You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default [Mafia/Werewolf] Witch Hunt

Spoiler: Basic Rules of Mafia
    Show
    Players are randomly assigned as either town (good guys) or witches (bad guys). The witches know who each other are, while the members of the town only know their own role. The game is divided into two alternative phases. A day phase where all living players vote to kill one player, then a night phase where the witches discuss among themselves and choose one player to kill. The object of the game is to eliminate the other team.

This particular game will be different in several key ways from the standard style used here, so even veterans should probably read carefully...
    • Roles are not revealed on death.
    • Communication outside either the thread or QTs provided by the narrator is not allowed. Posting at night is also not allowed.
    • Voting ends as soon as a majority has been reached, rather than continuing for a set duration. This means it is possible to end the day earlier than expected by adding the last vote needed for a majority, either accidentally or intentionally.
    • It is possible to vote for "no lynch" and this can reach a majority and end the day. (Though note the "judge" role)
    • Day phases do however have a time limit, and if that is reached the day will end as if "no lynch" had won the vote.
    • Because it is important to be able to go back and track when votes were made and retracted, editing posts is not allowed. If you want to retract a vote please make a new post including UNVOTE in red.
    • The witches can choose to sacrifice one of their own in order to make their kill unblockable. This can be done by voting in the witches' QT, and only requires votes from half the living witches rather than a strict majority. In the event of a tie, both witches are sacrificed, with the exception that the spy always loses a 1v1 vote.
    • There is a spy among the witches who is actually a member of town. This means the witches cannot fully trust each other, and essentially have to play a game within the game, trying to identify the spy like town tries to identify the witches.

Spoiler: Witch Roles
    Show
    Remember that one witch is actually the spy

Assassin
    If you are alive when a witch is sacrificed (including if you are the one sacrificed) then the witches gain an additional night kill.

Warlock
    You will survive the first time you should die to a lynch.

Junior Witch
    You do not begin the game in contact with the other witches, and do not know their identities. The other witches, and the spy, also do not know your identity.

At any point during the game, you may join the witch QT. Before that point, the priest will see you as good. If you join during the night, the priest will see you as evil that same night.

Necromancer
    After every night phase you will be informed of the roles of any players who died that night, including any player lynched by the judge.

Enchantress
    Before the game begins, you may chose two players to be lovers. As long as both lovers are alive, you cannot die to a normal lynch (but can die to a judge lynch). Note that you are not required to chose lovers.

The lovers will be told each otherís alignment at the beginning of the game (a spy or junior witch will appear to be town, as with the priestís scry). If one of the lovers dies to a lynch, the other will also die. If one of the lovers is the werewolf, the other will be informed of that fact and will join the werewolf faction. Otherwise, being a lover does not change the players' faction.

Demon
    After each night you will be told who the priest targeted, but not the result.

Spoiler: Town Roles
    Show
    Spy
    You replace one of the witches, and have access to the witch QT. However, you do not have the power of the witch you replace (unless you replace the junior witch).

You cannot be devoured by the werewolf, and always appear as "good" to the priest.

Vampire Hunter
    You have no special powers.

Priest
    Every night you can check one player. Villagers, the spy and a junior witch who has not yet joined the other witches return "good." Witches, the werewolf, and a junior witch who has already joined the other witches return "evil."

The acolyte knows your identity, but you do not know theirs.

Acolyte
    You know the identity of the priest.

Vengeful Bastard
    When you die, you may chose another player to be killed. This bypasses most protection, though a survivalist will still survive if it is their first death, and the werewolf will survive if they have successfully devoured.

Judge
    Any day with no lynch, either because of a failure to reach a majority or because the majority vote was for "no lynch," you may chose a player to die. The player will die before night and will be considered to have died to a lynch, but their death will only be announced at the end of the night, and their role will be revealed to the necromancer instead of the medium.

Traveler
    You are protected from the witches' night kill.

Survivalist
    You will survive the first time something should kill you.

