New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Fire from the Deep - IC

Emma examines the woman carefully, trying to detect if she is sincere. (Sense Motive: (1d20)[3]) Still, as the woman offers her the very thing she desires, she doesn't resist. Seated by the fire, she answers, "It has been a long time since I had a real meal. I'm not picky." She rolls a stiff shoulder backward and forward, trying to loosen it. "You make it sound like the Archon is a good master," she offers, hoping that the old woman picks up on the thread and elaborates.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At the sight of the blade, Korugan feels his composure slipping. He has never been comfortable with violence...

Well. It would be more truthful to say he has never been comfortable with exposing himself to injury. Doing violence to others is an occasional necessity that bothers him not at all.

The steel expands to fill his whole world, and he is abruptly convinced the magus means to drive that hot spike of metal into his vulnerable eye.

One day, I will have power enough to never endure such indignities, he promises himself.

But that day is not this day.

Mustering all his mental discipline, he voices his name and holds still while the cut is made - terror of the knife slipping lending impetus to the desire to hold completely still.

Even so, when the blade is removed, he cannot resist a brief whimper of pain; and instantly he feels enraged that these people have witnessed - no, caused - that moment of weakness.

They will surely pay. One day.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Vas's ears perk up as she hears the sound. Something was digging beneath them. She hadn't had time to form her beast tamer's circlet, so hopefully whatever was coming wasn't a giant, hungry monster.

She moves over to the source of the sound. She pushes the bunk out of the way, alerting whoever was on the bunk to the sound and her intention first.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Emma
    Show
    Then you will have a real meal. Trevor, Rian, prepare some eggs, toast, and fry a few potatoes and onions. The crone tuts after two of the boys washing dishes, one of whom swiftly gets to carving root vegetables. The other goes to the back of the pantry to retrieve the other goods. The old woman turns back to you and politely answers the question. I have been serving the Archon's family my entire life. They bring the wealth of outside worlds to Araxicazzan. In just my lifetime, we have gone from eating beasts of the caves to foods from the surface world. I am very fortunate for the Archon and his ancestors.

The crone looks you up and down. You really must be new here. I can see why you were brought to Deepmine. The Royal color is red, for the rubies that make Araxicazzan rich. Your hair is such a vibrant shade of red, odd to come across in the Deep. Where are you from, child?

Spoiler: Korugan
    Show
    The blade slices your cheek swiftly and cleanly. It stings briefly, but the pain soon fades. The blade was hot enough that it is not bleeding as a normal wound. Those looking on as you undergo your initiation rite stand afterward. Congratulations Korugan. That is all, a brief supper will be delivered to your bed and then you may find your rest. But first, follow me to the balcony. There is something I would like to show you. Ni'amoz places her hand on your shoulder and guides you to the balcony. She presses her hand onto the glass, and it appears as if a panel in the middle parted to permit you use of the telescopes on the other side. The Crimson Tower reaches the very top of the cave, and to it's left is a short, but wide curtain wall built atop a mining tunnel. Deepmine Keep, where Archon Neredinum rules atop the great mine that gives the fort it's name. Most of it's structure is dug into the rock behind it. Ni'amoz informs you. And to the right, you will see the Untergang, the facility that houses nearly all other slaves in Araxicazzan. We serve as an overseer class, as well as in aid of Deepmine when the Archon calls to us. And the rest of this vast cave are the free people of Araxicazzan. Technically, they are above us in the social ladder, though 99% of them are in drastically more desperate conditions than you or I. Here, step up to a telescope, we can fetch a stool for you to stand up to it. Look about the city as it pleases you.

You may take your time at the telescope, but you smell hot loaves of bread in the room with the view where you received your mark. Ni'amoz continues to talk to you. Any of the Magi may ask a service of you, but your first priority will always be to assist me when I observe a summons from Deepmine. I pay a regular visit to our Archon, and on occasion he has seen fit to seek my presence for more immediate concerns. You may have noticed that most of our order are of elven descents, you may know of us as drow. Truth be told, you are the only dwarf in our order. It is my hope that your presence when I attend to the Archon will please His Majesty.

Spoiler: Vas
    Show
    The several dwarves back up at your behest, standing back and giving you plenty of room. You move the bunk to the side and to your surprise...

Are a pair of rats.

