New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default What's your favorite cleric domain and why?

Clerics come in so many flavors. What features have you enjoyed in your games?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite cleric domain and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Verble View Post
    Clerics come in so many flavors. What features have you enjoyed in your games?
    Nature, hands down.

It's a solid tank, it has an excellent blend of utility and combat, it promotes teammates.

It's THE cleric. When I see a Nature Cleric, I know that it's a player that is experienced and is planning on making sure everyone is having a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Tempest, hands down.

It's the best tank, the best DPR, and still has a solid amount of everything else. It's probably most versatile and it's just really a lot of fun.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Order.

A great team player with some pretty unique abilities combined with enough AC that they won't need to use too many resources healing themselves.

To me order clerics encapsulate the idea that clerics are now more than just a heal-bot with a nice focus on control. Also compulsion is pretty funny, so bonus marks for that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Death then Order since most DM's wont allow the Death domain.

Death is interesting and the mechanics of the subclass support each other wonderfully.

Order takes the cake on buffing allies imo though. The fact that I can drop bless or healing word and give the hitter an extra attack is phenomenal.
    The Best advice I've ever heard on DMing a fun game.

1. Once the session begins don't look at the rules, Make a decision and move on.
    2. When in doubt rule in favor of the Player, You can always have a complication pop up if you need more excitement.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Arcana. What can be better than being a Cleric of magic itself, protecting the Weave from those who would corrupt it?

My level 7 Human Variant Arcana Cleric chose Magic Initiate Druid as their starting feat, giving him Divine, Arcane and Nature magic to draw upon. He has eight cantrips and a great selection of spells that will only improve as he levels up. Spell Breaker does not come up every session, but it's great to have when the party needs it. In combat, he wades in, gets Spirit Guardians going, drops a Spiritual Weapon and then starts bashing foes with Shillelagh and Booming Blade.
    Last edited by Yakmala; 2020-07-29 at 03:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    Tempest, hands down.
    Agreed, Tempest by far.

But the nice thing about Clerics is they're a well built class. I've seen players highly enjoy playing them all. Even the much maligned trickery clerics.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I have really enjoyed the Arcana Cleric tank build LudicSavant made, and have played it twice to mid, and then to high levels. It's just a ton of fun.

A few Clerics can be pretty reasonably in melee, and all of them have access Spirit Guardians and decent defenses, so it's not that they make being up close viable, it's more than stacking blade cantrips and Potent Cantrip on top of those normal strategies makes you both arguably better, and in my opinion a hell of a lot more fun.

The only real thing that sucks about it is that it doesn't work well with Shillelagh or a Str boosting magic item.
    Reality is relative, and there is an exception to every rule.

9. - Top - End - #9

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Nature, hands down.

It's a solid tank, it has an excellent blend of utility and combat, it promotes teammates.

It's THE cleric. When I see a Nature Cleric, I know that it's a player that is experienced and is planning on making sure everyone is having a good time.
    Yup, Nature for me as well. The last one I played wasn't super-optimised, (ie, wasn't a Hill Dwarf), but I still managed to be both tank and healer for a party of four squishies and myself. (My first ever tabletop game, though I had lots of D&D video game experience etc).

I'm playing a Heavy Armour Master Forge Cleric at the moment, very very tanky, and I love it, but I miss shillelagh, I miss spike growth, and so on...

That said, I've got an Order Cleric and a Trickery Cleric concept I want to play. If someone said 'you can only play one class ever again', it would be Cleric hands down.
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Light.

You got all the versatility of the cleric, extra defences you can share. Faery fire aka one of the best combat lvl1 spell. Aaaaand you can blast like a wizard if needed

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

The only one I have played was a 2 level multiclass into light for a moon Druid. However, my favorite from a flavour and playstyle is Arcana. I adore cantrips and the flexibility that they bring, and wizards get the most choices for that.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

