New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default How did you come up with your username here?

For starters, I always said "understatement" really loudly whenever discussions went pear-shaped, and I signed onto this forum expecting the name to be taken. To my pleasant surprise, it wasn't.

How did you come up with your username on this forum?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: How did you come up with your username here?

Tualatin Valley Tyrant. It is where I am from (and sadly live still...)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3

It's a character of mine from an old game that we'd just finished a revisit of about a week before I joined.

edit: although to be honest the name's misspelled because of the character limit.
    Last edited by Rogar Demonblud; 2020-07-31 at 06:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

First initial, last name. Easy peasy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Me and my Buddies were playing D&D
    my Character's Name was Four
    the DM had made a groundhog day type one shot.
    where everyday the universe would explode because we failed to stop the BBEG
    (some 47ish level necromancer wanting complete destruction of the world who had set up an elaborate plan that was set to go off at the end of the day to explode the world)
    (so we would keep living the day over because we couldn't stop him)

we started naming each reset, and on world 41 I got the idea to try out Blackrazor that we had collected
    in one of his artifact rooms
    (we had never used it before as we were all good)

so I rolled to hit the necromancer with the sword and rolled a Nat 1
    and the Dm gets us to roll percentiles to see how big of a fail it is
    I rolled 00...100% fail
    the sword consumed my Character's Soul (3 saves were allowed and I failed them all) taking control of my body which caused the loop to end as I was not in control, proceeded to use my lawful good fighter to kill the Necromancer first, and then my entire party (they really tried but they were all at low health already and I had most of mine).
    the world exploded as per usual but the loop was ended so it didn't reset the day
    we all laughed and rolled some new characters
    that was my one of my favourite moments ever

so My username Is wolrd41 or w41, blackrazor but I got rid of the o and substituted an A with a 4 (because my Character's name was Four)
    A huge thankyou to Linklele for the amazing avatar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

At the time I was heavily into Eberron, and I really liked the complex ideas behind the seemingly simple faith of The Sovereign Host pantheon (Explained in the Faiths of Eberron book).

As I was reading it over I liked the sound of the name one of the deities- Kol Korran.
    I just liked the sound of it...

Yeah, nothing special.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Now this account is some real old school name selecting for me! I now have a set of standard usernames, as so many do, and this account by far predates them! Icewalker was a terribly uninspired name of one of my first long-term World of Warcraft characters way back in vanilla.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

It came from a joke friends had back on Skype. I had a knack for remembering the right snippets to CTRL+F in past conversations, so was able to pull up stuff almost instantly to prove people right or wrong. Often ninjaing people. So, thus... DataNinja.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It was a character of mine in a Warhammer game from long ago. I started using it on fora and to maintain consistency (and to remember it easier) I try to use the same name on each forum I sign up on. As it's not really a common name, it has worked so far.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

My father and I used to play Dune 2 on the same computer. To avoid confusion (we have the same first name), he started naming his saves with preposition "dad" = "oco".

Once his hand slipped and wrote "occo" and after that he started doing so all the time.

My name's short version is "Laco", so I decided to follow suit. Hence lacco. And 36's just a number of my parent's former apartment, something I use when lacco is taken.

I was thinking of losing the 36 and upgrading to normal handle, but there's too much sentimental value.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Named after the lizard folk spell caster pc that I’ll get round to playing sometime (when someone else where I am learns how to dm grumble grumble). It’s changed from an evocation wizard to a wild magic sorcerer to a lore bard, but currently I’m thinking a divination wizard/alchemist artificer is what it’ll be.
    Oh and alliteration!
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

It's one of my ol' nom de net -- I'm a huge fan of the band Rush

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

SK are my initials

Tarq is short for Tarquin...which is the name my father wanted to name me, a fact that some of my boarding school friends found out and started using for me at the time...some of whom started to abbreviate that nickname to Tarq (or Tark)..and of the 300 nicknames I had from HS that one seemed to stick around longer. My father said he got it from Hamlet who got it from the Roman Kings.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I wanted a username that I knew wouldn’t be taken anywhere (so I can use it everywhere for consistency) so I decided I needed a meaningless string of sounds that sounded somewhat nice. I took the name of my latest video game character (an altmer wizard in Oblivion) and fiddled with it until I got something I liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You mean you’re not a tyrant who rules over television?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-07-31 at 05:04 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Genuinely just two river-related landform words I found convenient to say (a nice collection of broad and slender vowels), and it's easy to remember and spell. My old user I used to go by on other sites was a bit too clunky and I just wanted a change. Not very deep or meaningful compared to some of the anecdotes on this thread!
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

I like making bread, and I used to just go by Bisected.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

My brother and I used to do kind of freeform RP games outside, where we'd make up stories and beat the **** out of each other with sticks and whatnot. One of my character's names was Rynjin, which I liked the sound of when I finally started having a larger internet presence (as opposed to my previous preteen username of choice, Darkfire). I go by this username everywhere, with two exceptions; both of which are because some Chinese guy took the name first. Same guy both times.