The dwarves laugh at you, some slapping their legs with their hands. Some monster. The two rats continue to chitter and sniff along the edge of the room in search of crumbs, hardly registering you as a threat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Gronz laughs at the boot being flung at the ogre's head. Laughing he says I hope you can teach me your trick one day little one.

Taking a deep breath he will note We have a big day tomorrow, you will need your rest. The arena life is hard, harder for the small. as he yawns and begins to settle down for the evening.
    Last edited by S1ndarin; 2020-09-13 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Following Ni'amoz to the balcony, Korugan takes some time studying the layout of the city. If ever he needs to escape, or to find his way to a specific destination, remembering this view may be particularly useful. He takes careful note of the landmarks described, particularly Deepmine Keep.

Listening to the Magus describing his new position, Korugan considers the implications. Race politics? he wonders. Certainly there were many dwarves in the slave pits, and none here. But for it to matter to the Archon...

"Is the Archon a dwarf himself, Magus? I doubt he would otherwise care that my kind is under-represented here. Unless there are political forces at work."

He takes careful note that Ni'amoz is his new... what? Manager? Owner? A wizard should be precise in his terminology, after all. Still, it is what it is - and far better than it could have been.

The thought of food and a comfortable rest is very tempting, and Korugan has to remind himself sternly not to cut short a chance to understand his situation. What he learns now may shape his life for years to come; it would be unwise to rush that.

7. - Top - End - #67

Emma accepts the food eagerly, and begins devouring it as if it was the first meal she had ever eaten. Indeed, for all her recent experience, it may well have been. The potatoes are seasoned well, a mixture of herbs and salt, and the onions have just begun to caramelize, providing a hint of sweetness with a satisfying crunch. She scoops the egg onto the toast to make a small sandwich, and within a few minutes, the plate is emptied. Thus, she begins to respond.

"Thank you," she says, realizing she had never introduced herself, nor did she know this kindly woman's name. "I am Emma Pepperpot. I come from a realm that adjoins this one, but there is little travel between our planes. Indeed, I came here by accident. The people from this plane who I first met seemed friendly enough, but the alcohol they supplied me with was stronger than my short stature was accustomed to, and in my drunken state they captured me and sold me to slavers, who sold me to the Archon. It seems fortunate that it was he who bought me, rather than some of the other paths that lay before me." Glancing around the room, she adds, "I am grateful, and will serve him to the best of my ability," she adds, in case anyone listening cared to report back to the Archon. "Your kindness is the first I have encountered in this world." A tear comes unbidden to her eye, but she wipes it away, attempting to cover it with a careless scratch of her cheek.

"So the Archon is like... the king? An ancestral position and ruler of the area? What is the extent of his domain? Are there other Archons, in other cities? The man who bought me said I was to be used for translating--what sort of people meet with the Archon?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gator mimes a lewd act at the Ogre and says, "Mind Flayers would starve to death on you, you stupid Giant dropping. I have killed Ogres bigger than you." to the dwarf in the other cell he says, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Some make a lovely thump.", loudly enough for the ogre to hear.

Gator turns away from the Ogre ignoring the results of his jibe, again trying to enrage the dumb beast with the air of unconcern about him as he walks to his bunk and hops in to go to sleep.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[17] Perform for the lewd action, (1d20+4)[16] Bluff for the nonchalant walk to the bunk and sleep. (1d20+9)[17] Tumble into the bed, and a (1d20+1)[19] to Intimidate for kicks

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

As we are still in the "first day" IC, I will note that you may make a sense motive check any time you feel there is more to uncover, or that you are being lied to. It is only as relevant as you think it is . In the future, it will be rare that I prompt you for one.

Show
    Yes, Archon is a dwarf, quite astute. She says, eyeing you with an arched eyebrow. She takes a moment to think before continuing. The man I was bidding against for your life was the uncle of the Archon, named Jabban. You will note that the Archon is referred to by his office, or 'Your Majesty' or 'Your Grace.' You may know privately that he was born Berrian, but referring to him by name is quite disrespectful. I advise you to keep that in the front of your mind.

As for your other... suggestions for motive, everything is political when dealing with His Majesty. Though he rules over the most stable period in Araxicazzan since his great grandfather discovered the great vein of gemstones, the one upon which Deepmine rests, he is a paranoid man. I'd say his mother weened him from the breast and spoon fed him on suspicion. He looks for plots and schemes everywhere, and surrounds himself with kin or people whose loyalty he has long since bought. Our order advises the Archon from time to time, and serve him as it pleases His Majesty. Given that Jabban had interest in bringing you into service of the Archon, it is my suspicion that your presence will make His Majesty more receptive of our wisdom.

