New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite cleric domain and why?

For me, it's a toss-up between Forge, Life, and Order.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    Can someone post a build on this? Mostly I've seen "base cleric + shillelagh" as the build for this, which makes me confused why anyone would take it over Arcana, War, or Light.
    I'm also curious about this. The only real advantage I can see if that you'll effectively have +1-+2 to hit and damage over the competition, and then you could take Sentinel to have a solid OAs... but I'm not feeling the unlimited power here, ya know?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    For me, it's a toss-up between Forge, Life, and Order.

I'm also curious about this. The only real advantage I can see if that you'll effectively have +1-+2 to hit and damage over the competition, and then you could take Sentinel to have a solid OAs... but I'm not feeling the unlimited power here, ya know?
    The lv6 feature of granting resistance to elemental damage, while limited to one ally per instance, is quite underrated. Its against all instances of that damage, as opposed to the Ancients Paladin, which only covers 10ft and only works against spells.

Nature can give you Resistance to a red dragons breath attack from 30ft away, while the Paladin cannot.

A key aspect in regards to tanking isn't necessarily how much take you take, it can also encompass how much damage you prevent your allies from taking. This is something I learned recently myself. (Thank you again, Man_Over_Game)
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2020-08-01 at 12:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

VHuman PAM (quarterstaff Shillelagh) seems good too. BA attacks whenever you're not casting keeps your weapon attacks relevant and gives a second chance to trigger Divine Strike, and the "free" OA isn't bad (although it can't trigger DS since it's not on your turn). That build is less likely to use slots on Spiritual Weapon, for better or worse.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I really enjoy cleric dips for many of the reasons mentioned here. I love the Life dip for druids to get overpowered Goodberries. I dipped Arcana for my wizard’s survivability and so many cantrips.

But the most levels of cleric I have taken are Ranger 5 / War Cleric X. I love the ability to fire off three longbow attacks in a round (yeah I know dex fighter) and if the fight goes more then five rounds I can just bust out the spiritual weapon.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Love domain. Seriously, we need a cleric subclass that specializes in charms. Clerics of Aphrodite, Ishtar, Freyja and Freyr need some love (heh).
    Last edited by Fynzmirs; 2020-08-01 at 02:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

I recall a Water Domain I really liked, but now I can't find it and I'm wondering if I imagined it. Though it was a UA thing...
    Last edited by Luccan; 2020-08-01 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fynzmirs View Post
    Love domain. Seriously, we need a cleric subclass that specializes in charms. Clerics of Aphrodite, Ishtar, Freyja and Freyr need some love (heh).
    They tried that for less than a day in UA. It was leaked, and people were strongly opposed to the idea of Love being so closely linked with the spell list, which was very focused on Charm and Domination effects. Kinda gives a... non-consensual vibe. So they redid it to be the Unity Domain, which.... Really everyone forgot about.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I recall a Water Domain I really liked, but now I can't find it and I'm wondering if I imagined it. Though it was a UA thing...
    I wrote one awhile back that I listen on here as homebrew, but it likely wasn't that.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1A6E...w?usp=drivesdk
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Arcana: Hard to argue with such versatility.

Forge: might as well call it Dwarf Domain

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I wrote one awhile back that I listen on here as homebrew, but it likely wasn't that.
    For what it's worth, I like the looks of your Water domain. But apparently my cleric of Eldath just took the Nature domain.

Which of the first party stuff is my favorite
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Lizardfolk

Depends on the role I'm playing. Clerics are nearly as adaptable as Wizards and Warlocks with the roles they can fill. For example:

Rogue abilities: Twilight/Trickery Domains
    Tanking: Life/Unity domains
    Support based: Grave/Forge Domains
    RP based: Knowledge Domain
    Blaster: Light/Arcana Domains
    Minionmancy: Death Domain

Whoever decided Clerics were made to be Healbots has obviously never explored the 5e Cleric and the absolute powerhouses that it is.
    "I may be a Hobgoblin, but the real mythical creature I'm playing is an Ethical Billionaire"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Thanks for the link, I really like your take on a Water domain cleric. I like seeing some of the domains from previous editions that have not made the jump to 5e get some love.

