New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default New Eberron Book Today

Exploring Eberron, authored by the man himself, Keith Baker, released today on the DMs Guild. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/315...loring-Eberron

Now, I know what many are thinking right away:

"Oh... DMs Guild.... So not a REAL book."

And your thought process does have some merit, I'll grant you that, for sure.

However, who knows Eberron better than Keith himself? And he was a designer for WOTC for years, and worked alongside the design team for Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron as well as Eberron: Rising From The Last War.

As far as "is this content up to snuff?", you're not going to get any closer to being a "real" book than this. Heck, I'd certainly say this is closer to a "real" book than Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, but that's just my personal opinion.

From the description:

You'll discover new archetypes for the artificer, cleric, druid, monk, and bard. Play unique Eberron races and subraces including gnolls, Dhakaani goblinoids, aasimar of diverse faiths, and ruinbound dwarves. Uncover a wealth of magic items from around the world, wield symbionts that bond with your very flesh, channel your dragonmark with focus items—and perhaps even manifest a Siberys dragonmark of immense power.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: New Eberron Book Today

I'm planning to pick it up, though it'll be hardcover assuming the price is reasonable.

D&D Beyond did an interview with Keith this week as well where they go through some of the mechanical options in depth.

I really love Eberron as a setting so I'm hyped to get more fluff. The main feature seems to be a deep exploration of the planes - at least, that's what Keith mostly talks about when asked. But I think we're getting more on Droaam and other mostly-underdeveloped locales in the setting too.

He did mention a few things that aren't there - not much about the Demon Wastes, Eldeen Reaches, Shadow Marches, no new psionics mechanics (although the Cleric is getting a Mind domain which is psionically flavored and offers the ability to swap Radiant damage to Psychic damage).
    Last edited by Evaar; 2020-07-30 at 12:47 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Dirge Singer - Bard
    Mind Domain - Cleric
    Way of the Living Weapon - Monk
    Circle of the Forged - Druid
    Maverick - Artificer
    Forge Adept - Artificer

Those are the player subclasses. I'm super excited to see those.

Along with new races, new Aasimar options, new magic items and Artificer Infusions, I'm quite intrigued.

My ONLY concern is this:

I use D&D Beyond. My DM is across the country, he shares my account. I am really hopeful this book gets put on Beyond, for ease of use with the character builder and such, I really don't want to have to code it all in myself. So do I buy it from DMs Guild and go that route, or hope against hope that it'll be put into Beyond?

4. - Top - End - #4

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    So do I buy it from DMs Guild and go that route, or hope against hope that it'll be put into Beyond?
    Not likely. Content from DMsGuild doesn't show up on D&D Beyond unless you're Matt Mercer.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Connington View Post
    Not likely. Content from DMsGuild doesn't show up on D&D Beyond unless you're Matt Mercer.
    Before about three weeks ago? I agreed.

Maybe a month ago, during a Development Update with Beyond (A youtube series where they kinda roadmap what they're working on), they updated something:

They now have D&D Core Content, Non-Core Content, and Partnered Content. That's aside from Critical Role content, and Unearthed Arcana.

Partnered Content was the Runeterra crossover content with the League of Legends stuff, which was free but is leaving completely in August (and honestly its pretty broken, sorry).
    Non-Core is interesting, they didn't elaborate too much. I think that might be something like the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount book which is... I mean its an official book, but also kinda not in many aspects.

I'm hopeful that this book will go into Non-Core or Partnered. Because honestly, if it doesn't, its such a damn waste of an opportunity. It really is.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

The DM of None podcast just put out a very interesting interview with Keith Baker about the book, seems like it goes into a lot of the "deeper" lore about Eberron that's been left out of previous WotC-published books due to space/length.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sam113097 View Post
    The DM of None podcast just put out a very interesting interview with Keith Baker about the book, seems like it goes into a lot of the "deeper" lore about Eberron that's been left out of previous WotC-published books due to space/length.
    They also did a Todd Talks on the Beyond YT channel as well.

