New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Question I'm Very Uncertain About 2021

2020 has been a year unlike any other year that I've experienced in my entire life and I'm not sure what next year is going to be like. I don't know if 2021 is going to be better or worse. I'm trying to be very optimistic about 2021 to be a better year yet but right now I'm not sure about it. Does anyone else feel the same way as me?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: I'm Very Uncertain About 2021

I suspect the first half will be as bad as 2020, maybe worse. The second half should be much better. I'm pretty confident the vaccines are going to work -- at least one will, given the number that have gotten good results. Once it's widely distributed (probably still 6+ months from now), things here will definitely improve.

Not just the constant fear of getting sick and the boredom of being stuck at home day in day out, but the economy will start to pull itself back together once people can go out again.

Really looking forward to Fall 2021!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    I suspect the first half will be as bad as 2020, maybe worse. The second half should be much better. I'm pretty confident the vaccines are going to work -- at least one will, given the number that has gotten good results. Once it's widely distributed (probably still 6+ months from now), things here will improve.

Not just the constant fear of getting sick and the boredom of being stuck at home day in day out, but the economy will start to pull itself back together once people can go out again.

Looking forward to Fall 2021!
    I hope that you're right. It's not that I don't believe you but it just that I feel that my cup is half-empty and feel pessimistic about next year.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fun fake little known fake fact- due to a printing error during the propagation of Inter gravissimas, compounded by some mistranslation from the Latin in the Calendar (New Style) Act of 1750, the year 2021 legally occurred in Great Britain (and all territories of the British Empire, then including what would later become the United States) between the days of September 2nd and September 14th in 1752.

So if you live in a primarily English speaking nation, there's a good chance that you're right to be uncertain about 2021, as you should technically be proceeding directly to 2022.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    2020 has been a year unlike any other year that I've experienced in my entire life and I'm not sure what next year is going to be like. I don't know if 2021 is going to be better or worse. I'm trying to be very optimistic about 2021 to be a better year yet but right now I'm not sure about it. Does anyone else feel the same way as me?
    The Economist is predicting that a successful vaccine distribution and ending the lockdown will cause the global economy to grow by 5% in 12 months. I think it is an excellent time to invest or to balance your portfolio.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ajustusdaniel View Post
    Fun fake little known fake fact- due to a printing error during the propagation of Inter gravissimas, compounded by some mistranslation from the Latin in the Calendar (New Style) Act of 1750, the year 2021 legally occurred in Great Britain (and all territories of the British Empire, then including what would later become the United States) between September 2nd and September 14th in 1752.

So if you live in a primarily English speaking nation, there's a good chance that you're right to be uncertain about 2021, as you should technically be proceeding directly to 2022.
    How's that relevant for what I'm talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    The Economist is predicting that a successful vaccine distribution and ending the lockdown will cause the global economy to grow by 5% in 12 months. I think it is an excellent time to invest or to balance your portfolio.
    Well, that's good even though I make a decent income of money.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-11-27 at 12:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    How's that relevant for what I'm talking about?
    Perhaps he felt the need to say something about it, and that's why he responded? You literally asked how other people felt about 2021, and Ajustusdaniel is clearly showing us that they feel like tackling the new year with as much humor as possible.

Personally, I find that the fake but fun trivia adds levity to the discussion, and probably did more to contribute to my mental health than hearing the same folks rehash the same complaints. However, I would never try to gatekeep the people who feel the need to vent, because that's probably what they need to do right now for their own wellbeing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xyril View Post
    Perhaps he felt the need to say something about it, and that's why he responded? You literally asked how other people felt about 2021, and Ajustusdaniel is clearly showing us that they feel like tackling the new year with as much humor as possible.

Personally, I find that the fake but fun trivia adds levity to the discussion, and probably did more to contribute to my mental health than hearing the same folks rehash the same complaints. However, I would never try to gatekeep the people who feel the need to vent, because that's probably what they need to do right now for their own wellbeing.
    Well yes. I guess that makes sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Xyril View Post
    Personally, I find that the fake but fun trivia adds levity to the discussion, and probably did more to contribute to my mental health than hearing the same folks rehash the same complaints.
    Fake fun fact! The Mayans were, as an entire civilization, dyslexic. While we believed their calendars ended on 2012, it really ended on 2021.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Fake fun fact! The Mayans were, as an entire civilization, dyslexic. While we believed their calendars ended on 2012, it really ended on 2021.
    Even faker fact. They all had dyscalculia which is the actual term for switching numbers around.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Even faker fact. They all had dyscalculia which is the actual term for switching numbers around.
    My understanding is that dyscalculia is more of an inability to comprehend mathematical functions and manipulate figures rather than a "dyslexia but with numbers" - after all, letters and numbers are just written symbols and I would imagine function the same way as far as reading goes. But I'm not a doctor and can't say with certainty; that's just my understanding.

However, we can go even further on the fake fun fact scale and say they had dysvigesia! A fake condition in which the brain has issues switching the base-twenty dot-and-dash Mayan numeral system characters around.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-28 at 03:24 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    My understanding is that dyscalculia is more of an inability to comprehend mathematical functions and manipulate figures rather than a "dyslexia but with numbers" - after all, letters and numbers are just written symbols and I would imagine function the same way as far as reading goes. But I'm not a doctor and can't say with certainty; that's just my understanding.

However, we can go even further on the fake fun fact scale and say they had dysvigesia! A fake condition in which the brain has issues switching the base-twenty dot-and-dash Mayan numeral system characters around.
    Like Dyslexia it's a broad thing.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Coulson View Post
    Judging from how the last few years were I'd say it's only going to get worse (as a general trend). We are approaching the limit with the technologies we have and breakthroughs are unlikely to happen soon, so life quality will be dropping.
    Technology is only one factor that influences quality of life.

Also, we're only approaching the limits of technology with respect to certain important fields where we've really picked off all of the low hanging fruit. Technological booms always slow down once you keep going deeper into the same field--technology in general, however, tends to effect the most drastic changes when you make a sharp left turn into a previously undiscovered or underdeveloped field, or even a novel consumer use of an existing technology.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I am not uncertain in the least. I just feel the world is going to end in a month... at the very least starts the drastic tumble into ending-ness (is that even a word?)