New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: How did you come up with your username here?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Also Hillsboro. Though the plan is to move to the Tigard/King City area in a couple months.
    It's pretty funny that both Aloha and King City decided not to incorporate so they got eaten by neighboring towns. KC is a way better name IMO.

Where did you go to high school? I'm a hillsboro highschool graduate, year 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Might be smart to continue the conversation over PMs, if you're going to start getting deeper into identifying info.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-08-02 at 10:29 AM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

A few years back, on an Exalted forum/chat thing, I was creating a new character (Defiler caste Green Sun Prince), and I had the general concept in my head of what I wanted, but I needed a name. It was a new design, not one of my slowly expanding recycled character list, so I had to come up with it on the spot. I thought what was a good sound, and thought, "I like the 'ea' sound, then spliced that with my little brother's character name "Raem" (who was, himself, based on one of the villains from Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles). Then shifted it to make it my own. "Reathin", which I only realized liter was also "Breathing" without the first and last letters, which made me like it even more.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    It's pretty funny that both Aloha and King City decided not to incorporate so they got eaten by neighboring towns. KC is a way better name IMO.

Where did you go to high school? I'm a hillsboro highschool graduate, year 2007.
    I agree that King City is a cooler name than Tigard. Unfortunately neither is really that cool of a town. Maybe I just think that because "King City" conjures up mental images of retro-future buildings, concert venues and dive bars. The actual King City is... not that. Heck, Trimet only has like two bus lines that go there.

Aloha is... weird. Mostly because in typical Oregon fashion, "Aloha" is not pronounced in a way that anyone expects. I had a friend from Texas that said the actual pronunciation for "Aloha" killed her last brain cell.

Though I sort of agree with DataNinja, I'm not really that comfortable sharing that kind of information like where I went to high school. Sorry.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    I agree that King City is a cooler name than Tigard. Unfortunately neither is really that cool of a town. Maybe I just think that because "King City" conjures up mental images of retro-future buildings, concert venues and dive bars. The actual King City is... not that. Heck, Trimet only has like two bus lines that go there.

Aloha is... weird. Mostly because in typical Oregon fashion, "Aloha" is not pronounced in a way that anyone expects. I had a friend from Texas that said the actual pronunciation for "Aloha" killed her last brain cell.

Though I sort of agree with DataNinja, I'm not really that comfortable sharing that kind of information like where I went to high school. Sorry.
    No worries!

Aloha was originally spelled Aloah, then got changed by our infamously bad post office. It is named after a town in Wisconsin.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Tarmor is short for Tarmornalomea, which I constructed from Tolkien elvish around University time in the early 90's. (Back when I could write fluently using the Tengwar.) The long form has been used only a few times, but I've stuck with Tarmor for nearly anything internet related (like forums and site logins), and some gaming.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Willie the Duck is a character (a dragon, not a duck) from Larry Elmore's Snarfquest comics (which used to appear in Dragon Magazine)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Mith

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I just thought you took a shot and mithed.
    Dath wathup.

I first used mine as a username on a forum dedicated to discussing Stephen King's Dark Tower series probably in 1995 or so. I can't remember precisely where it came from, but even by I'd already been using the name "Christopher Arthur Truemane" in short stories and RPG's for almost a decade.

The lower-case 't' was originally either a time-saving measure or due to some site not being case sensitive. But by now it's part of the name and when someone calls me 'Truemane" it feels like it's spelled wrong.

And note it's true-mane (like hair) and not true-name (like dysfunctional D&D classes).
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

When I was trying to get myself a memorable email address, years ago, when that was still sort of possible, I was getting increasingly annoyed by the choices that had been taken already - hence my email ended up being *name* "the Vexed" (at) email domain (dot) com.

And my name is Alastair - so Altair has always been my go to "other" name, because of the star. Again, long before Assassins' Creed.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

A few years before I joined this forum, I had cribbed the name Velaryon from ASoIaF lore and used it for a D&D character (Game of Thrones wasn't a thing yet on TV so most of my friends didn't recognize the reference). I had a standard name I used to use on every forum I joined back then, but I was getting tired of it and wanted something new, so I went with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Post Re: Mith

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    I first used mine as a username on a forum dedicated to discussing Stephen King's Dark Tower series probably in 1995 or so.
    At first I thought the name had something to do with the series but couldn't figure out what it was. The dark tower is awesome. Changed the way I read fiction.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

I took the name from one of my villains who was based on a monster in a Lego showcase video.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

I like werecreatures, and alliterated from there.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Haruspex was my first attempt at a gamer tag, because it was a word with a meaning but wasn't in common use. I added Pariah to it because I figured a two-word username had a better chance of being unique. I was collecting Necrons at the time and I thought the Pariah units looked cool. Later on I realized that it meant something that wasn't great but I stuck with it because I'm attached to the name now.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dangelo View Post
    At first I thought the name had something to do with the series but couldn't figure out what it was. The dark tower is awesome. Changed the way I read fiction.
    No, there's no relation. The name originated in a short story I wrote in High School and, for whatever reason, stuck in my head and I've used it dozens of times since. That forum was just the first time I ever used it on-line (and I'm pretty sure was the reason for the lower-case t).