8. - Top - End - #8

Dirge Singer - Bard
    Mind Domain - Cleric
    Way of the Living Weapon - Monk
    Circle of the Forged - Druid
    Maverick - Artificer
    Forge Adept - Artificer

Those are the player subclasses. I'm super excited to see those.

Along with new races, new Aasimar options, new magic items and Artificer Infusions, I'm quite intrigued.
    Oho! First an Eloquence Bard and now a Dirge Singer Bard, "Living Weapon" Monk, and 2 Artificers, + new infusions? We're getting all kinds of goodies this year.

... I wonder if we'll get any new worthwhile items thanks to Baldur's Gate 3? Especially for the Monk

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

So Keith Baker just confirmed the content will not be on Beyond.

Such a wasted opportunity. Truly.

10. - Top - End - #10

Great, thanks jaapleton! I've been looking forward to this release but hadn't previously been able to locate a release date.

Exploring Eberron, authored by the man himself, Keith Baker, released today on the DMs Guild. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/315...loring-Eberron

Now, I know what many are thinking right away:

"Oh... DMs Guild.... So not a REAL book."

And your thought process does have some merit, I'll grant you that, for sure.

However, who knows Eberron better than Keith himself? And he was a designer for WOTC for years, and worked alongside the design team for Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron as well as Eberron: Rising From The Last War.

As far as "is this content up to snuff?", you're not going to get any closer to being a "real" book than this. Heck, I'd certainly say this is closer to a "real" book than Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, but that's just my personal opinion.

From the description:

You'll discover new archetypes for the artificer, cleric, druid, monk, and bard. Play unique Eberron races and subraces including gnolls, Dhakaani goblinoids, aasimar of diverse faiths, and ruinbound dwarves. Uncover a wealth of magic items from around the world, wield symbionts that bond with your very flesh, channel your dragonmark with focus items—and perhaps even manifest a Siberys dragonmark of immense power.
    I was really impressed with Rising From the Last War: it's probably the best book WotC has released for 5E, not just in terms of being an interesting setting which supports lots of freedom for PCs but even little things like layout, and being smart enough for once to actually put the Artificer spell list right in the Artificer class description.

The one thing I'm not a fan of in Keith's approach is his insistence that fluff ("story") is distinct from mechanics and can be reflavored freely. It bugs me for example that Artificer spells still require verbal and somatic components, and when Keith advocates representing a telekinetic shield for a psionic Riedran as Barbarian rage and just ignoring the "angry" fluff, I'm like... "but then when is attacking or taking damage still necessary? Rage is very clearly about angry, not telekinesis." IMO refluffing without changing mechanics is lazy... but that doesn't change the excellence of the worldbuilding, it just means that I may need to retweak some of his suggestions to make them more mechanically appropriate, and that's the easy part. Fortunately I still own the Complete Psionics Handbook so of course if I want a psionic Riedra I can always just make one using AD&D rules (converting power checks to 3d6 rolls instead of d20 to emphasize the importance of modifiers).

One of the really awesome things about good settings books like Rising From the Last War, which describes a world while still leaving plenty of DM-dependent mystery in it, is that you can actually encourage players to read and refer to the books, to immerse themselves in the world and learn the things that are common knowledge to their characters. It's sort of like playing in the same setting as a popular fiction series (Dresden Files): you show the players something which makes them realize that they're mixed up in something in which [big player, e.g. Lord of Blades, or the Genoskwa] is involved, and you can expect an emotional reaction as well even if it's the first time you personally have mentioned this big player at the game table, because the players already know and care about the lore. It's nice if you want a complex world with lots of actors.

Spoiler: Peace Talks spoiler
    Show
    I still can't believe the Genoskwa actually survived the ice blocks. I have no idea how, but at least now we know why no coin popped out of the mangled wreckage... it was still alive. That dude is even scarier than I thought.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-07-30 at 03:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Envoy and Juggernaut back as feats, a crazy looking (I can't be the only one thinking it's totally broken) Artificer subclass based on stealing other classes spells? Gnolls, Aasimar, cool punching monk?