13. - Top - End - #43

Lizardfolk

Ok so tempest, 100%, I’ve always wanted to play a cleric of the devourer, divine wrath cleric in Eberron, I love the abilities. Close second is death cleric. Had a tiefling cleric to Anubis which was fun.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The Light Domain -- it is a powerful offensive caster cleric.

At low levels, radiance of the dawn is extremely powerful, faerie fire is great for support and warding flare makes you hard to hit. Once you hit Tier 2, a cleric with both spirit guardians and fireball is dangerous up close or at range.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    For what it's worth, I like the looks of your Water domain. But apparently my cleric of Eldath just took the Nature domain.

Which of the first party stuff is my favorite
    Thanks :) it was a long shot, but I figured there was a chance since it was posted in the homebrew forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Snownine View Post
    Thanks for the link, I really like your take on a Water domain cleric. I like seeing some of the domains from previous editions that have not made the jump to 5e get some love.
    I've got a 3 or 4 that I made for a druid that I was putting levels into cleric. It was a converted PF campaign, so they were subdomains of nature. Feel free to check out and use anything I've created (Although if you do, I would love to hear feedback on how it plays for you, good or bad)
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

16. - Top - End - #46
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I've only played Light so far, but it's been a blast. Having Scorching Ray and Fireball prepped "for free" means I have an answer for non-fire-immune bosses and groups. Scrying (on top of Commune) makes me a great information gatherer.
    I started at level 12ish (am currently 17) so Radiance of the Dawn hasn't been great, but Toll the Dead/Sacred Flame with Potent Cantrip gives me ok at-will damage.
    All that, plus the support of a full Cleric. Makes for an excellent switch hitter and a very fun and dynamic character to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    I've only played Light so far, but it's been a blast.
    I see what you did there... :)

18. - Top - End - #48

MindFlayer

Re: Nature Cleric

For me, it's not about the power, it's just about the feel. I mean, a Dwarf Nature Cleric can dump strength because they're not slowed by armour, which means they can focus on wisdom and constitution. Being SAD is good. But Nature Clerics aren't super-busted strong. I just like how they play.

The resistance reaction at level 6 is great. Either for yourself, because you're probably not making the dex save against that fireball or for your teammate. Bonus attack damage in your choice of flavour at level 8 is not to be sniffed at.

The party I played one in didn't have a druid or a ranger, so speak with animals came in handy for gathering info. Spike growth and the warlock's repelling blast to push baddies back into spikes was a fun combo. Clerics don't have a huge amount of AOE, so wind wall is a nice addition to the repertoire. Plant growth is crowd control in a huge area without concentration. The charm animals channel divinity got us out of combat a couple of times.

It's a fairly easy roleplaying hook as well – seeking out green spaces, feeling uncomfortable in big cities, befriending the pack horses, and so on, and so on. I like the slightly different feel from a druid's 'I can control nature because I'm so in tune with it' to 'I can control nature because god says I can'.

What I like in D&D is having options, and filling gaps that the team needs. And I found a Nature Cleric really let me do that. (But, as is established, I love Clerics the best regardless.)
    Apparently, I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level): Strength 13; Dexterity 14; Constitution 12; Intelligence 17; Wisdom 16; Charisma 13. I'm down with that.

My Paper Master build: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72568

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    They tried that for less than a day in UA. It was leaked, and people were strongly opposed to the idea of Love being so closely linked with the spell list, which was very focused on Charm and Domination effects. Kinda gives a... non-consensual vibe. So they redid it to be the Unity Domain, which.... Really everyone forgot about.
    Yup, I was refering to that domain. IMO the whole affair was an overreaction. I can't imagine a cleric of Eros who is being granted magical powers but doesn't use any enchantment magic.

20. - Top - End - #50

For lower level campaigns (or for newer players), I like War. They just have such an easy run of it up to lvl6, and can contribute plenty after then anyway. The wis-mod bonus action attacks keep you relevant at lvls1-3 (when you don't have the slots to be using SW as much), the divinity is one of the most reliable things in the game (especially at lvl6), and their lvl2/3 domain spells just frees up stuff so you can have a broad range of cleric'y things prepared for many situations. You also get Hold Monster later on, which just keeps you boosting party damage all campaign long.