Martyr
    You may sacrifice yourself to save another player from dying. At the end of every phase, you will be informed of who is dying and given the opportunity to take their place

Old Maid
    If you are lynched, every player is protected from the witches' night kill the following night. Note that this does not activate if you die any other way.

Reckless Hero
    At any time during the day before a majority is reached, you may chose to sacrifice yourself to decide that dayís lynch.

Nun
    You may, at any time during the day, request that the narrator confirm your role.

Medium
    After every day phase you will be informed of the roles of any players who died that day, with the exception of any player lynched by the judge.

Wizard
    The town wins the game if you are the last remaining villager.

Spoiler: Werewolf
    Show
    The werewolf is a third party that needs to kill all of both the town and the witches to win

Werewolf
    You cannot be lynched, though you can be killed by the vengeful bastard or by having your lover lynched (if you have one).

You may attempt to devour another player once per day. If you correctly identify their role, they are immediately killed and you are immune to all kills until the next day. Regardless of whether the attempt is successful, it will be publically revealed and your role will be exposed.

Players:
    1. AvatarVecna
    2. Valmark
    3. gac3
    4. Apogee1
    5. JeenLeen
    6. Snowblaze
    7. Bunny of Faith
    8. rogue_alchemist
    9. JonnyPatches
    10. CaoimhinTheCape
    11. Xihirli
    12. Elenna
    13. Unavenger
    Last edited by Aventine; 2020-08-04 at 04:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Mafia/Werewolf] Witch Hunt

I'm in. Schedule and signature are updated.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: AvatarVecna's Afterlife 2

Aspiring optimizers can try their luck in Zinc Saucier XXXIX: Hoist The Colors High

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    It's always AvatarVecna time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Mmm... I wonder wether the best play for a spy is to out all the witches minus the junior right off the bat.

I mean sure, you could get more by waiting for the junior witch, but with the risk of getting killed or sacrificed...

Does a witch's sacrifice need to be voluntarily?

Oh and I'm in.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-07-28 at 08:07 PM.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Do you want to see one being played? Nothing is currently recruiting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Mmm... I wonder wether the best play for a spy is to out all the witches minus the junior right off the bat.

I mean sure, you could get more by waiting for the junior witch, but with the risk of getting killed or sacrificed...

Does a witch's sacrifice need to be voluntarily?

Oh and I'm in.
    Ah see, this is why I was worried I had forgotten something in the first post. The sacrifice does not need to be voluntary, it can be done by a vote among the witches in their QT. The old rules I'm copying require 50% rather than the lynch vote's majority for a sacrifice, with a tie result in both getting sacrificed, but with the exception that a spy loses a 1v1 vote. So I'll probably just keep that.

The bigger issue with a spy claiming immediately is the werewolf. Town has very little ability to kill the werewolf, and so most likely will need the witches to do it. It makes for a weird, interdependent balance, which was part of why I wanted to run the game, to see how it worked out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am in. Can't wait to see how this goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

In

The werewolf is a cool anticlaim mechanism (along with no flips I suppose)
    Last edited by Apogee1; 2020-07-28 at 09:51 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm in. Also happy for a game without private QT communication.

Some questions.
    1. Can we trust what you wrote? It seems odd that the Vampire Hunter has no powers... though I guess fitting since there aren't any vampires to hunt.

2. With the werewolf, am I reading it right that, each day, they can attempt to devour someone by guessing their target's role. If they guess correctly, the person gets eaten and the werewolf gets kill immunity for a bit. BUT a devour-attempt outs the werewolf. BUT if the werewolf can repeatably devour someone successfully, there's no danger in being outted since they can't easily be killed. Am I right?