12. - Top - End - #12

Order/knowledge. It's a toss up between those two. If tandem tactics sees print, order everyday all day.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Order/knowledge. It's a toss up between those two. If tandem tactics sees print, order everyday all day.
    Interesting, you would choose tandem tactics over Spiritual Weapon on a cleric?
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Interesting, you would choose tandem tactics over Spiritual Weapon on a cleric?
    Most of them time I would. SW is nice and all but giving someone advantage and then a reaction attack while casting bless is cheaper and more interactive with the rest of the party. If I end up drawing a ton of focus dodge+ SW is still there but dodge + TT is pretty effective and a hilarious image. I envision it as dodging attacks and calling out weak armor points or poor fighting techniques.
    Obviously at the party in question has a bunch of characters that can generate their own advantage then this wouldn't be as effective but it definitely getting addded to my glamour bard/order cleric sudo Warlord if it sees print.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

15. - Top - End - #15

Question for the fans of nature cleric: how do you feel about their domain spells? Heavy armor and a druid cantrip are nice, the level 6 absorb elements is great, but the CD and the spell list leave me underwhelmed. Spike growth and plant growth are the two spells I've seen cast, and the others just remind me of my frustrations with the druid spell list. Seriously, why is Grasping Vine concentration?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    Question for the fans of nature cleric: how do you feel about their domain spells? Heavy armor and a druid cantrip are nice, the level 6 absorb elements is great, but the CD and the spell list leave me underwhelmed. Spike growth and plant growth are the two spells I've seen cast, and the others just remind me of my frustrations with the druid spell list. Seriously, why is Grasping Vine concentration?
    Windwall is pretty dang useful. Impassible terrain for small creatures (which I'd say includes swarms), blocks all arrows and other projectiles, and does 3d8 damage on a failed save or halved on a save. It's 50(!) feet long and can make any shape that you want (that could be a 3x3 donut). For a level 3 spell, that's a lot of uses that anyone could leverage.

Speak with Animals is also really strong as a utility spell, and Barkskin isn't limited to casting on yourself.

But honestly, I don't think you really need a strong domain spell list. Clerics already have plenty of things to spend their spell slots and Concentration on without the need for Domain spells.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-07-29 at 10:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

17. - Top - End - #17

DwarfClericGuy

Travel domain.

Fun stuff like fly, teleport, etc. are great additions to the kit of a worldly cleric. And they allow a wandering preacher to take the word of his patron far and wide.

5e is great in that you can easily build domains to match your deity or the concept of your cleric.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Life has been a favorite of mine, but I've played so many different ones so it could just be because one of my favorite characters was a life cleric.

But while I'm here, quick question for all the cleric players here, what would y'alls opinion be on giving the war domain the extra attack feature instead of his regular damage buff at 8th level? I know it's more of a martial thing and it's still a full caster class, but something about the war domain just seems weaker to me then most other domains, maybe it's just me though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Tempest. I loved the concept of the Storm Lord prestige class from 3.5. I see bits of it folded in here.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by poolio View Post
    Life has been a favorite of mine, but I've played so many different ones so it could just be because one of my favorite characters was a life cleric.

But while I'm here, quick question for all the cleric players here, what would y'alls opinion be on giving the war domain the extra attack feature instead of his regular damage buff at 8th level? I know it's more of a martial thing and it's still a full caster class, but something about the war domain just seems weaker to me then most other domains, maybe it's just me though.
    I feel like giving them extra attack would be stepping on the toes of martials too much. They may be one of the weaker domains but they are still a full caster and don't really need a boost, especially one that treads directly into the territory of martial characters. I know Bladesingers and College of Swords already get extra attack, so there is precedent, I just don't think spellcasters need to have everything.

As for my pick I would have to say Tempest. I love the stormy flavor of the class and I love smashing fools in melee and blasting them to smithereens with lightning and thunder. It also doesn't hurt that they get destructive wave, one of my favorite blasting spells in the game. Light domain is up there too as I love the concept of a pyromancer for the church. I love the combination of fire and radiant, it has a nice "purge the wicked and unclean" feel too it and reminds me of the Silver Pyromancer from Eberron. Another runner up would have to be the Nature domain as I love nature themed characters and magic in general and they also get access to shillelagh which I have an unreasonable amount of love for.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

I love playing a cleric of Trickery.
    That Domain spell list is great.
    I've caused so much chaos in humanoid strongholds through the use of Disguise Self and Guidance bonus to the CHA:Deception rolls.