Show
    Emma, Emma, a beautiful name, how fitting, yes. My name is Runa, and the children call me Grandmother. The crone says with a genuine smile. My mother was bought into service here so long ago, when the first Archon was still constructing the Untergang. You're born free in Araxicazzan, you know. I never slept with an empty belly, so when I came of age, I decided to serve Deepmine Keep. Oh so many years have gone by, but there has always been plenty of food. Not many free people can say the same. She drones on a little, becomes thoughtful, but snaps out of it. I am so sorry, Emma, you know how one gets when their old. Memories, memories. You had questions. The Archon rules all of Araxicazzan, as has his father, and his father, and his father. The first Archon had found the great mine beneath us, the wealth of which His Majesty trades for food and goods and oh so many things. What started as just a mine turned into this great city!

I'm not so certain of other cities. I haven't been anywhere else in my life, and I haven't left these kitchens in ninety years. I used to bring the dessert out when His Majesty entertained a guest, but I never said anything to them. They were all dressed so nicely! If you smell chocolate baking in the kitchens, you know that someone important is visiting!
    She goes on again. Some were from the surface, and some were from other planes, like you! One time I think I saw a devil meeting with the Third Archon. That one was the father of this Archon, and I think he only speaks dwarven. I suppose he might need your help speaking to one of his guests?

You are a rather inquisitive one, aren't you? I guess that is natural. Your path here being so unfortunate. I can answer any question you have. And any time you are hungry, you can come to the kitchens!

Gator and Gronz have both gone to rest. I will advance them on my next post.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    I could hardly ignore a prod like that, but then, I'm fairly sure it'sa safe bet I'm not being told everything. Whether Korugan realises that... (1d20+8)[12]

Korugan inclines his head in deference. "I trust it will go as you hope; I can give no assurances as to the reactions of others, but you can be sure of my loyal service."

For now,
    he mentally adds. After all, he likes what he has seen thus far and Ni'amoz is a valuable patron to cultivate. But his first loyalty is to himself; his second, to the Hidden One. He will keep faith as long as his purposes remain aligned with theirs.

Seeing no reason to further delay his supper, he adds: "By your leave, I will return to my chambers. I suspect I will need to be well rested for the morrow."

11. - Top - End - #71

"You have a keen eye," Emma says flatteringly. "My mother always said my curiosity would get me into trouble. I guess she was right after all--if I hadn't been so curious, I would never have left my home plane." She shrugs. "It sounds like things could have gone worse for me, though. One final question before I depart: you mentioned the Untergang? Who are they?"

Sense Motive (for everything up to this point, and the next response): (1d20)[19]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Your suspicion reveals nothing. Ni'amoz has a stolid disposition, giving no hint of ulterior motive.

You may find your way to your chamber, as you wish. She says calmly, waving you away. Your empty belly grumbling, it feels like the trek down the spiral stairs takes longer than the way up had. It is only when you find yourself at the end of the stairs that you realize you had gone too far, and return three flights up to the suite that has your room. You find Nim and Nix didnt wait up for you, and went to sleep already. There are four others in bunks, all asleep, and so you decide not to disturb them. You find that nobody shares your bunk room, and there is a plate with two loaves of warm bread and a bit of butter. With further inspection, you discover that one loaf has no top and is hollowed and filled with a mushroom stew.

But for mild snoring coming from nearby, it is silent, and you are able to eat undisturbed and find sleep.

Show
    As far as you can tell, Runa is genuinely cheerful to have you around, appreciates the chance to be informative, and is honestly eager to welcome you back.

Oh the Untergang isn't a who, it is a what. It is a facility that houses most of the slave classes. Those destined for the wealthier mines, and the gladiators who do combat for the entertainment of so many. It is far easier to manage them by housing them in one great complex. Those who serve more personal roles like you are housed with those whom they serve, and tend to be a less rambunctious lot anyway. The bunks are swelling in the Untergang, so I hear. The Archon's birthday is coming up, and they plan to make an event out of it at the Pit. The Archon will have guests, maybe your service will allow you to attend His Majesty and see some of the games?