And yeah, the first three books of the Dark Tower are among King's best. The Wastelands might even be his best. Books IV and V are both quite good, but the timbers are certainly starting to creak. And then it pretty much goes off the rails. I think King just ran out of juice and just finished it in cold blood. Like an old married person joylessly going through the motions.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I first used mine as a username on a forum dedicated to discussing Stephen King's Dark Tower series probably in 1995 or so.
    Now, you say that, but I still suspect it is a form of hiding your true name, which is, of course, "truname". Also, since I just spoke it, you are completely under my control. And I have gone mad with power. MAD, I TELL YOU!

Anyway, gimme five dollars.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No, there's no relation. The name originated in a short story I wrote in High School and, for whatever reason, stuck in my head and I've used it dozens of times since. That forum was just the first time I ever used it on-line (and I'm pretty sure was the reason for the lower-case t).

And yeah, the first three books of the Dark Tower are among King's best. The Wastelands might even be his best. Books IV and V are both quite good, but the timbers are certainly starting to creak. And then it pretty much goes off the rails. I think King just ran out of juice and just finished it in cold blood. Like an old married person joylessly going through the motions.
    King can't write endings, is the thing. I wrote a whole essay on how horror and suspense are forms of tragedy and he gets mislabelled as horror. All of his stories fall apart after the Choice is made, the further back he sticks the choice the better the book is until the post-Choice consequence scene which is invariably botched.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Sadly I have no complicated story. I'm sure you can guess. Interesting thread though.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

It's a name of a character I played in an online game ages ago. It was a game with multiple character classes, playerbase wipes every few years, and a comparatively short grind to maximum level, so even more casual players would dabble with two or more characters at a time. It also had pretty ruthlessly competitive PvP, so once I joined one of the major clans, reusing one of my old usernames once the world rebooted would have painted a target on my back, meaning that I had to come up with quite a few creative names that I liked.

I became aware of the security flaws of reusing the same username/password on multiple services pretty early on, so that game became one of a few things I used as a bank for unique, memorable usernames. Not reusing names also helps me to remember which different password sequence is associated with each account, minimizing how much I have to rely on the password locker. It also reduces the chances that I type a valid password into the wrong service, and as well as the likelihood at a compromised site would figure out where to exploit that leaked password.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Sadly I have no complicated story. I'm sure you can guess. Interesting thread though.
    Guessing: you...are an actual guard? Do you guard a sapphire od immense value? A guard, last of the ancient order that promised to safeguard a sapphire of immense value and magical power?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

21. - Top - End - #51

PirateCaptain

My initials, preserving lowercase for name-prepositions*. I use the same name across multiple online accounts, but am wildly inconsistent about capitalisation.

*Almost certainly the wrong term, because I only realsied that I don't know what they're called once I was already typing the sentence. I mean things like the du in du Mourne or the ibn in ibn Saud.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Guessing: you...are an actual guard? Do you guard a sapphire od immense value? A guard, last of the ancient order that promised to safeguard a sapphire of immense value and magical power?
    All of the above.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    My initials, preserving lowercase for name-prepositions*. I use the same name across multiple online accounts, but am wildly inconsistent about capitalisation.

*Almost certainly the wrong term, because I only realsied that I don't know what they're called once I was already typing the sentence. I mean things like the du in du Mourne or the ibn in ibn Saud.
    "du" is a nobiliary particle, I can't find what the technical term for "ibn" and the like is.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wildstag is a username I've been using for everything since about 2014. It is mostly derived from my affinity for deer, and wanting to use a gendered name for male deer. It is also partially due to my fondness for the "Camping Can Be Cool" episode of Regular Show. Buck just didn't feel like it'd fit, Hart was too much like "heart" and my previous username "satyrsol" which people often spelled with "soul".

Stag worked well. Then when looking for the deer-in-the-headlights scene from the Regular Show episode, I found out that the guy was named "Stagman". Thus, Wildstagman felt right, and eventually because of the length of it, I truncated it and my username became "Wildstag".

On a couple sites where username changes are not allowed, I still use satyrsol, but I started using this site when I wanted it to be Wildstag. And it's stuck with me since May of 2014.

25. - Top - End - #55

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    "du" is a nobiliary particle, I can't find what the technical term for "ibn" and the like is.
    Patronymic particle? Even if that wasn't the term, it is now.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

I just thought that the 0e D&D/1e AD&D Ranger class waa cool, and their started hit points (after CON modifiers) was two d8 dice.

Not much else to tell.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

27. - Top - End - #57

There was a film called "Our Man Flint." It's a bond parody and whilst infiltrating the villain's lair the protagonist is detected by a bald eagle trained to attack Americans.
    It's referred to as an Anti-American Eagle by Flint. My username was shortened to fit the forum's standard.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2020-08-14 at 01:16 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Eagle View Post
    There was a film called "Our Man Flint." It's a bond parody and whilst infiltrating the villain's lair the protagonist is detected by a bald eagle trained to attack Americans.
    It's referred to as an Anti-American Eagle by Flint. My username was shortened to fit the forum's standard.
    An anti-American eagle? That's diabolical!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Middle name.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

I love Japaneses culture and sakura is a very popular song in that country. Osaka seems to be very Japanese style...