It's really good for a newer player to the game or class. You kind of can't "not cleric properly" as a War cleric. You get the armour to be safe enough, just enough attacks (w/ +to-hit every once in a while) to feel like you're not "caster weak" in the first few levels, a simple but sometimes encounter changing divinity at 6th, and SW/SG is hard-baked into the subclass so you don't have to gently steer a new player into "maybe ask your god for non-suck spells today?". Plus plenty of spell prep left over so they can do whatever sort of cleric'ing they'd like to do while not sucking.

Still feels like you're doing heaps in the right party, way into the later game as well. +10 to-hit never goes out of style. With your divine strike mostly coming off a magic weapon by 8th, it's of the most relevant damage type in nearly any campaign as well. You could even be a really bad archer if you wanted to.

Can be a little annoying to the DM as well (kinda like the Lucky feat or Bards in general). They have to pause and look at you in a "so, did it hit?" kind of way. SSers, GWMers, Moon druids, non-crit-fisher smiters, all love you to pieces, so you really feel like one of the party :)

Also, at early levels, it "autos" stuff like Guiding Bolt, so rogue-stabs and stuff like that can definitely happen. There's not many teams that you're not welcome in, and you always pull your weight.

(I know people think the +wis-mod bonus action attacks is weak. But it saves you casting SW 1-2 times a day. So I just look at it as saving a lvl2 spell slot, once-twice a day. The War god's Arcane Recovery. Just punch them in the face instead. Works great with Hold Person.)
    Last edited by sambojin; 2020-08-02 at 08:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

PirateGuy

Guess I'm kinda an outlier here, but my favorite is War. At low levels, getting that extra attack, even just a few times a day, makes you feel awesome in melee. And then you get the ability to just add massive bonuses to attacks, which just feels good. And it can work with spells (such as guiding bolt at low level), which really helps you avoid wasting a spell in a crucial situation. Getting the ability to do this for a friend later is also amazing. And while the spell list is not necessarily the greatest thing ever, it includes a few crucial spells that you would always have prepared 100% of the time anyways. Its not necessarily a top tier domain, but everything about it just fits together so well.

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    I like unity, great for playing a commie dwarf

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fynzmirs View Post
    Yup, I was refering to that domain. IMO the whole affair was an overreaction. I can't imagine a cleric of Eros who is being granted magical powers but doesn't use any enchantment magic.
    I dunno. My first impression was that "Love" Domain was really the preserve of Evil clerics.

Now I am ok with evil themed domains - cool part of D&D, but I can see why WotC might be cautious about such a domain being called "Love".

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    I dunno. My first impression was that "Love" Domain was really the preserve of Evil clerics.

Now I am ok with evil themed domains - cool part of D&D, but I can see why WotC might be cautious about such a domain being called "Love".
    Charm probably would've worked fine, at least for the spell list. That doesn't have to be vindictive, but still allows for a certain level of magical influence. In fact I'm pretty sure there was a Charm domain in 3.5
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

25. - Top - End - #55

PaladinGuy

Curious.. in 3e, a cleric could select 2 of his/her deity's domains. In 5e, I'd imagine that s/he would need to pick one power from each domain to achieve the same effect.

Has anyone attempted to split a cleric's domain abilities among 2 domains? How did it work out?

26. - Top - End - #56

Other favorite has to be an Arcana Cleric. More cantrips, more things to turn, occasional free dispel magic, and a truly amazing capstone.

Works a lot better with dipping. But gives you the flexibility to solo-class it and feel fine anyway.

The target-type range for turning is big enough that it should come up at least a couple of times in any campaign (often once-twice a day), the cantrips make you wonderfully versatile on how you see your character functioning, and if it's a high level campaign, Wish and some lower level arcane spells is amazing to have as a cleric (where you get 17-100% "off books, got done by a god" Wish as well).

There's just a lot of options and stuff to go on with the domain. Not War-easy-powerful, but there's lots to play with. Good to dip into, good to dip out of, more builder'y, but not OP for all that (until lvl17, which you probably won't get to, but feel great if you ever do).
    Last edited by sambojin; 2020-08-02 at 08:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRocks View Post
    Re: Nature Cleric

For me, it's not about the power, it's just about the feel. I mean, a Dwarf Nature Cleric can dump strength because they're not slowed by armour, which means they can focus on wisdom and constitution. Being SAD is good. But Nature Clerics aren't super-busted strong. I just like how they play.