Runa is sad to see you part, but welcomes you to come back once more. She gives you a small bag of dried cherries from the surface world, In case you wake up hungry, child. And then bids you good evening.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2020-09-17 at 10:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

"Thank you," Emma says as she accepts the gift of dried cherries, and for the first time in this strange new world, feels like she potentially has found someone she might be able to possibly trust--maybe. "For your kindness, and for your generosity." Rather than returning straight away to her bedroom, she explores a bit of the castle? she thinks, lacking a more accurate descriptor. Careful not to stray too far, she looks only to satisfy her curiosity for a general layout, trying to get a sense of where she would most likely be working the next day.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Sleep is a long time in coming, as Korugan reflects on the events of the day and the possibilities for the days to come.

Why should the Archon be more receptive to the words of a dwarf with bare hours' acquaintance with the Tower, than a drow magus of many years' standing? Are his prejudices truly so deep - or has he good reason to mistrust the mages?

It is possible Ni'amoz expects something of him he will be unable to deliver. In this place, his longevity may be proportionate to his usefulness. For a slave is a chattel, and the law does not protect a chattel from its owner; he must constantly prove his value, or else be discarded.

So be it. He knows his worth, and has no fear of proving it.

His thoughts grow less coherent as sleep besieges his consciousness. His last thought before he descends into sleep is of the expression of rage on the slave master's face earlier.

If he sees the orc again, he must be on his guard.

But then, if the Veiled One wills it, the next time he sees the slaver he will kill him.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Gator and Gronz
    Show
    You are suddenly awoken by the sound of a blunt instrument banging against several bars of a cell next to you. Wake Up, Fresh Meat! Time to see what you're made of. You might crack your eyelids to see Tallan standing up. Whatever peace was brought in your sleep, it is now over.

Rubbing the sleep out of your eyes, you hear chains clink together and a key twist in a heavy lock. Tallan's door is opened, and he is once again cuffed at the wrists. His cuffs are then added to a chain, where seven others are in front. The jailers next move to your cell, they are three in total, all are clearly orcish mixed with human. Stand up and hold out your hands, wrists upward. The one in front says to you both. He bears a key, and the other two are holding greatclubs.

Show
    It is a long hallway leading back to the doorway that you entered, which leads to the courtyard. However, when you try at the handle, you find it locked. Undeterred, you turn back, and attempt to explore more of the area you have available to you.

After the kitchens is a deeper pantry, with barrels filled with salts, spices, and dried nuts and fruits. The path continues on, and the next open area in the twisting hallway is your bedroom. Continuing on, you see more small rooms cut into the stone appearing every so often, each containing one or two people sleeping in a room similar to yours. By all appearances, the enslaved staff of this keep are all afforded some comfort and privacy. Satisfied with what you have seen, you return to your room, and get some well deserved rest. Your sleep is dreamless, and you are awoken suddenly by a stranger. You quickly recognize him as one of the dwarven boys that had been ordered around by Runa last night. It's morning. He says, nudging you at the shoulder. The Steward will be here in no more than twenty minutes. He says urgently, and then leaves

By the way, I had to change the name of the steward, his name was too close to the dwarven NPC in Gronz and Gator's post. He is now Steward Boloram

Show
    Your sleep is as fitful, and you wake up dwelling on the same frustrating thoughts as the evening before. You slept lightly as well, and are awoken to the sound of a drawer being closed nearby. You step out of bed to see, and find Nim is already up and had been walking toward your room. Oh good, you're awake. She says, holding eye contact and smiling fully, with more pep than an overcaffeinated gnome. Breakfast is in the Greatroom. It is on the entry-level, seven floors up! Don't be the last one there! She turns and heads to the door; you can bet that she wants to be the first to breakfast.

Show
    Fast Forward, we can resolve however you ended the night when you have time to post.