Even just looking at this for its player content, I'm enjoying it. I'm sure anyone looking for lore bits would be thrilled.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I really like the book. I mean I read all the articles on the keith baker website thingy, I'd say this is pretty official. It's a bit of a shame if the subclasses and subraces and whatever don't count as technically official, but I'd allow them in my games. I very much want to play a dirge singer bard.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Envoy and Juggernaut back as feats, a crazy looking (I can't be the only one thinking it's totally broken) Artificer subclass based on stealing other classes spells? Gnolls, Aasimar, cool punching monk?

Even just looking at this for its player content, I'm enjoying it. I'm sure anyone looking for lore bits would be thrilled.
    I was thinking that, but then looked at the spell progression of the Artificer, and the limit of the stolen spells which is a level below your lowest level, they are quite limited.

I'll see if I can break it, but honestly it looked bad at first glance but take a deeper look, and do the maths.
    Last edited by 8wGremlin; 2020-07-30 at 05:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8wGremlin View Post
    I was thinking that, but then looked at the spell progression of the Artificer, and the limit of the stolen spells which is a level below your lowest level, they are quite limited.

I'll see if I can break it, but honestly it looked bad at first glance but take a deeper look, and do the maths.
    What do you mean, the progression matches, 3rd gives 1st, 5th gives 2nd and so on. I don't see any level below aspect.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    What do you mean, the progression matches, 3rd gives 1st, 5th gives 2nd and so on. I don't see any level below aspect.
    I'm wrong, you're right, I thought was one level out. my mistake.
    Does make it a lot more potent.

Artificer: Maverick

so what 1 first level spell would you pick? 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Is this more or less powerful than the Divine Soul Sorcerer?
    Last edited by 8wGremlin; 2020-07-30 at 05:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Less powerful. Maverick is still very limited in spellslots, doesn't get Symbol or Teleport or Holy Aura or Wish, etc. Maverick is very interesting, but it's not overpowered AFAICT, even relative to other Artificers.

It's weird to me and a little sad than Dhaakani goblins don't get Nimble Escape. It makes them worse than regular goblins despite having Stealth Expertise.

Aereni Elf fighters are the new kings of at-will solo DPR. Athletics Expertise (Aereni feature) + Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter + Elven Accuracy = a ton of tri-vantage Sharpshooter-boosted attacks against a prone target every round. Not game-breaking but still potentially exciting.

I thought the changeling feats were cool, and the new soldier hobgoblins are also an improvement over Volo's hobgoblins in terms of flavor despite being mechanically slightly weaker. Living Weapon Nightmare variant is a super interesting monk style due to the ability to target Wisdom (fear) as well as Con (stunning). The extra damage isn't terrible either. Interesting flavor too.

I'd allow any of these in my campaign, but I would also allow swapping Goblin Stealth Expertise (for the spy variant) for Nimble Escape. If you make that change then I like this goblin better than the Rising From the Last War/Volo's Goblin--Fury of the Small has always felt out of place.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

That's the other thing, you're not picking one spell, you're a prepared caster. You have that spell list for the rest of your adventuring career.

Sorcerer is a bad pick, there's only a single unique Sorcerer spell in the game. Wizard is obviously a fantastic pick having the largest list without the Wizards one weakness of not being able to prepare them at will, Druid is decent as well. Paladin has a pretty good high level appeal because of their fantastic 5th level spells.

EDIT: Max is obviously correct though, not having high level spells makes you worse than a full caster. I personally place a lot of value on versatility, and this Artificer will well and truly have any option up to 5th level covered, although much later than a full caster.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2020-07-30 at 06:15 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Anyone want to give a brief synopsis of Circle of the Forged druid? I can't really find anything other than it lets you be a dinobot. Might pick up the book just for that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Book ordered. The material that KB and his team produces is amazing and I will always try to support guys like him to stay at it.
    Does help it's my favorite setting.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sambojin View Post
    Anyone want to give a brief synopsis of Circle of the Forged druid? I can't really find anything other than it lets you be a dinobot. Might pick up the book just for that.
    It gives you the same beast options that Moon Druid does (CR Wise) and you gain benefits similar to as if you were a Warforged while transformed (+2 AC and the usual construct things like not sleeping or eating).

