New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: What's your favorite cleric domain and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Druids are almost explicitly spellcasters, and most Moon Druid players I've seen are the kind to hog the spotlight.
    no more so than rogue/bard face or barbarian.

Clerics get heavy armor, full casting, great subclass features, their choice of spells each day, etc. They're balanced by the fact that it's incredibly hard to make them selfish, as most of their spells and abilities encourage others to succeed instead. Most other classes don't have that same limitation, and as a result those same classes don't get nearly as much. Compare the Draconic Sorcerer vs. Any Cleric, list out their features, HP, AC, proficiencies, etc. and see who comes out ahead.
    spiritual weapon, gaurdian, bonus damage, armor, martial weapons don't necessarily help others exceed but is common combat play...

The Nature Cleric, as a chassis, is the quintessential Cleric. Not necessarily for the Nature theme, but that its whole identity is "Do more, but help the team Do Better". It is not isolated to a single mechanic (like Life, Grave, Knowledge Clerics are), but instead provides a little bit of everything that allows the Nature Cleric to fit any needed role for the party (besides being selfish/damage dealer).
    giving allies resistance and good non-offense spell choices pushes this subclass high for me..
    Last edited by NaughtyTiger; 2020-08-03 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Just, please don't. Insisting on that technicality improves nothing.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fynzmirs View Post
    Love domain. Seriously, we need a cleric subclass that specializes in charms. Clerics of Aphrodite, Ishtar, Freyja and Freyr need some love (heh).
    Order with a flavor change works pretty well for that.

Order also works beautifully with glamor bard. Great Disney Princess support flavor.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm throwing a vote for Trickery Cleric. Another player in a current game is using it really well to help make the whole party function in a more effective (stealthy) way.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I like forge for the free magic armor/ weapon or life cause it is a go to healer

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Hard to pick just one.
    My Tempest cleric allowed me to do a lot of stuff. Also, fog cloud domain spell ... and I love that spell ..

Life: in certain parties, my vhuman life cleric druid magic initiate keeps them alive.

Knowledge: I was late to the show on this one. Ran for about two levels, early tier 2. We had no rogue, no bard, and we discovered that our skill monkey was out cleric. Neat.

Arcana; started one, game died. Not sure how I'd have liked it any better.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #66

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    They tried that for less than a day in UA. It was leaked, and people were strongly opposed to the idea of Love being so closely linked with the spell list, which was very focused on Charm and Domination effects. Kinda gives a... non-consensual vibe. So they redid it to be the Unity Domain, which.... Really everyone forgot about.
    I actually really like the Unity Domain, but I think it should've still been called the Love domain. There are many types of love; platonic, familial, romantic, communal. I think the new theming of the Unity Domain with the old name would've been 100% fine. I also really really like the Unity Domain's mechanics. Emboldening Bond is insanely good and the fact it stacks with bless makes it extremely good for supporting your allies.

I think the focus on charms and non-consensual enchantments should be pretty divorced from the Love domain; that feels more like it would fall under Trickery.
    Last edited by Trustypeaches; 2020-08-04 at 03:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Nature, Light and Tempest are my favourite Domains.
    Nature with the Druidic cantrip (I prefer thorn whip to drag enemies closer to my spirit guardians) and the dampen elements feature is quite good. I guess the channel divinity isn’t as grand in high level play but I’ve only ever played a Forge Domain Cleric in a one shot at level 17.

Light Domain. Who needs a weapon, some great blasting ability here.

Tempest has always been a favourite. I love the features, though I do wish they got lightning bolt or chain lightning as Domain spells.
    CENTER]

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

They're all good for their own reasons but I'm going to say I had fun recently with the Light cleric concept recently. As a DM I had my players attacking a small stronghold of a knightly order defended by a paladin, some basic warriors, and two clerics. Everyone expected a straight-up swordfight and clustered up but then they were hit by a fireball.

In general from a world-building POV the idea of light clerics sometimes taking up blasting/"artillery" roles in factions without wizards is an intriguing concept to me: in this case the order of knights having armed-and-armored clerics that can throw fire spells. But also a church that denounces "black magic and witches" but wields divine fire magic which is totally different because praise the sun god. Or the old fashioned view of Dwarves being unable to be wizards but having light clerics that can blast.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I find clerics and druids to be the hardest classes to really get into.

I do not mind playing a support guy, I love playing a bard and things, but with things like wizard or even warlock I feel like I am just waiting for opportunities to cast all these cool spells, but cleric and druid is more of just a feeling of well I can throw that I guess.

I really did like playing an Arcana Cleric who took magic initiate druid.

I was captain cantrip. I was like the Swiss army caster.

10. - Top - End - #70

RedWizardGuy

grave tied with death.

Grave domain is somehow better at healing then life and has a hint of necromancy witch has always been my favored school.

death domain is just a great alt to being a necromancer wizard.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Misterwhisper View Post
    I find clerics and druids to be the hardest classes to really get into.

I do not mind playing a support guy, I love playing a bard and things, but with things like wizard or even warlock I feel like I am just waiting for opportunities to cast all these cool spells, but cleric and druid is more of just a feeling of well I can throw that I guess.