Your sleep comes fast, and you feel more rested than you have since you were last a free woman. You awaken as the dwarves in the several bunks rustle to leave their bunks and dress themselves. A few even leave their cell to use the wash room - your captors must not fear you leaving your bunks, which comes as a shock. A sturdy dwarf, armed in mithril, with a clipboard in hand while a hammer swings from his belt. You lot are new, here is the deal. Your Master has permit to mine Tunnel-Three. He is one of of four people who are permitted to Tunnel-Three, and his group is Group D. In the mines, if you hear someone shout Three-D, you will set whatever is in your hands to the floor, put your hands on your head, and stay absolutely still. There will be overseers patrolling with the carts that bring out the rock, jewels, and whatever else you pry from the earth. Cross them once, you'll be whipped on the spot. A second time and you lose your hand. You won't disobey a third time. Am I understood?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Gronz will arise as beckoned. Not fully understanding what is meant by wrists upwards he will lackadaisically raise his arms.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    This is akin to what us modern day folk would refer to as T-rex arms. Palms parallel to the ground attempting to raise his wrists

Gronz shows no emotion, many times has he been eager to prepare for his first fight but each time no combat has been faced. He now expects the mundane.

The heated words of last night were the first taste of ferocity he has had in recent memory. But still he believes some occasion will arise to prevent his fun from being had.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Korugan takes a few minutes to wash and dress, using the familiar routine to chase away the last vestiges of sleep. That done, he sets off after Nim.

18. - Top - End - #78

Her insatiable curiosity seemingly satisfied, or at least subdued considering her temporal constraints, Emma returns to her chambers and sleeps significantly more soundly than she has for several nights.

In her dreams she is visited by other versions of herself, versions that may have been. She sees herself toiling away in the mines, disfigured and broken. A moment of wakefulness, and she sees herself instead in some vague combat arena, skewered at the end of a minotaur's spear. Awakened with a start by her own fictitious demise, and she falls asleep quickly, only to see herself working in some toxic factory, choking and coughing on acrid smokes.

Awaking fully rested, if a bit perturbed, she is preparing her spells for the day when the dwarven kitchen-boy arrives. "Thank you," she says, and if he is willing to give her his name, she acknowledges it and returns her own. She prepares herself for the day, clothing herself in the provided attire, and waits eagerly anticipating what challenge the Steward has in store for her, grateful to have been spared the harsh lives offered by the slavers.

19. - Top - End - #79

Vas chuckles to see the rats. being in such a strange place under such circumstances were making her paranoid. But that would keep her safe, keep her on her toes. She settled down to sleep, planning for the next day.

(The Next Day)
    It would be impossible to hide an offensive soulmeld, her preferred ones being giant claws, but she wouldn't go on completely defenseless. She meditates to bind a single soulmeld. A leather circlet appeared around her head, decorated with the beast totems of her ex tribe. Should she encounter monstrous danger, she may be able to befriend it.
    Spoiler: Beast Tamer Circlet
    Show
    Customised its appearance a little. +6 Insight to Wild Empathy

Vas nods at the instructor, making affirmative noises only if others do. She doesn't want to stand out, hopefully after a day or two of planning she could be out of here.
    Last edited by Timble; 2020-09-28 at 01:24 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Gator and Gronz
    Show
    You are taken, with the others on your side of the hallway, deeper into the Untergang, before turning to the left. Fifteen more minutes of marching in a dark, unlit tunnel and you come to a room not unlike a locker-room. There are steam-baths, ice pools, and benches all along the walls. there are buckets of chalk powder here and there next to the benches as well. There is a stair leading up eight steps on the opposite side of the room, and to the right of it are a pair of orcs in a caged room. They possess a great many racks of weapons and suits of mail.

Once the last of you is led into the area, your captors - who are well armored and armed - release you from the chain-gang and allow you to wonder freely about the room. There remain manacles on your hands.

Soon, the next chain gang enters the room and receives the same treatments as you. This group includes the ogre from the night before, his stare is hungry and lifeless. More guards spill in behind them, with a whisper gnome bringing up the rear. He is dressed in black satin pants with a leather shirt - one of the orcs that accompany him walks to the wall and retrieves a barrel with a lid. The gnome climbs atop his stool and announces to you.

Fresh Meat! You are one door away from the infamous Pit; our gladiator arena, where most of you will die in a melee over the next several days. That is because in ten days, we are celebrating the Archon's birthday. We will kick off his birthday week in two days with the first round of games. You lot will be included in a grand melee - your event will end when half of you are dead. Two days later, same deal. Two days later, same deal. And then two days later, on the Archon's birthday, you will play to the last man standing. Whichever of you bastards is the luckiest will then get to live a few more days until you resume the life of a gladiator. He shrugs. Eventually you all die. The record is 46 fights, maybe one of you makes it to 47. He says fatalistically. Today you will train. We have blunted weapons and cheap plate and leather over there, pick a sparring partner and get to work. He dismisses you to ready yourselves.

