artificer, fighter and im a cleric. All initial classes where given by the DM. We ate going ok at level 8. So here is my current predicament! Im a forge cleric 7 undying light warlock 1 lizardfolk. As the only caster (the artificer is the one with the cannon) i generally stay out of the close quarters. We keep getting a accosted by things that cast darkness like pesky Drow or the dungeon is in darkness. I was thinking of taking my next level in warlock for the devil sight invocation but how should i spli my levels 18 cleric 2 warlock? Or would more warlock levels give better benefits? Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Cleric / warlock help

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiot View Post
    We are currently working through the mad mage Campaign. The party is made up of a barbarian, rogue, artificer, fighter and im a cleric. All initial classes where given by the DM. We ate going ok at level 8. So here is my current predicament! Im a forge cleric 7 undying light warlock 1 lizardfolk. As the only caster (the artificer is the one with the cannon) i generally stay out of the close quarters. We keep getting a accosted by things that cast darkness like pesky Drow or the dungeon is in darkness. I was thinking of taking my next level in warlock for the devil sight invocation but how should i spli my levels 18 cleric 2 warlock? Or would more warlock levels give better benefits? Thanks
    Or you could just cast "Daylight"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I would stick at two levels, although I dont know the adventure.

So it sounds like devil's sight will be useful... if these trends continue. You get another invocation and two spell slots per short rest.

Normally I wouldn't consider much for a multiclass that delayed spell progression so much. With a cleric though it is bizarrely not terrible. Clerics get awesome low level spells but less awesome high level ones so a bundle of low level slots are actually pretty good. If you are something like a hexblade you can also get shield, a great way to keep concentration on your awesome cleric spells (well you have this already, but it means a bundle more uses per day).

So yeah, whilst not the "best" option, in the right campaign it can be good, and this sounds like the right campaign.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It depends a bit on how much you cast and what spells they are. You can cast your cleric spells using the warlock spells and vice versa so getting a couple 2nd level spell slots that recharge is pretty decent. Just be careful about using offensive spells since they would use Charisma instead of Wisdom. Also getting Pact of the Tome could be quite useful since you don't have a lot of caster support.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I generally always take devils sight when im a warlock and i agree that would should stop dip at 2. While 3 is tempting there really isn’t really a need dor it