Level 6 has you pick an element between Acid, Cold, Fire and Lightning when you wild shape and it augments your attacks while wild shaped in various ways.

The first time you hit a creature in a turn you can expend a spell slot, kind of like smiting, to deal 1d6 of that damage type scaling up to 5d6 maximum and on failed con saves against your spell DC they suffer an effect based on the damage type you chose (AC reduction, Movement 0, Flat damage or loss of Reaction)

Level 10 gives you nonmagical BPS resistance and lets you wild shape as a reaction to being hit, having the attack strike your wild shaped hit points.

Level 14 you become immune to Poison (the damage and condition) as well as Charm, Fear, Paralysis and Petrification while wild shaped.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2020-07-30 at 07:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Aereni Elf fighters are the new kings of at-will solo DPR. Athletics Expertise (Aereni feature) + Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter + Elven Accuracy = a ton of tri-vantage Sharpshooter-boosted attacks against a prone target every round. Not game-breaking but still potentially exciting.
    In case anybody else is also confused, I was mis-remembering prone:

An Attack roll against the creature has advantage if the attacker is within 5 feet of the creature. Otherwise, the Attack roll has disadvantage.
    (I had thought disadvantage applied to ranged attacks, but point-blank Crossbow Expert shots work just fine.)

Nice find. :)

22. - Top - End - #22

Ouch. That seems kinda powerful. Just a far better combat bear than a Moon, with damage boosting, a touch extra AC, damage mitigation, and some useful side things for casting/ tanking later on.

"Sleeping" the entire night's watch as a killer whale is a "stupid druid trick" that immediately came to mind. Or a giant scorpion, if the DM thinks that's too silly. 120' blindsight (only 60' with the scorpion), RAW, all night, every time you rest, for you and the party.

I wonder if the AC calculation would stack with things like Mage Armour or Monk AC?

Follow up question : are there any interesting creatures in the book (especially beasts, Fey or elementals)?
    Last edited by sambojin; 2020-07-30 at 08:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Full disclosure in the Druid circle:

Keith Baker himself has admitted to shamelessly being a huge fan of the Decepticon known as Ravage, from Transformers. There’s zero doubt that was a huge inspiration for it, as he also said he pushed the design team to have Warforged that use Beast Shape to be more.... composite and such in appearance, but they wouldn’t go for it.

Now, back to the mechanics:

Mind Domain. It works. It’s not sexy or exciting, but it certainly works, no problems there.

Dirge Singer Bard. Not what I expected! I recall Dirge Singers being much more like Bard Necromancers, or am I misremembering? This Bard, while AWESOME, shares little in common with that. In fact, this is very Warlord-y. In exchange for slowing your Inspiration die progression (stay at d6 at 5th, then moving to d8, etc) your die can impact two allies simultaneously, and at 6th level you can use your Reaction to burn an inspiration die to grant an ally an additional attack when they take the attack action. That is SO GOOD!

Forged Druid. I really love this. It scales a little better than Moon because, after CR2 Beasts, it’s a bit of a lull until you’d normally get Elemental Shape. And while those forms are quite good, I feel this Forged Circle scales more consistently, by letting you mini-Smite with the nice riders. Is it more powerful than Moon? At certain levels, yeah, but it also falls behind Moon at other points, for sure. But Forged also undoubtedly burns through your resources more, as well. I love it. Unique, and fun. It retreads Moon a bit while also giving a fresh take on it.

Living Weapon Monk... It’s quite interesting to me. For anyone looking to really lean into a animalistic or beast oriented PC, this let’s you do that 24/7. Seriously, unlike something like the Barbarian or Druid, you could actually mechanically play a Wolf or something like 100% of the time. Your attacks can deal any mundane damage type, it has a decent selection of abilities, there’s not much to dislike here. Small damage boost at lv6, and another at 11 (IMO something Monks DESPERATELY need at that point!), I dig it.

Maverick Artificers... Artificer is often looked at a solid addition to a party, but not overly excelling at anything in particular except an overwhelming number of tool proficiencies. This subclass basically turns you into a Lore Bard Artificer, able to steal spells from other classes. But you’re still limited to being a half caster. If you didn’t want a weapon oriented Artificer, and wanted to focus pretty much on being as versatile as possible, this is the subclass for you. Immensely versatile, you have the answer for darn near everything..... just as long as the answer isn’t a spell above 5th level.