Show
    A few floors up and you come to a landing with a grand oaken door, several non-magical runes carved into the metal that reinforces it's edges. You push - the door swings open surprisingly easy - to reveal a grand room with several circular tables separated with enough room for three to walk comfortably abreast. The cavernous room has long tapestries falling from the ceiling - alternating cream and crimson. Balls of light - a soft white glow that is inoffensive to the eye - slowly float around above you, causing faint shadows to dance around your feet.

Every empty seat has an empty bowl with a spoon, and half of the tables are filled with cloaked people. You do not recognize a face as you scan the room until you see Nim, sitting by herself, waving at you. She is sitting quite near the center of the room.

Show
    The time passes slowly, so eager you are to discover what your fate is - what led you to be chosen for this place at this time. But the time does come; you hear soft footfalls at a slow pace approach your little room. The familiar face turns the corner, you see Steward Boloram in neutral colors and a scroll of parchment in hand. You look far more rested than yesterday, this is good. I have discovered that your morning is more notable than one might expect. The Archon, and his family, are breaking their fast. I am to bring you to them at the request of His Majesty's uncle. I recommend that whatever it is they ask of you, that you express yourself as the grateful servant. You appear ready, but the Archon is not in any hurry to finish his meal, you have a minute to gather yourself if you need it.

Show
    You are led out the front of the complex, and your group is bid to walk to turn left. your path is clear, and lined with soldiers, as you are led passed the Crimson Tower (you remember that someone you met at the auction compound was destined for there) to the base of Deepmine Keep. It earned it's name all right, a mine shaft has been dug into the stone at the base of the fort, leading down at a steep angle. You descend. After thirty seconds of steep walking, the descent becomes gentler, and you can comfortably stand up straight.

Every twenty feet is a heatless torch in this misshapen tunnel. the wall is marked with deep scratches while the walkway is worn smooth. You must watch your step, as tracks for mine carts have been laid to aid excavation. An hour or more of walking at the pace of a forced march is hardly interrupted, and even then, it is only by some divergent mine shaft, one which you are not destined for. The dwarf who retrieved you keeps you moving along. Your ears pop from the pressure from being so deep, before you are bid to halt. The dwarf hands you off to an overseer and his subordinates - another burly dwarf, accompanied by others of his ilk, who has two picks that look better suited for war than mining at his hip. Arright, he spits to the ground, and you can see he is missing most of his teeth. You all are the new ones. You will walk down this shaft thirty paces and turn left. The other team is ninety paces down and on the right. The Masser has several tunnels branching off and rotates between 'em. If you find rubies, you holler. If you find other gems or metals, holler too. I'll come by and take a look. Other than that, keep your chatterin' down so I dont have to come for nothin'.

Your spot has a cart and picks, for carving out rocks and gatherin' them up. In a few hours you will be brought bread. Oh, and be watchful, most o' the good gems are often watched by earth elementals. You find one o' them, hit em with your picks andget back to digging!
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Gronz will first look to the steam baths, if there is space he will find an area to submerge and limber up. if there is space for 3, he will invite Gator and if he can find the dwarf he believes to be Tallan he will invite him along as well.

If Tallan joins is the steam bath Gronz will ask about his life before captivity, he said it was his first time on this side of the bars. If tallan doesn't have a soak Gronz will look for him after he dries off, as he begins to suit up for training.

Same situation with Gator, however, he would tell Gator he is going to the steam bath so he can easily be found in case the ogre decides to be a **** again. When they are preparing he would ask Gator questions more related to his combat efficacy.

When it comes time to browse the training gear, he will look for a suit of heavy armor, the heavier the better, and will look for weapons of size classification large. In terms of shields he will look for tower, otherwise he will lean towards a 2-handed weapon. Gronz will also look high and low for his own gear before he begins dressing, as his armor, weapons, and trinkets such as caltrops were no longer with his belongings when given.

Please let me know what rolls I need to make, if any, to accomplish this

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Korugan makes his way over to Nim, offering her a smile of greeting. Taking a seat next to her, he looks around to see if he can spot a servant or at least somewhere to help himself to breakfast.

While he does so, he is also trying to gauge who the assembled mages are, paying particular attention to their clothing and to the symbols of status he has been told about.

After a moment he turns his full attention to Nim, careful to adopt an attentive and friendly demeanour.