I've used this username for so long that I'm about as comfortable being called Ryn or Rynjin as my real name in conversation.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Mith

When I started joining forums, I used Mithrandir, which got shortened to Mith in forum discussions. Eventually, I decided to just shrink the name down to what was used anyways, and it is a useful nick to keep around.

19. - Top - End - #19

Default Re: Mith

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    When I started joining forums, I used Mithrandir, which got shortened to Mith in forum discussions. Eventually, I decided to just shrink the name down to what was used anyways, and it is a useful nick to keep around.
    I just thought you took a shot and mithed.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I just thought you took a shot and mithed.
    Considering that I had to shorten the name by 60%, I say that is an accurate assessment!

21. - Top - End - #21

Considering that I had to shorten the name by 60%, I say that is an accurate assessment!
    I knew that wasn't a myth!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I knew that wasn't a myth!
    ....I spent a while trying to develop a pun response, and you have out witted me.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

....I spent a while trying to develop a pun response, and you have out witted me.
    You must be so miffed.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I wanted a username that I knew wouldn’t be taken anywhere (so I can use it everywhere for consistency) so I decided I needed a meaningless string of sounds that sounded somewhat nice. I took the name of my latest video game character (an altmer wizard in Oblivion) and fiddled with it until I got something I liked.

You mean you’re not a tyrant who rules over television?
    I mean I'm a fox, but I'm not fox.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Heey! Represent! Where abouts? Hillsboro? Beaverton?

As for me, see I was really angry...

Kidding. The actual answer is pretty boring. I was writing a story at the time and one of the main villains had the epithet "The Fury" and I thought it sounded cool at the time.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

There are some people who like to feel intellectually superior and be condescending about their knowledge of children's board games. I want to remind myself to never become one of those people.

I'm here to funpost, play pretend, chew bubblegum, and occasionally derail threads with my name- getting people to think I may be an ooze or construct. Oh cool, I still have some gum!
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've been using this user name forever. Bartman is Bart Simpson's alter ego and is the parody of Batman and Homer is Homer Simpson. So I combined Bartman and Homer is make my user name Bartmanhomer.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Heey! Represent! Where abouts? Hillsboro? Beaverton?

As for me, see I was really angry...

Kidding. The actual answer is pretty boring. I was writing a story at the time and one of the main villains had the epithet "The Fury" and I thought it sounded cool at the time.
    Who was The Fury? Norn of your business!

Hillsboro! What about you?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

So when I found this site and this webcomic, I was actually considering doing a D&D-based comic myself. Like all my projects, however, I abandoned it because I didn't have the physical or digital art skills way back then. I did, however, plot out a bit of the story and did a lot of development on the characters.

Hawkeye was going to be an wood elf ranger, the name was inspired by the Marvel character (although back in 2005-2007, he hadn't been in any movies yet so it felt like a more obscure reference). He was an archer, and I remember he wore a few feathers woven into his silvery-white hair. As I normally do with D&D characters, they are at most very loosely based on a character from popular media and I fill in the character with original details. The name "Hawkeye" itself was meant to be a translation of his elven family name, and eventually his given name would have been revealed as Killian (don't remember why I picked that, either).

He wasn't even one of the main characters of the story. More like a mercenary who would sometimes show up as a supporting character, kind of like Shadow from Final Fantasy 6. Especially any time there were orcs to kill, because that was his specialty. So when I joined the forums and wanted a D&D-related username, I elected to memorialize the abandoned story by using his name.

Later on, I played a version of Hawkeye in an actual D&D game. Although he didn't have the same story background or anything, it was still one of the more fun characters I've ever played.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Who was The Fury? Norn of your business!

Hillsboro! What about you?
    Also Hillsboro. Though the plan is to move to the Tigard/King City area in a couple months.