Forge Adept Artificer. The Artificer answer to the Hexblade. No pet involved, but still a nice little damage boost at 9th level. You basically make a weapon, and it just gets better as you level, at a superior and faster rate than an Infusion would give it (without counting against your Infusion limit). I really like this one. It’s spell list definitely lends a bit toward being melee focused, but it’s also available for ranged or thrown weapons. Really like this all around.

I.... Really, REALLY like these subclasses! There’s nothing OP here. They’re solid, well designed, flavorful, and unique.

——

EDIT: Wanted to touch on magic weapons for just a moment. This might be my favorite weapon in 5E, the Hungry Weapon. Uncommon rarity, any melee weapon, requires Attunement. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you can spend a Hit Die, and add your Con modifier. You deal extra Necrotic damage equal to the result, and regain that same amount of HP.

THAT IS SO COOL! I love it for a Barbarian or perhaps even some of the not-so-good Paladin oaths.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2020-07-30 at 08:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

EDIT: Wanted to touch on magic weapons for just a moment. This might be my favorite weapon in 5E, the Hungry Weapon. Uncommon rarity, any melee weapon, requires Attunement. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you can spend a Hit Die, and add your Con modifier. You deal extra Necrotic damage equal to the result, and regain that same amount of HP.

THAT IS SO COOL! I love it for a Barbarian or perhaps even some of the not-so-good Paladin oaths.
    I got excited at the mention of this Hungry Weapon since my Paladin focuses around Hit Die healing, now I realize the reason I hadn't remembered seeing it is because I avoided the symbiote stuff as its not really in my wheelhouse.

Not that the weapon actually meshes with my build to begin with, the wording doesn't really imply that any of it counts as "rolling hit die to regain hit points" rather than spending hit die for a resource that happens to also heal you.

I agree though, seems fairly solid for a Paladin. Dwarves already make fairly solid Paladins, and the Ruinborn Dwarves seem like a good fit for this. I've got a Hexblade Dwarf that I've built for a campaign but never actually got to play yet, I might push this into the DM's direction and see if I can retool him a bit. Should be valid for Hexblade, I can't find any mention of these being strictly Sentient, thought I'm almost positive that goes against the spirit of things.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

It really is a shame that many are going to outright pass on this book because it doesn’t have the WOTC seal on it.

It’s a damn solid book, it really is. If you skip the book simply because it’s not “official”, you’re doing yourself a disservice.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by sambojin View Post
    It's a better Moon Druid in most ways (no elemental forms but AC bonuses and resistance to nonmagical BPS plus some ways to disable enemies via element-themed quasi-Divine Smite; transform as a reaction to damage instead of as a bonus action, but not until high level; but your attacks do not count as magical weapons) but with worse recon/stealth (you're obviously not a natural creature).

Probably a little bit overpowered honestly, even relative to Moon Druids. I'm not sure I'd allow one. My biggest issue with it is that it's hard to think of a reason why you'd ever want to play a Moon Druid instead of one of these guys. You get a better action economy, smites, more durability... the only thing you lose is magical attacks and some mobility (Earth Glide or Air Elemental flight), plus you now stick out like a sore thumb, and I'm not sure that's enough to make the dilemma interesting. On the other hand I lean towards permitting RAW (not just WotC RAW) so initially I'd allow it just like I allow Hexblade and Shepherd Druid. I'm merely concerned, not opposed. Maybe it wouldn't cause a problem in practice.

Edit: on second thought I'd restrict this circle to Warforged PCs. Not only does it match the fluff, it also explains why you'd want to play a Moon Druid instead: you don't want to play a Warforged. I'm 100% okay with Warforged druids being more robotic and durable than normal druids.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-07-31 at 02:35 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    It's a better Moon Druid in most ways (no elemental forms but AC bonuses and resistance to nonmagical BPS plus some ways to disable enemies via element-themed quasi-Divine Smite; transform as a reaction to damage instead of as a bonus action, but not until high level; but your attacks do not count as magical weapons) but with worse recon/stealth (you're obviously not a natural creature).