"Well, I hope I'm not the last, but I see I'm certainly not the first,"
    he says to Nim with a wry chuckle. "So what do they serve for breakfast that made you raced up here so quickly?"

23. - Top - End - #83

After finishing her preparations, Emma nods to indicate her readiness. "Is this customary?"

24. - Top - End - #84

Vas takes a pick and obeys orders. She may not find a way out today, but she'll be planning for the future.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Gator, knowing his best chance of survival was to stick with his Half Giant cell mate, joined Gronz in the steam baths.

I work best with a nice crossbow or my darts. In a pinch, I'll use my morning start to bash someone over the head. Of course, I prefer to use my opponents strength against them if I can.

Gator would be continually searching for the tools he needs to improve upon his situation. Anything that could be used as a lockpick on these manacles, or the cell door in the Untergang, and be hidden from the guards as they left the training room. (1d20+8)[10] for searching.

Gator would also be paying particular attention to the Steam room and how it operates, if there are any nooks or crannies or possible hiding places, and how the room stays hot/steamy.

(1d20+8)[27] to search for my preferred weapons in the correct size among the racks.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Gronz and Gator
    Show
    Gator, you find a loose nail, two inches in length, where the floor meets the wall close to the weapons lock-up. You both get to the counter with the training gear. The equipment you request is readily available, though dented and dulled. such would be ineffective in true combat, but for a sparring session, it will do. Your strikes will still bruise and cut, though maiming and killing would be quite difficult with these weapons. The servicemen at the counter beckon you to stop inspecting your gear and head to the ground.

Tallan, for what he is worth, is equipped with a two-handed hammer and a bronze, beat up breastplate. He is right behind you as you ascend the stairs. Opening the door, you are washed in unnatural light. How a grand stadium like this could be hidden within the rocks of Araxicazzan isn't hard to imagine - this is a mining city after all, they can bore and tunnel into stone to form this cavernous arena as part of their routine business. But still, 90,000 could attend easily, with more in the standing room near the edge of the fighting pit. The rough stone has been smoothed and seats have been lain, sand is scattered on the ground to absorb blood and sweat. Four drow are seated near the front, all wearing crimson robes and one of whom bears a staff.

Not far behind you, others start pouring into the arena. Before long, the ogre ascends. He weilds a mighty club that looks no-less lethal than what you have seen outside of your imprisonment, and his armor is stretched and torn animal skins. He gestures with the club at Gronz and Gator - I will take you both on at once. Let us see if you are as brave without walls and bars between us.

IRL, if you have been to Wembley Stadium, this arena is an underground copy. The concessions are closed.

If you accept his challenge, you may roll initiative at the end of your post.

Show
    She shows you how to get your food - all it takes is a tapping of your spoon against the bowl, and it fills with a porridge that tastes of almonds and honey. It is not so rich as to irritate a cavity, but the sweetness is more than you have had in a long time. And it is filling, your stomach is as full as it can be. There are small pains, given that you had essentially starved in the slave cart, but your stomach is grateful for a filling meal all the same.

It isnt the what that I am after... Nim replies with a wink and a smile. It is who is at breakfast. Every Magus here, but for the Archmagus, is prompt and punctual. I want to rise high here, and they can choose individuals who impress them to be a personal acolyte. I am enthusiastic, quick, on time, and always ready because of that. I want to be included in those secret meetings they hold upstairs, and learn their deepest secrets. Nim says with glee. She lifts her cup of tea from the saucer, and it fills with a black tea that smells like smoke and spice. I want to see those stars again. Oh, I see your moon, you are lucky that the cut is so slim. Mine was almost a half-moon, see? Tell me, what did the stars look like last night?

Your conversation continues uninterrupted for a few minutes, when you notice the head table filling up. Ni'amoz is there with many of the Magi from the night before, as well as others who were not in attendance of your "ceremony." They all are focused on their own matters, with little conversation between them. Ni'amoz spots you from her seat, but soon after has conversation with a lively gnome next to her.

Show
    Steward Boloram takes a pensive moment; No, no it is not. He says simply and patiently. Now, if you will follow me.

He takes you through the winding hall, to the open courtyard that had been locked last night. The courtyard is an oval, and the entrance is to your right, and a dozen or so doors dot the long side to your left. The Steward takes you to the very middle door of those, a large set of double doors, with large brass knockers. The Steward walks slowly and deliberately, and the doors open for him with no attendant pulling them. The open doors reveal a modest entry room with a hallway that leads on. Everlasting torches dot the hall, and you see rich tapestries showing various dwarves that all bear a familial resemblance decorating the way.