3. It sounds like the game ends when the Witches or Town are all dead... but that seems to make it impossible for the werewolf to win unless they kill the last remaining witch and last remaining townie on the same round. That is, seems likely there'd be a Day where it's 1 werewolf and 1 Witch OR 1 werewolf and 1 Town, and the game ends at that point with the werewolf losing. (If that Day phase is allowed to occur, presumably the werewolf could win by figuring out the last person's Role via process of elimination and devouring them... but that's no help if they lose once the Day starts.)
    Do the town/witches need to kill the werewolf as well as the opposed faction to win?

4. If the werewolf, or someone else somehow immune to lynches, would be the lynchee for the Day... is it just obvious the lynch failed as Day ends and nobody dies?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

3) Assuming I'm reading it right, if the werewolf and town only remain then if town doesn't have any killing role they are doomed even if it's 9 vs 1.

Or if the werewolf isn't one of the lovers.

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Do you want to see one being played? Nothing is currently recruiting.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm in. Also happy for a game without private QT communication.

Some questions.
    1. Can we trust what you wrote? It seems odd that the Vampire Hunter has no powers... though I guess fitting since there aren't any vampires to hunt.

2. With the werewolf, am I reading it right that, each day, they can attempt to devour someone by guessing their target's role. If they guess correctly, the person gets eaten and the werewolf gets kill immunity for a bit. BUT a devour-attempt outs the werewolf. BUT if the werewolf can repeatably devour someone successfully, there's no danger in being outted since they can't easily be killed. Am I right?

3. It sounds like the game ends when the Witches or Town are all dead... but that seems to make it impossible for the werewolf to win unless they kill the last remaining witch and last remaining townie on the same round. That is, seems likely there'd be a Day where it's 1 werewolf and 1 Witch OR 1 werewolf and 1 Town, and the game ends at that point with the werewolf losing. (If that Day phase is allowed to occur, presumably the werewolf could win by figuring out the last person's Role via process of elimination and devouring them... but that's no help if they lose once the Day starts.)
    Do the town/witches need to kill the werewolf as well as the opposed faction to win?

4. If the werewolf, or someone else somehow immune to lynches, would be the lynchee for the Day... is it just obvious the lynch failed as Day ends and nobody dies?
    1. Yes. I'll probably double check one of the threads I stole the roles from the make sure there isn't some other technicality or edge case I should clarify, but I haven't, and am not going to, lie about anything. The Vampire Hunter is just a Named Townie. While obviously I don't know for certain, since I'm stealing the setup, my assumption is it's simply a matter of needing something for the Named Townie's name, and so the original creator went with a joke about someone who was wrong genre savvy.

2. Yes. Like Apogee noted, the werewolf is largely a means to prevent mass claims breaking the game. If we get to the point where the werewolf has figured out the roles of everyone remaining, they pretty much win. Do note that the Spy can't be devoured, and the werewolf gets only one attempt per day. So the Spy still being alive makes it a risk to reveal yourself, and a failed attempt pretty much guarantees your death.

3. No, game ends when there is only one faction left or it is clear nothing can prevent that. If you're getting that idea from the "basic rules" spoiler, I meant that more as a very basic, bare-bones explanation of how Mafia works in general, for anyone who might stumble across this having never played before.

4. Yeah, day ends and nobody dies. So it should be pretty clear what happened, if not which specific role the lynchee is.

3) Assuming I'm reading it right, if the werewolf and town only remain then if town doesn't have any killing role they are doomed even if it's 9 vs 1.

Or if the werewolf isn't one of the lovers.
    The Vengeful Bastard can kill the werewolf with the revenge kill if the werewolf did not successfully devour that day. Alternatively, if the Spy has managed to survive and so is the last "witch" alive, they control the witch NK and can kill a werewolf that didn't successfully devour the previous day. And since the Spy is immune to devours, that would pretty much mean the wolf loses.
    Last edited by Aventine; 2020-07-28 at 11:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I meant with no kill roles remaining- including VB and Spy.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In for another attempt at making Valmark self-vote. Havenít read the setup yet, but I never really read the D&D setup in that much detail, so...
    I have returned.

