New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Wait, is this true about humans and fish?

I just heard humans can consume amoxicillin intended for fish. I need serious confirmation if this is true, and if there are any health risks to take into consideration. Like, this can't be true...can it?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wait, is this true about humans and fish?

Call your physician, this seems like a medical question that we're not really allowed to weigh in on even if we're qualified.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Amoxicillin is amoxicillin. Impurities in amoxicillin absolutely vary, and the standards for what those impurities can be differ substantially between amoxicillin intended for fish and humans. Pet antibiotics are a relatively common desperation move for people in the US who can't afford to get a medical prescription, but (to stay shy of actual advice here) there's a reason people who have access to human grade stuff preferentially use it. Obviously I don't know the specifics of your situation; I couldn't give advice even if I was allowed to.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The one thing I know is that 1 person died and their spouse is in serious medical trouble for trying something intended for aquarium fish, despite being chemically the same, the devils is in the details.

Can't really say more than that because due to the current situation everything is considered "politics".

In short do *not* consume anything not intended for human consumption. There is a reason that's an important warning label. It's not medical advice, it's just common sense.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    The one thing I know is that 1 person died and their spouse is in serious medical trouble for trying something intended for aquarium fish, despite being chemically the same, the devils is in the details.

Can't really say more than that because due to the current situation everything is considered "politics".

In short do *not* consume anything not intended for human consumption. There is a reason that's an important warning label. It's not medical advice, it's just common sense.
    More appropriately, do not consume any prescription medication without your doctor's approval. Even if they are the same, taking medication you don't need, or the wrong dose of a medication you do need, is likely to do more harm than good.

If I were to speculate, I would say that there is likely no difference in the amoxicillin given to fish and the amoxicillin given to humans - though as mentioned, the impurities may vary. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic - it targets bacteria, and (in an ideal world) shouldn't play any pharmaceutical role in the people or animals it is given to. As such, the active ingredient shouldn't need to be altered from a patient one species to another - because you aren't giving it to the patient, as it were, you're giving it to the bacteria via the patient.

Again, though, this is theoretical speculation. I have no medical training, and even if I did, I couldn't give a professional opinion on this forum. If you're looking for an explanation to satisfy curiosity, or for a book, or whatever, this forum is fine. If you're looking for genuine medical advice, this is not the place.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Another complicating factor besides dosage amount and drug purity is the rate of absorption. Many/most pills are designed to release their drugs into your system at a controlled rate. Thus it's possible that even if you ingest the correct dose amount, the rate of drug delivery might be too fast or too slow.

Standard I am not a pharmacist disclaimer, just someone armed with Google and a little bit of knowledge.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    If I were to speculate, I would say that there is likely no difference in the amoxicillin given to fish and the amoxicillin given to humans...
    Staying away from actual advice, in the US, amoxicillin for ornamental fish has not been approved for usage by the FDA. This means there is absolutely no quality control or guarantee on the purity, efficiacy or even quantity of amoxicillin in the tablets, making them somewhat suspect for fish, let alone for humans.

Apparently a lot of tablets say 'USP' or pharmaceutical grade - the USP is just a supplier of (primarily) reference standards and so not a guarantee of quality - it's like a fast food place promoting their burgers by saying they look exactly like In-N-Out burgers; it doesn't mean they have the same taste, quality of ingredients or even the same level of food hygiene and safety.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
    I need serious confirmation if this is true, and if there are any health risks to take into consideration.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Then you should consult a medical professional, and not ask random internet people. Please do not ask for professional advice on this forum.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2