The resistance reaction at level 6 is great. Either for yourself, because you're probably not making the dex save against that fireball or for your teammate. Bonus attack damage in your choice of flavour at level 8 is not to be sniffed at.

The party I played one in didn't have a druid or a ranger, so speak with animals came in handy for gathering info. Spike growth and the warlock's repelling blast to push baddies back into spikes was a fun combo. Clerics don't have a huge amount of AOE, so wind wall is a nice addition to the repertoire. Plant growth is crowd control in a huge area without concentration. The charm animals channel divinity got us out of combat a couple of times.

It's a fairly easy roleplaying hook as well – seeking out green spaces, feeling uncomfortable in big cities, befriending the pack horses, and so on, and so on. I like the slightly different feel from a druid's 'I can control nature because I'm so in tune with it' to 'I can control nature because god says I can'.

What I like in D&D is having options, and filling gaps that the team needs. And I found a Nature Cleric really let me do that. (But, as is established, I love Clerics the best regardless.)
    Wouldn't it be easier to just play a Druid character, at that point?

28. - Top - End - #58

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by follacchioso View Post
    (Not the one to whom you're replying.)

You can get a very different play experience from a Cleric. No armor restriction, no Wild Shape, more useful non-Concentration spells.

For example, I've tried several times to build a Shillelagh/Polearm Master Druid, and I'm always disappointed: very few cantrips to work with, no appealing armor in a default setting, no synergy with printed circles (except Spores, which is so close that it makes it even more frustrating).

By contrast, Nature Cleric can do the normal tanky thing with unrestricted armor and Shillelagh from 1st level (even with PAM as variant human). With PAM, it feels *almost* like War Domain without the Wisdom mod restriction.

You don't get the signature Druid things (wild shape, conjure animals, entangle), but not all characters need them.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

War.

I love multiclassing, and War is the first class I've seen to give a whole bunch of abilities to people who already have extra attack, without wasting any class ability resoures on giving ITSELF extra attack. A ranger 5/war cleric 15 is a fantastic to-twenty build even with the default ranger's problems, and once you have five levels of any extra attack class, any number of war cleric levels are just gravy. (The fact that war cleric abilities also help out ranged attacks make the "ranger cleric archer" downright terrifying.)

30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by follacchioso View Post
    Druids are almost explicitly spellcasters, and most Moon Druid players I've seen are the kind to hog the spotlight.

Clerics get heavy armor, full casting, great subclass features, their choice of spells each day, etc. They're balanced by the fact that it's incredibly hard to make them selfish, as most of their spells and abilities encourage others to succeed instead. Most other classes don't have that same limitation, and as a result those same classes don't get nearly as much. Compare the Draconic Sorcerer vs. Any Cleric, list out their features, HP, AC, proficiencies, etc. and see who comes out ahead.

The Nature Cleric, as a chassis, is the quintessential Cleric. Not necessarily for the Nature theme, but that its whole identity is "Do more, but help the team Do Better". It is not isolated to a single mechanic (like Life, Grave, Knowledge Clerics are), but instead provides a little bit of everything that allows the Nature Cleric to fit any needed role for the party (besides being selfish/damage dealer).

I actually think it's a real shame that it's tied to the Nature theme, as most people see that, and how redundant the theme is with the Druid, instead of seeing one of the best Cleric subclasses in the game mechanically. Similarly how people assume "Cavalier" is "Guy who uses a horse" instead of "Vengeance Fighter Tank".

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    Can someone post a build on this? Mostly I've seen "base cleric + shillelagh" as the build for this, which makes me confused why anyone would take it over Arcana, War, or Light.
    It's not about the damage. You're not going to be judged by how much damage you're dealing with a weapon, you're going to be judged for the things the rest of the party can't do, like wear heavy armor, take a hit, or get information from animals. Channel Divinity affects a 30ft radius on all creatures that can see you, to have them be Charmed, and Speak With Animals allows you to request favors as long as the DM signs off on it. Combining both means you now have a small horde of informants and scouts, treasure hunters and distractions. Not even a Druid can get the same for a level 1 spell slot and a Short Rest feature. Just realize how often you could do that.

In combat, you're a meatstick with armor and Cleric spells, not quite as MAD as an Arcane or War Cleric. Do you need anything else?
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-08-03 at 01:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!