I can deceive most foes at least as long enough for the group to get the drop on them. Well that is the plan at least😉

Elven Accuracy and Invoke Duplicity is an excellent combo.
    Super Advantage on Spiritual Weapon and Inflict Wounds attacks is extremely satisfying.

When relying on spells, it quite possible to create confusion regarding which is the "Perfect Illusion" and which is You.
    When in doubt, Mirror Image it out.

An at will ability to bestow Advantage to an ally's Stealth rolls is really useful. I give it to the Wizard's Familiar when it scouts. I give Advantage to Stealth checks to the Rogue before combat. I give it to the heavy armor wearing Fighter before sneaking....it is great!

Sprinkle in the Dragonmark of Shadow for a 1/day Invisibility cast, and Minor Illusion cantrip and get ready for some fun.
    Last edited by Satori01; 2020-08-01 at 04:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Order

As stated, the ability to buff your big hitters and give them an extra attack is awesome. But I also really like the bonus action enchants.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

My favorite Domain?

If someone is a newer player, I recommend Grave the most. Not to try to relegate them to a Healer / Support role, no. But because they have so much that any party can appreciate, so the player can consistently get a feeling of accomplishment and always feel like they're contributing. Its an excellent Domain to get a newer player to fully understand how much party dynamics can play off one another. Bonus healing when someone's at 0HP, can negate Crits, a solid spell list, the ability to invoke Vulnerability. "Hey Paladin, I'm going to use my Channel Divinity, rain down that third level Smite!" and then they high five over the damage dealt.

My favorite to play?
    I lean toward Light. A really good overall mix of options. Excellent spell list. Some defensive stuff with Warding Flare, plus the channel divinity to blast to help stretch your spell slots.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like the forge domain.
    A solid tank, can also buff party members.

With some DMs can actually craft stuff(after all 5e have ****y rules for crafting and if I remember correctly it is like that because they don't want PCs crafting stuff).

25. - Top - End - #25

Overall: Arcana cleric, Blade cantrips with extra WIS damage + Spirit Guardians/SW combo + WarCaster make him very fun to play front line Cleric and it's really fun. If you play Eberron - adding Counterspell + Bigby Hand to him via Dragonmark makes him really scary force. The downside is that you need to take Magic Initiate: Druid to fully make him work or dip 1 level of Druid, but it's still great.

As tank I like Life the most. His 1st level feature is awesome, heavy armor + other cleric goodies.

I also like Forge but only for campaigns to level 10 max as later magic items diminish his features. He can also get crazy High AC with Warforged + Defense Style from some dip + Blessing of the Forge + Soul of Forge and heavy armor. Perfect to be really tanky in Tier 1 and Tier 2 gameplay.

I liked the idea of Tempest but lacking spells like Lighting, Storm Sphere or Booming Blade really puts me back from enjoying him. He should have access to all best Lighting spells to really feel like Storm Cleric. Call Lighting is ok spell but useless is so many situations...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nature. Cleric base with druid candy shell.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Knowledge

I prefer the support/skill/social aspect of clerics.

having expertise in arcana (and another campaign specific) is great, and the skill monkey cd comes in handy.

the level 6 cd (read thoughts) is also very powerful. having the ability to use suggestion (via read thoughts) twice a short rest is a lot of fun and very useful.

as for combat, I find the standard array of spiritual weapon, spirit guardians and sacred flame is solid, and combined with some skeletons (animate dead) and perhaps a body guard (via suggestion) is very strong.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Nature, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post
    Yup, Nature for me as well. The last one I played wasn't super-optimised, (ie, wasn't a Hill Dwarf), but I still managed to be both tank and healer for a party of four squishies and myself.
    Can someone post a build on this? Mostly I've seen "base cleric + shillelagh" as the build for this, which makes me confused why anyone would take it over Arcana, War, or Light.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    Can someone post a build on this? Mostly I've seen "base cleric + shillelagh" as the build for this, which makes me confused why anyone would take it over Arcana, War, or Light.
    For me, it's all about plant growth and thorn whip.

Plant growth is a non concentration control spell that wreaks havoc on large creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Tempest is awesome. The extra features basically turn it into a lightning/thunder paladin, which works really well in addition to just being cool

Any cleric is extremely useful though. Having access to their whole spell list when choosing spells for the day and being capable melee fighters makes them incredibly versatile.