Werewolf games won: 8
    Werewolf games lost: 6
    Games as town: 8
    Games as neutral: 2
    Games as wolf: 4
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 7

I have no clue what Iím doing, but you still shouldn't trust me.

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    In for another attempt at making Valmark self-vote. Havenít read the setup yet, but I never really read the D&D setup in that much detail, so...
    You should really read this setup or you'll be in for a surprise.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Read the bullet points, at least. If you want to skip the roles, I've definitely been guilty of that before, but there is some important stuff in the bullets.
    Last edited by Aventine; 2020-07-29 at 02:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Fine...

It will probably be useful.
    I have returned.

Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

How long will the day length be? Will it be more than the usual 48 hours?
    I have returned.

Extended Signature

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

How long will the day length be? Will it be more than the usual 48 hours?
    I'm thinking I'll just go with 48, but there might be something to be said for making it longer since the day ends once a majority is reached, so it shouldn't usually take the full time anyway.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm in! I think the first game I took part in on these forums had the same communication rules, though that was a while ago.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm in, but I see this ending horribly for me. Maybe not having cliques will actually benefit me, but likely I'll be marked suspicious for some little thing I do and killed just to prove my innocent role.
    Last edited by rogue_alchemist; 2020-07-29 at 07:37 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Look. It wasn't my fault this time. Honestly. I had nothing to do with it.
    I have returned.

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Question for a crazy and unlikely scenario: if the Enchantress happens to choose the Werewolf and the Junior Witch as Lovers, the Junior Witch joins the Werewolf faction. Would Junior Witch retain the ability to join the Witch QT, essentially acting as a spy for the werewolf?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I miss playing these games, I'd love to be in.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Look. It wasn't my fault this time. Honestly. I had nothing to do with it.
    You clearly said you would have wanted to lynch him if he hadn't been killed :p

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'll join!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Question for a crazy and unlikely scenario: if the Enchantress happens to choose the Werewolf and the Junior Witch as Lovers, the Junior Witch joins the Werewolf faction. Would Junior Witch retain the ability to join the Witch QT, essentially acting as a spy for the werewolf?
    Yes. The witch QT really should end up being a game within the game, rather than the more typical secure place for the witches to be totally open and strategize in safety.

Since the witches will know who the lovers are, the Junior Witch in that case will have to be able to do a good job of fake-claiming on the wolf's behalf.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I have returned.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Supagoof took the most blows and incidentally took exactly the same damage Xihirli inflicted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Xihirli: Being a better target since 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Xihirli, bastion of murder and betrayal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BasketOfPuppies View Post
    Wow I missed a lot today. So, kill Xihirli?
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Nobody else is gonna be right behind me, right now. Only Xihirli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    If Xi and I agree some more, I will start to doubt my own alignment!
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_footed View Post
    I still prefer to see you as the dagger hanging over us all, Xi.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Is the Old Maid's power activating announced in any way if they are voted off?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Apogee1 View Post
    Is the Old Maid's power activating announced in any way if they are voted off?
    No, the NK will just fail (unless it's powered-up by a sacrifice) without any explicit confirmation of why.

Also worth noting: the survivalist's power isn't really protection as much as an extra life, so he'll survive any kill the first time.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
    Also worth noting: the survivalist's power isn't really protection as much as an extra life, so he'll survive any kill the first time.
    I'm not sure I get the difference?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'm not sure I get the difference?
    If the Witches sacrifice one of themselves, their NK ignores protection. The Survivalist doesn't die the first time they should. So if a powered-up NK targets a Survivalist who hasn't yet used up their extra life, the Survivalist still doesn't die. Because it's not that they Survivalist has protection (that the powered-up NK ignores) it's that they just don't die the first time they should.

It's the difference between blocking an NK from happening, and allowing it to happen but having an extra life so you survive losing your first life anyway.
    Last edited by Aventine; 2020-07-29 at 08:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Oh alright, I had assumed that but I see it wasn't explicited in the role descriptions.