The Steward leads you to the throne room, over a hundred feet long and fifty feet wide. There are several nice chairs pushed to the side of the room, as well as benches that could sit 10 people each. All out of the way when they are not in need. There is a stone chair carved into the wall on the far end, and the only thing between you and the throne is a circular table with ten dwarves seated. Almost every head is turned away from you, but you spot two faces. One is the uncle of the Archon who had purchased you, and next to him is a younger dwarf, with a rich red beard with a braid in the middle, held by three large silver rings. A small silver crown dots his head, it is a single silver band with big red rubies the size and shape of quail eggs. This must be the Archon.

Indeed, that dwarf stands to his feet and gestures with his whole hand at you. He asks of his uncle - This is the one? I thought you had more sense about you uncle. You have been tricked by red hair.

It isnt the hair. Look at the eyes, she is Planar. He responds coolly. His nephew may be the Archon, but the uncle clearly speaks like an elder to him.

The Archon strides powerfully, his boots clap upon the stone floor and the sound echoes all around. He gets to you, looks directly into your eyes, looking for something.Where are you from, girl? Speak up. Tell me what my uncle saw in you.

Show
    You find your mining tunnel and gear easily enough. Your tunnel is mostly bare, but one of the dwarves in your party finds red specks along the the rock. These are chips of ruby. Aye, there are jewels to be found. Your team picks their spots along the wall, and for hours you chip away at stone. You make better progress than you imagined - four hours in and you have widened your space of the tunnel by two feet. You have a full wheelbarrow of stone, and you turn to empty it into the mining cart that held your gear. Behind you, it sounds like a hundred pebbles fall to the floor, and your companion who had been mining to your left, who had recognized the ruby chips in the wall, shouts... ARRRGGGH.

You turn to look, and a rotund mass just larger than that dwarf is picking itself up from the ground. A glowing red rock in it's face indicates an eye-like opening, and it moves to strike your companion.

You may roll initiative, and post your action-in-combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87

Emma considers how to play this moment, wondering whether she should appear ignorant, or betray her identity. She recalls the advice of her mother: When in doubt, tell the truth--if only because it is the easiest to remember.

"I was born in a small community, little more than a homestead. We were self-sufficient, and miners by trade. We nourished ourselves on water from an underground pool, and the various fungi that grew in the dark. My mother told me the name of the world was <Elemental Plane of Fire>," she says, using the Ignan language to describe the name of the world. "But I never had cause to use it." She looks at the Archon's uncle, then back to the Archon. "It would seem my purchase, and my subsequent employment, are as unusual as my presence here. If you tell me what you need from me, I can be of greater use."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+1)[7]

Without hesitation Gronz will charge the bitch. Whether Gator was prepared or willing, Gronz has been waiting for this for far longer than just last night's encounter. Eager to cave in his putrid skull he swings with all his might.

Spoiler: Large Greatclub
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6] damage (3d8+7)[23]

Spoiler: right numbers?
    Show
    This is my first experience with 3.5e. I believe I only get +5 to hit for 20 Str 2 handed but I get the bonus damage. Also, if you could let me know what my AC is for this encounter that'd be nice. On the table I found a large greatclub is 3d8 + 1.5Str but it didn't seem right.
    let me know if I need to change it

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fool, Korugan thinks to himself. Why should the mages care how eagerly you rush to dine? What does that prove - except to give the impression you are ruled by your appetites?

Still, he says nothing of this to the eager drow. He takes a minute to enjoy the meal, relishing the simple pleasure of hot food, before he answers.

"The stars were bright and full of promise. It was easy to see why some might regard them as portents of the future.

"You speak of the stars as one born to the world above. How did you come to serve the Crimson Tower?"

30. - Top - End - #90

Init: (1d20+1)[2]

Cursing mentally at having to resort to physical weapons, Vas charges at the elemental. She aims to come at it from the side while it was focused on another.
    Spoiler: Charge
    Show
    Well, a heavy pick is a 1 handed martial weapon, so not proficient. (1d20+4)[22] for (1d6+5)[8]
    Last edited by Timble; 2020-10-15 at 05:04 AM.