I really did like playing an Arcana Cleric who took magic initiate druid.

I was captain cantrip. I was like the Swiss army caster.
    I feel you on this.

I am on the record as saying the Cleric is the best designed class in the game. All Domains get such a litany of features, especially 1-10 (including Domain spells) which do such a great job as giving each Domain its own identity, and makes them feel different from other classes. It grants that individual identity better than any other class in the game, in my opinion.

The downside of that is that for many Domains, its fairly a nuanced identity. Tempest Cleric? You make things blow up with thunder and lightning arguably better than anything else. And that's sweet! But outside combat, what're you up to? Knowledge Cleric! Pretty darn good at what you do, but are you more knowledgeable than the Bard or Rogue? Light Domain! You are certainly a capable blaster, and thematic at that, but...

Really its a list of Domains tacked on to a chassis. And that's OK. That's what 5E is, subclasses on to a main class. They're all unique. But perhaps because the Domains are all so thematic that its also fairly difficult to take it in weird, creative, different directions. Its almost too defined in a sense.

That, coupled with a largely support oriented vanilla spell list (Control for Druid) means that you're quite limited in scope for what you can do. You're pretty darn great at it, but it is a limited scope both in terms of ability and theme.

12. - Top - End - #72

Lizardfolk

I also really like the nature domain the flavour is nice.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

13. - Top - End - #73

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    I like unity, great for playing a commie dwarf
    Played a pair of commie dwarves with a friend. Some good fun.

However, I'm going to have to throw in my lot with trickery. Sure it's not the most powerful but I think that spell list frequently gets overlooked and it's fun.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Satori01 View Post
    I love playing a cleric of Trickery.
    That Domain spell list is great.
    I've caused so much chaos in humanoid strongholds through the use of Disguise Self and Guidance bonus to the CHA:Deception rolls.

I can deceive most foes at least as long enough for the group to get the drop on them. Well that is the plan at least😉

Elven Accuracy and Invoke Duplicity is an excellent combo.
    Super Advantage on Spiritual Weapon and Inflict Wounds attacks is extremely satisfying.

When relying on spells, it quite possible to create confusion regarding which is the "Perfect Illusion" and which is You.
    When in doubt, Mirror Image it out.

An at will ability to bestow Advantage to an ally's Stealth rolls is really useful. I give it to the Wizard's Familiar when it scouts. I give Advantage to Stealth checks to the Rogue before combat. I give it to the heavy armor wearing Fighter before sneaking....it is great!

Sprinkle in the Dragonmark of Shadow for a 1/day Invisibility cast, and Minor Illusion cantrip and get ready for some fun.
    Yes yes yes. I really love playing a Vhuman with Actor feat at lvl 1. So much more fun than the other clerics I've played.

15. - Top - End - #75

PaladinGuy

For me, Life cleric is the quintessential D&D cleric. Although I'm a little unclear as to why they get heavy armor. War and Forge I can see, but Life?
    I'm thinking they could make do with medium armor and a little more power over undead.

Otherwise, I really like Light clerics. Healing and blasting; what's not to love? Warding Flare is a great last-second defense; and Radiance of the Dawn is just sweet.

16. - Top - End - #76

Devil

I like the Light domain the best. Awesome blasting spells and a great ally-friendly AoE blast of one of the best damage types in the game.
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paladinn View Post
    For me, Life cleric is the quintessential D&D cleric. Although I'm a little unclear as to why they get heavy armor. War and Forge I can see, but Life?
    Makes the healing role more interactive. Now they can afford to be a front-line soaker, but also have features that heal themselves when they heal allies. This makes things a lot less 1-dimensional than "Wait for ally to hit ~50% HP, heal them with Healing Word" every turn.

Tying a lot of power to a self-heal also prevents undeserved benefits. It's still powerful, but now you actually gotta risk a little bit to perform at maximum efficiency. Otherwise it's a glorified healbot. The mechanical equivalent of a ranged attacker that only gets to attack and use his features when the target's at ~50% HP.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-08-07 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

18. - Top - End - #78

DwarfClericGuy

This makes things a lot less 1-dimensional than "Wait for ally to hit ~50% HP, heal them with Healing Word" every turn.
    In my experience, you wait till the ally hits 0 HP, then start spamming Healing Word.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by NaughtyTiger View Post
    no more so than rogue/bard face or barbarian.
    Well moon druids have weird scaling. Their wildshape starts of ludicrously powerful at low levels (especially with a not very optimized party) and then peters out later on.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by paladinn View Post
    For me, Life cleric is the quintessential D&D cleric. Although I'm a little unclear as to why they get heavy armor.
    I think it is because the original cleric was allowed heavy armor/plate armor in Original D&D, 1974 ish, which took its 'cleric' cue from the Crusades/Warrior Monks as well as the various medieval bishops who donned armor and headed for the battlefield.

I do agree with your idea on the life cleric having a bit more of an edge versus undead conceptually.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-08-11 at 02:28 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society