New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31

Default Re: Gnome Beguiler help

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    That might be another reason the beguiler's spell list focus sometimes elicits concerns: DM bias not allowing for the proper adjudication of illusion effects. If your DM's combative it can block out large portions of a beguiler's list (but then again, why are you letting someone like that DM for you lol)...
    That's the general weakness of Enchantment and Illusion, really. They are both, by RAW, incredibly powerful, but subject to the possibility of sweeping nerfs based on DM rulings. Which is why expanding your list is so valuable to a Beguiler. When your basic kit is already at the point where "DM says no" is your biggest problem, going deeper on that is not an efficient use of your resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Don't tell me you've never seen zombies in a movie try to bust through doors and windows.
    D&D zombies aren't movie zombies. Most movie zombies are closer to Ghouls. D&D zombies, by RAW, have a specific program and follow exactly that program. While there certainly are some programs that Silent Image doesn't beat (e.g. patrolling areas specified in feet rather than "this room") it does beat most orders most zombies get.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also, I read somewhere that Extra Spell was errata'd to specifically exclude anything not already on your class's spell list, so depending if the DM goes with that I'm not sure it'll be any help, here.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'm not doing extra spell I'm doing domains. On the subject though what should I get for advaced learning?
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    I'm not doing extra spell I'm doing domains. On the subject though what should I get for advaced learning?
    It depends on what tricks you use. With an early Versatile Spellcaster with the right ruling, or that with Heighten or something else, the first Advanced Learning should always be Ray of Stupidity in Spell Compendium. That deals 1d4+1 Int damage, a creature dropped to Int 0 is knocked unconscious, so any animal you hit is automatically disabled by it, and a few shots can easily take down a high-hp bruiser. Even against a wizard it nerfs his DCs and bonus spells and even his ability to cast higher level spells due to ability score requirements.

If you dip a single level of Mindbender or Shadow Adept or anything else that grants +1 level of spellcasting before your second Advanced Learning, they can each be one level higher. Combined with the above you can pick spells of up to 5th, 7th, 9th, and 9th level with subsequent Advanced Learnings. The 7th level spell should be Greater Shadow Conjuration, and one of the 9ths should be Greater Shadow Evocation, those should go without saying. For the other 9th I'd get Superior Invisibility, but that's not really necessary if you take Darkstalker. The 5th level spell can be Shadow Form (which may be a bit redundant with Swift Ethereanless), or Persistent Image, or Dream, or Song of Discord, etc., whatever you think you'll find the most useful.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

3rd - distract assailant (Complete Adventurer)
    7th - ray of stupidity (Spell Compendium)
    11th - shadow evocation (SRD)
    15th - greater shadow conjuration (SRD)
    19th - programmed amnesia (Spell Compendium)

Since you're not dipping or PrC-ing your spell level progression for Advanced Learning's delayed.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

it's not delayed itjust isn't advanced
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world