Probably a little bit overpowered honestly, even relative to Moon Druids. I'm not sure I'd allow one. My biggest issue with it is that it's hard to think of a reason why you'd ever want to play a Moon Druid instead of one of these guys. You get a better action economy, smites, more durability... the only thing you lose is magical attacks and some mobility (Earth Glide or Air Elemental flight), plus you now stick out like a sore thumb, and I'm not sure that's enough to make the dilemma interesting. On the other hand I lean towards permitting RAW (not just WotC RAW) so initially I'd allow it just like I allow Hexblade and Shepherd Druid. I'm merely concerned, not opposed. Maybe it wouldn't cause a problem in practice.

Edit: on second thought I'd restrict this circle to Warforged PCs. Not only does it match the fluff, it also explains why you'd want to play a Moon Druid instead: you don't want to play a Warforged. I'm 100% okay with Warforged druids being more robotic and durable than normal druids.
    I think the Circle is alright. But the power spikes come at different points than Moon. While Forged’s attacks never become innately magical, Moon’s does. Forged has better AC but Can doesn’t get a big boost in new forms like Elemental Shape for Moon gets (which extends the usefulness of Wild Shape quite a bit).

28. - Top - End - #28

OldWizardGuy

I normally take a hard pass on DM's DM's Guild titles, but I picked this up this morning and I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend.
    Last edited by HappyDaze; 2020-07-31 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Autocorrect strikes again!

29. - Top - End - #29

I think the Circle is alright. But the power spikes come at different points than Moon. While Forged’s attacks never become innately magical, Moon’s does. Forged has better AC but Can doesn’t get a big boost in new forms like Elemental Shape for Moon gets (which extends the usefulness of Wild Shape quite a bit).
    They don't need the elemental forms except for mobility (esp. Earth Glide): they already get damage resistance as e.g. Giant Scorpions, Elephants, Giant Crocodiles, etc. Elemental forms cost two wildshapes, but don't have twice as much HP as e.g. a Giant Crocodile, so the robot druid comes out ahead even before you take wildshape-as-a-reaction or the big pile of immunities into account.

The magical attacks are nice, kind of, but they arguably don't affect elemental form anyway (I'd allow it but technically the RAW only says beast shape) and even without magical attacks the Forged Cleric can still inflict control (restraining bites) and is very tanky.

I don't think magical attacks and Earth Glide justify giving up reaction wildshape, better AC, Elemental Fury (e.g. reducing enemies to 0 speed with no concentration cost for just a level 1 spell slot (Con save every round), or depriving them of reactions if they're already slow), weapon resistance, and immunity to poison, charm, fear, paralyzing, and petrification. Like, pretty much everything I would ever do as a Moon Druid is already done better by Forged Druid with the sole exceptions of hit-and-run attacks (thanks mostly to Earth Glide) and _maybe_ Fire Elemental horde killing, though I think the Forged Druid would do the latter just as effectively via spells like Ice Storm. (Fire Elementaling isn't so much strong as it is fun and cheap-if-you-can-rest-afterwards.)

I think restricting it to Warforged only restores the balance though, and the more I think about it the more certain I am that's the road I'm going to go down. It makes thematic and diegetic sense, and it prevents Moon Druids from losing their existing niche.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Well you’re comparing the features as a whole, which is fine. But remember you need to actually play the class to get to that point. So while it’s nice to eventually get Wild Shape as a Reaction, you need to play quite awhile before you get to that point. Meanwhile the Moon Druid hasn’t had to worry about overcoming resistance to attacks for 8 levels or so, but every time the Forged Druid comes up against Undead or Demons, their Wild Shape’s attacks are only doing Half damage as a result.

EDIT: Additionally, the control riders of the quasi-Smite are limited to only once per turn, and cost a spell slot to implement. And Moon can turn as a Bonus Action, while Forged remains an Action. (I'm gonna ask if that's intended, I'll keep everyone updated)
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2020-07-31 at 08:31 AM.